Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
If that is the flag from after WWI, why does the Swedish one retain the "herring salad" union emblem? They stopped using that one in 1905 after the dissolution of the personal union with Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThePutty posted:

this will be dumb, but why is it white? am I missing something there

I believe they were too lazy to make a new flag and just edited it in 1914. This is the flag during WWI from what a local amateur historian told me.

EDIT:
Germany was kicked out of Asia and had its concessions taken well before Versailles.

DOUBLE EDIT:
That flag was not official either. It was just a flag to represent an ad hoc government of businessmen that China allowed to rule the city.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 8, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Didn't know Sweden-Norway had such a presence there, or Denmark for that matter. Gotta do some digging on that.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

at least the aral sea gets to make a comeback if the seas rise

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pimpmust posted:

Didn't know Sweden-Norway had such a presence there, or Denmark for that matter. Gotta do some digging on that.

Alas, poor Denmark, I knew him well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

Oh hey at least Russia is gonna get a warm water port. :buddy:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ThePutty posted:

at least the aral sea gets to make a comeback if the seas rise

I don't think it will, that was a known problem with the algorithm last time I saw that map.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't think it will, that was a known problem with the algorithm last time I saw that map.

It might if it links with Caspian.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Pimpmust posted:

Is it bad that all I can think about is how fun it'd be to play CK2 as a merchant republic on this map? :v:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

DrSunshine posted:

Is it bad that all I can think about is how fun it'd be to play CK2 as a merchant republic on this map? :v:

Well some of your biggest competitors (Venice, the Netherlands, and the Hanseatic League) would all be underwater, so go for it!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Caspian finally gets to be back with its ocean friends again. :unsmith:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Even the Pannonian Sea is trying to make a comeback. A tiny, lakey comeback.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The mainland of Greece seems to be nearly as big as it is today, that's remarkable.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pimpmust posted:

The Neverlands

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Torrannor posted:

The mainland of Greece seems to be nearly as big as it is today, that's remarkable.

The magic of being like, all mountains.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kuwait and Iraq aren't doing to pretty there. I wonder what the Suez would look like there.

How high is the water rising in that map?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

my dad posted:

Even the Pannonian Sea is trying to make a comeback. A tiny, lakey comeback.

Yeah that's probably an error too, unless it's connected to the sea it won't rise.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Kuwait and Iraq aren't doing to pretty there. I wonder what the Suez would look like there.

How high is the water rising in that map?

I'm guessing 100m or so which is little extreme.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

That's the entire Po Valley, the Low Countries, Mesopotamia, Istanbul, Saint-Petersburg, London and Hamburg gone. However much of a worst case scenario this map might be, it really highlights the catastrophic level of population displacement such a rise in sea level would cause.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Anosmoman posted:

I'm guessing 100m or so which is little extreme.
66m actually, which the national geographic article assumes as the sea level rise that would result from a full melt of every glacier/ice cap. These kinds of maps are really dependent on the resolution/fidelity of the map you're working with though, plus facts such as sea level rise not being uniform. (IIRC, 66m worldwide would be about 88m on the East Coast of the US for example.)

escape mechanism posted:

That's the entire Po Valley, the Low Countries, Mesopotamia, Istanbul, Saint-Petersburg, London and Hamburg gone. However much of a worst case scenario this map might be, it really highlights the catastrophic level of population displacement such a rise in sea level would cause.
150 million Bengali sail by in life rafts, playing the tiniest violins.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 8, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

66m actually, which the national geographic article assumes as the sea level rise that would result from a full melt of every glacier/ice cap. These kinds of maps are really dependent on the resolution/fidelity of the map you're working with though, plus facts such as sea level rise not being uniform. (IIRC, 66m worldwide would be about 88m on the East Coast of the US for example.)

Why is that? It would be a higher increase at the equator I'd think, and lower towards the polls.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

escape mechanism posted:

wouldn't a lot of inland areas suddenly become a lot more fertile or at least viable for farming and population centres? i mean, this would inevitably kill probably hundreds of millions of people so at least if the world did sink the population would match the sudden lack of huge food areas

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Problem is that most human cities, especially the big ones, are placed near water (connected to the ocean). Even if the inlands grows more fertile, that's almost all of civilization that needs to be moved/rebuilt, over a shortish amount of time.

I know that the muncipal city planners around here are taking something like 1,2 meters into account over the next 100 years, so any new business close to the coast/river needs to do studies to account for increased erosion and the like.

If we actually get up to 11 meters+ we're totally boned (but not as boned as Denmark/Netherlands)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ThePutty posted:

wouldn't a lot of inland areas suddenly become a lot more fertile or at least viable for farming and population centres? i mean, this would inevitably kill probably hundreds of millions of people so at least if the world did sink the population would match the sudden lack of huge food areas

I don't think gradual rising of sea-levels is fast enough to kill people...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

DarkCrawler posted:

Well they might not drown, but if a hundred million Bangladeshi people had to pack their bags, flip a coin and head either east or west, I'd imagine we would have famines that Stalin woulda been proud of.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

The effects of it are expected to kill plenty though. Changing disease ranges, wars, water issues, etc. Global farmland probably wouldn't change all that much from what I've read, large areas of Canada and Russia would become much more arable. Of course there are issues with those areas being remote and having no infrastructure for such things. Also farmland opening up in Russia doesn't really help a villager in Bangladesh or somewhere in central Africa turning even more arid.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
At the very least, it will finally provide incentive for people to stop thinking global warming is a hoax.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno, there are literally places flooding right now from sea level rising and it doesn't seem to stop the idiots. And not just weird brown people places, Venice is already being affected.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh hey at least Russia is gonna get a warm water port. :buddy:

If all the sea ice melts won't they all be warm water?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ThePutty posted:

wouldn't a lot of inland areas suddenly become a lot more fertile or at least viable for farming and population centres?

That depends on the location IIRC. I saw a few articles recently about rising temperatures (and decreased rainfall) having the potential to utterly wreck wine production in Italy, Spain and Southern France (in case you don't know, grapvines get wrecked by excessive humidity and generally aren't affected by droughts, so you can imagine what that would mean for other crops). Lord help countries that are closer to the equator.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Speaking of sea level rise, here's a map where you can enter how much you expect the sea to rise and see if you'll be underwater:

http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/

My apartment will be on an island, and I'll have to take a boat to work :c00lbert:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

In reality, the Netherlands would become an island with 50 meter high dikes along its entire circumference.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Pimpmust posted:

These maps are always interesting, although I doubt the Gulf of Bothnia (northern part of the Baltic Sea) will be flooded that much if at all. Sea level keeps lowering there all the time, relatively rapidly, because the crust of the Earth is slowly recovering from the few kilometers of ice that pressed it down during the last ice age. Moderate estimates (that I remember reading from newspapers) seemed to indicate that the global rise of the sea levels might be just enough to slow or stop that but probably not counter it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Carbon dioxide posted:

In reality, the Netherlands would become an island with 50 meter high dikes along its entire circumference.

Or an entirely domed underwater country.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
A map from the Middle-East thread, and politically-loaded as hell:

Courtesy of Joshua Landis:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fade5 posted:

A map from the Middle-East thread, and politically-loaded as hell:

Courtesy of Joshua Landis:

The Middle East has a long and successful history of being divided according to straight lines through the desert

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

The Middle East has a long and successful history of being divided according to straight lines through the desert

Beat me to it. But the straight lines look so nice, and clean!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Valiantman posted:

These maps are always interesting, although I doubt the Gulf of Bothnia (northern part of the Baltic Sea) will be flooded that much if at all. Sea level keeps lowering there all the time, relatively rapidly, because the crust of the Earth is slowly recovering from the few kilometers of ice that pressed it down during the last ice age. Moderate estimates (that I remember reading from newspapers) seemed to indicate that the global rise of the sea levels might be just enough to slow or stop that but probably not counter it.

The land is rising at the rate of ~10 mm/year (or less) so it wouldn't help a lot if most of Antarktis decided to melt within the next 100-200 years.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grand Fromage posted:

The effects of it are expected to kill plenty though. Changing disease ranges, wars, water issues, etc. Global farmland probably wouldn't change all that much from what I've read, large areas of Canada and Russia would become much more arable. Of course there are issues with those areas being remote and having no infrastructure for such things. Also farmland opening up in Russia doesn't really help a villager in Bangladesh or somewhere in central Africa turning even more arid.
Not all farmland is created equal though. 30% of not much of anything is going to have a hard time making up for even 5-10% of a whole lot.

Count Roland posted:

Why is that? It would be a higher increase at the equator I'd think, and lower towards the polls.
I managed to find an image/map that mostly explains this.

Basically, Greenland melting wouldn't be that much of a disaster for Europe, especially the countries that touch the North Sea. (The Netherlands possibly excluded.) Assuming it was just Greenland that melted, and the fallout from sea level rise everywhere else somehow didn't do anything here. Hell, it would actually make the West Antarctic Ice Sheet melting less of a big deal for the ones within the blue circle, since Greenland wouldn't be pulling that water all the way up here. Of course Europe's gain means someone else gets a little extra, that being places with a ton of people.

However, I did misremember the facts a bit. North America getting the brunt of it would be from the WAIS melting, not a complete melt. Antarctica being where it is, and having about 10 times the ice of Greenland, pretty much makes the rest irrelevant. Though of course Greenland and the West Antartic Ice Sheet are the ones actually rapidly deteriorating, while the larger East Antarctic Ice Sheet is possibly growing due to increased precipitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The map of Europe under 100 m of sea level rise is great -- are there similar maps for the other regions of the world? I'm interested in seeing how it'd look for East/Southeast Asia.

EDIT:

Best I can find--

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 9, 2014