Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

bubblelubble posted:

People keep carrying on about how badass Ophelia is, so I went to go invite her to come with but she wasn't available yet - when does that happen? Maybe at a specific level or something?

Postgame, and you might need to have mastered a few lives. She might also be DLC-restricted. You get a letter from Gladstone and then Ophelia makes herself available as an ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I'm getting to Hero rank on Carpenter and Blacksmith, just so I can get the bonuses from the special outfits to make better stuff. 67 hours in. This game is a vortex. :(

EDIT: To be less Fantasy Life-journal, here's what all the appliques for Tailoring do.

Stolen from reddit posted:

Apple Appliqué = Luc +1
Fairy Appliqué = Int +1
Shield Appliqué = Vit +1
Pirate Appliqué = Dex +1
Dragon Appliqué = Str +1
Hero Appliqué = Focus + 1
Royal Appliqué = HP +10
Princess Appliqué = SP recovery +
Divinus Applique = +1 God time

Since I couldn't find any comprehensive posts about applique effects in this thread.

How Ingratiating! fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 8, 2014

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

How Ingratiating! posted:

I'm getting to Hero rank on Carpenter and Blacksmith, just so I can get the bonuses from the special outfits to make better stuff. 67 hours in. This game is a vortex. :(

EDIT: To be less Fantasy Life-journal, here's what all the appliques for Tailoring do.

Since I couldn't find any comprehensive posts about applique effects in this thread.

oh god i've been wanting to know what appliques do, it sucks so hard that you can't check this ingame

e. what the hell is god time

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

God Time is what you activate in certain Lifes once you reach God rank and fill up your special gauge twice.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I can apparently level up to 200 now yet I'm level 66 and done with the dlc story (as far as I know?)

How are you supposed to level up that much anyway? From a first glance it seems like it would take forever.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I can apparently level up to 200 now yet I'm level 66 and done with the dlc story (as far as I know?)

How are you supposed to level up that much anyway? From a first glance it seems like it would take forever.

You're bound to pick up a bunch of experience just from crafting/gathering/hunting if you plan on becoming a God/Creator of everything. I reached the 80s by the time I got to Legend with every life, and the 90s with Creator. Ancient Tower Trials also have a ridiculously high difficulty spike (I assume it's meant to be played multiplayer) and the mobs and bosses in there give fairly high experience if you can survive in there.

On a side-note, I might have spoken too soon about saying none of the Masters were as good as Ophelia. I'm slowly working my way through trying out the masters since Noelia doesn't last long in the Tower. After trying out the Hunter master and Wizard cat master, they basically attack fast enough or have massive aoe's that they're pretty comparable. Fern is useful since her attacks have a tendency to stun-lock bosses since she basically spams arrows all the time, and her arrows apply the stun debuff as well. Jinx I've seen use mostly huge Fire fields or Light fields which also have a tendency to interrupt and stun bosses, and occasionally she nukes the field with a comet dealing huge damage. The Cooking Master can apply every buff as well as occasionally healing.

Corridor posted:

oh god i've been wanting to know what appliques do, it sucks so hard that you can't check this ingame

e. what the hell is god time
It's basically a minute of a super-buff depending what class you are. Paladins become invincible, Mercenary gets double damage I think, Hunters get 100% Crit rate, Wizards get infinite SP and deal more damage I think, and the Gatherers will always hit the sweet spot. The crafters just instantly finish whatever they're crafting when go into God-time. I'm only not sure about fishing, mostly because I stopped fishing.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 8, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I was trying to cut down the Sinister Tree and couldn't even though I'm a Master Woodcutter with a Marine Axe. I dumped 5 more points into Strength and still did 0 damage per swing :( Apparently this is because I didn't understand the formula.

As I've now read, the formula for Chopping Good, not counting your rank and your equipment, is:

code:
Str + 0.5 * (Vit + Dex)
So I guess I need more Vit and/or more Dex? I've mostly kept my stats even for most of my game (I'm around level 40) but recently have pumped a bunch into Strength and almost as much into Luck.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Are you currently a woodcutter? I've noticed that for boss resource nodes it tends to matter a great deal whether it's your current spec or not.

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007

Jsor posted:

Are you currently a woodcutter? I've noticed that for boss resource nodes it tends to matter a great deal whether it's your current spec or not.

And make sure you're circling around the tree to find its weak spot. The chopping sound will be different, and you'll do a bit more damage. If you keep circling around you'll build your special gauge, use it on a weak point. Oh, and don't tap A a quickly as possible. There's a rhythm where if you wait right until the animation brings the Axe back to your characters shoulder, hit A right when that happens and they'll take a visibly big swing.

It's also true that if you break combat with the tree, the high level boss trees will regen life. Have your highest SP pot in your quick menu so you can break combat real fast, drink, then back to cutting. You'll restore more SP than they'll regain HP. Good luck!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

TheRevolution1 posted:

Sorry man. Don't have my laptop right now so I can't take images from the SD card and I can't tell the image looks giant from the awful app.

Try this. It's great. Make an account on your computer and log into it from your 3DS web browser. You can upload images directly from there.

Then you can grab your image by logging into your account on whatever device and doing the ol' copy-paste.

You can even make different folders for different games. I have over 300 images from Animal Crossing in mine. It's great.

How Ingratiating! posted:

Thank you for this! This is amazing and timely. I just got the ability to put Appliqués on last night, and I was shocked that the game doesn't tell you what the effect is before you make it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

guppy posted:

I was trying to cut down the Sinister Tree and couldn't even though I'm a Master Woodcutter with a Marine Axe. I dumped 5 more points into Strength and still did 0 damage per swing :( Apparently this is because I didn't understand the formula.

As I've now read, the formula for Chopping Good, not counting your rank and your equipment, is:

code:
Str + 0.5 * (Vit + Dex)
So I guess I need more Vit and/or more Dex? I've mostly kept my stats even for most of my game (I'm around level 40) but recently have pumped a bunch into Strength and almost as much into Luck.

You only need more vit and dex if you've capped strength. Each point of strength is one point of Woodcutting power, where vit and dex are a half point each. Master quests are the time when you start needed either great quality crafted equipment or a decent investment in the primary stat to keep up with the power level of the boss nodes.

Keeping stats even is the WORST idea, because it means every job will have 2 stats that do nothing for them, and 2 that only work half as well. Strength is the most universally useful stat given that it boosts every weapon type except magic (full effect for swords/greatswords, half effect for bows and daggers), is primary for mining and woodcutting, and secondary for blacksmithing and carpentry. Either dump into luck to help with rare drops and crafting quality items, or pump strength so you can actually gather and fight stuff.

If you've finished the main story, scoot down to the Al Maajik library and talk to the big scary book at night to reset your stats for 30k dosh.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You only need more vit and dex if you've capped strength. Each point of strength is one point of Woodcutting power, where vit and dex are a half point each. Master quests are the time when you start needed either great quality crafted equipment or a decent investment in the primary stat to keep up with the power level of the boss nodes.

Keeping stats even is the WORST idea, because it means every job will have 2 stats that do nothing for them, and 2 that only work half as well. Strength is the most universally useful stat given that it boosts every weapon type except magic (full effect for swords/greatswords, half effect for bows and daggers), is primary for mining and woodcutting, and secondary for blacksmithing and carpentry. Either dump into luck to help with rare drops and crafting quality items, or pump strength so you can actually gather and fight stuff.

If you've finished the main story, scoot down to the Al Maajik library and talk to the big scary book at night to reset your stats for 30k dosh.

Oh yeah, I'm dumb, that is a fairly obvious conclusion from the formula. More strength and probably better equipment. I am just not used to being utterly unable to damage stuff that I "should" be able to, and while I didn't have a Goddess Axe -- lacking materials -- I thought the Marine Axe would be pretty all right. Guess not!

Jsor posted:

sondogg posted:

And make sure you're circling around the tree to find its weak spot. The chopping sound will be different, and you'll do a bit more damage. If you keep circling around you'll build your special gauge, use it on a weak point. Oh, and don't tap A a quickly as possible. There's a rhythm where if you wait right until the animation brings the Axe back to your characters shoulder, hit A right when that happens and they'll take a visibly big swing.

It's also true that if you break combat with the tree, the high level boss trees will regen life. Have your highest SP pot in your quick menu so you can break combat real fast, drink, then back to cutting. You'll restore more SP than they'll regain HP. Good luck!

Yeah, I was actually a Woodcutter. The rest I know, but thank you!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sondogg posted:

Oh, and don't tap A a quickly as possible. There's a rhythm where if you wait right until the animation brings the Axe back to your characters shoulder, hit A right when that happens and they'll take a visibly big swing.

Are you sure this is true? When I chop/mine I don't try for any kind of rhythm at all, I was under the impression those big swings (which I get often) are "critical hits" and are just influenced by Luck.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

precision posted:

Are you sure this is true? When I chop/mine I don't try for any kind of rhythm at all, I was under the impression those big swings (which I get often) are "critical hits" and are just influenced by Luck.

no, it's definitely a timing thing. i got them all the time even before i started dumping points into luck.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Inflammatory posted:

no, it's definitely a timing thing. i got them all the time even before i started dumping points into luck.

I concur. It's definitely a timing thing, it's pretty useful when you're mining/cutting big things with weak points.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

You pick up on it after a while. It isn't entirely obvious, but timing the presses so they happen after your character does a rest animation will cause them to do a bigger swing, and do more damage.

It's also a bit more efficient, the big swing does double damage for 3 sp, as opposed to about 2 sp for the normal.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/971712-fantasy-life/70456772

This link gives you a list of all the additional items that you can add while crafting as well as the appliques! It's ridiculous that it doesn't tell you this in game, particularly for the things like scales and fish fins which give you no clues.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
What's the best way to raise friendship with NPCs, and how much do I need to raise friendship for them to become stronger?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just run around with them constantly and collect a lot of bounties. Technically they have preferences for certain classes, such as the royal family preferring paladins, Odin and Olivia preferring mercenaries, etc. but you'll end up having to play as a crafting class for a good chunk of them, which is not entirely ideal unless you're running through easy areas. I haven't really noticed the benefits of friendship honestly, though supposedly it makes them use their special attacks more often. Their stats are always scaled to your level (and might be capped at lvl 100).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of NPCs, I wish you could check what spells they cast. It's obvious which ones kick rear end just by looking at their Attack stat, but the others, not so much. Here's what I've figured though:

Chic (androgynous Tailor in Castele): Heals, casts three-pronged ice(?) spell
Mediga (or something) (Miner girl with red hair): Attack Up buff

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Becklespinax posted:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/971712-fantasy-life/70456772

This link gives you a list of all the additional items that you can add while crafting as well as the appliques! It's ridiculous that it doesn't tell you this in game, particularly for the things like scales and fish fins which give you no clues.

Is there a list of what seasonings pair with what culinary dishes?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Is there a list of what seasonings pair with what culinary dishes?

The Japanese wiki has it here and for the DLC recipes here. Google translating makes it pretty clear.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really wish the clothing you can make as a Tailor was actually like... good. Every Life can wear Blacksmith stuff that's always got way higher Defense (like Shell Armor) that you can make really early. I just got access to a bunch of the Desert themed clothing and it all looks really cute but is strictly worse. I've taken to just running around in suboptimal stuff unless I'm fighting something that actually poses a significant threat.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

precision posted:

I really wish the clothing you can make as a Tailor was actually like... good. Every Life can wear Blacksmith stuff that's always got way higher Defense (like Shell Armor) that you can make really early. I just got access to a bunch of the Desert themed clothing and it all looks really cute but is strictly worse. I've taken to just running around in suboptimal stuff unless I'm fighting something that actually poses a significant threat.

Yep, it would have been nice to have cosmetic slots so you can wear your armor but also the tons of clothes you make which you will probably never use except for requests.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

precision posted:

To be fair, the most important thing that clothing provides is stat boosts, rather than raw defense (except for the super-endgame I guess?), and Tailoring has one of the very few ways to actually add a stat boost to clothing via appliques.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm kinda let down by how easy the DIVINE DRAGON was. I hit it for like, 30 damage and was like "yeah I can do this."

Cut to 5 minutes later and it's dead and as I left a hot spring jelly stun locked me as I tried to run by and blew it up :downs: Made sure to clear them out the second time.

I don't think I like that about Origin Island, it seems that if a monster notices you it will NEVER lose aggro and will attack in your direction even if you're clear on the other side of the map. I've gone to extreme lengths and on the way back get pegged by a centaur thing that I couldn't see that should of left me alone a long time ago. It's how the Hot Spring Jelly got me too, after the fight I had forgotten about them and was running back and it was off screen and just a wave of black splotches just beat me up.

Edit: For the record I'm sure the Ancient Napdragon will stomp my face in. Also little bummed that I made this high level leather armor as a creator-in training and it's still nowhere near as good as the holy armor I made awhile ago.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't think I like that about Origin Island, it seems that if a monster notices you it will NEVER lose aggro and will attack in your direction even if you're clear on the other side of the map. I've gone to extreme lengths and on the way back get pegged by a centaur thing that I couldn't see that should of left me alone a long time ago. It's how the Hot Spring Jelly got me too, after the fight I had forgotten about them and was running back and it was off screen and just a wave of black splotches just beat me up.

Edit: For the record I'm sure the Ancient Napdragon will stomp my face in. Also little bummed that I made this high level leather armor as a creator-in training and it's still nowhere near as good as the holy armor I made awhile ago.

Ancient Napdragon will eat you like you're a yummy candy. I skipped on up there and the (hilariously goofy-looking) beast killed my Level 91 Paldin with one bite. That's ~700 health gone in an instant :( I decided to go back later on.

What really bugs me about Origin Island is the Ancient Tower and the number of monsters/bounty drops/bounty clerks. The ratio is all out of whack. It's too tedious and dispiriting, trying to get a bounty past fifty bastardly hard monsters over 3 levels to get to a clerk to cash it in. Plus, if you start fighting and win, then the new monster bounty cancels out one of the old ones.

A 3-bounty limit sucks. As does the fact every single monster in the tower immediately attempts to chow down on your hard earned prize.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

precision posted:

The best armor in the game arguably comes from Tailoring. It's just that you can't make it until God level, and only female characters can wear it.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
^ On a similar note, do Good/Great/etc. Quality weapons from Carpentry inflict more damage or anything? I haven't gotten around to trying it out but I want to level my little level 60 archer up as a carpenter to make some badass bows - which is kinda useless if the quality has no effect.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

bubblelubble posted:

^ On a similar note, do Good/Great/etc. Quality weapons from Carpentry inflict more damage or anything? I haven't gotten around to trying it out but I want to level my little level 60 archer up as a carpenter to make some badass bows - which is kinda useless if the quality has no effect.

Quality effects the stats of weapons yeah :psyduck:

Like a plain lovely bow has a pretty drastic jump when it's a top quality plain lovely bow.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Irisi posted:

Ancient Napdragon will eat you like you're a yummy candy. I skipped on up there and the (hilariously goofy-looking) beast killed my Level 91 Paldin with one bite. That's ~700 health gone in an instant :( I decided to go back later on.

What really bugs me about Origin Island is the Ancient Tower and the number of monsters/bounty drops/bounty clerks. The ratio is all out of whack. It's too tedious and dispiriting, trying to get a bounty past fifty bastardly hard monsters over 3 levels to get to a clerk to cash it in. Plus, if you start fighting and win, then the new monster bounty cancels out one of the old ones.

A 3-bounty limit sucks. As does the fact every single monster in the tower immediately attempts to chow down on your hard earned prize.

Juggling bounties is the worst, especially when certain floors have multiple bosses and you haven't cashed in your current bounties yet. Looking at you, Trial of Light with your 3 boss floors. I haven't tried it yet, but I assume you can go down floors to cash in bounties instead of continually moving upward, the main problem being all the trash and silver bosses respawn, and they're a pain to fight or avoid. Otherwise, it's just knowing which bounties you should destroy, since a good chunk of tower bosses are already on Origin Island, and it's better to prioritize the Tower-only bosses. That or have friends to play it with I assume.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I just mastered for the first time, woodcutter. Holy cow that song was awesome.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Barnyard Protein posted:

I just mastered for the first time, woodcutter. Holy cow that song was awesome.

Sadly only Merc and Miner come close to it. Low point being Carpenter and Sewing (although expected on that last one)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Miner is the best song. "gently caress off I'm mining rocks!! Nope, don't care, gonna mine some fuckin rocks and rap about it. Eat poo poo, non-miners. Mining oooooowns"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I keep hearing about these songs and the fact that they exist at all is probably gonna be enough for me. I'm not expecting anything great from them, it's just amazing that such a thing is even in the game at all.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I keep hearing about these songs and the fact that they exist at all is probably gonna be enough for me. I'm not expecting anything great from them, it's just amazing that such a thing is even in the game at all.

There's a book in the Al-Majiika Library that justifies their existence in game, too.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I forgot to mention it, but God-time has its own music whenever you activate it. I love the fact that it overrides all other music including boss music. Also finally tried out all the Masters as allies. For the most part, the combat masters are the useful ones which is to be expected, though Flamel and Woody are entertaining.

Mustang (paladin) - He's basically a tank and his stats reflect that, but his attacks aren't bad. He has pretty good reach due to being a big NPC, buffs attack, and he throws his mustache as a boomerang, proving why he is the captain of the Paladins.

Cervantes (mercenary) - His sword has ridiculously high range and he buffs defense. Otherwise, he's fairly typical.

Jinx (wizard) - I've mentioned it already in an earlier post, but for a cat, she has ridiculous AOE spells, and occasionally dropping a shooting star that hits for a lot of damage. Since she uses both fire and light, she doesn't run into the problem of enemies being resistant to her attacks. She also buffs magic if I recall correctly. It's a tie between her or Celestia for who I would use as a caster.

Fern (hunter) - Probably the best master and ally in general, she just spams arrows endlessly, and they're either piercing or the multi-arrow shots so she hits multiple enemies all the time. She also applies the stun effect which is pretty drat useful in slowing down or interrupting certain bosses, and her attacks in general tend to stunlock enemies which is drat useful if you or your caster is charging up an attack. She might apply a buff too, but I haven't noticed since I tend to chug Angelic Remedies which shares the same icon for that buff.

Duglas (miner), Heyho (woodcutter), and Fisherman Sage (angler) - they're all pretty generic, the only thing remarkable is their high stats. They all attack fairly slowly too.

Vulcan (blacksmith) - He's also pretty generic with decent tank stats, but he smashes things with his hammer as you'd expect. Also buffs attack.

Woody (carpenter) - Also uses a hammer, but throws them instead. Entertaining to watch him spaz out and throw a lot of hammers though. Also buffs defense.

Madam Purl (tailor) - She is the worst in that she barely does anything at all. She occasionally throws her needle which has a stun effect, and once in every while does an iai slash with her needle. She also buffs magic defense, but only if you're in close proximity to her, so basically useless.

Alfredo (cook) - He does every buff, and occasionally puts down a healing field. Also every now and then, he starts cooking something which causes an explosion.

Flamel (alchemist) - You can probably guess, but basically all bombs, all the time. I'd probably use him more if his bombs did more damage, but otherwise he's there for fun.

Also should mention Celestia since I mentioned her earlier, she's basically a combination of Yuelia and Noelia, using all their attacks and heals, only with substantially higher stats.

Fern and Celestia is probably my favorite team to use at the moment, as tempting as it is to go with Team Mom of Ophelia and Celestia. Ophelia's main problem is that she doesn't last very long in the tower anyways, because despite having a defense of 500, tower mobs and bosses eat through her HP quickly if she's tanking so she ends up knocked out a lot. Fern tends not to die as often since she sticks around in the back, and only dies once she gets targeted, and even then, she delays it by stunlocking them a good chunk of the time. Still, Ophelia does still have the highest attack in the game so she's still a worthwhile ally. Fern probably outdamages her though since she fires a lot of arrows which add up.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Allarion posted:

Fern and Celestia is probably my favorite team to use at the moment, as tempting as it is to go with Team Mom of Ophelia and Celestia.

Team Mom :3:. That's too cute. (Kind of like this game, actually)

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Tried the Millennial Tree and did about 3ish or so damage and 10 on the sweetspot but it ended in a stalemate. So I crafted a new axe and gained a few levels and did 380-400 damage from each normal swing (not even on the sweetspot) and finished it off with a timed swing for over 1000 damage. That poor loving tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just bought this and I'm confused about the Origin Island DLC. The OP says it's post-game stuff, but I've read else where it comes with some stuff that makes the game better from the beginning. Should I buy it from the onset?

• Locked thread