Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Magres posted:

Eve owns yo. Just trade away your heart containers so you max at one heart and then crush the world with your like +3 damage and speed from Whore of Babylon. Seriously that item is so strong. It's like playing Judas except with significantly better stats in exchange for Book of Belial. Eve is legit one of my favorite characters, just get her down to one or zero max health and play her like you'd play Blue.

Yeah, this. She's a little dicey for the first couple floors, but make a couple smart trades with the Devil and you're in business. She plays like a hybrid of ??? and Samson, but better than both because she has hearts to trade unlike ??? and she doesn't reset every floor like Samson does.

Speaking of the Devil, I feel like I'm not seeing The Pact or The Pentagram in devil rooms as much as I used to. Those used to be my go-to bargains in the old game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
So, would I VAC ban myself by using steam achievement manager to activate The Lost and the alt+f2 to import it to BOI?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Out of curiosity, what are the odds for a double skeleton key drop? :v:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Uh holy poo poo, I half-heartedly hit "sync" on the Vita and ... it magically worked!!! My original save appears to be back.

Still getting an "unknown error" on PS4, unfortunately.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

So, would I VAC ban myself by using steam achievement manager to activate The Lost and the alt+f2 to import it to BOI?

Ehhhh... I did it just to debunk people on Reddit, which is worth the risk. I don't think using SAM on indie games with no multiplayer is a super high risk target for VAC bans but I'm not the most educated on the subject.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think anyone's ever gotten VAC banned for using SAM, but the risk is still there.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Out of curiosity, what are the odds for a double skeleton key drop? :v:

i've had 3 on a single floor

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Unlocking the secret character sounds like a Fez-level bullshit puzzle.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

If anyone wants a fun seed, WBBD QDY3 is a Maggy game I'm playing now with a Holy Mantle + Death's Scythe + Goat's Head + Tammy's Head + 3 Dollar Bill, you get to pee a circle of yellow scythes all at once and stuff.

How did you get Death's Scythe? In a red chest? Also, did you previously unlock it?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Davincie posted:

i've had 3 on a single floor

I've had multiples a floor (which is hilarious as they're useless past the first) but I've never had multiples in the same room.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So does Libra randomly "balance" attributes or was it taking everything to 1 point on my Azazel run somehow my fault?

Read posted:

How did you get Death's Scythe? In a red chest? Also, did you previously unlock it?

I did previously unlock it, it's in a devil room pretty early along (maybe 2nd/3rd floor?) with a Goat's Head. I already had Holy Mantle at that point so I used 3/4 of my red hearts (2 for scythe, 1 for goat head) there.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Read posted:

It's unlocked by doing the Waka Waka challenge, and yeah it's a deal with the devil item.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

VAC is per game and only affects multiplayer.

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.
This will likely lead to the solution for unlocking the lost

http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/2lpv6b/puzzle_pieces_spoilers/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So as a complete newb what should me first task in this game be?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eve is fun when things are going well but I'm sick of accidentally picking up health and ruining my run.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

So as a complete newb what should me first task in this game be?

Play the game, just play and don't worry about challenges at first. Just have fun, die against a few bosses, and stumble like you're punch-drunk towards Mom as you learn the game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Azazel is the sickest dude to play as if you can pass the first few levels without taking that much damage

I did a run today where my first item was the one that lets you control tears and it turned my beam to a giant circle of death

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Alkydere posted:

Play the game, just play and don't worry about challenges at first. Just have fun, die against a few bosses, and stumble like you're punch-drunk towards Mom as you learn the game.

Addendum: If you love the items a challenge gives you, feel free to try it. That one that gives you homing lasers to start out with was pretty fun as one of my first runs.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

VAC is on a per-game basis and only applies to multiplayer games. You will not get vac banned from a single-player game because that doesn't make any sense. SAM isn't a thing that would even earn you a VAC ban from even multiplayer games.

I find the big warning at the header of the reddit post hilarious, people still haven't twigged how VAC bans work?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
:siren: Potentially Massive Spoiler:siren:

Okay, it turns out that the puzzle pieces are likely a part of a death screen. Which has an enemy to die to, and presumably specific items at the time. We don't know if this is what's going on, but it seems likely that you have to die to a specific enemy while holding specific items. Here's an imgur link to the most recent attempts at figuring out the currently known puzzle pieces: http://imgur.com/Mqr0oS9

I personally think it would be really cool if every player had a unique item/enemy death combination needed.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 9, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God drat, just fought The Lamb for the first time. That fucker's mean! It was an Azazel run that completely fell apart in Utero 2 and never got better. I finished Satan with about 4 hearts, and the chests in the new zone gave me nothing but a Dead Cat... which I had to take after picking a few incorrect routes and getting down to half a heart.

Had Tammy's Head and was going to use it on the boss when he gets to half health and splits in two but he used one of his attacks right after that. Didn't think he could do that! With only one heart and about six lives left, there was no way. That area's nuts. I ran into a big room that had like three Super Wraths and about a half dozen regular ones! That's way worse than the Chest!

Dead Boy will be easier on The Chest, for sure, unless they've made drastic changes to it. Even with any changes he has, I doubt ??? is tougher than the new guy.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I hope this game has weird secrets that aren't found for a long long time :allears:

Even if they are just programming fuckups. Those were still being discovered in the first game right up to now.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Rebirth doesn't even have VAC.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Hey I have a good brimstone ??? run, but i just found a soul converter. I don't wanna risk it, but I'm curious what would happen.
would it just create a heart container that would be replaced with a soul heart?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

VAC is on a per-game basis and only applies to multiplayer games. You will not get vac banned from a single-player game because that doesn't make any sense. SAM isn't a thing that would even earn you a VAC ban from even multiplayer games.

I find the big warning at the header of the reddit post hilarious, people still haven't twigged how VAC bans work?

Hell, I've used it to unlock some of the achievements in games like Payday 2 (because gently caress farming enemies for weeks on end for a sniper sight) and never got banned. It used to ban you for unlocking stuff in TF2, but that was a long time ago and I've never heard since of anyone getting banned.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GeneX posted:

:siren: Potentially Massive Spoiler:siren:

Okay, it turns out that the puzzle pieces are likely a part of a death screen. Which has an enemy to die to, and presumably specific items at the time. We don't know if this is what's going on, but it seems likely that you have to die to a specific enemy while holding specific items. Here's an imgur link to the most recent attempts at figuring out the currently known puzzle pieces: http://imgur.com/Mqr0oS9

I personally think it would be really cool if every player had a unique item/enemy death combination needed.

That sounds like a loving nightmare to do without cheating, especially if I have to complete the puzzle by myself.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

I hope this game has weird secrets that aren't found for a long long time :allears:

I've discovered a weird secret: gently caress soy milk.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Man if the Lost is just a worse ??? I'm kind of disappointed

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I dunno, I'd trade 2 soul hearts for flying.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ChibiSoma posted:

That area's nuts. I ran into a big room that had like three Super Wraths and about a half dozen regular ones! That's way worse than the Chest!
I've actually ran into that exact room on the Chest as well. I think it's largely the same level of difficulty, and I'd say ??? is probably a little harder than the lamb.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I just tried it because why not. He has zero health and dies in one hit no matter what.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I just tried it because why not. He has zero health and dies in one hit no matter what.

Ultra hard mode.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

RatHat posted:

That sounds like a loving nightmare to do without cheating, especially if I have to complete the puzzle by myself.

Well, the second part of that is just speculation. Anyway, updated poster: http://imgur.com/vugpWQ6

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think McMillen probably wants The Lost to be a really difficult and mysterious unlock that forces the community to work together at first. Once people have worked it out he'll probably patch it to make it easier like he did with The Chest.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Anyone else find Dingle to be an early run-killer? His shots after he summons the little chocolate drop guys come out way too fast, and he seems to be able to go directly into a triple dash right after that.
Not really, his attacks are incredibly telegraphed and predictable. Whistle = spawn dudes then triple shot, smile = triple shot, puffed cheeks = triple dash at you three times. The only attack that you might still struggle with is the dash, but if you stop firing at him then just stepping out of his path should work fine (firing occasionally makes him spike off in an unpredictable direction).

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

RatHat posted:

Ultra hard mode.

I should have mentioned that I found out he seems to be able to pick up deal with the devil items even if he has zero health

http://i.imgur.com/55lPQqq.jpg

Guppy's hairball was a 3 spirit heart deal but he took it no problem

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

No one tried to reverse engineer the game files yet? I'm kind of tempted since I have some experience with unpacking/repacking unknown data formats. Having way too much fun just playing though. And they left a nice note:

code:
You might wonder how you can open those .a files. Currently there are no
tools available, and there is a reason to it.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has a lot of content that is unlocked as you
progress. It also contains some secrets.
We felt that having a folder with all the spritesheets, cutscene videos,
data files and whatnot would be too tempting for people to ignore.
Finding out things while playing the game, either alone, with friends,
or as part of an online community can be a very rewarding experience. We
don't want to take that away from you.

In case you like reverse engineering and absolutely want to take this
beautiful game apart, we would ask you a few things.
 - Don't release any secrets you find to the internet.
 - Don't publish information on how to open the game's data files.
 - Don't give away the unpacked resources.
The least you can do is wait until the game has been released for a
couple of months, so you don't accidentally spoil it for others.

If you have any questions, write to [email]isaac@nicalis.com[/email].

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I'm going to stop with the spoiler tags, because it doesn't seem like anyone cares.

The current death poster mockup seems to say that you need to die as Maggy. No clue on items or cause of death yet, people think it might be a deal with the devil.

EDIT: oh boy, someone on steam seems to have gotten judas' name instead of Maggy's. Which means either it's diferent for each person, whether from a set pool or completely random, the character you die as doesn't matter, or there are specific characters you can use.

Or that there are alternate ways of doing it with different characters and you'll need to get like 500 puzzle pieces just to fill out all the death screen mockups.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 9, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It used to ban you for unlocking stuff in TF2, but that was a long time ago and I've never heard since of anyone getting banned.

I don't think it even banned you for that, think it just screwed you out of the Cheater's Lament item, made specifically to reward those who didn't cheat for their unlocks.

as far as I know nobody has ever actually been banned over SAM, I'm pretty sure VAC has bigger fish to fry than achievement fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

omeg posted:

No one tried to reverse engineer the game files yet? I'm kind of tempted since I have some experience with unpacking/repacking unknown data formats. Having way too much fun just playing though. And they left a nice note:

The .a files are not any standard archive format that I can figure out, it's some special compressed/encrypted poo poo. I think some people on reddit found assembly code or something that can help them figure out how to unpack them but this is all way out of my league so I guess I'm sitting this one out.

Not that I really care, I am enjoying the poo poo out of just playing this game.