Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Where's playable Alraune and Loptr Platinum? Where

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pbaby, do you really wanna play as Loptr?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

notZaar posted:

I don't feel the need to go looking for the hidden verses because Witch Trials scratches the pure combat itch nicely. Getting all plats is for the ocd weirdos who put value on achievements.

Doing good at a game is for OCD weirdos that's why I'm bad on purpose

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

whaley posted:

Doing good at a game is for OCD weirdos that's why I'm bad on purpose

Well there's being good at the combat and then there's being an obsessive who has to find every hidden verse.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

notZaar posted:

Well there's being good at the combat and then there's being an obsessive who has to find every hidden verse.

This has to be like the most petty thing to call someone obsessive over.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
So I played through Bayo 1 before starting 2, and thought it was really good and fun but also found it suffered from a lot of game design issues common in 2008, like lousy map design and excessive green/brown/grey and QTEs that take too long and involve excessive mashing and those dumb hidden fights that are a pain in the rear end to find.

Then I booted up 2 and holy poo poo it's like Platinum was reading my mind, the game flows so much better and is so fun to look at

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Jesus, Witch Trial 5 does not gently caress around. I'd been mostly stomping things with Rosa beforehand, but I can only infrequently get past the first Verse. I'm killing the buffer first, but I inevitably gently caress up somewhere and take a healthbar of damage. I can't even use Pulley's Butterfly (a godsend with Rosa's reduced defence), since that's the first verse, so I have no magic.

The one time I got past that, I got grabbed twice by the Valiances, and only didn't die because of the button mashing scene, only to get wrecked in the third verse by Alraune. I swear, half the time I dodge I get no Witch Time, and then get shredded by her followup as I come out of the dodge.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only thing 1 has over 2 is maybe cooler bosses. It's a shame that the Wii U version has a poo poo frame rate. I can't imagine how bad it was on PS3 if it's still better.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hidden verses are cool and only worry about missing some when you're going for a perfect run you nerds.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think that's really stretching the word "cool".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hidden Verses are a really dumb way to try and make your stages seem less linear than they are, but they're pretty fun normally and not super hard to find. It's dumb how like loving three of them are hidden in relatively silly ways, but hey that's how collectible crap is and it will never not be silly. It's cool to want hunt for collectibles though if you like a game enough to do that. Unfortunately no Muspelheim's will be as cool as the Table Hopper DMC4 one.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

notZaar posted:

They're not even that hidden in bayonetta 2 and once you know where they are you're just getting more fun combat encounters. I don't understand calling someone obsessive for this. gently caress, I just looked up a list of them anyway.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like the one where you have to break the bench the couple is sitting on.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

The only thing 1 has over 2 is maybe cooler bosses. It's a shame that the Wii U version has a poo poo frame rate. I can't imagine how bad it was on PS3 if it's still better.

The bosses in Bayo 1 all look really cool but too many of them end up being punching bags. Bayo 2s bosses feel a lot more dynamic.

I also think Jeanne is a better adversary than the sage, but they're both really fun to fight.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Instead of complaining about dumb things like hidden fights, does anyone have a good strategy against Sloths? I figured freezing them then chainsawing them would work but I haven't been able to pull it off yet.

Sloths are terrible and are the new Grace and Glory. Discuss.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're lovely and boring meticulous enemies to fight and there's no efficient way to fight them that isn't witch timing them and cutting them up or slapping them the whip at long range. Half of the demon enemies are unfun to fight and Sloth stands above the rest.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i wish sloths moveset was useable

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Friend and I finally got around to tag climax and I can't tell if I like it or not. It felt like enemies would focus on me then turn around and suddenly slap my friend who was behind it without much warning or likewise and in half the encounters I felt like I had to chase the boss and my friend down because they kept flying everywhere else and stinger wasn't doing much (mainly the prophet fight)

It was also the first time I tried out Rosa. It's also the last time. Playing as a wet paper bag with a rock in it was funny but not too enjoyable.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Man chapter 9 is a brick wall in my 3rd Climax run. It feels like the difficulty just spikes here. Prophet especially has almost no tells on his moves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really like the demon enemies. I think they're more fun to fight than most of the angels. :smith:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So I'm discovering the wonders of the Bracelet of Time. It... kinda feels like cheating sometimes. Combined with the whip it allows you to keep almost any enemy stunlocked in near-perpetuity... two enemies, actually.

Is it... broken? :ohdear:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fedule posted:

So I'm discovering the wonders of the Bracelet of Time. It... kinda feels like cheating sometimes. Combined with the whip it allows you to keep almost any enemy stunlocked in near-perpetuity... two enemies, actually.

Is it... broken? :ohdear:

It is broken but it makes some really cool combos possible. I don't use it for playing normally though.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It was also the first time I tried out Rosa. It's also the last time. Playing as a wet paper bag with a rock in it was funny but not too enjoyable.

Rosa does amazing amounts of damage, so you can make fewer mistakes but have fewer opportunities to make them--which means it's totally feasible to rely on luck instead of skill. She carried me through Witch Trials 3 and 4. Still having trouble with 5, though: just about everything kills you in one hit.

Damone
May 3, 2009
So just for clarification, do characters all have their different requirements for platinum? Specifically Combo score, I can get platinums with Jeanne and Rosa fairly easy while dicking around a little but with Bayonetta herself I really struggle. I feel like I have to play at maximum score minmaxing to barely eek out a Platinum for her combo score a few times throughout the game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Damone posted:

So just for clarification, do characters all have their different requirements for platinum? Specifically Combo score, I can get platinums with Jeanne and Rosa fairly easy while dicking around a little but with Bayonetta herself I really struggle. I feel like I have to play at maximum score minmaxing to barely eek out a Platinum for her combo score a few times throughout the game.

I don't think they have different requirements. Jeanne at least gets more points for wicked weaves, dunno about Rosa.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ap4QxTZDQ

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

:psyduck: Man this game is complex, and yet you can smash your face against the controller and still have fun like I did.

The part in the first segment of that series about how the lockon indicator is an actual projectile that had an effect on the enemy just blew my mind as a scrub player.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

It's hilarious and pitiful that there are people out there who think all there is to Bayonetta is mashing random buttons.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
drat this game was good as gently caress. The final boss strikes me as a little less awe inspiring than bayo1, though theres nothing wrong with one on one virgil style fights. I lost my loving mind when he tried to colony drop you

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Tetsuzanko cancels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPd6Agvm25c

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Umbran spear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_AqsFOTPo8

The true purpose of witch twist: speed running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ou5DWHQRk0

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Is there a good written or video guide somewhere that offers a complete analysis of Bayonetta's combat system? I wanna study this poo poo in depth but watching piecemeal videos here and there isn't very helpful. What little I've found via google is extremely basic, on the level of "did you know about witch time?" The above couple of videos show off the kinda stuff I want to get good at, but they don't really attempt to explain what's going on.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

acksplode posted:

Is there a good written or video guide somewhere that offers a complete analysis of Bayonetta's combat system? I wanna study this poo poo in depth but watching piecemeal videos here and there isn't very helpful. What little I've found via google is extremely basic, on the level of "did you know about witch time?" The above couple of videos show off the kinda stuff I want to get good at, but they don't really attempt to explain what's going on.

Well, the umbran arts episode 3 is coming out...!

To be honest, by far the best guide for Bayonetta is the Bayonetta official guide written by Saurian Dash - however, getting hold of it is nightmarishly hard (it's one of the few guides actually worth a drat). Other than that I suppose the yoshesque LP contains quite a lot of good information on this very website!

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

acksplode posted:

You need to search for it. Not just google, but really dig into the various communities like NeoGAF or GameFAQs. Youtube has a lot of tech if you know where to look. Saur and co are doing a good job, because it's basically putting all the information in the hard-to-find FuturePress guide into video format that everyone can access. Plus, a lot of it is taking the time to experiment with the game, with the weapons, frame-cancelling, enemies, etc. It's a long-term commitment to really know the system, which is why it took me almost two years to confidently put an LP out, and even then, I've massively improved since starting that.

For me, it was watching the good players (n472a comes to mind) and then breaking down what they were doing and recreating it myself. By the time I got the FuturePress guide, most of it I already knew simply due to the amount of time I had already put into the game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Just play the game and have fun. Go into practice mode or witch trials and try some poo poo out. This is a game not some weird natural phenomenon that needs dissection.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Well, is there any site/video that has detailed info on Lumen Sage's moveset? It's hard to practice with him when you can't use him in practice mode.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Well, is there any site/video that has detailed info on Lumen Sage's moveset? It's hard to practice with him when you can't use him in practice mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_OGHmnPnLw

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god, Koyasu's voice is awful for enochian.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

notZaar posted:

Just play the game and have fun. Go into practice mode or witch trials and try some poo poo out. This is a game not some weird natural phenomenon that needs dissection.

Right, it's a man-made system that invites analysis. Thanks for the tip though, at your direction I suppose I'll keep playing Bayonetta 2.

yoshesque posted:

You need to search for it. Not just google, but really dig into the various communities like NeoGAF or GameFAQs. Youtube has a lot of tech if you know where to look. Saur and co are doing a good job, because it's basically putting all the information in the hard-to-find FuturePress guide into video format that everyone can access. Plus, a lot of it is taking the time to experiment with the game, with the weapons, frame-cancelling, enemies, etc. It's a long-term commitment to really know the system, which is why it took me almost two years to confidently put an LP out, and even then, I've massively improved since starting that.

For me, it was watching the good players (n472a comes to mind) and then breaking down what they were doing and recreating it myself. By the time I got the FuturePress guide, most of it I already knew simply due to the amount of time I had already put into the game.
Maybe you should be writing the guide I'm looking for ;) Yeah trawling GameFAQs is what I was hoping to avoid haha. If there's a strategy guide on the way that explains the combat system in depth then I might hold out for that before I start digging in seriously. I just don't have the time these days to spend hours experimenting and muddling my way toward mastery. If other people are going to figure this game out, I'd rather save a lot of time and learn from their example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Out of curiosity, if I play Tag Climax with someone who has verse cards that I don't, can they pick those cards?

• Locked thread