Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Nifty posted:

I perform audits on behalf of banks, on companies that are applying for loans with the banks. Job is about 1/3rd travel. I also use all those points and travel a lot on my own too. I keep track of this cause I'm a nerd and so far 2014 I've been out of town 71 nights for business and 61 nights for pleasures

How do you track it? Spreadsheets or something fancier?

I don't bother much with tracking hotel nights, but I do track flights in unnecessary detail - originally with a spreadsheet, but I gave myself a six month project last year to program myself a database-driven website to keep track of stupid things like which aircraft families I fly the most out of a given airport or which tail numbers I've been on the most.

I've been thinking about adding hotels, but I'm not sure what I'd really want to track about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
I use my flight memory dort com. The stats are fun to check myself with, equipment, airport, upgrade, distances, time, etc. Hotels stats I couldn't give a poo poo less about. Nights spent I can track via status level I guess.

I've been considering tracking tail numbers on planes tho. I have a disease.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

I use my flight memory dort com. The stats are fun to check myself with, equipment, airport, upgrade, distances, time, etc. Hotels stats I couldn't give a poo poo less about. Nights spent I can track via status level I guess.

I've been considering tracking tail numbers on planes tho. I have a disease.

We should start a support group.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Seeing other people's flight maps always makes me feel hopelessly domestic. (I did have a lot of overseas travel as a kid as an air force brat, but as my flight log starts at age 18, those flights aren't counted.) I need to just suck it up and book some personal overseas trips rather than waiting on work to eventually send me somewhere.

Tail numbers ended up being a huge rabbit hole for me. It seemed simple enough at first, until I realized that most airport concourses are designed for silly things like efficiency and not for making the tail number visible from the concourse windows. From there, it's been a lot of learning about how various airlines' fleet numbers work, where various equipment keeps its construction number printed (I love that the 737 has it on a panel at the top of the frame for the passenger door, makes it nice and easy to record), and then running that all through planespotters.net (and for older flights, the BTS on-time statistics), and then verifying with FlightAware's tail number search. Why FlightAware can't tell me the tail number given a flight number/date/route, I don't know, since it clearly has that information if I search on the tail number itself.

On the plus side, all that tail number research has been helpful, especially on some of my older flights before I really started tracking. In 2008, I had a trip leg from ORD to CLE to JFK, so I'd been assuming that with a Cleveland layover, they were both Continental flights. Once I found the BTS statistics, I realized that it was actually a pair of American flights where the same aircraft was transitioning between hubs via Cleveland – and, with that, it was also the first time I'd flown more than once on a particular tail.

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 9, 2014

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
I travel periodically for work (video game producer, currently working for a publisher) and also because it's a hobby. Live in Europe, from Vancouver so make that trip around twice a year, plus I go visit studios, business partners, as well as trade shows and the like.

I rarely get enough time with a single carrier/network to qualify as a frequent anything, but still travel way more than the average bear.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

canoshiz posted:

If you guys use Concur their mobile app lets you take a picture of the receipt and enter it as an expense directly from there.

No fancy expense system. We have this oracle looking lovely expense system.

I just want to kill myself before doing the 7K in expenses I need to do before Wednesday.

One of my big problems is the bag full of receipts and tracking the names of the clients I took out for dinner or drinks.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Mackieman posted:

We should start a support group.
http://my.flightmemory.com/hadrianus35
Got you beat on the shortest flight! SFO-MRY, it's a emb120... sweat elegant age of the turbo prop over Monterey Bay. I'm actually going down there today but the price was stupid this time around so I'm driving from SFO. You can see how shoddy I am about tracking some of this stuff (195 personal flights... what the??) I can't be bothered to fill everything out proper each time, or I got started filling it out one way and now don't see the point to changing all my past stuff. Tail numbers seems like it would be a nightmare but I am really curious sometimes. I've debated whether to do the cockpit door numbers for whatever those would tell me instead.

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Seeing other people's flight maps always makes me feel hopelessly domestic. (I did have a lot of overseas travel as a kid as an air force brat, but as my flight log starts at age 18, those flights aren't counted.) I need to just suck it up and book some personal overseas trips rather than waiting on work to eventually send me somewhere.
I feel that way right now too only because my major int'l treks were pre-flightaware days and I didn't track that stuff at all. I was prez plat with CO and used to laugh about the guys making tier on domestic travel. Now that's me and it ain't fun. I just never want to be the one to make tier off of segments, tho, with UA's new rev based awards earnings, that might actually be the better deal now!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

The Risk posted:

I just want to kill myself before doing the 7K in expenses I need to do before Wednesday.

One of my big problems is the bag full of receipts and tracking the names of the clients I took out for dinner or drinks.

Before you go out to dinner/drinks write down the date, names of the people attending and the location in your phone notes program. Before bed, enter the total amount. But maybe that is impractical at the rate you take people out?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The Risk posted:

We use Oracle EBS expenses. Typically, I just write who I'm with physically on the receipt and use a scanning app on my phone like Scanner Pro or Genius Scan right at the restaurant or right when I get back to my hotel. I'll use a PDF editor if I need to append any other receipts like hotel, Uber, etc.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

How do you track it? Spreadsheets or something fancier?

Track my out of town nights just using a Google sheet, so I can edit wherever I am. It's just four columns.. two columns each for personal and business: out of town nights, and destination.

My flight memory isnt impressive enough to even post it, but I use that too. Can't fathom keeping track of everything you guys do though, I just put origin/destination, and airline.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

sellouts posted:

You finding a lot of flights going out with open seats in first or a lot of plats clearing with upgrades?

I was getting regular upgrades on Untied from SAN to second and third tier markets; I'm just a peon on AA and the routes I fly are usually pretty busy.

Forgive my ignorance; does AA do complementary upgrades?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Noggin Monkey posted:

I was getting regular upgrades on Untied from SAN to second and third tier markets; I'm just a peon on AA and the routes I fly are usually pretty busy.

Forgive my ignorance; does AA do complementary upgrades?

Executive plat has infinite complementary ones, but platinum/gold have to use 500 mile upgrades.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The sticker thing is my number one dissatisfier comparing AAdvantage to Skymiles. I find them challenging to use and track.

edit: this may mean i am pants on head stupid

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

air- posted:

Executive plat has infinite complementary ones, but platinum/gold have to use 500 mile upgrades.

I think this is coming to us airways once they merge the programs which annoys me. Upgrades on us are pretty decent right now and I get them fairly often as gold. I haven't looked into all the details yet so I don't know if it will actually make my life worse not.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If the question is "will it be worse" the answer is always "yes".

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Lyon posted:

I think this is coming to us airways once they merge the programs which annoys me. Upgrades on us are pretty decent right now and I get them fairly often as gold. I haven't looked into all the details yet so I don't know if it will actually make my life worse not.

As a gold on AA, I managed to get an upgrade only once: LAS-DFW and it was early on a Sunday morning. I always had spare 500 mile stickers.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Midjack posted:

If the question is "will it be worse" the answer is always "yes".

air- posted:

As a gold on AA, I managed to get an upgrade only once: LAS-DFW and it was early on a Sunday morning. I always had spare 500 mile stickers.

Balls, what the hell is the point of the lower tier status on American then? Even as a silver on US you could get upgrades if there was availability. I will probably hit 75k this year but I think that will be the highest I can reach at this job.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
The only thing worse than a 2 hour delay on the last flight of the day is having the rental agency promise they'll wait and finding out they didn't bother 20 minutes after closing time. gently caress you Hertz.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Lyon posted:

Balls, what the hell is the point of the lower tier status on American then? Even as a silver on US you could get upgrades if there was availability. I will probably hit 75k this year but I think that will be the highest I can reach at this job.

Booking exit rows/"preferred" seats, baggage allowance (now cut), 25% bonus mileage, early boarding. Better irrops handling.

Credit cards have replaced/duplicated some of these and gold upgrades do exist, but it all depends on flight times and routes. I mean I've been on flights with over 40 exec plats on them. It all just depends.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I was having trouble with my hotel Internet connection, but only on one laptop. Basically, Internet Explorer couldn't connect to jack consistently. I could ping https://www.google.com but not https://www.cnn.com. I just configured Google as my DNS provider, and that seems to have fixed it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

sellouts posted:

I mean I've been on flights with over 40 exec plats on them. It all just depends.
SNA is easily the worst for this.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

air- posted:

We have a number of golds on AA here, and they all do much better than that.

Lyon posted:

US Airways has a fair lower percentage of FF elites versus the other legacies, and the combined carrier is reducing the number of F seats on some routes.

Regardless of the upgrade method, it's likely most US Air fliers will see their upgrade rates drop like a rock.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 11, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

taco show posted:

SNA is easily the worst for this.

I have to fly MSP-SNA fairly often and on Monday mornings I've seen upgrade lists in the 60s and 70s for a plane with only 114 seats in coach. I go out of my way to fly ATL-SNA instead. Longer flight, but nicer planes, for more first class seats, and far fewer elites. I actually have a pretty good upgrade percentage on that route.

ThoiBoi
May 15, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I have to fly MSP-SNA fairly often and on Monday mornings I've seen upgrade lists in the 60s and 70s for a plane with only 114 seats in coach. I go out of my way to fly ATL-SNA instead. Longer flight, but nicer planes, for more first class seats, and far fewer elites. I actually have a pretty good upgrade percentage on that route.

RE: ATL - SNA

I flew this on Delta instead of ATL - LAX just to try it out. Being a Delta hub, there are SO MANY Delta elites on these flights, it's ridiculous.. I was hoping maybe I'd get better upgrade potential flying into SNA but so far.. no :(. It's definitely a nicer crowd though (OC vs LA)

ThoiBoi
May 15, 2009

SuperSix posted:

I'm in college and I'm just curious, what do you guys do?

nikosoft posted:

I work as an IT consultant in the EHR industry. There are contracts available all over the place, but I generally try to stay on the west coast to make travel easier.

IT Consultant as well!!! *waves* I'm surprised there's not more of us in this forum! Traveling from LAX to MIA/FLL every week for work.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thoguh posted:

You chose a connection in ATL and fly the wrong direction to get there over the direct flight to SNA to play upgrade roulette (or upgrade at all).

Your employer is ok with this? Is it remarkably cheaper?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If I'm flying redeye west to east I have deliberately picked a longer flight to get more sleep, but I sleep easily on planes and that's pretty easily justifiable.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If I'm flying redeye west to east I have deliberately picked a longer flight to get more sleep, but I sleep easily on planes and that's pretty easily justifiable.

Tell us your secrets! My biggest problem is being too tall I can't support my neck without Cramping my back.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Tell us your secrets! My biggest problem is being too tall I can't support my neck without Cramping my back.

For me, it's two Advil PM and some Bose Q20is but I'm only 6'. Better living through chemistry. :shobon:

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Xguard86 posted:

How tall are you? At 6'3" I don't normally have a problem though it helps if the headrest can be elevated.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Planes put me to sleep - not anything I deliberately do. I will fall asleep on a plane at any time of day/night unless I force myself not to.

Feel good, man. :chord:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

Only time I've slept well on a plane I skipped any heavy food & drink before sleeping.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Only time I've slept well on a plane I skipped any heavy food & drink before sleeping.

Only time I've slept on a plane I was pretty drunk from the bottle of vodka I bought at the duty free before getting on the plane.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

asur posted:

How tall are you? At 6'3" I don't normally have a problem though it helps if the headrest can be elevated.

6ft 2in so not like Sasquatch. My biggest issue is just as I fall asleep my head sags and rolls and then obviously I wake up. How do yall keep your heads stable? I've considered a neck pillow but I've heard mixed reviews.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Xguard86 posted:

6ft 2in so not like Sasquatch. My biggest issue is just as I fall asleep my head sags and rolls and then obviously I wake up. How do yall keep your heads stable? I've considered a neck pillow but I've heard mixed reviews.

I put the seat back and the bend the head rest, or if you're in the window seat lean against the fuselage.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

asur posted:

I put the seat back and the bend the head rest, or if you're in the window seat lean against the fuselage.

It doesn't flop over? I try to make a little brace but it just bends and my head rolls out. This seems like such a simple thing but...drat if I can even lightly nap.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Loop your belt around your forehead and the headrest

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Xguard86 posted:

It doesn't flop over? I try to make a little brace but it just bends and my head rolls out. This seems like such a simple thing but...drat if I can even lightly nap.

I have same issue with floppy head syndrome. Sometimes those bendy headrests are screwed up and won't support any weight either.

I have a basic neck pillow but it won't stay put. I'm gonna try one of those stiff thin ones next time. Just finished a 20k round trip route and it got brutal at the end.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Get a wide/comfortable strap to wrap around the top of your seat and across your forehead. Like a giant head band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my head flops around like crazy and it doesn't really bug me. I either take the window to lean up against the wall or i just dangle my head all the way forward like an idiot.

You could make your neck really swole i guess?