Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dublish
Oct 31, 2011

BurningStone posted:

I shouldn't post things when I can't remember the source, but there was a British military historian who did a comparative study of Lee and Grant. Going in, he expected to find that Lee was the better general but ended up changing his mind. He pointed in particular to how they issued orders. Grant, he felt, gave very clear and easy to understand directions while Lee's were far more vague. That was fine when the subordinate receiving them was Jackson or Longstreet, who didn't need a lot of help, but not so good with lesser officers.

Is that JFC Fuller?

quote:

I think we tend to underestimate how hard it was to command an army back then. With the communications available and the rough terrain they were usually operating across, it was challenging just to keep your units coordinated. All those Union generals didn't intentionally give Lee an exposed flank to smash into.

Grant also made the most modern use of staff officers of any of the major Civil War generals (further reading here). It wasn't just in strategic and operational thinking that Lee comes across as fighting the last war.

quote:

For the Overland Campaign, both Lee and Grant were good enough they weren't going to get badly outmaneuvered by the other. And both were aggressive enough they were willing to keep their armies right next to each other, bashing away, for months.

It's also important to realize that neither army was really capable of outmaneuvering the other, barring something crazy like building an ungodly long pontoon bridge over the James River. Neither army has really recovered from 1863, neither army has any outstanding corps commanders left (after Longstreet gets shot anyway), and the Army of the Potomac in particular now has an awkward high command structure on top of training itself for the better part of 3 years to act defensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Quick question in battles when beloved or charismatic leaders die how often is it that troops rout or flee, and conversely when said leaders do something amazing and tons of other troops follow "into the breach" in comparison to fiction books how true is it? Examples in history would be nice too.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yeah you're probably thinking of JFC Fuller's book The Generalship of Ulysses Grant. Or maybe one his smaller writings, I think it might be called On Generalship or something like that? I can't find them right now but I have two short booklets by him, one is about generalship in general and the other compares Grant and Lee. I think it's his book on Grant though where he mentions going in thinking Lee was the superior general and quickly changing his mind. Pretty crazy that Lost Causers mythology can influence someone outside the US.

Fuller was actually a general himself in the British army and a veteran of the Second Boer War and the First World War. He was also a bit of an eccentric with his interest in magic and the occult.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mustang posted:

Fuller was actually a general himself in the British army and a veteran of the Second Boer War and the First World War. He was also a bit of an eccentric with his interest in magic and the occult.

He was also an early pioneer in tank warfare, and vaguely a nazi. He's kinda a big deal.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think I would consider the Overland campaign of 1864 a fine example of generalship by Lee or a poor one by Grant. Lee, for example, squandered valuable men in assaults in the Wilderness, while Grant was often the victim of bad luck.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trin Tragula posted:

The Department of The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same would like to point out that there are some Gurkhas at Armentieres right now who don't have any sandbags, so are building their parapet out of dead Germans instead.

Were they dead Germans that were just laying around or did they go out and kill more Germans specifically to build entrenchments with? Normally I'd assume the former but, y'know, Gurkhas.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

I spoke poorly and should clarify. The flags thing is central for the identity of the company. The cannon/pontoon bridges thing is more important for determining who won after the battle. In case the outcome was unclear, people will bring up whether you took flags/cannon/pontoons, and how many, to help them figure out who won. All three of them are symbolic, but they're symbolic in different ways.

So a refinement on the Greek system where whoever has to ask the other guy for their bodies back is the winner. I think my favorite story related to that is the daring and heroic raid in which an Athenian general struck a great blow to the Spartans, inflicted numerous casualties, had a heart pounding desperate scramble back to the boats as enemy reinforcements rolled in. Real Where Eagles Dare, Zero Dark Thirty stuff. But they pull out to sea, with Spartan ships on the horizon and do a head count. They're missing two dudes on the beach. So they call a time out turn around, get their corpses, and go. And they consider it a real shame because despite the success of the mission, they don't get to build the trophy and so it doesn't count. Doesn't matter that the general completed all his objectives and traded 2 men for 25 despite being extremely outnumbered, he wasn't there to collect those 2 dudes and the bad guys recovered all their dead so he lost. What really gets me is the whole desperate escape thing. Like, you have to prove that you could have gotten away, made an organized retreat, had a rearguard action, what ever, and then you call it quits, turn around, and just, you know, not get slaughtered.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the JJ posted:

So a refinement on the Greek system where whoever has to ask the other guy for their bodies back is the winner.
Well, that implies a linear connection which, despite these peoples' hardon for classical antiquity, probably doesn't exist.

If we think about how much of this was symbolic/ceremonial/cultural for the Greeks or for the guys I study, maybe we start to think about how much of it is symbolic/ceremonial/cultural for us, although we take it for granted as functional and natural.

Edit: Meanwhile:

we're in your town now lol
(Cornelis de Wael)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 8, 2014

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So a random question provoked by nothing: Are there any countries with debts still outstanding from Lend Lease in WW2?

Like, did the Soviets ever manage to pay up the debts (nominally) racked up by Lend Lease?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Spacewolf posted:

Like, did the Soviets ever manage to pay up the debts (nominally) racked up by Lend Lease?

They never had to pay a dime. It was agreed that Soviets had paid it in blood.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Spacewolf posted:

So a random question provoked by nothing: Are there any countries with debts still outstanding from Lend Lease in WW2?

Let's put it this way:

It made the news recently when the Brits issued bonds to refinance world war one

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Spacewolf posted:

The American debt was never paid off. GDP has grown so much since it's insignificant.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

I spoke poorly and should clarify. The flags thing is central for the identity of the company. The cannon/pontoon bridges thing is more important for determining who won after the battle. In case the outcome was unclear, people will bring up whether you took flags/cannon/pontoons, and how many, to help them figure out who won. All three of them are symbolic, but they're symbolic in different ways.

That said, I'm honestly not sure if the presence and state of your flags determines just whether or not you can run or your relationship to literally everything in the Articles of War. However, I have read a bunch of mercenary contracts that speak of legal obligations relating to the regiment/company "as long as the flags fly on their poles," and they may have meant that literally.

Incidentally, this period makes a distinction between "fleeing the flag" (Fahnenflucht) and "desertion" (Außreisen) that the 18th century won't. For the 18th century, leaving at all is "Fahnenflucht" and it's bad. For the 17th, just walking off is Außreisen, and it's bad but not, you know, that bad. Leaving the flag in a literal sense (for instance, leaving the field once the flags are out of their cases and unfurled) is really bad. And the flag doesn't have to even be unfurled, depending on who you are: I read a case once where a Fendrich killed a college student in a fight and then immediately skipped town. The first thing everyone did when they figured out he was gone is go to his room and remove the flag, and they seemed more bent out of shape about the fact that he had "abandoned his flag" than about the killing. (It was pretty clearly self defense, at least according to the witnesses.)

All ceremonies are carried out in the presence of unfurled flags. When it's time to nail them on new poles, that's a little ritual in its own right. In Nuremberg once, when a soldier was punished by the city executioner and made "dishonorable" by his touch, he had to undergo a ritual in which he passed under his company's flags before he was "honorable" again and therefore fit to be a soldier.

I read an account of a mutiny where the company sent, I think it was the Lieutenant, down to deal with the mutinous soldiers, and one of the things he said was "This flag has been entrusted to me and to you. I will follow it, and when I die I will be wrapped in it." He didn't mean that literally, he would have seen what happens to the dead. But you can see the place his company's flag occupied in his mind.

Edit: Pictures:

Like everything else, flags were opulent and splendid.

"ACT OR SUFFER STRONGER THINGS" (?)
Detail:

The designs could be embroidered, as here, or painted on. The ground is either silk or a silk-linen blend.

Different flags within the same regiment keep the same color scheme; often, the Oberst's personal company (if he has one) has a similar scheme but with more white

"AFTER THE CLOUDS, THE SUN"
"something in German that expresses the same sentiment but this picture is too small for me to get it"

"MAY YOU BE PRESENT, OH JOVE, THE BEST LEADER"
"Thus it cannot be otherwise/
So God will be my field commander"

Never stop posting.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Never stop posting.
It's still really funny to me how the Fendriches are supposed to keep the flags in their rooms. I mean yeah, where else are they going to keep them, but still. Frederick the Great's army this ain't. (They and the drummers and pipers are also supposed to live near one another.)

Edit: To them, our armies would be this strange, this fascinating.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 8, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Let's put it this way:

It made the news recently when the Brits issued bonds to refinance world war one

Germany only paid of the last of the outstanding reparations for WWI in the early 2000s.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

"MAY YOU BE PRESENT, OH JOVE, THE BEST LEADER"
"Thus it cannot be otherwise/
So God will be my field commander"

So this is basically the 17th century equivalent of a JESUS IS MY COPILOT bumpersticker? The more things change...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

I could be misremembering this but I thought they sent the US a bunch of gold and stuff and were repaying cash until the 70s? The brits only recently finished repayment, like 2005 or something.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Agean90 posted:

So this is basically the 17th century equivalent of a JESUS IS MY COPILOT bumpersticker? The more things change...
Oh, they would have been all over that thing that was in the news a while back where someone was putting Bible verses on rifle scopes. The virulent patriotism that went with that, however, would have baffled them.

One of my favorite flags has a caltrop in a wreath with the motto WHEREVER I AM PLACED (since a caltrop always has one point facing up no matter how you throw it). I wonder if this had anything to do with the part where Saxony changed sides three times during the war? :v:

Edit: These are not the verses I would have picked, or that they would have picked, I think. Where is "the Lord said to my lord: Sit at my right hand and I shall make your enemies your footstool"? "The Lord is at Your right hand; He will shatter kings in the day of His wrath. He will judge among the nations, He will fill the ruins [with corpses]"? The "light" motif is properly symbolic for a scope (and would have been considered auspicious, so that's good), but this is mostly pretty weak.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 9, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

It's still really funny to me how the Fendriches are supposed to keep the flags in their rooms. I mean yeah, where else are they going to keep them, but still. Frederick the Great's army this ain't. (They and the drummers and pipers are also supposed to live near one another.)

Edit: To them, our armies would be this strange, this fascinating.

Can you recall the giant turkish flag that we saw on the museum's ceiling? The museum labeled it as "Standard of the prophet". That standard was mentioned often in the book about the Janissaries. The Ottomans claimed that it's a relic of the prophet himself, whatever that piece in the museum is, it's huge. I'm not sure that the grand vizier would ever carry it on campaign, but the Sultan did when setting out to do something important. There's mention of the flag getting used several times after the battle of Vienna, the last time that I know of, when they wiped out the Corps.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

dublish posted:

Is that JFC Fuller?

Possibly. Like I said, I don't remember the source. I've heard of Fuller, but I don't think I've read any of his stuff.

dublish posted:

It's also important to realize that neither army was really capable of outmaneuvering the other, barring something crazy like building an ungodly long pontoon bridge over the James River. Neither army has really recovered from 1863, neither army has any outstanding corps commanders left (after Longstreet gets shot anyway), and the Army of the Potomac in particular now has an awkward high command structure on top of training itself for the better part of 3 years to act defensively.

Are you talking about the Army of the Potomac being structured around a bunch of little corps? Or Grant traveling with it, making Meade pointless? Didn't Lee go away from the big corp structure later in the war when his subordinates weren't as good?

The South seems to have been lucky or skilled in identifying most of their talented commanders early in the war, while the North took quite a while. What if the initial fighting in Virgina had been Grant vs Johnson instead of McClellan vs Lee?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The French try counter-attacks in the south of the Ypres salient, as well as an offensive north of Bixschoote. Zouaves from Morocco help defend the Menin Road. There's another MSPaint of the latest situation there. Also, the trials of a sergeant who just wants to divvy up some rations...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

They didn't have to pay for equipment that was destroyed in battle or returned. They had to pay for everything else. Russia paid off a portion of the debt (Paris club), but I don't know if that was all of it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Can you recall the giant turkish flag that we saw on the museum's ceiling? The museum labeled it as "Standard of the prophet". That standard was mentioned often in the book about the Janissaries. The Ottomans claimed that it's a relic of the prophet himself, whatever that piece in the museum is, it's huge. I'm not sure that the grand vizier would ever carry it on campaign, but the Sultan did when setting out to do something important. There's mention of the flag getting used several times after the battle of Vienna, the last time that I know of, when they wiped out the Corps.
That was ill. I'm presuming nobody kept it in their room though, because the Ottomans are more well organized than the HRE, just like everyone else on earth.

BurningStone posted:

The South seems to have been lucky or skilled in identifying most of their talented commanders early in the war, while the North took quite a while. What if the initial fighting in Virgina had been Grant vs Johnson instead of McClellan vs Lee?
Grant vs. Longstreet :getin:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 8, 2014

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

HEY GAL posted:

Grant vs. Longstreet :getin:

If God didn't want us to engage in counterfactual history he wouldn't have made it so delicious. Like sex, beer or the Baconator.

Gonna pour a bourbon and think on Grant v. Longstreet for awhile...

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

The French try counter-attacks in the south of the Ypres salient, as well as an offensive north of Bixschoote. Zouaves from Morocco help defend the Menin Road. There's another MSPaint of the latest situation there. Also, the trials of a sergeant who just wants to divvy up some rations...

Wait, is all of the BEF at the Ypres right now? And yet the entire force holds less of the line than a single French division?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

ArchangeI posted:

Germany only paid of the last of the outstanding reparations for WWI in the early 2000s.

If I remember right, they took a long break during the Cold War and only started paying again after reunification.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Half the BEF is holding the middle of the salient; the other half is holding a much longer section of line from (just west of) Messines to about Festubert, then the French take on again. I should probably get rid of at least one of those 7th Division labels, by now they've transferred men south who ten days ago were holding the Yser, which is why they're now trying to attack a few miles north (and going nowhere, natch). At one time that was an extremely weakly-held bit of line and the Germans somehow didn't notice because they were too busy bashing their heads against Dixmude. Kind of like how it took them far too long to attack Messines Ridge when it was held by a few cavalrymen and Territorials.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Another good flag was a hedgehog with the motto I AM ENFOLDED IN MY VIRTUE. All the company flags in that regiment had symbolic animals, but the hedgehog in particular is an old symbol of the landsknechts/reiselaeufer, and that may have been what they were going for.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 9, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Nenonen posted:

They never had to pay a dime.

Nope. The Soviet paid for a sizable portion of the Lend-Lease aid they received. They paid in cash, post-war repayments, and payment in kind through Reverse Lend-Lease.

Prior to the first protocol in October 1941, all US Lend-Lease aid to the Soviet Union was paid for in cash, gold, or raw materials. After October 1941, the US extended credit to the USSR. Much of this debt was written off, but Truman still asked for about $1B in repayment. The Soviet hemmed and hawed until 1972, when they agreed to pay about $700M (the US had threatened to stop shipping grain to the Soviets if the Russians kept dragging their feet).

The Soviet also had some debt (about $2M) written off through Reverse Lend-Lease. Basically, the US gave the Allies Lend-Lease credits for services like letting American planes use Allied airfields.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

BurningStone posted:

Yeah, Lee lucked into getting command of the Army of Northern Virginia. If Joe Johnston hadn't got hit at Seven Pines, he probably would have been forgotten by history.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Who was the fat confederate general that Sherman sniped with a cannon during the Atlanta Campaign?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Leonidas Polk. Supposedly the other generals with him legged it once the artillerist got their range, but he didn't.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

BurningStone posted:

Are you talking about the Army of the Potomac being structured around a bunch of little corps? Or Grant traveling with it, making Meade pointless? Didn't Lee go away from the big corp structure later in the war when his subordinates weren't as good?

Long story short is that corps commands in the Army of the Potomac (and in other Union armies, though to a much lesser extent) were highly political. The original corps were created to give the administration a way to bypass McClellan, and McClellan made more so he'd have a couple of friendly subordinates. The command culture that these kinds of shenanigans encouraged had a huge impact on the AotP's high command throughout the war. Corps commanders found it very easy to bypass Burnside and Hooker, for example. Hooker even made it a condition of his promotion to command the AotP that he be allowed to bypass Halleck to talk straight to Lincoln. Meade, by virtue of being both competent (unlike Burnside) and not having schemed his way into command (unlike Hooker) was able to get that mess mostly sorted out, and reorganized the AotP into 3 corps.

The command relationship between Grant and Meade during the Overland Campaign is complicated. The independent status of the IX corps didn't exactly make it easy for Meade to command the army, nor did Grant siding with Sheridan post-Wilderness and losing the army all its cavalry for a month. Grant took increasingly direct control until North Anna, then backed off and subordinated IX Corps to Meade. Grant soon had reason to regret easing off.

Yes, Lee went from two to three corps commanders after Jackson died. I wouldn't want a new corps commander overwhelmed by being in charge of half my army either. Lee wrote at the time that he'd long thought that the army's corps were too big to be effectively controlled in rough terrain, though I suspect that until Jackson's death forced his hand he was unwilling to promote anyone he was unsure of.

I disagree that the South was any better than the North at picking good commanders. Joe Johnston was the South's McClellan analogue, and it's not like Gideon Pillow and John Floyd were the second coming of Napoleon. The South lucked out in Virginia, but had personnel issues throughout the war in every other theater. Both sides put whoever had high rank in the pre-war army in command positions at the start, and both sides filled out their rosters with state militia commanders and political appointees. I think the North just seems to have more poor commanders because they just have so many more command positions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Saint Celestine posted:

Who was the fat confederate general that Sherman sniped with a cannon during the Atlanta Campaign?

I just came across that little tidbit while reading Longstreet's wikipedia page. Not only did that artillery man manage to take Polk out with the shell, but he actually direct impacted him. drat near cut him in two apparently.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sullat posted:

Leonidas Polk. Supposedly the other generals with him legged it once the artillerist got their range, but he didn't.

The man had a face that probably incited the rage of anyone with occasion to view it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

The man had a face that probably incited the rage of anyone with occasion to view it.

No, you're thinking of Ben Butler.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dublish posted:

Butler makes you think the last guy shot him in the face. Polk, though:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

dublish posted:

Was Butler as bad as he is remembered?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Pro-Conferates hated Butler because he was a radical abolitionist, and his stint as military governor in New Orleans made him extremely hated in the South. So he gets a bad rep. As a military commander, he was somewhat mediocre but he managed to organize the occupation of New Orleans better than anyone else could have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mycroft Holmes posted:

He was a pretty big rear end in a top hat, from basically ordering his men occupying New Orleans to consider any woman who wasn't polite a whore, to blatant war profiteering, to being a bad general.

I mean, in terms of non-war stuff I guess he wouldn't be considered a bad guy - asked the secessionist SC delegation to be arrested for treason, early to treat escaped slaves as contraband thus refusing to return them to their enslavers, saw the war coming and tried to get Buchanan to act, was somewhat charitable, but man he was a lovely guy in the war.

• Locked thread