Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Just watched Arlington Road. I really enjoyed the movie but

1. Terrorists group don't commit acts of terror and let them be. They claim responsibility because otherwise it's pointless. Here the terrorist group just gets others to blow poo poo up, but never shares a reason or a manifesto.
2. I feel like they ran out of time and just wrote the ending in a hurry. The mentions of "godless" societies is pretty ridiculous... I don't know, at least throw in abortion or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elendil004 posted:

Olympus Has Fallen ... you could hire an advisor and do a better job

That's valuable cocaine money you're wasting there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's also the WAY TOO loving HEAD STABBY lead.

Seriously, I thought it was going way way way farther than Macgruber with the "Rip your dick off" joke, and THAT was a spoof movie anyway.

Every... single... person this guy talks to he stabs in the head. EVERYONE.

HAS KNIFE, NEEDS TO SHEATHE IT IN SKULL is the only thing on this dude's resume.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really disliked the evil ex-Secret Service agent who betrays his country for vague reasons. Like I'm pretty sure Secret Service agents go through fairly rigorous psychological screening to keep something like that from happening.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The best/worst part of that is the antagonist who, for no goddamn reason at all, whips out two knives to have a knife fight with Gerard Butler.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
This isn't a specific movie, but it seems to apply whenever there's a main or secondary character who has some kind of art-based hobby on the side, or is just said to be 'artistic'. We'll inevitably catch them in the middle of idly sketching a lovely piece of art to show us how very artistic they are! But when we see their paper, the drawing was obviously already done by someone else and the actor is just lightly tracing/'filling out' the same line over and over. They're never actually doing anything to change the piece. I was just reminded of it by Captain America, but I remember something similar in 3:10 to Yuma (the recent one), and others I can't think of.

It's irrational because I know they want to keep the drawing/painting the same for continuity's sake, and I don't expect every actor to actually be a super-good sketch artist or anything. But still. If you're telling me this character is an ~artist~, I want to see them at literally any other point in the process of creating something than just 'tracing the perfectly-finished product'.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked Olympus Has Fallen because it took the stupidity of the plot seriously. Sometimes when things are too self aware it's more annoying; it's like having the movie elbow you in the ribs going "hey, hey, see that joke? we know how to have fun."

Something that isn't really annoying but sort of funny is when there's a translator for a deaf person who's talking for them. When the deaf person becomes emotional the translator does too.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Just got done rewatching Snatch on a long train journey.

There are two underground boxing scenes that the movie is somewhat focused around. In the first fight Brad Pitt's character is meant to take a dive in the 4th but one punch KO's his opponent.

Lots of people bet on the dive, lose money and as a consequence get angry with the antagonist who assures everyone he will fix it.

He does this by organising a second match where Brad Pitt WILL take a dive in the 4th. He tells everyone to make the bet, and points them at the bookies to make said bet.

Literally EVERYONE at this match knows its rigged including the bookies. Surely the odds would have been so astronomically low that putting £10,000 on Brad Pitt to go down in the 4th would have netted you maybe £1 if you were lucky.

What use is rigging a match if you tell EVERYONE that it is rigged including the people taking the bets?! How was this meant to be profitable for anyone?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pilchenstein posted:

Seconding this, White House Down treats the concept properly, which is to say they just have fun with it instead of pulling some Tom Clancy poo poo.

Which one of the two movies was the one that was clearly the Die Hard script with the names crossed out and new ones written in in pencil?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

dpack_1 posted:

Just got done rewatching Snatch on a long train journey.

There are two underground boxing scenes that the movie is somewhat focused around. In the first fight Brad Pitt's character is meant to take a dive in the 4th but one punch KO's his opponent.

Lots of people bet on the dive, lose money and as a consequence get angry with the antagonist who assures everyone he will fix it.

He does this by organising a second match where Brad Pitt WILL take a dive in the 4th. He tells everyone to make the bet, and points them at the bookies to make said bet.

Literally EVERYONE at this match knows its rigged including the bookies. Surely the odds would have been so astronomically low that putting £10,000 on Brad Pitt to go down in the 4th would have netted you maybe £1 if you were lucky.

What use is rigging a match if you tell EVERYONE that it is rigged including the people taking the bets?! How was this meant to be profitable for anyone?

Its never said literally every person knows nor said that the bookies are in on it. Youde never make money if everyone was in on it, he was just setting up a dodgy fighter for his "friends" benefits.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Phanatic posted:

Which one of the two movies was the one that was clearly the Die Hard script with the names crossed out and new ones written in in pencil?
In White House Down the guy fights terrorists in his vest, so there's your answer.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
Re: Olympus has fallen. So you have some NK terrorists in the impenetrable safe room in the white house. They are in the process of making all the nuclear warheads in the US detonate where they are, killing hundreds of millions of people. You know that they are minutes away from cracking the code, and only 1 paper pushing Rambo wannabe is actually in the white house trying to stop it. Acting president should have said, 'I'm sorry Mr. President, but we are going to send a salvo of bunker buster missiles down the elevator shaft.'

I mean, if that scenario played out in real life, can you imagine Boehner deciding to risk the millions of American lives on possibly saving the president?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
It's like it's a movie or something.

Cattiness aside, I can understand not liking something because of how stupid the plot is; how you probably feel about Olympus Has Fallen, I feel about Lucy.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Look, some movies are made to make you think, alright? Lucy was made to make you consider some important questions, like "Why did I spend money to see this piece of poo poo?" and "Why didn't I save nine bucks by staying home and doing something more enjoyable, like stepping on a LEGO with bare feet?"

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Why didn't I save nine bucks by staying home and doing something more enjoyable, like stepping on a LEGO with bare feet?"

That bad, huh?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Taeke posted:

That bad, huh?

Morgan Freeman reads the plot aloud while Scarlett Johanson attempts to act it out. Includes a French guy and a Korean guy and Morgan Freeman.

4/5

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Parasol Prophet posted:

This isn't a specific movie, but it seems to apply whenever there's a main or secondary character who has some kind of art-based hobby on the side, or is just said to be 'artistic'. We'll inevitably catch them in the middle of idly sketching a lovely piece of art to show us how very artistic they are! But when we see their paper, the drawing was obviously already done by someone else and the actor is just lightly tracing/'filling out' the same line over and over. They're never actually doing anything to change the piece. I was just reminded of it by Captain America, but I remember something similar in 3:10 to Yuma (the recent one), and others I can't think of.

It's irrational because I know they want to keep the drawing/painting the same for continuity's sake, and I don't expect every actor to actually be a super-good sketch artist or anything. But still. If you're telling me this character is an ~artist~, I want to see them at literally any other point in the process of creating something than just 'tracing the perfectly-finished product'.

I think only Titanic does it right, to my recollection, and it's actually Cameron doing the sketching in that scene

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ducttape posted:

Re: Olympus has fallen. So you have some NK terrorists in the impenetrable safe room in the white house. They are in the process of making all the nuclear warheads in the US detonate where they are, killing hundreds of millions of people. You know that they are minutes away from cracking the code, and only 1 paper pushing Rambo wannabe is actually in the white house trying to stop it. Acting president should have said, 'I'm sorry Mr. President, but we are going to send a salvo of bunker buster missiles down the elevator shaft.'

I mean, if that scenario played out in real life, can you imagine Boehner deciding to risk the millions of American lives on possibly saving the president?

In the amazingly terrible Air Force One, the entire plot of the terrorists revolves around their belief that the Russian President will just do whatever the American President asks of him... and they're right! He calls up the Russian President and says,"Hey release this terrorist leader who is apparently in a prison far harder to break into than Air Force One", and the Russian President says,"Well this will cost me my office and lead to the deaths of hundreds or thousands of my countrymen... but okay!"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Parasol Prophet posted:

For the new Mike Leigh movie Mr Turner, Timothy Spall spent 2 years learning how to paint so he could imitate JMW Turner at work on a canvas. Movie's pretty meh though

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Saw the new Dracula film, and while this isnt specific to that it is in there and reminded me of how it happens in many movies:

About to have a fight: clench a fist so hard your knuckles crack!

Im sure this started with people wearing leather gloves and the creaking that would occur if you clenched a fist while wearing them, but it has escalated to cracking knuckles and its loving ridiculous. Unless you are suffering accute arthritis then that simply wont happen.

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

dpack_1 posted:

Saw the new Dracula film, and while this isnt specific to that it is in there and reminded me of how it happens in many movies:

Im sure this started with people wearing leather gloves and the creaking that would occur if you clenched a fist while wearing them, but it has escalated to cracking knuckles and its loving ridiculous. Unless you are suffering accute arthritis then that simply wont happen.

I crack my knuckles and can do this. It's just a couple of pops though, not LOUD-rear end MANLY BONE GRINDING ACTION.
Still kind of a dumb trope though.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Sundayturks posted:

I crack my knuckles and can do this. It's just a couple of pops though, not LOUD-rear end MANLY BONE GRINDING ACTION.
Still kind of a dumb trope though.
I quite like the one where tough guys crack their neck from side to side before a fight. I get headaches that go away if I do that and it's way harder to do than just moving your head left and right - I end up looking like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Pilchenstein posted:

I end up looking like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon.

Unable to move from sitting on a toilet for 12 hours?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

I quite like the one where tough guys crack their neck from side to side before a fight. I get headaches that go away if I do that and it's way harder to do than just moving your head left and right - I end up looking like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon.

Actually it's really easy to crack your neck that way? I literally just did it. I do it frequently.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've always wanted to see a scene where the big tough guy cracks his neck from side to side, but then it immediately cuts to him in a chiropracter's office :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Ignite Memories posted:

Actually it's really easy to crack your neck that way? I literally just did it. I do it frequently.
Most of the time I have to roll my head back and forth and/or pull my chin in the opposite direction. I have no idea which of us is going to be more crippled in old age though.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
In movies where a character goes off to college and their freshman professor is tough and strict to introduce them to the real world. I don't know about most people but most of my freshman professor didn't really give a gently caress.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Waterworld bothers me. In order to cover the surface of the earth in that much water, you would need to triple the combined volume of water in the ground, on the surface already, or in the atmosphere of the entire planet.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jaramin posted:

Waterworld bothers me. In order to cover the surface of the earth in that much water, you would need to triple the combined volume of water in the ground, on the surface already, or in the atmosphere of the entire planet.

Also that the mariner was essentially a psycho who casually killed hundreds of slaves to free a couple of people.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Jaramin posted:

What if it just rained a lot?

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

poonchasta posted:

What if it just rained a lot?

Ice meteors man

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

This isn't a movie, but something I notice in a lot of TV shows(and probably a bunch of movies I can't think of.) Anyway, I love the TV show Chuck, as well as the show Castle. Both have females in strong, rear end-kicking, co-leading roles. In Chuck, she's a spy, in Castle a homicide detective. They frequently get into gunfights, have to chase people, get into full contact melee, etc. And they always wear the most goddamn impractical shoes! Gonna sneak into an enemy base? 4 inch thigh high stiletto heel boots are the ticket! Taking a SWAT team to investigate a warehouse thought to hold murdering terrorists? Accessorize your bust with clunky, high heeled shoes! It's gotten to the point that I just laugh about it now. I introduced my girlfriend to Chuck, and by halfway through the first season, she kept saying "Why does she keep wearing those shoes?" Just put on some drat combat boots!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I get the exact same way about superhero comics/movies 10 Beers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gaunab posted:

In movies where a character goes off to college and their freshman professor is tough and strict to introduce them to the real world. I don't know about most people but most of my freshman professor didn't really give a gently caress.

It's always the "look to your left, look to your right. By the end of my course 2 of you will have failed/dropped out/whatever" speech too. There are some professors who really do that, but it's pretty cliche and hardly ever actually true if it's a first year course.

On a similar movie note, it always irritates me when there is a highschool/college party. It's always some huge event with hundreds of people and live music and alcohol that never runs out. Maybe I missed out on these parties when I went to school, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of them are nothing like that. Also the "everyone is a professional dancer doing perfectly choreographed moves" thing that not another teen movie made fun of.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

dpack_1 posted:

Pilchenstein posted:

Some people's joints crack much more easily than others, and having joints that crack easily doesn't mean you have arthritis.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I've always wanted to see a scene where the big tough guy cracks his neck from side to side, but then it immediately cuts to him in a chiropracter's office :v:
Cracking your joints doesn't do you any harm.

Murphy Brownback posted:

On a similar movie note, it always irritates me when there is a highschool/college party. It's always some huge event with hundreds of people and live music and alcohol that never runs out. Maybe I missed out on these parties when I went to school, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of them are nothing like that. Also the "everyone is a professional dancer doing perfectly choreographed moves" thing that not another teen movie made fun of.
What's really weird about that is that everyone knows it's ridiculous. Pretty much everyone involved in making the film and most of the audience have been in highschool, and know it wasn't like that. :shrug:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Tiggum posted:

That's part of the joke, yes.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I've definitely been to a university party or two that were like that. The one had 5 kegs going at any one time!
Sorry, just had to interject after reading that.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's always the "look to your left, look to your right. By the end of my course 2 of you will have failed/dropped out/whatever" speech too. There are some professors who really do that, but it's pretty cliche and hardly ever actually true if it's a first year course.
I liked the Futurama gag with that. "Look to your left, and then to your right, and then in nine other directions. One of the twelve of you will not pass this course."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
True story: I showed up to my first college party with nothing to drink, expecting everything to just be provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

No, but you can mess yourself up by doing stupid things with your neck. A friend of mine was on hold to Telstra for something like seven hours, and spent some of it with the phone pinned against his head by his shoulder, and afterwards he couldn't straighten his neck for a week :v: