Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I've seen the 90s OVA, s'ok. Tried getting into the manga but apparently it's a giant pain in the rear end to find legally from the beginning, and Last Order is apparently Very Bad so I didn't want to start with that.

It's worth tracking down and Last Order is fantastic. The imaginative designs for future humans from various colonies and evolutionary paths are awesome, the action is great, and the artwork is outstanding. It meanders a bit because there were a lot of contract shenanigans behind the scenes that interrupted the flow a bunch but for the most part it's really good and I'm looking forward to the next series.

The designs for the Venusians are like some kind of horrible genetically engineered Berserk monsters.

Waiting month to month for the ZOTT tournament stuff to happen was sometimes excruciating, but you being able to binge it it should be real fun.

Also, Zekka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Drifter posted:

Kemonozume
It's actually about ninja monster hunters and the monsters who love kill them. It gets pretty goddamn bloody.

It's also directed by Masaaki Yuasa, who has produced some pretty incredible stuff. I actually only just started watching this myself recently and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chas McGill posted:

I think I might have stopped watching at around episode 10 (was it a waterpark/swimsuit episode? gently caress that). I guess I'll go back and watch the rest since it's a fairly unique show. I was just concerned it'd end up being all about magic and who's the ultimate badass rather than a heartwarming story about making it in Japan on the minimum wage.

I think someone summed it up better within this very thread saying that the whole "Ente Isla" thing is like an allegory to Senior Year High-School / College and the whole vibe of the rest of the show is akin to "poo poo, couldn't cut it within my career of choice", and how, while you may have to work a lovely/less-than-well-paid job, if you have a few buddies to have a ball for a while, you might as well enjoy it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anything good with mecha lately? Apart from that Gundam one with the fighting toys or whatever, I mean real mechs, with 80-foot robots punching the absolute poo poo out of each other.

EDIT: Something happy, please?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Anything good with mecha lately? Apart from that Gundam one with the fighting toys or whatever, I mean real mechs, with 80-foot robots punching the absolute poo poo out of each other.

G-Reco, aka Gundam: Reconguista in G.

There are actually two Gundam shows this season and G-Reco sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Majestic Prince from last year turned out better than anyone figured it would. Give it a shot.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so it's been a while and I can't remember who it was, but whichever of you that recommended me Lovely Complex, thank you. This show is great.

Got anything else like it? (Other than Toradora, that's why whoever it was recommended me Lovely Complex in the first place)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fenrir posted:

Ok, so it's been a while and I can't remember who it was, but whichever of you that recommended me Lovely Complex, thank you. This show is great.

Got anything else like it? (Other than Toradora, that's why whoever it was recommended me Lovely Complex in the first place)

You could try Kamisama Kiss/Kamisama Hajimemashita, the manga is still ongoing so the anime doesn't have an actually ending but there's a second season coming soon and it's pretty cute + funny. It's more fantasy-ish than those shows though.

There's also Kimi ni Todoke, but again the anime has no ending and as for reading the manga, that way lies madness.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 5, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Recommend me fun, not too complicated, gory action stuff. Hellsing and JoJo are shining examples. Terra Formars is okay. Gantz is garbo. I'm a Type-Moon encyclopedia, I already love Go Nagai/Ken Ishikawa and I've seen all the famous 80s and 90s OVAs, to get some obvious stuff out of the way. Anime preferred, but I'll take manga recs too.

I want to say Baccano!, but it has a very oddly presented narrative, where everything is out of order but shown in an order that still gets it's stories (yes, multiple) across. So it's heavily lacking in the "not complicated" part, but if you just want an over-the-top splatterhouse with a ridiculous cast - literally everyone is insane in some way - you'll love this show.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Baccano! was a little disconcerting but when I realized that I love Tarantino movies I was able to love Baccano also.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ViggyNash posted:

I want to say Baccano!, but it has a very oddly presented narrative, where everything is out of order but shown in an order that still gets it's stories (yes, multiple) across. So it's heavily lacking in the "not complicated" part, but if you just want an over-the-top splatterhouse with a ridiculous cast - literally everyone is insane in some way - you'll love this show.

Baccano! is something that should be watched anyway, because it's just fantastic all around. It's not all that hard to figure out how events unfold, though it probably could have stood with more time stamps.

Also, watch it dubbed because the actors ham it up like crazy with '20s era gangster voices and it makes the whole thing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really enjoying the Hunter x Hunter anime (though nearing the end of it) and I really loved Level E.

Is the Yu Yu Hakusho anime anywhere near as good?

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm really enjoying the Hunter x Hunter anime

Are you watching the original or the 2011 remake?
Yu Yu Hakusho was fun, but I didn't like it anywhere near as much.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

CommissarMega posted:

Argevollen is OK. The worst I can say about it is that it tries to have too much on it's plate and it feels a bit schitzo at times. Like it wants to deconstruct the genre and be a mech show about people as opposed to mechs like Break Blade, it wants to be a mystery where both sides of the war have real people with real motivations like LoGH, it wants to be about a main character that seems like a normal person but who might be crazy like Linebarrel/Code Geass, and it also wants to be a squad level dramatic war drama like 5th MS Team. Despite all this its still a "guuy who is a bit of a jerk becomes more human after finding the magic robot superweapon" plot.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Recommend me fun, not too complicated, gory action stuff. Hellsing and JoJo are shining examples. Terra Formars is okay. Gantz is garbo. I'm a Type-Moon encyclopedia, I already love Go Nagai/Ken Ishikawa and I've seen all the famous 80s and 90s OVAs, to get some obvious stuff out of the way. Anime preferred, but I'll take manga recs too.
Blade of the Immortal, The Breaker and Worst are all pretty cool manga. I mentioned them a few pages ago but: Dogs: Bullets and Carnage, The Skull Man, King of Thorn, Zetman and Tokyo Majin are decent on the anime front.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lallander posted:

Are you watching the original or the 2011 remake?
Yu Yu Hakusho was fun, but I didn't like it anywhere near as much.

The remake

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yu Yu Hakusho is great. It's overall a bit rougher than HxH, and a bit more traditionally shounen (more 1v1 fights and powers aren't super crazy, but the fights are still good and the powers are still unique) which may be good or bad depending on your opinion. Make sure you watch the dub.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In a lot of ways I prefer YYH over HxH, though that's mostly because of nostalgia for the former and disillusionment with the direction the latter went with after Greed Island. There's a clear point towards the 2/3 mark in YYH though where the quality nosedives and it never really recovers; at least it has a clear ending which is more that can be said for HxH. All told I would definitely say that YYH is a classic that's worth viewing if you have any interest in shounen.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fenrir posted:

If you're looking more for Romance stuff and don't care it's just a manga and not light novel. Watch Paradise Kiss if you never have. It's great, and it's only flaw is a little bit of a rushed ending.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sakurazuka posted:

You could try Kamisama Kiss/Kamisama Hajimemashita, the manga is still ongoing so the anime doesn't have an actually ending but there's a second season coming soon and it's pretty cute + funny. It's more fantasy-ish than those shows though.

Kamisama Kiss was done really well. I almost disagree with you that it doesn't have an ending - it doesn't have the manga's ending, certainly, but the story they tell concludes in a rather satisfactory way as far as I'm concerned. It stands on its own. Funny and cute, and the lead has a great voice with a ton of character.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Does galactic express 999 pickup after the first 10 or so episodes, the premise is eh but I want to give it a shot.

Also Case Closed/Detective Conan is STILL going on? geez, I thought that would have been done by now.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Does the plot in Detective Conan progress any more? I stopped watching years ago on episode 60.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

Does the plot in Detective Conan progress any more? I stopped watching years ago on episode 60.

Though there is an ongoing "main story", it's not what the series focuses on. The main emphasis is the individual mysteries, more like an anthology series. That said, yeah, there's been tons of progression since then. New enemies and allies have been introduced, and there have been several big story arcs involving the "Black Organization" who poisoned him.

I just saw that Crunchyroll picked up the simulcast license, which was a surprise, but they haven't announced any plans for the backlog.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Butt Ghost posted:

Detective Conan has been on the air so long that Shinichi could have surpassed his original age in real time at this point. In other words, no. Not really, no.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I watched the episodes they put up on Crunchyroll, and it took them three episodes to finish a fairly simple locked cabin mystery. Maybe at some point they'll do a condensed series and it'll be good but right now it's more of a curiosity than something worth watching.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Does galactic express 999 pickup after the first 10 or so episodes, the premise is eh but I want to give it a shot.
If you aren't feeling the first ten the next 103 aren't going to get you either. Watch the movies instead. 999 is like six plot episodes spread out over 113 episodes.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Guyver posted:

If you aren't feeling the first ten the next 103 aren't going to get you either. Watch the movies instead. 999 is like six plot episodes spread out over 113 episodes.

Watch Harlock instead if you haven't. Its a lot shorter and has the bonus of being unintentionally hilarious.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

The Black Stones posted:

If you're looking more for Romance stuff and don't care it's just a manga and not light novel. Watch Paradise Kiss if you never have. It's great, and it's only flaw is a little bit of a rushed ending.

Honestly I'm into it more for the comedy. Toradora and Lovely Complex (the latter especially) were really funny when they wanted to be. Like when the weirdo teacher was whispering in Otani's ear to wake him up in class I just loving lost it, and that's just one example.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Paradise Kiss is funny too (just not as funny).

Watch it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMAKuJIkmc

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I haven't watched anime in tears, has there been anything like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood been made since then? Hopefully with a proper ending.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Really good long running shonen anime?

The 2011 Hunter x Hunter series that was talked about a few pages back fits the bill for the most part. While not having a definitive ending there is a good bit of closure.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well yea, tons, but none that are as consistent as FMA. Soul Eater and the new Hunter x Hunter are really good but the former is noticeably worse in the second half and the latter takes a long time to get amazing. You should give them a shot though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Guyver posted:

The 2011 Hunter x Hunter series that was talked about a few pages back fits the bill for the most part. While not having a definitive ending there is a good bit of closure.

Except I don't remember FMA having three episodes to do 6 minutes worth of plot like HxH. I enjoyed HxH but goddamn it dragged many times.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That part of the show is also the best and most memorable. But yea, even when it's being great HxH isn't the easiest to enjoy.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Try out Busou Renkin. Still a favourite of mine as far as Shonen goes.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

you must whip it.

Guyver posted:

Seconding Busou Renkin. Not long running though. I preferred the original Hunter x Hunter anime. You might want to check it out. One Piece is ludicrously long running. Flame of Recca was great but only had 42 episodes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Try out Busou Renkin. Still a favourite of mine as far as Shonen goes.

I used to go to bat for Busou Renkin all the time, but then I rewatched it and now I don't any more. About the only thing it has going for it is Papillon, and he's not enough to carry the whole show, especially after he gets sidelined.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 9, 2014

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

you must whip it.
It doesn't have the best rewatch value. It is great the first time through though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Drifter posted:

Except I don't remember FMA having three episodes to do 6 minutes worth of plot like HxH. I enjoyed HxH but goddamn it dragged many times.

No it didn't? I guess during the second half of the Chimera Ant arc it did a bit, but otherwise it had unusually fast pacing for a shounen show (especially so in the first arc).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Genocyber posted:

No it didn't? I guess during the second half of the Chimera Ant arc it did a bit, but otherwise it had unusually fast pacing for a shounen show (especially so in the first arc).

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HxH is blistering fast compared to something like One Piece or Bleach.

I mean it's not as crazy efficient with episode time as FMA:B is but that show wasn't really paced liked shonen to begin with.

• Locked thread