Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It's Paris, man. PARIS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's the city of lights. Volumetric lighting that is...

Orv
May 4, 2011

ethanol posted:

it's not a good excuse I will make fun of you endlessly for buying a vid card based on an AC game

don't listen to me, follow your dreams

Well he's not going to upgrade it for Excel now is he.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GhostDog posted:

It's really the first time I bothered to look at system requirements in a while, so I was a bit shocked there.

And to be honest I've been eyeing a 970 to replace my 670 anyway, I just need a good excuse :)

The 970 is fantastic, buy one. You can even get this or Far Cry 4 with it with a voucher.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, I was about to say you can get Unity for free if you upgrade to 900-somethings, regardless of the reason you justify upgrading for

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Someone is streaming the game. Not sure how long it's gonna last:

http://www.twitch.tv/nukemdukem

Orv
May 4, 2011

Minsky posted:

Someone is streaming the game. Not sure how long it's gonna last:

http://www.twitch.tv/nukemdukem

Apparently it's on Ubisoft's blessing/behalf, open world content only.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Ubisoft must have whole countries of sweatshops creating art assets.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

GhostDog posted:

They've had 10 teams working on this, so yeah.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

GhostDog posted:

Watch the credits instead of going to watch a movie next time you beat an AC game. It's seriously like a thousand people, half or more on art assets.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Watch the credits instead of going to watch a movie next time you beat an AC game. It's seriously like a thousand people, half or more on art assets.

It gets longer every game and I can't not watch it because they may stick a little event in them at the end :(

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
God I hope Napoleon is not a "bad guy" in this game who you are forced by the story to oppose. I loving love Napoleon and the last thing I want to do is mess with his rise to power due to some Templar/Assassin nonsense. Come to think of it do we really know what years the game is covering. Does it even extend to the 18th Brumaire?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
There have been full gameplay videos of both Rogue and Unity getting posted on Youtube left and right the last couple of days, if anyone wants to see either game in action.

None of the big sites have posted reviews of either game yet, but TheGamesCabin gets the first Unity review out of the gate, giving it an 8.8/10.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

macnbc posted:

None of the big sites have posted reviews of either game yet, but TheGamesCabin gets the first Unity review out of the gate, giving it an 8.8/10.

Yeah.....

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/assassins-creed-iii

I think i'll maybe give it a month.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I read the top game journalism websites to justify my purchases.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Reset Smith posted:

God I hope Napoleon is not a "bad guy" in this game who you are forced by the story to oppose. I loving love Napoleon and the last thing I want to do is mess with his rise to power due to some Templar/Assassin nonsense. Come to think of it do we really know what years the game is covering. Does it even extend to the 18th Brumaire?

Speaking of which, now is a perfect time to read The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Napoleon if you like reading about the actual history of the events when you play AC games.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Speaking of which, now is a perfect time to read The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Napoleon if you like reading about the actual history of the events when you play AC games.

Well that work is actually about Napoleon's nephew and his coup in the 1850's. Napoleon's extended family are incredibly fascinating and dramatic and I think they could well figure into some AC5 expansion at some point.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Reset Smith posted:

Well that work is actually about Napoleon's nephew and his coup in the 1850's. Napoleon's extended family are incredibly fascinating and dramatic and I think they could well figure into some AC5 expansion at some point.

It's been a while since I read it, but isn't it about both?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Reset Smith posted:

Yeah, I'd like to see Arno in the Napoleonic wars and 1832 rebellions and hell even 1848 revolution.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I watched a YouTube from that NukemDukem guy and he went through one of those time rifts and had to collect data in La Belle Époque so I imagine they pretty much have given themselves free rein in what they'd like to depict

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 10, 2014

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but isn't it about both?

Now, I'll admit I have haven't actually read it, but as I understand it, it's about Marx analyzing Napoleon III's recent coup and comparing it very unfavorably with the original 18th Brumaire of his more illustrious uncle. The key line being "History repeats itself, first as Tragedy, then as Farce."

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Yeah.....

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/assassins-creed-iii

I think i'll maybe give it a month.

Which blows my mind because while I didn't hate AC3 it certainly wasn't as good as ACIV, which has an identical metacritic rating.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
4 was fun and certainly makes a great first impression, but the ship combat is really shallow and after that lost it's appeal there wasn't a story to keep me going and no cool city to go sightseeing either. For me it ended up being one of those games that went from great to okay. 3 was just such a slog I didn't even make it to New York.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

Which blows my mind because while I didn't hate AC3 it certainly wasn't as good as ACIV, which has an identical metacritic rating.

The secret is Ubisoft paid the same amount of money to reviewers for both games :ssh:

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Full play through of AC:Rogue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oAUnDHGnCk

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I watched a YouTube from that NukemDukem guy and he went through one of those time rifts and had to collect data in

Hey, could you spoiler that, please?
Some of us are trying to avoid story details that aren't in the trailers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

macnbc posted:

There have been full gameplay videos of both Rogue and Unity getting posted on Youtube left and right the last couple of days, if anyone wants to see either game in action.

disclaimer that this is barely a "review" and basically gives zero details of the game, sounds like it was cobbled together based on preview streams the guy saw

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean Assassin's Creed in general follows a development and gameplay structure that's so rigid and safe that it's hard to believe Unity will receive a significantly different critical reaction than every other game in the series.

Here's my fake review: "Fans of the series will probably like it, it fixes some issues from the last game but introduces a bunch of new ones on top. Story is messy and convoluted, but they nailed the atmosphere and Paris looks very impressive. Overall, AC: Unity is solid and well-made, but won't convert people who have grown tired of the formula. 8/10". Bank on it.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 9, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

AC3's review are odd in that very few of them were positive if you read the reviews. A lot of "I didn't really have fun playing this glitchy unfocused mess, but there's so much stuff here! 8/10" style judgements.

The most accurate review, for me, came from Kirk Hamilton over at Kotaku. This laid out why I was so puzzled by Assassins Creed 3 and why I wasn't enjoying it. http://kotaku.com/5958941/how-has-assassins-creed-iii-disappointed-me-let-me-count-the-ways

That's a solid loving review.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

looks incredibly easy, even for ac

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
what the tits there are laser swords in this game

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

what the tits there are laser swords in this game

Esplain Lucy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Narcissus1916 posted:

AC3's review are odd in that very few of them were positive if you read the reviews. A lot of "I didn't really have fun playing this glitchy unfocused mess, but there's so much stuff here! 8/10" style judgements.

The most accurate review, for me, came from Kirk Hamilton over at Kotaku. This laid out why I was so puzzled by Assassins Creed 3 and why I wasn't enjoying it. http://kotaku.com/5958941/how-has-assassins-creed-iii-disappointed-me-let-me-count-the-ways

That's a solid loving review.

from: http://gameological.com/2012/11/review-assassins-creed-iii/

quote:

Here’s pretty much all you need to know about the first day you might spend playing Creed III: The 17th mission you undertake is called “Training Begins.”

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wish at the beginning of any long, nearly identical series of games like this, there was an option to just opt out of all the tutorial stuff, or at least only have tutorials for stuff that is new to that specific game.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hakkesshu posted:

Here's my fake review: "Fans of the series will probably like it, it fixes some issues from the last game but introduces a bunch of new ones on top. Story is messy and convoluted, but they nailed the atmosphere and Paris looks very impressive. Overall, AC: Unity is solid and well-made, but won't convert people who have grown tired of the formula. 8/10". Bank on it.

Added to OP. :D

macnbc fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 10, 2014

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Thanks to Target's B2G1 deal I'm thinking of getting this game again. I am The Problem. At least if it sucks I'll have Mordor and Diablo 3 to fall back on, I guess.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Hakkesshu posted:

This is definitely how I think Unity and Rogue are gonna pan out for sure. And I am still gonna play and enjoy them because I am one of those fans. I am the problem with video games.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Some updates for anyone who's preordered Unity:

PS4 preload should be available now for anyone who's preordered from PSN.
Steam and uPlay are rumored to begin preloading tomorrow.

Also there will be a hefty launch day patch for the game. Over 900MB on PS4.
Someone posted the patch notes for it:

Finally, there's a launch trailer for Unity making the rounds.

Buzz for Rogue is pretty minimal at the moment. Hoping to see some reviews soon!

macnbc fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 10, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Didn't realize it launched on Armistice Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

psychoJ posted:

This is definitely how I think Unity and Rogue are gonna pan out for sure. And I am still gonna play and enjoy them because I am one of those fans. I am the problem with video games.

Me too. :(

But at the end of the day, there's really nothing quite like the AssCreed games.

• Locked thread