Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acksplode
May 17, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah. You can link your ID whenever you want though. That first update is a doozy.

It's a mystery how Nintendo isn't selling more of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spectacle Rock posted:

So, anyone checked out those Pikmin HD Short Movies? You get 3 of them for $4.99 in the eShop for the Wii U. Imagine if Nintendo tried to make a Pixar CG movie but did it using Pikmin.

I didn't hear any official announcement for it; I went to the eShop and it was featured.

It was announced during the Direct on Wednesday. I bought them. They're cute and pretty funny.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't get paid until Tuesday and I'll prolly end up getting the Mario Kart DLC before I buy Pikmin movies.

I still need to beat Pikmin 3's last boss. I'm basically saving my money for Black Friday deals anyway.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

acksplode posted:

It's a mystery how Nintendo isn't selling more of these

Yeah, everyone buys PS4s and Xbones for their extremely user-friendly interfaces, with no absurdly long mandatory installs. (?????)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, everyone buys PS4s and Xbones for their extremely user-friendly interfaces, with no absurdly long mandatory installs. (?????)

More like design flaws this bad for a piece of consumer electronics rarely come alone. If your onboarding process hasn't considered the path for existing customers who already have an account with you, then perhaps that's a smell which suggests other embarrassments.

And sure enough, the ensuing update process took closer to an hour and half, and the method by which I had to import my existing Mii from my 3DS and make it the "user Mii" and then link it to my Nintendo ID was way more complicated than it had to be. This poo poo makes Sony look like Google.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Its me. Im the idiot nerd who is bad with finances.

I guess its a testament to the Wii U having so many games worth owning after only two years and selling like poo poo.

Fakeedit: poo poo Ninja Gaiden 3 is in there disregard comment!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

acksplode posted:

More like design flaws this bad for a piece of consumer electronics rarely come alone. If your onboarding process hasn't considered the path for existing customers who already have an account with you, then perhaps that's a smell which suggests other embarrassments.

And sure enough, the ensuing update process took closer to an hour and half, and the method by which I had to import my existing Mii from my 3DS and make it the "user Mii" and then link it to my Nintendo ID was way more complicated than it had to be. This poo poo makes Sony look like Google.

Not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like user error here. I had no issues putting my existing Nintendo ID/Mii onto my Wii U and transferring my Wii data. Also both Xbone and Sony had day 1 updates as well. It's more uncommon that anything you do doesn't have a day 1 update at this point.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like user error here. I had no issues putting my existing Nintendo ID/Mii onto my Wii U and transferring my Wii data.
It worked, it was just needlessly complicated. Why in the world am I transferring account state from my 3DS? That should've happened automatically once I linked my Nintendo ID.

quote:

Also both Xbone and Sony had day 1 updates as well. It's more uncommon that anything you do doesn't have a day 1 update at this point.
I unboxed my PS4 not too long ago. It was a much better experience, and the update was much quicker.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

katkillad2 posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like user error here. I had no issues putting my existing Nintendo ID/Mii onto my Wii U and transferring my Wii data. Also both Xbone and Sony had day 1 updates as well. It's more uncommon that anything you do doesn't have a day 1 update at this point.

The instructions are wrong, though. That's the problem. It tells you to log in with your account before starting the update, and then says you can't sign into your account until after the update is complete or something weird like that. I don't know the exact situation, but I had to consult google to figure out how to set up my Wii U the first time because the instructions were blatantly wrong.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

The instructions are wrong, though. That's the problem. It tells you to log in with your account before starting the update, and then says you can't sign into your account until after the update is complete or something weird like that. I don't know the exact situation, but I had to consult google to figure out how to set up my Wii U the first time because the instructions were blatantly wrong.

Yeah, and that's absurd. I mean look at this: http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/142926

quote:

Its June 2014 and this post is still helping people. Thanks! Saved me a ton of frustration.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

I had this problem as well, I love the Wii U but it's pretty dumb that it's still not been fixed.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

acksplode posted:

Yeah, and that's absurd. I mean look at this: http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/142926

Ha ha, I read that same one too when I was setting it up! Oh well, I got through it and managed to get to the games. Then everything was ok :)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fix posted:

No sir, that wouldn't make for a good Pokemon tie-in at all!

Yeah. Or something....

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Nintendo should go full hitler and sell Pokemon amiibo that have random stats

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Trent posted:

Yeah. Or something....

What is that? Some kind of digital pokemon? A hotel room key? Monster Rancher? Dino Club card? An address book for babies? ScrabbleU?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fix posted:

What is that? Some kind of digital pokemon? A hotel room key? Monster Rancher? Dino Club card? An address book for babies? ScrabbleU?

Digimon Tamers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Gutcruncher posted:

I guess its a testament to the Wii U having so many games worth owning after only two years and selling like poo poo.

Fakeedit: poo poo Ninja Gaiden 3 is in there disregard comment!

Zack and Wiki :hfive:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Miiverse is really charming. If anything I love it because it's kinda the return of pictochat.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Gutcruncher posted:

Oh huh, is that how US WiiU box spines look? The European ones are much more blue.

Weird.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Oh huh, is that how US WiiU box spines look? The European ones are much more blue.

Weird.

in the US blue is reserved for blu-ray boxex mainly and white was the box color for the wii so might as well keep it the same for the wii u to confuse people

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Is there any way to order new inserts for cases? Some water spilled on my Bayonetta 2 case.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Water. Right.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

The Flying Milton posted:

Is there any way to order new inserts for cases? Some water spilled on my Bayonetta 2 case.

I'm sure The Cover Project has cover images for download that you can print off. They'll be fine unless your printer sucks.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm sure The Cover Project has cover images for download that you can print off. They'll be fine unless your printer sucks.

They don't have any Wii U covers at the moment.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Man, I wish Nintendo of Europe would print all those cool logos onto the sides of the game cases as well. We just get the game names in plain text. :(

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Those colored triangles on the European cases are a little wacky

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
They supposedly indicate the region this particular copy is intended to be sold in. They've had them since at least the SNES era.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

They supposedly indicate the region this particular copy is intended to be sold in. They've had them since at least the SNES era.

Not "supposedly", they do indicate that. You just made me check my old boxes though, and while the SNES does seem to have them as little lines on the sides of the cover art (thanks for blowing my mind, btw), they disappeared again until the DS/Wii apparently.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Huh, you're right, they don't appear to be on N64 or GB/A boxes. They are on Gamecube ones though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes they do you gotta check the forums.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=15439.0

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Huh, you're right, they don't appear to be on N64 or GB/A boxes. They are on Gamecube ones though.

:doh: I knew I forgot to check something. Anyways, the SNES thing really did blow my mind. I wonder what made them skip the other ones. Most GBA games seem to be Multi-5, but there certainly were regional variants of GB(C) and N64 games.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Does Nintendo still make the motion plus adapters? I already have 4 regular wiimotes and nunchucks so I don't really want the refurbs from nintendo. All I can find is generic motion plus adaptors which I don't really trust.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

ChaosArgate posted:

Look in their forums. That's where I snagged a US Bayonetta 1 custom so I can put it in its own case. I think they have PAL ones available as well.

Edit: i should read the rest of the topic :downs:

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

Pops Mgee posted:

Does Nintendo still make the motion plus adapters? I already have 4 regular wiimotes and nunchucks so I don't really want the refurbs from nintendo. All I can find is generic motion plus adaptors which I don't really trust.

Yeah, you can order them from Nintendo's online store. https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat10020

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

BowieFett posted:

Yeah, you can order them from Nintendo's online store. https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat10020

At that price might as well get the whole controller

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Is the Wii condom not removable from the motion plus remotes? I just ordered a refurb 25$ combo for a wii-u I ebayed so this is my first time touching the motion plus remotes.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I read that Costume Quest 2 couldn't be played on the gamepad, which is lovely but wasn't a deal breaker for me. Apparently it doesn't play sound through the gamepad either... I don't know if those things go hand in hand, but not happy about no sound from the gamepad with or without headphones.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

zolthorg posted:

Is the Wii condom not removable from the motion plus remotes? I just ordered a refurb 25$ combo for a wii-u I ebayed so this is my first time touching the motion plus remotes.

You can pull them off and chuck them out with any of the models.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I apologize if this has been asked before but is there a good video/audio solution for the Wii U for those of us who do not own digital stereo receivers? I'd like to buy a Wii U and have it hooked up to one of the monitors on my computer desk, but there doesn't seem to be a split VGA or DVI/stereo RCA cable like there was for the 360. I usually like to run consoles to my monitor and then have the audio routed through my soundcard so I can be in mumble or w/e and have the game audio attenuated when people speak etc. I don't want to rely solely on TV/Monitor in-built speakers because that's garbage 8(

In my living room I only have an analog stereo receiver so it would be a real shame to have to use the crappy in-built speakers on my Vizio TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Sounds like what you want is a HDMI audio breakout adapter which does exist, or possibly a HDMI to DVI+RCA

• Locked thread