Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just unlocked a "Missing Poster" trinket. I wonder if it might be connected to the hidden character somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

sweetroy posted:

I keep on starting up a game, not getting good upgrades and quitting out :(. All I want is crazy combos!

This is valid. It's how I played the last game and I'll probably reach that point with this one soon enough.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I just unlocked a "Missing Poster" trinket. I wonder if it might be connected to the hidden character somehow.

If you're interested there's a shitload of speculation/research on this in a post on the Isaac subreddit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Read posted:

Well, the super top secret character, "The Lost" is unlocked by doing something related to that. We're not sure what.
Hopefully it's doing it with every character :twisted:

Honestly it's a little hosed how it seemed that they'd learned their lesson with regards the polaroid originally being a rare drop, but still required for getting to the chest until they changed it to always spawn... and now they've basically gone back the other on the bullshit with how to fight mega-satan
where first you need to have beaten the chest, and then you need to
a). play through the game never taking devil deals so that you can still get into angel rooms
b). get lucky enough to get the angel rooms
c). get lucky enough to get one angel boss, and then the other, in the same run in those very limited angel rooms
d). finally make it to the chest

It's just so ridiculously situational and luck-based. It's exactly the same problem all over again.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't think point C is luck based. You just need bombs.
Also you have massively increased chances to get rooms by not getting hit during boss fights. Not getting hit during floors helps too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

IronicDongz posted:

Hopefully it's doing it with every character :twisted:

Honestly it's a little hosed how it seemed that they'd learned their lesson with regards the polaroid originally being a rare drop, but still required for getting to the chest until they changed it to always spawn... and now they've basically gone back the other on the bullshit with how to fight mega-satan
where first you need to have beaten the chest, and then you need to
a). play through the game never taking devil deals so that you can still get into angel rooms
b). get lucky enough to get the angel rooms
c). get lucky enough to get one angel boss, and then the other, in the same run in those very limited angel rooms
d). finally make it to the chest

It's just so ridiculously situational and luck-based. It's exactly the same problem all over again.

Oooor you could just use Dads key.

Still luck based, just a bit less so.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goferchan posted:

like invalidate it so your victory won't count? or you mean you keep the blindfold on after reshuffling your item pickups and now have no way to kill stuff?

The latter.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Anybody ever gotten the Black Candle with Cursed Eye? The text on Black Candle makes me think it might make the eye kinda cool... I really do like the burst fire of it.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I have a seed here if anyone's interested in checking out that cool Technology 2/Homing Tears synergy

T8A0
W7JB

I don't know if it's an O or a 0.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Man, Eden is a crazy character, first role I started with only two soul hearts, basically no stats, and Guppy's pawn and some weird backpack that made me drop coins when hit. Made it to the second basement boss just to die.
The second time around though, decent stats, but also spoon bender and a frickin' pony. As if the pony wasn't already a ticket to beating the game, I soon picked up tiny planet and brimstone. :getin:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Oooor you could just use Dads key.

Still luck based, just a bit less so.

Which you unlock by getting the other item.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Best part of the patch (besides them fixing problems letting more people play, that's always good): they lowered the volume for Brimstone.

Finally you can play Azazle without going deaf.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Er, how exactly do you get the Polaroid? I've got like 15 Mom's Heart kills but it hasn't unlocked yet so Mom only drops the Negative for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

sweetroy posted:

I keep on starting up a game, not getting good upgrades and quitting out :(. All I want is crazy combos!

I feel like playing this way really makes you miss out on the fun of some of the more obscure and not directly broken stuff. I don't think I've had a run get up too Mom's heart that didn't have something silly and fun going for it. Like my last Eden run sure didn't start out strong but eventually I found a fun way to play through using the detonator, a poo poo load of bombs, and the stumped unicorn horn. had me kill Mom's Heart through mass bomb detonation set up over multiple one heart lives via guppy. It was really funny but I didn't get most of that stuff until I reached depths.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So Holy Mantle is the just the best. I got Cave Boy, Spelunker Boy, and Mom's Boy all in the same run (Already had Dark Boy, but would have gotten it as well).

Brimstone and flight helped but Goddamn, talk about checking off all the most tedious achievements with one lucky item.

Edit: Also I just want to express my hatred for the Caves music. I'm not hard up about the new sound effects and I like most of the new music but the sound effect in the left channel on The Caves that sounds like dog's barking is irritating as gently caress. It sounds exactly as annoying as when a neighbours' dog won't shut the gently caress up.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 8, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Poizen Jam posted:

So Holy Mantle is the just the best. I got Cave Boy, Spelunker Boy, and Mom's Boy all in the same run (Already had Dark Boy, but would have gotten it as well).

Brimstone and flight helped but Goddamn, talk about checking off all the most tedious achievements with one lucky item.

Edit: Also I just want to express my hatred for the Caves music. I'm not hard up about the new sound effects and I like most of the new music but the sound effect in the left channel on The Caves that sounds like dog's barking is irritating as gently caress. It sounds exactly as annoying as when a neighbours' dog won't shut the gently caress up.

What does it do? I have those three achievements, but I think the one for not taking a hit in the womb is gonna be hard for me at this point.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It creates a shield around you that negates your first point of damage in each room.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

What does it do? I have those three achievements, but I think the one for not taking a hit in the womb is gonna be hard for me at this point.

Holy Mantle absorbs one hit per room. It's basically "you win".

We all know Brimstone + Ludovico is hilarious, but those plus Mom's Contact destroys everything. I made a mockery of the boss rush. Carrion Queen died before she shat out a single red turd.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Aw man, what is this 15c item in the shop?

I really want it but there's no coins on this floor and it's not on platinumgod.co.uk :ohdear:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Champion Belt

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Poizen Jam posted:

It creates a shield around you that negates your first point of damage in each room.

IMJack posted:

Holy Mantle absorbs one hit per room. It's basically "you win".

We all know Brimstone + Ludovico is hilarious, but those plus Mom's Contact destroys everything. I made a mockery of the boss rush. Carrion Queen died before she shat out a single red turd.

That's amazing, wow.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, it turns out if you find a reroll room while playing the Slow Roll and you get the cursed eye, the spoon bender, and technology, you can hold down any directional fire key and everything in every room dies before you get to the next door/trap door. This includes bosses. Slow Roll, everybody!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bug and glitches effortpost update

I updated my original post, where we keep a list of known issues and fixes.

Summary: After a patch was released, the game does boot for more people than before, but certainly not for everyone. Some other issues were fixed, too. Most people who couldn't start the game now can start it but suffer from the white-out problem:

While developer 'Simon' seems to be looking into it, Tyrone, the founder of Nicalis, has said that it might not be possible for him to make the game run properly on systems that could run the original fine. He said you better upgrade your system or you're hosed.

If that's true, the promises that it could run on any system that could run the original were lies, and hundreds to thousands of people with this issue spent their money on non-working crap.

Edit: Good news, a few people with a more modern system are reporting the same issue on Steam. This could indicate it's a programming problem, which is more easily fixed.

Edit: There is a fix! For now.

quote:

There is a working beta available, and I'll tell you here how to unlock it. As it is a beta, it's possible that the next full update will delete your save file, use at own risk!

In Steam, right click on the game, and choose properties. Go to the 'betas' tab and enter the access code "whitetextures" (without the quote marks). It'll unlock the beta. Enable it in the same screen, close that screen, and wait a minute while the game gets updated.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 8, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Er, how exactly do you get the Polaroid? I've got like 15 Mom's Heart kills but it hasn't unlocked yet so Mom only drops the Negative for me.

Kill Isaac a handful of times, 5 or something.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Ahaha wow apparently the maze curse works on tarot cards. I used the Stars and it sent me to a room two rooms before the treasure room.

Also gently caress Bob's Brain.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Read posted:

Well, the super top secret character, "The Lost" is unlocked by doing something related to that. We're not sure what.

When you figure it out, please share.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You need at least OpenGL 3 to not get the white screen issue, btw. That came out in like 2006 or something so I think most computers that still function in 2014 should have it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Read posted:

You need at least OpenGL 3 to not get the white screen issue, btw. That came out in like 2006 or something so I think most computers that still function in 2014 should have it?

My computer is a laptop with an integrated Intel graphics chipset from 2010 or so. It runs WotL fine. According to Nicalis' promise, it should run this game fine too. If they can't make that true, they are liars.

Edit: And check both the steam forums and people complaining in this thread. That's not counting those who keep silent and/or just mail the devs. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying hundreds of people are suffering from this issue. I keep saying this because there's assholes who keep claiming "only a handful" of people are having problems.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 8, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

My computer is a laptop with an integrated Intel graphics chipset from 2010 or so. It runs WotL fine. According to Nicalis' promise, it should run this game fine too. If they can't make that true, they are liars.

:eyepop:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Read posted:

You need at least OpenGL 3 to not get the white screen issue, btw. That came out in like 2006 or something so I think most computers that still function in 2014 should have it?

Don't you understand that their broad vague claims were bullshit lies and deliberate schemes to get people to waste their money? gently caress them and everything they stand for those lazy rear end in a top hat bastards!!!

Seriously that was probably the worst "glitches" write up I've ever seen: It's not a "resources" post if you're just loving whining about it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's also just the way PC gaming(and code between different kinds of computers in general) loving works. It sucks that it doesn't work for everyone, but, yeah, sometimes things literally just don't work on certain systems and there's not much you can do about it.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Edit: And check both the steam forums and people complaining in this thread. That's not counting those who keep silent and/or just mail the devs. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying hundreds of people are suffering from this issue. I keep saying this because there's assholes who keep claiming "only a handful" of people are having problems.
In the context of a game as popular as this, hundreds is indeed "only a handful".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, then I challenge you to make a better post. :colbert:

I'll add any relevant information I get. As I said in the large post, send me a PM if you know of any as-of-yet unreported solutions to problems.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'll add any relevant information I get. As I said in the large post, send me a PM if you know of any as-of-yet unreported solutions to problems.

How about : "Hey, looks like people are still having this issue! Seems the devs may have an issue with OpenGL 2 chipsets, but if you have problems make sure to bug them if you're having problems, since there aren't any fixes floating around."

Instead of calling them liars and ripoff artists because you don't understand coding!

Seriously dude, this game is four loving days old.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A tip for those struggling with the Head Trauma challenge: Shoot backwards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, I can actually run the game now...but I'm now getting the delightful "keyboard gets stuck on a single input forever" bug that persists even after the game is closed.

Moral of the story here is never buy anything from Nicalis ever again. Too bad I'm well past the window to just chargeback the preorder on my card.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's nothing wrong with posting information explaining & keeping people up to date on technical problems with the game, but the tone you're posting it with is kind of obnoxious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Read posted:

There's nothing wrong with posting information explaining & keeping people up to date on technical problems with the game, but the tone you're posting it with is kind of obnoxious.

The tone is perfectly understandable...Ed/Nicalis sold a half-baked, buggy, untested game, and did so with promises that are turning out to be inaccurate.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dewgy posted:

How about : "Hey, looks like people are still having this issue! Seems the devs may have an issue with OpenGL 2 chipsets, but if you have problems make sure to bug them if you're having problems, since there aren't any fixes floating around."

Instead of calling them liars and ripoff artists because you don't understand coding!

Seriously dude, this game is four loving days old.

The whole problem is that Tyrone is now saying they might not be able to fix it.

As I said, the other devs appear to be way more helpful, they are still working on it. I do feel kinda bad for them. They got a lot of poo poo thrown over them for the last few days, they've probably been working real hard to get the first patch out, and are working to fix this now. On top of that their company's founder isn't supportive of users at all and seems to imply he wants to give up.

I'm sure that without Simon and Adrian and whoever else they might have, things would've been a lot worse, and I'm thankful they are doing their best.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Carbon dioxide posted:

The whole problem is that Tyrone is now saying they might not be able to fix it.
That's probably because they might genuinely not be able to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly I think that as "reward" characters go, Eden is kind of lovely. You only get to play once every mom's heart kill, and while I'm sure you can get completely OP starting builds all I've gotten is complete poo poo so far. Like I'm sure that his stats can go above 1, but that's not something I've ever seen. I've felt obligated to play him every time I get a token but so far I'd rather have been playing anyone else.

jivjov posted:

The tone is perfectly understandable...Ed/Nicalis sold a half-baked, buggy, untested game, and did so with promises that are turning out to be inaccurate.

I understand that you and a handful of other users have had severe problems with the game, however there's no need to exaggerate so much to make your point. Calling a game with specific bugs that only affect specific users "half-baked, buggy, untested" is a ridiculous bit of hyperbole that really highlights your lack of understanding on video games and how to make them. As far as releases go this has been a pretty smooth one. While I understand that you haven't been able to play it, it's also been less than a week and decrying it so severely when the devs are actively and quickly fixing the problems people are having is a ridiculous overreaction.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 8, 2014