Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

The Steak Justice posted:

The best way to get the Dark Boy achievement in rebirth is by sheer accident after it was the last achievement you got in the original.
Speaking from experience at least.

Yeah I somehow got all four _____ Boy achievements before having even unlocked It Lives. Rebirth seems very polarized in terms of items, I never really have runs where I just kind of limp through the game and claw my way to victory, I either get ridiculously good items and stomp my way through everything or I grab loving Soy Milk or something like it and my run immediately comes to a screaming halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Want to know what's cool? Mutant Spider on Azazel, letting me practically inhale the boss rush room.

Want to know what isn't? Collecting my prize and realizing it's Technology.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
People still complaining about Bob's Brain. :gitgud:

Also maybe I'm just crazy or something but in the handful of times I got the dark bum it didn't always spit out soul hearts at a 1:1 ratio. Some times it would eat a heart and not do anything.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Sanctum posted:

Did you use your re-roll in the curse room after becoming guppy, and if so did guppy's head re-roll into the goat head for you as well?

With the judgement card on the 2nd floor you can re-roll his payout in the devil room into mom's knife. By the time I reached caves I was guppy w/ triple shot mom's knives. :neckbeard:

I don't have the D6 yet- but if I pick up the guppy items then bomb the chest I get the Mask of Infamy. If I blow up the chest before picking up the guppy items I get guppy's head. Weird.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Just saved my Eden with Soy Milk run by getting Guppy. Thank god for that since I had no idea how much longer I could last.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
welp, couldnt beat post satan stage with dark bum + lots of dmg + brimstone. dark bum def seems to be nerfed a bit.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just realized that I've played the last five games on Hard. :ughh:

Spoiler: it's a lot harder. I was wondering why no goddamn resources were dropping.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jibo posted:

People still complaining about Bob's Brain. :gitgud:

Also maybe I'm just crazy or something but in the handful of times I got the dark bum it didn't always spit out soul hearts at a 1:1 ratio. Some times it would eat a heart and not do anything.

When I got the dark bum it would only eat a half heart and do nothing (and then spit out a soul heart after another half heart)

Also unless I had like small planet or something gimmicky, I'm not picking up Bob's Brain. It's a pretty bad item.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Now that the game is patched, I can finally play for real! (I somehow managed to beat Mom's Heart twice while completely blind)
I tried out Azazel and got Dark Bum in the basement, then was able to get to and easily destroy Sheol for the first time. :toot:

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Bob's Brain has some quirks with it, and once you get used to those it's easier to handle. It actually has a cooldown when you enter a room, where it won't fly off for a few seconds. Then it also has the same cooldown after it respawns. These delays make it less likely that you're going to blow yourself up.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I gotta say, the best way to beat some of these challenges has to be the randomizer rooms, Head trauma was beaten thanks to a completely different loadout.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Hard Mode seems interesting. It's less everything is harder and more attrition strategies will not work. The enemies take longer to kill so you can't hope to DPS race them, and with less hearts dropping its harder to facetank.

Of course, there's the bullshit moments when it screws you out of a key. Those are never fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pixeltendo posted:

I gotta say, the best way to beat some of these challenges has to be the randomizer rooms, Head trauma was beaten thanks to a completely different loadout.

Sadly, that'll usually ruin the run if you're on a blindfolded challenge.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

The Steak Justice posted:

The best way to get the Dark Boy achievement in rebirth is by sheer accident after it was the last achievement you got in the original.
Speaking from experience at least.

I got all the boy achievements by accident except the caves and now that I'm trying I fail every time. So annoying.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

dis astranagant posted:

Sadly, that'll usually ruin the run if you're on a blindfolded challenge.

like invalidate it so your victory won't count? or you mean you keep the blindfold on after reshuffling your item pickups and now have no way to kill stuff?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Let me tell you about my most hilarious run yet

Lazarus + brimstone + homing tear + wiggle waggle + spider bite + 100% chance of poison tears and some other poo poo

It ripped through poo poo faster than my print screen function worked. Brimstone looping everywhere because that's what wiggle waggle + homing does apparently.

And that was without any damage upgrades. r i d i c u l o u s

M42 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 8, 2014

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Well had my first randomizer room, so long soy milk and hello Ludovico Technique and Gemini baby following me around. It let me keep Guppy which was nice of it and now I spawn a horde of spiders also which is certainly something.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm not sure what I expected the chaos card to do, but literally one-shotting the lamb wasn't it.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Just had the most broken run I've ever had. First floor as Azazael picked up some item that turned my attack into just a ring of brimstone that I had to move around manually. Then I picked up a health up pill and spent my one heart container on a Pact. Then the next boss dropped a Pentagram. Then the next item room had a Money = Power and I was able to use the drop doubler thing on a room with like 8 cents on the floor already.

Boss rush room was piss easy, beat mom's heart in less than 30 seconds. The only hard part was keeping track of my character and my attack both in the XL rooms,

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I decided to try my first Eden run for shits and giggles. Decent starting roll, somehow made it to the the Boss Rush with a very middling build (Shield, Dead Onion, I think one more damage up) and got through with my one red heart left, so I'm pretty much hosed for the womb. Until I notice the Boss Rush prize was Dark Bum who turned the 40 hearts littering the floor into soul hearts.

They I tried my first Azazel run and the first item room was Ludivico. Second item room was Infestation 2 and I spent the rest of the run with an army of about 50 spiders following me because I was killing things too fast for them to do any damage and despawn.

I love this loving game.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
This little guy wanted to play the solar system challenge, too. He was immune to my flies.

Unfortunately, he beat me in the end.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

M42 posted:

Let me tell you about my most hilarious run yet

Lazarus + brimstone + homing tear + wiggle waggle + spider bite + 100% chance of poison tears and some other poo poo

I'm a big fan of hook worm brimstone

Have yet to see it with ring worm.

Also just wanna say that shielded piercing tears are pretty much a free win on their own if you can manage to dodge bodies and brimstone, I wasn't a big fan of shielded tears on their own, but I definitely see the appeal now.

e: also I just got lord of the flies, does it do anything besides flight plus fly charming?

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 8, 2014

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

drunken officeparty posted:

So can someone spoil me on all the different levels/bosses there are. It took me a good while to get to the chest/??? boss fight in the original and it'll just be longer to get to whatever the hell is past that now.

Noticed no one answered this yet.

Okay, so there's 2 big things that Rebirth added to the endgame. The first is a new floor, called the Dark Room, which is accessed by bringing the negative to Satan and beating him, in much the same way that you'd bring the polaroid to the Isaac fight and then get to enter the chest. The boss on this floor is known as The Lamb; he's not too terrible.

That's the first thing. The second is a true final boss. Mega Satan (yes, that's his name,) is a very bullet hell-y fight, probably the most bullet hell-y the game gets. I'm still a bit hazy on how to actually get to him.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.

goferchan posted:

like invalidate it so your victory won't count? or you mean you keep the blindfold on after reshuffling your item pickups and now have no way to kill stuff?

The latter.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If satan and hitler had a child it would be one of those loving cubone thrower things.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

GeneX posted:

That's the first thing. The second is a true final boss. Mega Satan (yes, that's his name,) is a very bullet hell-y fight, probably the most bullet hell-y the game gets. I'm still a bit hazy on how to actually get to him.

The best hint I would give you is Try blowing up some statues. Note that this only works after you've unlocked the negative or polaroid.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Whow. Using the bed as the blue baby brought me from 2 soul hearts to 5. I just assumed it only healed red hearts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How does the nerfed Dark Bum compare to the Mitre?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

dis astranagant posted:

How does the nerfed Dark Bum compare to the Mitre?

Still game-winning and borderline breaking. Which is fine with me. It only gives 1 soul heart for every 1.5 hearts.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How do I get to The Chest as well as whatever other new zone there apparently is.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

How do I get to The Chest as well as whatever other new zone there apparently is.

If its just the same as BoI, then that might be it too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I just got Anti-gravity Tears on Lazarus/Brimstone. I actually really like the effect, if only because I can leave a shot behind and then move to safety. Plus, even the vortex while it's forming does damage, so it's actually really good if you can get enemies to jump on it!

Also got a new familiar called Mongo Baby. He looks like a frakensteinish mish mash of familiars, but all I could see from him is that he shot faster and harder than the other ones (although that alone makes him way better, especially dealing with spiders and such).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man, Ringworm is a horrid trinket to use when you don't have any other shot buffs. High speed shots, quad shots, lasers, brimstone, I imagine they work rather well with Ringworm (and I know high speed orbital shots work hilariously well with Ringworm) but it's horrible on the Basement/Cellar if you don't have anything fancy going on.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd say Bob's Brain is closer to a run-saver than a run-loser, it's big chunk of additive damage that will make any bossfight at least bearable. It's a little awkward when you're fighting nearby enemies but you can usually just chuck it off to the side to "distract" it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
First try as Judas, and first boss rush!

I mean, I guess I didn't need any other items at this point, but really, that's the best you can do?

Those napalm tears are amazing by the way, especially when spectral. :allears:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alkydere posted:

Man, Ringworm is a horrid trinket to use when you don't have any other shot buffs. High speed shots, quad shots, lasers, brimstone, I imagine they work rather well with Ringworm (and I know high speed orbital shots work hilariously well with Ringworm) but it's horrible on the Basement/Cellar if you don't have anything fancy going on.
Luckily you can drop trinkets by holding control.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How do you unlock the boss rush? I've beaten the game several times now and have unlocked Sheol/Cathedral but never seen the boss rush.

Alkydere posted:

Almost all the worm trinkets just seem like gimmicks to use only when you have some weird item that combos with it. The only one I've found to be worth keeping with standard tears is the pulseworm since it makes your shots bigger without messing with their trajectory.

VVV Well poo poo, I play way too loving slow methodical to reach Mom in under 20 minute.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 8, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Internet Kraken posted:

How do you unlock the boss rush? I've beaten the game several times now and have unlocked Sheol/Cathedral but never seen the boss rush.

be faster

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Internet Kraken posted:

Kill mom under 20 minutes, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

Kill mom under 20 minutes, iirc.

This plus the little stopwatch on the floors when you're going between them shows you if you're on pace~