Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Maybe if he was white. But I mean, come on, getting to have robot legs is metal as hell.

I was curious to see if there was any artwork showing his robot legs and I didn't notice this page until just a moment ago searching:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/story/planeswalkers/daretti

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Is there any format Chaos Orb is legal in? Because I want to flip one once in my life.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Can't you just put it in an EDH deck? Unless you're playing in a serious tournament then whoever objects is a monster.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mercury Crusader posted:

I was curious to see if there was any artwork showing his robot legs and I didn't notice this page until just a moment ago searching:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/story/planeswalkers/daretti

:black101:

So he's the badguy from Wild Wild West.

:geno:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

odiv posted:

Can't you just put it in an EDH deck? Unless you're playing in a serious tournament then whoever objects is a monster.

EDH has the Vintage banlist plus some. SHELDOOOON! :argh:

Bust it out amongst friends, they shouldn't mind.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Boxman posted:

Wild Wild West rules, I don't see what the problem is.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Is there any format Chaos Orb is legal in? Because I want to flip one once in my life.
It's dope in cube. We errata it to only let you pick one of the permanents it touches so people don't get stupid trying to play around it. It's brutal even then. I love dexterity cards.

I could see it being ok in commander assuming you don't use it rules as written, then it is ridiculous because with some practice you can hit a ton of lands.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Boxman posted:

The worst tragedy of Wild Wild West is that it somehow convinced some people that giant robot spiders aren't rad as gently caress.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Boxman posted:

I'll be involved in a sealed PTQ tomorrow. I haven't done 6xKTK since the pre-release, which is obviously a bizarre version of the format. I have done a decent number of drafts, though, so I have some sort of understanding of the limited format in general. Anyone have any sealed-specific advice?

Sorry for the crosspost, but try and open something like this:

Also Ari Lax's take on it JUST expired from behind the scg paywal today, so lucky you!

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/29480_Inside-Khans-Of-Tarkir-Sealed.html

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's dope in cube. We errata it to only let you pick one of the permanents it touches so people don't get stupid trying to play around it. It's brutal even then. I love dexterity cards.

I could see it being ok in commander assuming you don't use it rules as written, then it is ridiculous because with some practice you can hit a ton of lands.

I know some people errata it to say "Choose a permanent. Destroy that permanent.", which is essentially what it says if both players play it properly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I have no clue why Lion's Eye Diamond is restricted in Vintage and totally legal in Legacy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

I have no clue why Lion's Eye Diamond is restricted in Vintage and totally legal in Legacy.

Why is the same true of Brainstorm? Because its power grows exponentially w/ the other cards in the deck?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think there was a long time in vintage when combo was just the only way to play. A lot of the restricted list is just trying to keep burning wish storm in check, I believe.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Why is the same true of Brainstorm? Because its power grows exponentially w/ the other cards in the deck?

Brainstorm is dumb with Oath of Druids.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Brainstorm is dumb with Oath of Druids.

Gotcha

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I know some people errata it to say "Choose a permanent. Destroy that permanent.", which is essentially what it says if both players play it properly.
You gotta flip it though. It's dexterity testing. I wouldn't let someone use it as a vindicate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The other issue is that Ponder, Brainstorm, Recall and Preordain all let you filter through a LOT of cards in general and a ton of decks are Storm decks with basically nothing but "free" or close to free cards.

Griselbrand is a very popular Vintage card mostly because he functions almost exactly like Yawgmoth's Bargain. You just win if you get him out, particularly if you Brainstormed him to the top so you have a lot of cards in your library to draw.

cheetah7071 posted:

I think there was a long time in vintage when combo was just the only way to play. A lot of the restricted list is just trying to keep burning wish storm in check, I believe.

I think restricting Burning Wish was the last thing they even did on the Vintage list, though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also Ari Lax's take on it JUST expired from behind the scg paywal today, so lucky you!

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/29480_Inside-Khans-Of-Tarkir-Sealed.html

Oh awesome, thanks!

Also, how many rounds can I reasonably expect for an PTQ? Is this the sort of thing where I should be bringing snacks for between rounds? I knew I should for an SCG Open, but those are streamed so I knew what to expect.

Attending actual tournaments is fun. :3:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Boxman posted:

Oh awesome, thanks!

Also, how many rounds can I reasonably expect for an PTQ? Is this the sort of thing where I should be bringing snacks for between rounds? I knew I should for an SCG Open, but those are streamed so I knew what to expect.

Deck Registration + Deck building, then 7-8 rounds.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Boxman posted:

Oh awesome, thanks!

Definitely bring something to munch on between rounds, but don't load up on sugar or you could find yourself crashing late in the day. Eat a good breakfast and stay hydrated, playing cards for 9 hours straight is surprisingly tiring.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Boxman posted:

Oh awesome, thanks!

What Cactrot said, and also get a good night's sleep beforehand. Take it from me, testing until 7 AM's upsides do not outweigh the reality of being braindead in round 7. Good luck!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Lots of cards are restricted in Vintage while just fine in Legacy because of how they interact with everything else. Like, Merchant Scroll isn't a problem when it's finding you a High Tide - but if it's an extra four copies of Mystical Tutor (that are then an extra four copies of Tinker), that's a little degenerate. Lots of the generic good blue draw spells are restricted for similar reasons (and you can expect Treasure Cruise and Dig to get added to that list).

And then there's poo poo like Lotus Petal which is at a good power level for Legacy, but combined with all the other fast mana in Vintage you have problems with too much of a critical mass.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm out. What's the best way of selling a collection?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The guys in the Trades Thread will probably give you good deals on anything of value and the bulk you can flip on Ebay or something for whatever sounds right for the amount of cards you're moving.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

That's a very complicated question and it depends on like a million things, PM if you want some advice or post about it in the SA mart thread.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Alabaster White posted:

Make a nice, organized list of what you have and post it here.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Should have followed the MTG B/S/T Megathread advice and not have tried to trade on MTG Salvation Market Street. Everyone there fancies themselves a trade shark and wants max value for everything and it feels like a hostage negotiation instead of trading pieces of cardboard.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Alabaster White posted:

Mail it all to me and I will send you a dollar in return.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Mail it all to me and I will send you a dollar in return.

I'll give you two dollars.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Two bob.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hope Brad Nelson goes 0-3 drop with this janky rear end heroic deck. He's losing to another janktastic WB Heroic list.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

I hope Brad Nelson goes 0-3 drop with this janky rear end heroic deck. He's losing to another janktastic WB Heroic list.

Nope.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cactrot posted:

Definitely bring something to munch on between rounds, but don't load up on sugar or you could find yourself crashing late in the day. Eat a good breakfast and stay hydrated, playing cards for 9 hours straight is surprisingly tiring.

Tell me about it, I finally made it to an FNM last night and it ended up being a six-rounder :gonk: I was ready to collapse by the end having not eaten since noon, and I thought the dude I played in the last round (which decided who gets prizes) was going to jump me in the parking lot. Ended up 4-2 playing Sub Slight beating BGx 2-0, RUG Morphs 2-1, and Mardu Midrange 2-0, then losing to RG Ramp 0-2 and Mardu Tokens 1-2, then beating Jeskai Midrange 2-1. The last guy also told me "you need to be better at combat math" after game 1, didn't shake my hand after the match (I offered it, which I guess offended him) then I heard him complaining about being done with Standard afterwords. I want to chalk that up to still playing FNM past midnight, but maybe if every single land in your deck didn't come into play tapped you'd get better mana, dick.

Everyone else was nice though, my round 3 opponent was some kid just getting into the game and I let him play Modern against me with my Goblin deck and he loved it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

Everyone else was nice though, my round 3 opponent was some kid just getting into the game and I let him play Modern against me with my Goblin deck and he loved it.

Goblin.

Goblin Goblin, Swing for Goblin.

Goblin Goblin Goblin kill you.

Literally the best deck in any format. :getin:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Count Bleck posted:

Goblin.

Goblin Goblin, Swing for Goblin.

Goblin Goblin Goblin kill you.

Literally the best deck in any format. :getin:

Not in legacy. I love playing against goblins in legacy.

Goblin... Goblin goblin goblin....

Engineered plague naming Goblin.

....huh....

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not in legacy. I love playing against goblins in legacy.

Goblin... Goblin goblin goblin....

Engineered plague naming Goblin.

....huh....

You let them get the mana for Engineered Plague. It should be more like Vial, Goblin, ports and wastelands, more ports, more wastelands, maybe a goblin.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

C-Euro posted:

Tell me about it, I finally made it to an FNM last night and it ended up being a six-rounder :gonk: I was ready to collapse by the end having not eaten since noon, and I thought the dude I played in the last round (which decided who gets prizes) was going to jump me in the parking lot. Ended up 4-2 playing Sub Slight beating BGx 2-0, RUG Morphs 2-1, and Mardu Midrange 2-0, then losing to RG Ramp 0-2 and Mardu Tokens 1-2, then beating Jeskai Midrange 2-1. The last guy also told me "you need to be better at combat math" after game 1, didn't shake my hand after the match (I offered it, which I guess offended him) then I heard him complaining about being done with Standard afterwords. I want to chalk that up to still playing FNM past midnight, but maybe if every single land in your deck didn't come into play tapped you'd get better mana, dick.

Pretty sure I know who you played against, he has a big beard with blonde/dirty blonde hair, late 20's and a stocky build. He does that to literally everybody. He's a massive baby, his nickname in our group is princess. Don't take it personally.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Is there a list of EDH staples that can go in basically any deck like artifacts or lands and maybe a list of good cards of each color ? I want to spice up the white and black pre-cons that the misses and I just bought. I don't want to re-invent the wheel by searching Gatherer for keywords that I can think of if I don't have to.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This one's years old but still has a bunch of useful lists and I think the cards were voted on by the people in the forum (even if MTGS is kinda lame as a whole): http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/archives/218227-edh-top-50-cards-list

EDIT: Oh wait that's an archived version of the thread, this version was posted years ago but according to the edit line it's still being constantly updated via votes:
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/203883-the-top-50-list-week-1-multicolored-spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

End of Life Guy posted:

Is there a list of EDH staples that can go in basically any deck like artifacts or lands and maybe a list of good cards of each color ? I want to spice up the white and black pre-cons that the misses and I just bought. I don't want to re-invent the wheel by searching Gatherer for keywords that I can think of if I don't have to.

something like this is a fine start (~2 years old so prices are probably a lot lower and it's missing the last ~5 sets):
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/24454_Commander-Staples-And-The-Hall-of-Fame.html

I was able to pick up the Red and White precons at my local Walmart with no problem while on another errand :cool:

• Locked thread