Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

seiferguy posted:

Still playing Bayonetta 1. I've been kind of lazy and missed a few Alfheims in previous chapters. Is it worth it to go back to previous chapters to complete them?

Also, what's the best costume? I rocked Peach for awhile, it's time to mix it up.

Link not only looks great, but has a free built-in parry option, so I'd go with that. You can wait until you beat the game to replay levels unless you want a better score. When you beat the game, you unlock a new difficulty that actually changes the enemy encounters in each level, so replaying is fresher and possibly funner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Link not only looks great, but has a free built-in parry option, so I'd go with that. You can wait until you beat the game to replay levels unless you want a better score. When you beat the game, you unlock a new difficulty that actually changes the enemy encounters in each level, so replaying is fresher and possibly funner.

That actually sounds more fun. Is there any penalty for switching difficulty midway through a story / chapter?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

seiferguy posted:

That actually sounds more fun. Is there any penalty for switching difficulty midway through a story / chapter?

You got to beat the game to unlock Hard mode. Have you done Chapter 5 yet?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

You got to beat the game to unlock Hard mode. Have you done Chapter 5 yet?

Yeah, just finished it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

This muspelheim where you can't touch the ground and the enemies can destroy the platforms is the first time I've been seriously frustrated in this game. Most of the time I fail within seconds of starting. Any tips for how to stay in the air and not totally lose my bearings for where I am and which way I'm moving?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

This muspelheim where you can't touch the ground and the enemies can destroy the platforms is the first time I've been seriously frustrated in this game. Most of the time I fail within seconds of starting. Any tips for how to stay in the air and not totally lose my bearings for where I am and which way I'm moving?

which one? if its the one with a bunch of the tiny angels spread out, use the swords or whips and clear out as many as you can quickly, then jump in the air and switch to guns and use your longest combos and don't stop.

also it's worth noting that you can jump off of enemies' heads if you time it right, and if you hold the jump button down you will fall much slower with her hover.

those ones can be tricky at first but once you get it down you'll probably pure platinum it with no issues

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I don't have a whip yet. Does that function like in the first game? Because holy poo poo that would make this a lot easier.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Also be sure to avoid doing any raw kicks in the air or you're taking an express trip straight to the floor. Probably half of my failures on those were due to that.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 7, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

chumbler posted:

Also be sure to avoid doing any raw kicks in the air or you're taking an rxpress trip straight to the floor. Probably half of my failures on those were due to that.

Half my failures have been from trying to do an afterburner kick to move to an enemy and having that happen instead. The other half have been from dodging an attack too early and plummeting straight to the ground.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Suaimhneas posted:

I don't have a whip yet. Does that function like in the first game? Because holy poo poo that would make this a lot easier.

No it doesn't. There's 3 of these muspelheims and they only get harder. The last one us just 2 platforms and I gave up on it.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Umbran Spear and to a lesser extent Umbran Crow; you should have these techniques by this point, they're the most useful things in completing these challenges before you get the whip. Best strategy is to equip the guns on both hands and feet and completely extend each punch/kick. Just the regular five punch combo is easiest. Once you finish the combo you should have enough magic to Umbran Spear to another enemy and jump off of them. Rinse and repeat. If you're doing these on 3rd climax or below the enemies are pretty docile though, it shouldn't be that hard. However, on Infinite Climax they'll tear through the platforms really quickly.

Also helps if you've already unlocked the Eternal Testimony accessory, as that gives you two orbs of magic automatically.

notZaar posted:

No it doesn't. There's 3 of these muspelheims and they only get harder. The last one us just 2 platforms and I gave up on it.

Hardest thing about that one is getting platinum in combo. I think you have to use Gaze of Despair to reach it, I managed to get platinum in the other two categories but combo was still gold. Plus, there only seems to be one way to do it: Set A with the guns/Alrune, Set B with Kafka/Guns. Use the whips to take out the little things quickly, then extend punches with the guns. Occasionally poisoning the big guy with Kafka helps too (but might lower your potential combo score? idk) It's a lot easier to jump off the Beloved as well, so if you start to get too close to the ground you can reset your jump off his back. I don't want to know how hard that musphelheim is on infinite climax though.

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 7, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I thought about using the crow, but I couldn't figure out a way to get out of crow form except dodging, which sends me straight to the ground. Am I missing something there?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

I thought about using the crow, but I couldn't figure out a way to get out of crow form except dodging, which sends me straight to the ground. Am I missing something there?

Crow is different to the Spear technique. The first is double-tapping dodge in the air which turns you into a slow and cumbersome bird, the latter is double-tapping the lockon button which basically teleports you to a locked on enemy, and if you target enemies properly you won't hit the ground.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yeah I know the difference, but you said the crow itself was useful in some way. I don't know how you'd use the crow in combat at all other than setting up the feathers before a fight starts.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

If you have the magic you can summon a circle of feathers around you, then Umbran Spear out if it to another enemy. Basically it's more damage output that'll stun enemies and prevent them from hitting you. You used to be able to dodge offset in crow form but I think they got rid of that as well.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Trying to go back to one after beating two just isn't working for me at all. The timing feels weird, there's so many cheap quick time deaths, and I can't get used to the combat at all. I haven't played the first game in two years, but I was never this bad back in the day.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm going through the game on Third Climax now, and I don't know how I keep missing verses. I feel like I check every nook and cranny, but I still miss a couple each stage.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm going through the game on Third Climax now, and I don't know how I keep missing verses. I feel like I check every nook and cranny, but I still miss a couple each stage.

The muspelheims count as verses as well. but yeah there's some tricky ones sprinkled around. But it's not as bad as other platinum games.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FauxGateau posted:

The muspelheims count as verses as well. but yeah there's some tricky ones sprinkled around. But it's not as bad as other platinum games.

Completing The Wonderful 101 involved finding all of the bullshit backtracking missions once on every difficulty.

But yeah, bullshit backtracking missions are one of those bizarre things that Platinum just keep doing and steadfastly refuse to learn better than. I was astounded to learn that Bayo 2 actually had a list of Muspelheims along with what verse number they were (but unsurprised to learn that there was no such listing for hidden verses).

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There's a hidden verse on Chapter 10 that makes you go all the way back to the Phantom fight after getting to near the end, it's dumb when they do stuff like that. Also, for the challenges where you can't touch the ground, if there's more than one platform you have plenty of time to kill all the enemies before the platforms run out. If it's the last one with the big rear end in a top hat, you can jump off his head an unlimited number of times, which is tricky but not impossible.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fedule posted:

Completing The Wonderful 101 involved finding all of the bullshit backtracking missions once on every difficulty.

But yeah, bullshit backtracking missions are one of those bizarre things that Platinum just keep doing and steadfastly refuse to learn better than. I was astounded to learn that Bayo 2 actually had a list of Muspelheims along with what verse number they were (but unsurprised to learn that there was no such listing for hidden verses).

That's pretty much one of the main reasons I haven't gone back to W101. That being said Beyonetta 2 at least tones them down, which I appreciate.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't feel the need to go looking for the hidden verses because Witch Trials scratches the pure combat itch nicely. Getting all plats is for the ocd weirdos who put value on achievements.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

notZaar posted:

I don't feel the need to go looking for the hidden verses because Witch Trials scratches the pure combat itch nicely. Getting all plats is for the ocd weirdos who put value on achievements.

Well you don't get achievements for all platinums, I'm doing it cause I want to.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got all plats because I wanted to unlock an accessory, you loser.

Also because I want to look at my result score and see all Bayonettas and Jeannes.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Anyone down for some tag Climax? I'm still missing a couple verse cards and I'd like to rectify that. NNID is DukeSilver789

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Hidden fights and backtracking was a thing in DMC and Bayonetta was basically "The New DMC" so that's why it's there.

It's kind of cool actually and also rad because it basically rewards exploration with an rear end-kicking. It also lets them put harder encounters in the game for you, but only if you want to face them, so newbies and casuals don't have to fight two Pain Tank guys at once.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
None of the hidden fights are hard except for maybe the one where you fight the two Pains and their enhancer. Even that one is not that bad.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

None of the hidden fights are hard except for maybe the one where you fight the two Pains and their enhancer. Even that one is not that bad.

Enhanced Sloth is a nightmare

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

notZaar posted:

Getting all plats is for people who want more out of the game. Hidden verses have a lot of very unique fights as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Enhanced Sloth is a nightmare

Fighting Sloth one-on-one is not hard, just loving tedious. There's no reason you should be fighting him Enhanced, because even enhanced you have enough time to kill the things powering him up since he's so loving slow.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hidden fights and backtracking was a thing in DMC and Bayonetta was basically "The New DMC" so that's why it's there.

It's kind of cool actually and also rad because it basically rewards exploration with an rear end-kicking. It also lets them put harder encounters in the game for you, but only if you want to face them, so newbies and casuals don't have to fight two Pain Tank guys at once.

It's not so much exploration when half of it is bullshit backtracking that is all trial and error like IIRC the final level of Bayonetta when you're running up the rocket as Jeanne and you have to run basically to where it triggers the end of the segment, then go all the way back down to the beginning for the final Alpheim :wtc:

That's just...contemptuous for the player at that point. I just came off of The Wonderful 101 going into Bayonetta 2 and it took me like 2 hours to get to the first boss cause I kept running back constantly to see if new Verses spawned and had to force myself to stop and enjoy the game because god drat Kamiya trained me to be OCD about this stuff :negative:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

beep by grandpa posted:

It's not so much exploration when half of it is bullshit backtracking that is all trial and error like IIRC the final level of Bayonetta when you're running up the rocket as Jeanne and you have to run basically to where it triggers the end of the segment, then go all the way back down to the beginning for the final Alpheim :wtc:

That's just...contemptuous for the player at that point. I just came off of The Wonderful 101 going into Bayonetta 2 and it took me like 2 hours to get to the first boss cause I kept running back constantly to see if new Verses spawned and had to force myself to stop and enjoy the game because god drat Kamiya trained me to be OCD about this stuff :negative:

The really bizarre thing about Platinum's steadfast refusal to learn is that they have already demonstrated that they are able to do this stuff correctly - in Revengeance, most of the hidden fights are flagged up for you in a call from Boris. Most of the leftover ones were not very out of your way and fall within the nebulous but definitely-existing zone of "stuff a good player will instinctively investigate".

Of course, they still gently caress up spectacularly in other ways, such as having everyone go on about stealth but making it so that stealthing guys will not count for ranks, causing a partially stelathed fight to ruin your rank and a fully stealthed one to skip it entirely. Why, Platinum. Why.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Honestly I kind of dig that they don't give a gently caress, haha- I respect that! It's not the end of the world tho, doesn't take long to just pull up a guide on gamefaqs and look it up. I just had to train myself to not bother going out of my way on my first runs through. To just look at those empty verse holes in my level clear screen going "don't worry, I'll be back".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

beep by grandpa posted:

Honestly I kind of dig that they don't give a gently caress, haha- I respect that! It's not the end of the world tho, doesn't take long to just pull up a guide on gamefaqs and look it up. I just had to train myself to not bother going out of my way on my first runs through. To just look at those empty verse holes in my level clear screen going "don't worry, I'll be back".

Oh, totally. It's impossible to not love Platinum; I'm just kind of at a loss to understand how a company so consistently able to produce top-tier, world-beating gameplay and technically excellent presentation has so much trouble with such basic stuff.

And each game seems to get the same things wrong in massively different ways, too. See: retrying. In Revengeance, retrying doesn't dock your rank but for some reason doesn't reset the "No Damage" flag even though you're restarting the fight from the beginning. In Bayonetta/2, choosing to retry restarts the fight and docks your rank but choosing not to wipes your progress; the "correct" choice is to pick "yes" and then quit to title and Continue (because that's how you Restart Checkpoint (there is no Restart Checkpoint button (what the christ, Platinum))). In W101, retrying is basically a full-heal and a rank-down (which actually makes total sense and is a Good Idea) and choosing not to kicks you to title screen from where you can continue from the last checkpoint... unless you're playing a boss, in which case you're starting from the beginning, and boss fights in W101 have tons of lead-in.

For the life of me I do not understand why they have not implemented a system that sensibly combines all approaches. How it should work is, you die, and you get these options:

Continue - get right back up at full health, but get a rank-down
Retry - restart encounter from the beginning, no penalty
Quit - go back to chapter select (or title, whatever)

I stick to my long-standing hypothesis that Platinum does not actually play-test their games in their entirety under any use-case other than "just get me to the end credits". I mean, obviously they test and polish the combat extensively, but they never seem to consider stuff like "okay, I'm going to set out to Platinum/Pure-Platinum this chapter, how much will I hate myself?", ever (See any boss in W101, but especially 009-C). This is a god drat shame, because it is such a tiny thing but it would massively improve what is, to be honest, already a pretty drat incredible set of games.

Why do I complain the most about the things I love the best.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Their philosophy seems to be that getting a perfect run means doing the entire level perfectly in one go. I can respect that, even though it makes the checkpoint system kind of funky.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Fedule posted:

For the life of me I do not understand why they have not implemented a system that sensibly combines all approaches. How it should work is, you die, and you get these options:

Continue - get right back up at full health, but get a rank-down
Retry - restart encounter from the beginning, no penalty
Quit - go back to chapter select (or title, whatever)

Retry without penalty would just make game too easy to Platinum. Good Grades are a reward for handling the whole chapters without huge failures, not for retrying every verse until you luck out the encounter perfectly.

Your Continue idea is basically same as the one-use item in Rodin's store.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

adhuin posted:

Retry without penalty would just make game too easy to Platinum. Good Grades are a reward for handling the whole chapters without huge failures, not for retrying every verse until you luck out the encounter perfectly.

Your Continue idea is basically same as the one-use item in Rodin's store.

Metal Gear Rising let you do that though, sorta, if you restarted from a checkpoint before the game saves after any encounter, so it's not like Platinum hasn't given you the option to do that in their titles.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
MGS was indirectly heavily criticized for this though, remember all the early reviews decrying how short the play time is and such because the ranking only tracked your success if you were doing that.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If you game the system and then complain later thats on you. Don't cry to me if the konami code makes beating contra too easy because i'll just call you a stupid baby bitch.

Theres also nothing wrong with playing to be the best or to improve either. If pure platinum with no retries is your thing go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They should just add a restart from checkpoint feature in the start menu, but I can still do that if I just go back to the main menu and continue. Save me the trouble and do what you did with Revengeance, Platinum.

• Locked thread