Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Mustafa posted:

This is loving disgraceful. This entire setup needs an overhaul. The rest of the league have surpassed us.

Brisbane are playing pretty well :confused:

They were obviously completely asleep in first 15 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Roar have been sussed. Ref is a pile of crap and needs to murder himself for standing in the channel to block that attack

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
roar playing pinball

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

had a :lol: at the den "gently caress Sydney" scarf.. desperate for a rival aren't they?

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol what happened there, carding the bench?

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
pro evo classic goal there mmmhmm

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

salary cap or not both of last seasons finalists not having a point after 7 games is mental

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
My scarf arrived last week. It's slightly longer than a normal scarf. It's just long enough to hang myself with which is useful in these circumstances

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A League has a salary cap?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Bogan Krkic posted:

How freakin bad does he have to continue to be to get dropped?
Well with Delpierre and Ansell out he's first choice technically. Telling they we looked much more robust when he went off and Milligan went back to pair Brox though.

Adnar posted:

had a :lol: at the den "gently caress Sydney" scarf.. desperate for a rival aren't they?
Haha are they kidding or what

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I have no idea how you go two goals down and think donarchy, lord of the defensive blunder, is the solution

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
Mulvey is a clown and needs to be sacked

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Mustafa posted:

Mulvey is a clown and needs to be sacked

5 games after winning a double? :lol:

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
He inherited a winning team, he didn't reinforce the team enough after we won the double. He persists with underperforming players in the ineffective Donachie, Lustica and Jamie Young. Actually I'd say the entire squad is underperforming right now. It's quite frankly not good enough, the motivation isn't there and neither is the urgency. As far as I'm concerned that's down to the guy in charge and Mulvey is culpable.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

bowmore posted:

A League has a salary cap?

Indeed. But they have marquee and guest player spots to enable some flexibility.

Makes the Wanderers efforts even more remarkable, as often they would play teams with at least ten times the wages bill, and more like twenty times in the final.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
The blow up at the end was a bit weak from Steffanuto, sure you don't want to concede through the legs of your keeper from range, and that touch nearly loving killed them off early but he wasn't exactly to blame for the other goals - blame the useless pricks in front of him.

Imagine playing both David Williams and Mate Duganzdic back into form though, gently caress

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Best half the Mariners have played all year and one nil down. Funny game football.

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
Is this Bizarro A-League? All the teams people were expecting to be good are sucking, the teams that have struggled for success recently are doing well, and the shittest team of them all, Perth Glory, is top of the table. What's going on?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Mustafa posted:

Is this Bizarro A-League? All the teams people were expecting to be good are sucking, the teams that have struggled for success recently are doing well, and the shittest team of them all, Perth Glory, is top of the table. What's going on?

The early rounds can throw some interesting things around, coupled this year with ACL and FFA cup commitments, the early months are more weird than normal, and thankfully will continue to do so.

e.g the Mariners have just started 5 games in 2 weeks, on the back of a prior 3 games in a week and a bye. They will struggle to December when it all calms down (Unless they make FFA cup final - highly unlikely) and they will be able to field a decent team on the park week in, week out instead of employing a fatigue management rotation.

They played some bloody good football today, but they just cant get it into the back of the net - however that will come. Mind you Hutch I think is past it, this will be his last season.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mustafa posted:

and the Jets still suck despite it all

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
There may be an argument to increase the squad size or take other measures to increase depth in the clubs, what with the increased burden of extra matches. I know A league clubs probably have it easier compared to a lot of other confederations in terms of how many matches they play, but given that we will all want to be going deep into ACL and FFA cup tiltsand such from now on - there may need to be more measures to ensure that squad rotation doesn't neuter teams unnecessarily.

I don't know much about the other NPLs, but here in Vic they've just announced that Victory and City will be fielding teams in both the NPL and NYL this year, possibly creating an east-west conference to help settle the shitload of teams in the top state leagues. I'm all for it, I know plenty of ex-NSL fans who are chomping at the bit for a go at the upstarts. Should be tits.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

How does it work with a team in the NPL for Victory and City? Will that function basically as a reserve squad or is it going to be a separate entity feeder club deal, idgi

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Going to this Saturdays game at Allianz to watch Melbourne get turned over by Sydney mmm

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what's the deal with expanding the league, is it still going to happen? I want south melbourne hellas to join

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Alex_R posted:

So what's the deal with expanding the league, is it still going to happen? I want south melbourne hellas to join

It will happen but there's no chance any existing NPL team joins the league, any expansion team will be a new start up.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bogan Krkic posted:

It will happen but there's no chance any existing NPL team joins the league, any expansion team will be a new start up.

Yeah I know, sucks because if any team deserves to be playing in the top flight it's them

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Alex_R posted:

Yeah I know, sucks because if any team deserves to be playing in the top flight it's them

Apologies in advance, Alex - I see this get bought up a bit (by South fans mostly), and it's good for discussion!

They get big crowds for the NPL (ranging from a few thousand in big games to around a thousand on the regular), but there's not necessarily the same large untapped and dissatisfied community that, say, Western Sydney had that is hanging out for top flight representation. A lot of people are nostaligic about the Hellas being in the A League but it isn't realistic - if they had the fans and support they claim would materialize you would expect to have seen it when they recently went 13 games undefeated in the NPL on their way to the title, and this didn't happen.

They've had the history, and probably did deserve to be the second team, but the ship has absolutely sailed on them being the third - Lakeside stadium has a loving running track and athletic equipment around it that they can't touch for forty years. The SMFC board has also been vocally critical of the A league (and the FFV about the NPL, and rightfully so in many cases), and the majority of their supporters are simaltaneously derisive of the competition as a whole and absolutely convinced that their presence is necessary. Trust me, people who insist on only following big teams and leagues can be frustrating to deal with at times, but nothing is as bad as the ones who can't accept that their favourite club isn't top of the pile any more.

I hope this doesn't read as being argumentative, and hopefully someone else can chime in with a bit of experience.

Regarding how the set up will work, I'm not entirely sure. It's likely that it will be the youth or development squads from each club playing the NPL season (roughly marchish to September), and then head into the NYL which I believe follows the summer format. Theoretically, they'd be playing all year round and would hopefully get senior experience - I think Brisbane roar and Perth glory youth already do this in NPL Queensland and NPL WA.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I've seen (and been involved in) lots of 'discussion' on twitter between NSL (mostly Melbourne Knights*) fans who bitterly hate the FFA and the A-League yet argue passionately that we can't be considered a real football community unless we have a promotion and relegation system - presumably so that their club can once again play on the biggest stage. It's a weird dichotomy and a mindset I completely don't understand, but I had no team in the NSL so I probably can't ever get it.

The fact of the matter is that these clubs simply don't have the facilities or fanbase to compete in the A-League and it's hard to see how that would change, unless Roman Abramovich or someone similar decides they really want to buy Marconi Stallions or Preston Lions and the population explodes massively. The other issue for these clubs is that they pretty much all have pre-existing ethnic ties, which is the kind of thing that actually restricts fanbase expansion.

* There's a further issue at play in regards to the Knights: they've taken the FFA to the Human Rights Comission over the FFA's ridiculous club identity policy that bans any ethnic connections in the club's identity. The Knights were forced to change jerseys they were going to wear in an FFA Cup game because they had sponsorship from a Croatian community club, and they were furious about it

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

hmm I disagree with fanbase, if you put a third team in Melbourne I think the only way it would be viable is a club like South (who are probably the only club in Sydney or Melbourne who could do it)

This is a good article that covers off the history and Hellas' ambitions: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/oct/23/the-forgotten-story-of-south-melbourne-at-middle-park

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Adnar posted:

hmm I disagree with fanbase, if you put a third team in Melbourne I think the only way it would be viable is a club like South (who are probably the only club in Sydney or Melbourne who could do it)

This is a good article that covers off the history and Hellas' ambitions: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/oct/23/the-forgotten-story-of-south-melbourne-at-middle-park

It's still not quite the same - bringing South Melbourne into the A league at this point will be difficult to say the least. The South Melbourne and Melbourne Knights of this world might have been able to join on equal footing from the beginning, but by now they've surely noticed that crowds have been decreasing for years now - suddenly being thrown back into the top flight isn't a panacea for membership or attendance troubles, just look at Auckland Knights/Football Kingz. The overall impression I get from a lot of the community pushing for a league entry is that they were unfairly overlooked on the development of a national top division - well they basically had it to themselves for decades, ran it into the ground through a variety of poo poo decisions from club to organization level and then pointed the finger at everyone else when team after team aside from a few bigger clubs ran themselves into the ground trying to be a national comp in a country that couldn't afford it yet. And I mean that literally, check out the histories of the Adelaide NSL teams, or the finances of South Melbourne after they bankrupted themselves to get flogged in the club world cup. Again, I'm not meaning to be argumentative about this, but I don't agree that teams that have big histories should be prioritized over other sides for potential expansion because of nostalgia or nepotism. I also don't agree that there is a huge untapped market of disgruntled ex-NSL now-NPL fans that is hanging out to attend matches. If there was, why aren't they supporting their team, especially now that basically every match is a comparatively short distance?

I would be more supportive of an NASL to MSL model, where lower division teams can enter the top divisions if they can demonstrate that they would be sustainable. Honestly, I don't want to knock the historical sides that built the game here - but the majority of fans of Australian football have long since voted with their feet. They're happy with the current teams, or they're awaiting the formation of a new one.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
That said, I'm definitely supportive of a third Melbourne side (or even Victorian side if it were somehow viable, like some kind of regional cities of Bendigo-Ballarat-Geelong if that were somehow possible). I just don't think we need to necessarily elevate clubs that despite all the bluster, probably couldn't survive.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tongues posted:

That said, I'm definitely supportive of a third Melbourne side (or even Victorian side if it were somehow viable, like some kind of regional cities of Bendigo-Ballarat-Geelong if that were somehow possible). I just don't think we need to necessarily elevate clubs that despite all the bluster, probably couldn't survive.

Melbourne has trouble supporting a second a league side. Unless they did a shifty and said gently caress the rules we'll make you win like they did with western sydney why would people even show up?

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Tongues posted:

It's still not quite the same - bringing South Melbourne into the A league at this point will be difficult to say the least.

Oh I agree, it's highly unlikely, but no less viable than a third new franchise IMO.

But in 10 years (assuming City and Tards are going at least as they are now) I don't see how there would be the desire for another team and for supporters of clubs like Souths that'll be 20 years since families from those clubs have seen them in a top league which will mean a whole generation lost to MV/MC.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Yeah I can't imagine another team in Melbourne would be anything but an unmitigated disaster, South Melbourne or not. There simply isn't the fanbase for it at present.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Then we've reached consensus, I'll phone up Gallop and let him know we're forming an expansion team staffed entirely from the thread.

Hope you guys like lovely barbecue because as team dietician you'll get what you're drat well given and that's all I can cook

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Tongues posted:

Then we've reached consensus, I'll phone up Gallop and let him know we're forming an expansion team staffed entirely from the thread.

Hope you guys like lovely barbecue because as team dietician you'll get what you're drat well given and that's all I can cook

If the onion is not charcoal I'm doing a Palmer and setting up my own BBQ.

I still think in twos for expansion, but after Brisbane II I'm struggling for a club who has adequate stadia at hand, fiscal backing to not fold in 5 seconds, and a want for football. I was thinking Melbourne, but now not so sure - it would be nice if there was a 20K rectangle stadia out in the Melbourne burbs where people don't have to travel too far for a match, but that just does not seem to exist.

Or do we get another "regional side", opening up Tassie or Canberra? Or something really left field like Albury? Wouldn't think so with the "gone fishing" comment.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Speaking of second league sides, Perth Glory are now beating Bentleigh Greens 1-0.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Nebojsa Marinkovic is pretty decent over the dead ball eh

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Marinkovic with 2. Vale Greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Adelaide United tonight-ah! In hindsight I should've gone to tonight's game rather than last Fridays as there's a guaranteed result, but oh well. That's what Foxtel Go and a bottle of red are for.

• Locked thread