Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dr.Smasher posted:

The worst part is that he paid for it.

The Very Hard DLC costs slightly more than I paid for the game including shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

What I don't understand is why there's DLC to make the game more annoying to play.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

What I don't understand is why there's DLC to make the game more annoying to play.

Clearly you aren't a true Sonic fan. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ramos posted:

Clearly you aren't a true Sonic fan. :colbert:

I am the BIGGEST Sonic fan, a SammyClassicSonic fan even. Ya frick. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Very Hard Mode is actually different than what you'd think. It is basically remixes of levels, so in this case we're going backwards through Wave Ocean with different platforms, whale patterns and enemies. It's a pretty cool idea, kind of like what Nintendo did with Super Luigi U, but terrible. There's probably a better analogy but since that's the other thing I'm LPing right now it's the one that comes to mind.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

More sidequests! We're so close to the end, so close to the end of the sidequests! We'll protect those barrels then it's time to help Shadow get his driver's license!

Part 43 (The Famous Einstein): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4DYTaAEld0

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

For a second I hoped that if you do too well on the rocket intercept mission the girl dances so hard her butt knocks over a barrel.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Luppyluppy! :downs:

this game is killing me

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Crosspeice posted:

Luppyluppy! :downs:

this game is killing me

And a good luppyluppy to you too, sir!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Googling luppy provides only an urban dictionary result as a word rather than a noun.

"To be fat and hungry, but to lazy to acquire food."

This definition predates Sonic 2006 by several years.

edit: almost forgot

You were absolutely told what to do at the beginning. Just like in all the other tests.

double edit: Re-reviewing the video. The math guy's box did go into the ocean. It respawned in its original place. Of all the things in the game to have a failsafe for, it's boxes.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 7, 2014

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

I made an art for this thread! Well, I guess art is stretching it a little bit.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Feels like it needs something

Hm.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cheez posted:

Googling luppy provides only an urban dictionary result as a word rather than a noun.

"To be fat and hungry, but to lazy to acquire food."

This definition predates Sonic 2006 by several years.

edit: almost forgot

You were absolutely told what to do at the beginning. Just like in all the other tests.

double edit: Re-reviewing the video. The math guy's box did go into the ocean. It respawned in its original place. Of all the things in the game to have a failsafe for, it's boxes.

Sometimes as I edit videos I think to myself "I hope no one notices that we missed that..." but it never happens. I'm proud of their box coding though!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It finally came up in the related videos without me having to look for it and taint my recommendations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Welp, I spoke too soon. While Wave Ocean and Dusty Desert have significant differences from the original level, White Acropolis and Crisis City are literally "The game, except more annoying to play."

Amazing.

Camel Pimp posted:

Feels like it needs something

Hm.

Wanted to give this one more tweak.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Truly, through collaboration true art can be made.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Welp, I spoke too soon. While Wave Ocean and Dusty Desert have significant differences from the original level, White Acropolis and Crisis City are literally "The game, except more annoying to play."

Flame Core on very hard is just meteors raining constantly, even indoors.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I said I'd show off all the gems so here it is, The White Gem. It's a pretty lame gem so there isn't much to say about it and there isn't much to show off, but I figured combat with a bunch of enemies might be best? I dunno. Most of the gems are fun or useful, so one bad one is frankly more than you can ask for from Sonic 06.

Bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIiGmsJxzro

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
i think the white gem is more designed for platforming to make sure you dont miss the next enemy to jump on if you gently caress up or gives you a bit more time to figure out how to save yourself if you miss a jump at least that's the only kind of use i could see for it.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
It's pretty much the behavior that AI Sonic has in the fight vs. Silver. He'll say "Here I come!" while he spins in midair for a couple seconds, then he homes in on wherever you are and attacks you with 100% accuracy. Then the developers decided the players would enjoy this mechanic? :shrug:
Maybe if it let you have much longer range on the homing attack, like "charging" it or something, it could see some use. But it doesn't do that so nope, not useful or fun. They can't all be winners.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Only just caught up with the thread now. I hope its not too late to make an OC for the contest because I'm midway through drawing one right now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davinci posted:

Only just caught up with the thread now. I hope its not too late to make an OC for the contest because I'm midway through drawing one right now.

We actually just recorded the Final Story tonight and picked the winner. There will be an agonizing wait until it is posted, we've gotta give you some reason to sit through the credits.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
You should post it anyways and if it's so good that MassRafTer would have picked it he should overdub the video in the most obvious way possible

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

It's true what they say about great artists and suffering.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Just finished it. Oh well, I half expected to be told I was too late anyways.

Hotshot the Hedgehog

This hedgehog isn't the fastest on his feet, but he is the fastest gun in the west! Or at least he was the fastest, until during the final showdown with Dr. PoachedEggs, (Dr. Eggman's great-great-great grandfather, and builder of many heinous steam-powered robots) he was hurled to the future to Sonic's time. Together him and Sonic would go on many adventures to discover not only a true-blue friendship, but also Sonic's forgotten lineage (Hotshot is actually Sonic's great-great-great-great-grandfather).

Hotshot's skills include: being able to shoot six cans from 40 yards away faster than you can say "boiled eggs", a razer-sharp wit, an extreme sense of justice (he won't hesitate to knock-the-socks-off of anyone who's rude to any fair dames).

Hotshot's favorite food is malt shakes from his local saloon and his favorite activity is polishing his gun.

After many adventures with his new best friend, Sonic, Hotshot discovered that the Chaos Emeralds were able to open time-rifts, (he's the one who taught Sonic, Shadow, and Silver how to do it in Sonic 06) and him and Sonic opened one last time-rift and had a heartfelt goodbye as Hotshot returned to his own time. It was the first time Hotshot had cried since he parents were killed by Dr. PoachedEggs.

Hotshot went on to found G.U.N., the Guardian Units of Nations, because of his profound love for Freedom and his profound hatred of Dr. PoachedEgg, Eggman and all others who would use technology against the people instead of for the people.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I just remembered something else terrible about this game that I don't think anyone's talked about yet: the PS3 PAL version is slightly more hosed than every other version of the game. Something went wrong in the A-cutscenes and they don't play correctly - instead, both the audio and the video stutter pretty badly.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a video of it on Youtube, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Let's finish up the sidequests! Shadow has to save the professor and get some light cores, whatever those are! Brilliant game design gets in the way again, but hey, we won't have to worry about that again, right? The Last Episode is next!

Part 44 (The Savior of Soleannan Culture): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMDUZlNqxzg

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I like how we're near the end of the game and you're explaining a combat mechanic that's been present through the entire game so far. Oh well, that's pretty much how Sonic 2006 has been.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Hulkamatt's dog has more sense than either of you. And all of us watching this.

:laugh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cheez posted:

I like how we're near the end of the game and you're explaining a combat mechanic that's been present through the entire game so far. Oh well, that's pretty much how Sonic 2006 has been.

I think I explained it in the Wave Ocean video. If I didn't Sonic explains it himself so I never really thought it was necessary. With Iblis monsters it isn't always the case that killing the big enemy will kill the rest so I figured I'd throw it in.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Hm, well, even if you did, the game itself is also explaining it again, and that mission seems fairly late game to me, to be throwing those kinds of guys around.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

Amazing.

You ain't nothin' but a hedgehog, dyin' all the time...

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I couldn't decide which one I liked better

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Does the guy in blue remind anyone else of Jesse from Breaking Bad?

Do we know how the professor REALLY makes his living?

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

The second one. Shadow is trying to resist the beat, but you can tell that he'd bust a move if he knew that no one was looking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Camel Pimp posted:

The first one might be my favorite gif of the thread.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

chiasaur11 posted:

Does the guy in blue remind anyone else of Jesse from Breaking Bad?

Do we know how the professor REALLY makes his living?

"YEAH, BITCH! HEDGEHOGS! OOOOH!!!"

Clearly the residents of Soreana are mentally impaired in some way, perhaps your assumption is correct... :tinfoil:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow while fighting the monsters on the road: "Their command systems are linked... If I take out the leader, then they'll all fall."

Iblis monsters have command systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
At this point I should be recording every second I play this game in case I miss something. Here's some more glitches including one I hadn't been able to record yet, wall walking!

Bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJsku_ERNE

• Locked thread