Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Nope, got about two fingers widths worth of play in it. Tire pressure is good, too (and tires are almost brand-new Avon Distanzias).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nitrogen posted:

What's the spec for checking the valves on your bike? Pretty sure that's within the period I'd need to check them on my bike, so you should do it anyway.

EDIT: IS dealercostparts.com just a really horrible site, or am I having bad luck getting stuff from them? Ordered something on Saturday and it's still "Processing"

With sites like that it could still be "processing" when it is at your door

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Akion posted:

First inspection is (per the manual) at 14,500 miles.

Not to say it can't be the case, but I haven't heard of a DRZ with stock cams needing valves adjusted before the interval.

How many miles are you seeing per tank?

Akion posted:

Eh, I'm in the city so there isn't a ton of dust. The bike has a secondary (metal screen) filter as well. Only planning to do so for about 30 miles because that'll let me know if it has any impact on my mpg.

That screen isn't a filter, it's a baffle to keep backfires from lighting your filter on fire, and will only filter big chunks. A better test is to try riding with the 3x3 taped over, or the door off the airbox.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 5, 2014

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a brake disc lock for an SV650? I'm guessing they're all fairly similar, but wanted to get some advice before I jumped in on something.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Not to say it can't be the case, but I haven't heard of a DRZ with stock cams needing valves adjusted before the interval.

How many miles are you seeing per tank?

That screen isn't a filter, it's a baffle to keep backfires from lighting your filter on fire, and will only filter big chunks. A better test is to try riding with the 3x3 taped over, or the door off the airbox.

50-60 miles before reserve. Was about 65-75 before I did the FCR, 3x3, and went to the twinair.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Trauma Tank posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a brake disc lock for an SV650? I'm guessing they're all fairly similar, but wanted to get some advice before I jumped in on something.

I'd save the money for the comp deductible.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

clutchpuck posted:

I'd save the money for the comp deductible.

I'm aware of the likely fate of bikes being stolen, this is mostly as something I can fit in the storage and use to deter joyriders when I park it not at home rather than outright prevent theft. I also plan to get one of those day-glo cable things to loop over the bars to the disc lock as well, both to draw attention to it and so I don't forget.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Trauma Tank posted:

http://www.stichtingart.nl/sloten_resultaat.asp

From the dropdown, choose "Remschijfsloten".

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

nitrogen posted:

Will get you a pic of the bars tonight, but they don't fit 100%. They are up against the tank at full turn, and i think were home made, and welded not as well as they should have been.

If you really want them, I will sell them to you for shipping+$10. They look a bit like this (NOT ACTUAL PIC)

I pmed you about the bars. I'm interested.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Akion posted:

50-60 miles before reserve. Was about 65-75 before I did the FCR, 3x3, and went to the twinair.

You have to be rich, either on the main or needle, or likely both. I would think if it was THAT rich it would run terrible though. What else, if anything, changed with the bike?

To put this in perspective, I had an MRD exhaust, fcr, 3x3 and a stock filter and I got 80 miles to reserve, 90 if i was light on the throttle.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You have to be rich, either on the main or needle, or likely both. I would think if it was THAT rich it would run terrible though. What else, if anything, changed with the bike?

To put this in perspective, I had an MRD exhaust, fcr, 3x3 and a stock filter and I got 80 miles to reserve, 90 if i was light on the throttle.

I was gonna say my last DRZ got like 80 something before fill-up tooling around town. Marxalot can weigh in on that?

My first DRZ had a huge Clarke tank and seemed to go on forever. Like 150+ miles. It was a rude awakening going from that to a high strung R6 that got like 20mpg.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Akion posted:

So, tech question:

2008 DRZ400SM is getting bad (like, 25-30mpg) gas mileage. I just recently put an FCR-39MX (bigger carb) on and jetted it per a fairly respected mechanics recommendation for my elevation (5280').

Even before the carb, I was only getting 35mpg on the high end (only mod was the exhaust and a K&N filter) I thought it was my lovely K&N filter, but it was replaced with a Twinair when we did the carb and 3x3 airbox mod.

Anyone have any ideas? I rode like a grandpa on my last tank and managed ~31mpg. Riding like normal I got 25mpg on the tank before that (city riding). The bike runs awesome, no bogging/sputtering no fuel smell or puddles, or anything, and just a little bit of popping on decel from the top-end. It just... sucks gas?

Bike is a 2008 DRZ400SM with about 7.5k miles on it.
Mods:
Yoshimura full exhaust
FCR-39MX
3x3 Mod (3x3 inch hole cut in the airbox)
Twinair Filter

Carb setup:
152 main jet
200 main air jet
emp needle
45 pilot jet
100 pilot air jet
2 turns fuel screw

I'm going to try running without a filter for a few days and see if that helps at all, but I'm not really sure that's it since I already swapped it once before.

You can have people guess here on the jetting or just go search through Thumpertalk - that place has every jetting setup for every DRZ configuration ever made. If it's running awesome I'd wager you're fine and you're either not calculating your MPG accurately or someone is stealing your gas...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah at this point you may have to take it to thumpertalk, I honestly don't remember the jetting specifics, and it sounds like others here don't remember either.

Guaranteed someone has had the same question with the same config as you on TT

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Okay bros, sorry about the lovely cell phone pics. I was 3 miles from home when my shifter pedel (linkage?) popped/broke. I was stuck in 1st gear all the way home.

My clymers manual hasn't arrived yet. I am wondering if this is a small part I can easily replace or is it the whole shifter/pedal assembly?

1985 Honda Magna 700C

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You replace the gear lever. That end of the shift rod is a ball joint pressed into the gear lever itself, they're not supposed to come apart ever.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I was gonna say my last DRZ got like 80 something before fill-up tooling around town. Marxalot can weigh in on that?

My first DRZ had a huge Clarke tank and seemed to go on forever. Like 150+ miles. It was a rude awakening going from that to a high strung R6 that got like 20mpg.

There's no way in hell he should be hitting reserve at 50. Most of what I do involves going down the highway at near WOT and I still do about 80-85 until res. It can probably do 100 if you do nothing but 45-50 in 5th.

e: Can you start it in the cold with no choke at all? You're probably running rich as poo poo.

e2: This weekend I'm going to try to time the accelerator pump on this thing. Is there an easier way to do it that doesn't involve taking off the subframe(that has a stuck bolt)/airbox and watching the little jet squirt gas at the slide? I tried to do it without taking anything off at all, and that just made a little bog into a whole lot of bog.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 7, 2014

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Hi question thread, looking for some advice.

I owned a Ninja 250 for about 4 years that I sold a couple years ago when I desperately needed money and also moved on to other hobbies. I enjoyed riding the bike, never felt like I needed to "upgrade", but the biggest issue I had with the 250 was that it was uncomfortable to ride. Any rides over an hour were hell on my rear end and back.

Fast forward to this summer and while I was on vacation in Florida I ended up renting a small 50cc scooter for going up and down the beaches and roadways. The riding bug bit me hard again, and I realized something about Scooters that I had dismissed my entire life because "scooters are dumb and gay and for babbies", it was a ton of fun! I was on the scoot all day without any comfort issues, and it was just plain fun to ride. It took me a few days to come to terms with it, and my friends gave me the expected amount of poo poo and hassle when I told them I was thinking about buying a scooter, but it's true - I kinda want to buy a scooter.

50cc is too underpowered for where I live, so I've been looking at 125-150cc scooters. There is one thing I just can't get over though, and that's feeling like a big dumb babby riding a scooter that all my friends will make fun of, and the lack of real power on a scooter. I never felt limited by the Ninja 250 I rode, but its shortcomings definitely showed when I rode two-up with my wife, and which I plan to continue doing if I get a scoot. I never rode on highways much even when I had the 250 but I don't want to be limited to where I can go, and I know a 150cc scoot will still barely be enough to keep up on the highways here.

Where I'm at now, I still can't decide between another bike or a scoot. I can't decide between the comfort and fun of the scoot, or the power and style of a bike. What is important to me most though, is being comfortable when I'm riding.

So I have two questions - is something wrong with me or is there such thing as a comfortable sport bike in the budget market (500cc and under)? Would a CBR500, for example, be more comfortable to ride than the Ninja 250 or are they all pretty similar when it comes to their seats? And is there anyone that switched from riding a bike to a scooter and regretted it as I'm afraid I would?

nsaP posted:

Don't buy a scooter. They're for homos, fags, and homofagqueers.

That's what the guys will call me on ride nights. :ohdear:

The Shep fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 7, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Don't buy a scooter. They're for homos, fags, and homofagqueers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Hi question thread, looking for some advice.

I owned a Ninja 250 for about 4 years that I sold a couple years ago when I desperately needed money and also moved on to other hobbies. I enjoyed riding the bike, never felt like I needed to "upgrade", but the biggest issue I had with the 250 was that it was uncomfortable to ride. Any rides over an hour were hell on my rear end and back.

Fast forward to this summer and while I was on vacation in Florida I ended up renting a small 50cc scooter for going up and down the beaches and roadways. The riding bug bit me hard again, and I realized something about Scooters that I had dismissed my entire life because "scooters are dumb and gay and for babbies", it was a ton of fun! I was on the scoot all day without any comfort issues, and it was just plain fun to ride. It took me a few days to come to terms with it, and my friends gave me the expected amount of poo poo and hassle when I told them I was thinking about buying a scooter, but it's true - I kinda want to buy a scooter.

50cc is too underpowered for where I live, so I've been looking at 125-150cc scooters. There is one thing I just can't get over though, and that's feeling like a big dumb babby riding a scooter that all my friends will make fun of, and the lack of real power on a scooter. I never felt limited by the Ninja 250 I rode, but its shortcomings definitely showed when I rode two-up with my wife, and which I plan to continue doing if I get a scoot. I never rode on highways much even when I had the 250 but I don't want to be limited to where I can go, and I know a 150cc scoot will still barely be enough to keep up on the highways here.

Where I'm at now, I still can't decide between another bike or a scoot. I can't decide between the comfort and fun of the scoot, or the power and style of a bike. What is important to me most though, is being comfortable when I'm riding.

So I have two questions - is something wrong with me or is there such thing as a comfortable sport bike in the budget market (500cc and under)? Would a CBR500, for example, be more comfortable to ride than the Ninja 250 or are they all pretty similar when it comes to their seats? And is there anyone that switched from riding a bike to a scooter and regretted it as I'm afraid I would?

How about an 850cc scooter?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

I feel like at that point you might as well just get a motorcycle, but maybe you're on to something... I'll definitely check into them because although they still look kinda goofy it looks like a much more comfortable riding position. Thanks!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I feel like at that point you might as well just get a motorcycle, but maybe you're on to something... I'll definitely check into them because although they still look kinda goofy it looks like a much more comfortable riding position. Thanks!

I've no idea how common they are where you are, but a maxi scooter generally sounds like it'd suit your needs pretty well. Basically they make a shitload more sense in all sorts of ways - easy handling, comfortable, lots of storage, and quick enough for most circumstances.

Obviously I wouldn't touch one with yours but you know...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Or a burgman 400/650. They're like the goldwings of scoots. My buddy's 400 tops out at 98 with the right variator weights :)

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Or a burgman 400/650. They're like the goldwings of scoots. My buddy's 400 tops out at 98 with the right variator weights :)

The 400cc scooters do look really interesting, and yeah they hit everything on my list. I'm even warming up to their style. What about the Yamaha Majesty? My budget is about 3k and it looks like I wouldn't have a problem finding a used Burgman or Majesty 400 in that range.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I've seen that 850 in person and frankly it looks pretty good.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Buying and having a motorcycle shipped to you, dumb idea or maybe not?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sight unseen? Dumb.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

1. Be sure you develop an Italian accent. This should address any issues your friends may have with you buying a scooter ("oh, yeah he's just Italian. Loves soccer too.").
2. Was it riding position or the seat that was uncomfortable?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rizuhbull posted:

Buying and having a motorcycle shipped to you, dumb idea or maybe not?

Fly n ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marxalot posted:

There's no way in hell he should be hitting reserve at 50. Most of what I do involves going down the highway at near WOT and I still do about 80-85 until res. It can probably do 100 if you do nothing but 45-50 in 5th.

e: Can you start it in the cold with no choke at all? You're probably running rich as poo poo.

e2: This weekend I'm going to try to time the accelerator pump on this thing. Is there an easier way to do it that doesn't involve taking off the subframe(that has a stuck bolt)/airbox and watching the little jet squirt gas at the slide? I tried to do it without taking anything off at all, and that just made a little bog into a whole lot of bog.

Yeah you can take the carb off, which is arguably easier than taking the subframe off.

You can also take the airbox boot out and look between the airbox and carb bell.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

BlackMK4 posted:

Fly n ride.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The 400cc scooters do look really interesting, and yeah they hit everything on my list. I'm even warming up to their style. What about the Yamaha Majesty? My budget is about 3k and it looks like I wouldn't have a problem finding a used Burgman or Majesty 400 in that range.

I don't know anything about the Majesty, my friend with the burgman put something like 70k miles on his in the 3 years he's owned it and all it's needed is regular maintenance.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

builds character posted:

2. Was it riding position or the seat that was uncomfortable?

I want to say it was just the seat, because I had to stop and take breaks after every 45-60 minutes of riding on the Ninja 250 due to major rear end soreness. The only bike I've ever been on was the 250 so that's why I was curious if that's just a notoriously uncomfortable bike or if that's what I can expect from about every other bike in that class / budget range. When I spent a couple hours on a little 50cc scooter, not once did the seat or position ever become uncomfortable.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I want to say it was just the seat, because I had to stop and take breaks after every 45-60 minutes of riding on the Ninja 250 due to major rear end soreness. The only bike I've ever been on was the 250 so that's why I was curious if that's just a notoriously uncomfortable bike or if that's what I can expect from about every other bike in that class / budget range. When I spent a couple hours on a little 50cc scooter, not once did the seat or position ever become uncomfortable.

A lot of bikes have terrible stock seats. The solution is to replace it with an aftermarket seat like a Sargent or Corbin (or put on one of those fruity bead rider covers like some goons here have done :gay: )

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

In your previous post, you said a 150cc scooter wouldn't keep up on the highway; solution is a bigger scooter like 250 or so.

You also said something about looking for a more comfortable sport bike, why not look at standards?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Anyone have recommendations for Disc Locks or other security devices? My neighbor in my apartment complex just got his Honda CRF650 stolen last night. Granted its unlikely they'll steal a GS500, but anything helps.

Right now I have the fork lock on and a cover on the bike. I just want to add a disc lock and that is all I can really do. Thoughts? Also no I don't have the option of chaining a dog to the bike, and no I can't hook a gun to a trip wire.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I bought an SV1000 recently that had sat for awhile. It idles fine and seems to run okay unless I open the throttle too much. It gets worse as it warms up to the point that it won't maintain speed. It misses and backfires when this happens. I drained and replaced the fuel, added injector cleaner, and put new spark plugs in, and its still happening. Any suggestions?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Minkee posted:

Anyone have recommendations for Disc Locks or other security devices? My neighbor in my apartment complex just got his Honda CRF650 stolen last night. Granted its unlikely they'll steal a GS500, but anything helps.

Right now I have the fork lock on and a cover on the bike. I just want to add a disc lock and that is all I can really do. Thoughts? Also no I don't have the option of chaining a dog to the bike, and no I can't hook a gun to a trip wire.

The best thing to have is comprehensive insurance. If somebody really wants your bike, they'll take it no matter what kind of chains/locks you've got on there.

Disk locks are good for deterring joyriders, though. I have a trimax lock, no complaints.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Yeah I have comprehensive with a 250 dollar deductible. I know better than to not have that. I'll look at that trimax lock.

Right now this is my poor mans disc lock

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Minkee posted:

I have an Abus Sledg, it's nice because it's a single unit (though those Trimax ones look to be as well) and it got a high security rating. It's bulky and expensive though. In retrospect I could have gone for a cheaper/worse one because, as said, they'll only deter joyriders anyway, but I think I needed a certain rating for my comprehensive insurance.

Anyway, sucks about your neighbors bike, though it seems dirtbikes invite joyriders, and if you only use them offroad you don't need a plate, which'll make it harder to track down. Both reasons why I'm a bit hesitant to get a supermoto. Of course your GS500 might not be an attractive bike to steal as such, but its parts will be easy to sell; same with civics (and golfs in Europe) being frequent targets of theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Day Man posted:

I bought an SV1000 recently that had sat for awhile. It idles fine and seems to run okay unless I open the throttle too much. It gets worse as it warms up to the point that it won't maintain speed. It misses and backfires when this happens. I drained and replaced the fuel, added injector cleaner, and put new spark plugs in, and its still happening. Any suggestions?

Being temperature related makes me think this is either a coolant temp sensor playing up or an ignition coil loving out when it gets hot (that seems unlikely though). Has it got a PC or some other aftermarket fuckery?