Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radlum
May 13, 2013
The latest issue of Gotham Academy was pretty charming; I think it could work as well as a cartoon.

Still, the little hints and mentions to the main character's past and her mom kind of annoy me. I just wish they would make the reveal and move on. ANy guesses on who is her mom? I can only think of a few female Batman villains and I doubt anyone would have a kid of that age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Olive... O... O as in Ocean... My god, her mother is Orca the Whalewoman!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

radlum posted:

The latest issue of Gotham Academy was pretty charming; I think it could work as well as a cartoon.

Still, the little hints and mentions to the main character's past and her mom kind of annoy me. I just wish they would make the reveal and move on. ANy guesses on who is her mom? I can only think of a few female Batman villains and I doubt anyone would have a kid of that age

I think she's a new character. Probably staying in Arkham right now, considering Olive's own fears about being crazy.

Edit:The artist posted this little thank you on his tumblr, it's pretty :3:

:allears:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

HitTheTargets posted:

Olive... O... O as in Ocean... My god, her mother is Orca the Whalewoman!

Gotham Academy '66 would be a wonderful book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

lotus circle posted:

If you're not going to like it now, you should just drop it. The first quote-on-quote arc ends on issue 10 according to interviews, though it's less of an arc and more of a build-up of one and dones on top of each other. Multi-issue stories start after that though.

e: and as for not adding anything onto the larger arc -- the most recent issue heavily implied Helena is working as a double agent with her own ulterior motive. She definitely had to have found out the transmissions were from Batman, but used the girl's spy cameras as a way out of revealing that. It's just in time too, since December's annual is going to be all about her.

Yep and she was telling Dick to keep on doing what he is doing. I am enjoying it for the stupid fun that it is. I also found the FE issue to be pretty good. It maybe the future, but it had hints of where they are going with the book so it was not worthless.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr. Maltose posted:

Gotham Academy '66 would be a wonderful book.

They've already had both Aunt Harriet and Bookworm show up.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just finished reading Arkham Manor #1. I'm not up on the current events of Batman, I'm still reading Zero Year, so does anyone have a quick rundown of how Bruce lost the family fortune and why Gotham was able to take the house through eminent domain? Or is this series non-canonical?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I just finished reading Arkham Manor #1. I'm not up on the current events of Batman, I'm still reading Zero Year, so does anyone have a quick rundown of how Bruce lost the family fortune and why Gotham was able to take the house through eminent domain? Or is this series non-canonical?

I don't think they've actually got to explain that part yet. Best guess is that Hush has something to do with it, since he's apparently the one behind Batman Eternal.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I don't think they've actually got to explain that part yet. Best guess is that Hush has something to do with it, since he's apparently the one behind Batman Eternal.

So Arkham Manor takes place some time in the future ahead of all the other Batman titles?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's cannon. It has a box saying "takes place after Eternal #30" or something, and in the new post-Zero Year 'Batman' storyline, which skips forward in time post-Eternal, he isn't living in the manor.
Eternal hasn't gotten to the point of Bruce moving into an apartment yet. Hes still sorting out the blown up Arkham. I don't recall him losing any money or giving the appearance that the place is vacated. Maybe Hush is about to drain his funds.

e: Arkham Manor is only slightly ahead of the month's Eternal issues. By #2 it should be about in line (Except for the part where he might be full-time undercover in one book and not in the other.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 8, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's cannon. It has a box saying "takes place after Eternal #30" or something, and in the new post-Zero Year 'Batman' storyline, it skips forward in time and he isn't living in the manor.
Eternal hasn't gotten to the point of Bruce moving into an apartment yet. Hes still sorting out the blown up Arkham. I don't recall him losing any money or giving the appearance that the place is vacated. Maybe Hush is about to drain his funds.

The only things I've read from the New 52 in the Bat Family are Batman and Batgirl through volume four of each of their trades. I'm up to date on Batman '66, Harley Quinn, Grayson and Gotham Academy, but those really don't count. So yeah, that's why I seem so clueless. And I must have missed that little box.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

In Batman Eternal (which Arkham Manor spins out of) Commissioner Gordon is in jail, framed for murder by Hush. The police chief (and mayor I think) are both corrupt people working for Hush. Hush hired some people to like, sabotage or blow up some of Waynecorp's building projects with the assistance of the corrupt police chief and other corrupt cops. Corrupt people took over Arkham Asylum and killed all of the 'real' staff (or turned them into like sewer demons) for Hush, and there was a thing where I guess a series of magical bad guys revealed themselves to be the secret masterminds to try to open a portal to hell or something in Gotham. They were stopped but it blew up Arkham Asylum in Batman Eternal #30 and caused the whole building to like explode, fly up in the air, and then fall down into a sinkhole hundreds and hundreds of feet deep. Everyone's pretty much okay now though. Alfred broke his arm. Alfred was locked up in Arkham. Because of Hush.

Everything is real bad and it's all because of Hush, at least until issue #40 or whenever when they reveal the mastermind behind the mastermind behind the mastermind: Talia seducing a Bat-Mite mind-controlled by Hugo Strange's ghost: IN THE ANTI-MONITOR'S CORPSE.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Edge & Christian posted:

In Batman Eternal (which Arkham Manor spins out of) Commissioner Gordon is in jail, framed for murder by Hush. The police chief (and mayor I think) are both corrupt people working for Hush. Hush hired some people to like, sabotage or blow up some of Waynecorp's building projects with the assistance of the corrupt police chief and other corrupt cops. Corrupt people took over Arkham Asylum and killed all of the 'real' staff (or turned them into like sewer demons) for Hush, and there was a thing where I guess a series of magical bad guys revealed themselves to be the secret masterminds to try to open a portal to hell or something in Gotham. They were stopped but it blew up Arkham Asylum in Batman Eternal #30 and caused the whole building to like explode, fly up in the air, and then fall down into a sinkhole hundreds and hundreds of feet deep. Everyone's pretty much okay now though. Alfred broke his arm. Alfred was locked up in Arkham. Because of Hush.

Everything is real bad and it's all because of Hush, at least until issue #40 or whenever when they reveal the mastermind behind the mastermind behind the mastermind: Talia seducing a Bat-Mite mind-controlled by Hugo Strange's ghost: IN THE ANTI-MONITOR'S CORPSE.

And this is why I'm very particular about which Bat books I read. I'm sorry, but that sounds way too loving ridiculous for me to every attempt to read. That being said, thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I loving hate Hush so much.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Travis343 posted:

I loving hate Hush so much.
Shhhhhhhh. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I cannot claim to be a great Hush scholar, but how long has he been doing that? Like, literally hushing people before he kills them? I only remember it popping up in Batman Eternal, and it's pretty hilarious.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And this is why I'm very particular about which Bat books I read. I'm sorry, but that sounds way too loving ridiculous for me to every attempt to read. That being said, thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it.

We should mention Alfred's daughter Julia turns up and becomes their new Oracle type girl at the bat-puter, because she's there in the new Batman story when you get to it.

Also, in case you bump into it, Harper is growing into a hero persona, Bluebird and Selina Kyle found out she's the daughter of an infamous mob boss and becomes a boss herself to stabilize the criminal community which was having a war up till then (This is the theme of "Catwoman"s new run which seems pretty good after one issue.)

I think Eternal is pretty entertaining, on the whole. It has a rotating group of writers and artists, so there are patches I enjoy a lot more than others. Not a fan of Ray Fawkes' Arkham horror stuff, but the issue with Batgirl chasing someone through a Mexican TV studio (#11) is gonna be one of my issues of the year.

As far as ridiculous, you should see what Batman and Robin's been up to. I love that comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 8, 2014

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly Hush has only ever been good when written by Paul Dini. Heart of Hush and Streets of Gotham are where he's at his best, especially in the House of Hush storyarc that concludes Streets of Gotham.

That said people were speculating for a long while that Hush was going to make his comeback into New 52 with Eternal, so I'm glad Snyder just got it out of the way once we hit the half-way point in terms of issue count. It would have been obnoxious to leave it out to the end.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think Eternal is pretty entertaining, on the whole. It has a rotating group of writers and artists, so there are patches I enjoy a lot more than others. Not a fan of Ray Fawkes' Arkham horror stuff, but the issue with Batgirl chasing someone through a Mexican TV studio (#11) is gonna be one of my issues of the year.

It was a Brazilian studio.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

Ad then it'll turn out it all to be really the work of GRANNY GOODNESS!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

lotus circle posted:

Honestly Hush has only ever been good when written by Paul Dini. Heart of Hush and Streets of Gotham are where he's at his best, especially in the House of Hush storyarc that concludes Streets of Gotham.

That said people were speculating for a long while that Hush was going to make his comeback into New 52 with Eternal, so I'm glad Snyder just got it out of the way once we hit the half-way point in terms of issue count. It would have been obnoxious to leave it out to the end.

I want to like that arc, but Hush is still Hush in it. He's an evil version of Bruce Wayne, not Batman. That's a good hook, but I sure hope it gets buried in some dumb garbage to make it needlessly complex.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

People say Return of Hush was good but all I remember was it ruining Prometheus.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hup posted:

People say Return of Hush was good but all I remember was it ruining Prometheus.
I've never heard that. The Amazon reviews are pretty drat dire, too.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Return of Hush was a pretty great example of mid-2000s DC at its finest. Since all of the big 'comics media' organs of the time haven't bothered to properly archive their interviews and features this is all going on memory, but the basic timeline was kind of:

"Hey, want to do a follow-up on Hush?"
"Heyyyyyy, you know, actually uh, you can use Hush since you've already started THE RETURN OF HUSH but could you not really follow through with your developments, we're kind of saving the character for Jeph Loeb. Also we notice you're hinting that Tommy Elliott isn't REALLY Hush, which we totally approve of."
"Hey! We noticed you're planning to use Onomatopoeia, but Kevin Smith has dibs on him, please use someone else for the henchman."
"Whoops! When we said someone else, we didn't mean [guy I forget], someone else has dibs on him too."
"Here, look at this list of characters no one is using or has dibs on, just use whomever, but quick, we need to get this book finished!"
"Okay, cool, whatever. No one cares about Prometheus. Don't bother doing too much research on him, just get the book out!"
"Hey, AJ! How's that Return of Hush story going? Yeah, turns out we need you do a tie-in with Villains United and we need to take a few characters from you for that. It's cool, right? Sure, we'll definitely end the trade collection of your story with this Villains United interlude. The rest of your story? Heh, well we'll see if that gets collected."
"Anyway, we really like the story you're doing but turns out you need to reverse everything and make sure it's clear Tommy Elliott really is the one true Hush. Also we gave you the go-ahead to use Joker even though this is going to conflict with what Judd Winick is doing in Batman and people are going to get upset about that, but it's not like we told you about what Winick was doing, can't have spoilers on the net!"
"PS your book is ending in two months hope you weren't planning on REALLY wrapping things up. ONE YEAR GREATER! Don't call us, we'll call you."

I remember liking (and some people loving) the first half or so of AJ Lieberman's story, but once it became deeply enmeshed in mind control and hallucinations and Clayfaces and mind controlled Clayfaces it largely fell apart, though I'm not really prepared to blame Lieberman for all of it. Especially not the Prometheus thing.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's the cover to #36

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Here's the cover to #36

Those guys on Botched really do some incredible work.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dacap posted:

Here's the cover to #36

Superman has the same haircut. Who loves this haircut over there?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

catlord posted:

Superman has the same haircut. Who loves this haircut over there?

Mostly Superman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bruce also had that haircut during Zero Year, probably is Capullo and not Snyder though.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

DC editorial LOVES Macklemore

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

probably is Capullo and not Snyder though.

Snyder keeps his sides buzzed.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Dacap posted:

Here's the cover to #36

That outfit looks like something Alfred would wear. I wonder if Snyder is killing him off for real this time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

goldenoreos posted:

That outfit looks like something Alfred would wear. I wonder if Snyder is killing him off for real this time.

Would not be shocking as they already set up his replacement. She just needs a reason to stay.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
That IS Clark.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

She just needs a reason to stay.

Someone not named Barbara's gotta be Oracle.

Bedtime Stories
Jul 28, 2013
Question: If I really didn't care for last month's Batman, is this week's any better?

I've been toying around with the idea of dropping the book since about halfway through Zero Year and I think this might be it for me.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Was Taters posted:

That IS Clark.
It's not Clark. Today's Batman confirms who it is.

It's just Joker who was pretending to be one of the new Arkham doctors in Batman Annual #2

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dacap posted:

Here's the cover to #36

Welp, Joker's eyes seem to have gone white. Confirmed demon status then? Or they've finally rolled all the way back from him laughing too hard.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bedtime Stories posted:

Question: If I really didn't care for last month's Batman, is this week's any better?

I've been toying around with the idea of dropping the book since about halfway through Zero Year and I think this might be it for me.

Try it. Only half of it is the big ridiculous robot suit fight. If you liked DOTF, the other half is a conversation with the Joker.

e: Here are the spots they've been seeding the certain Arkham orderly.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/12/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-batmans-eric-border-before-you-read-batman-36/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 12, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Endgame is a good story, but I can't really enjoy the angle of the Joker being that big of a threat or his new relationship with Bruce. Somehow it feel like is wrong.

Eternal was good on its first half and then went to poo poo with the reveal on the second half. It would be nice to read a story where the heroes win without someone pulling another plan out of their asses.

Batgirl is a thing that exists I guess. Is really weird how Barbara is written closer to pre N52 Steph than any other Barbara iteration I've seen, good art though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Like I've said before the most solid and consistent Bat Book since the farting out of Nu 52 has been Batman and Robin/???????. The art has always been just amazing you get some new-ish over the top villains for them to take down, or redrawn Joker that is miles better than Capulo's take, and fleshed out Damian to a degree where when he finally died it felt like it meant something. Oh and bitchin Bat Armors and Apokolips adventures. And some really good grieving issues after Damian died.

• Locked thread