Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Unfortunately golden keys don't work with key beggars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If Edmund wanted a reprise of the pre-internet games of rumours and secrets, I guess he did pretty well.

I'll be amazed if Cobalt or Richard ever play this game again once they're done with this, if they don't call it quits before completing the 111%.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Does playing on Hard unlock different things or is it just for vanity acheivements/challenge?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I am pleased to report that Soy Milk + Ipecac works exactly as you'd think it would.

Gunning down Wrath with a fully-auto poison grenade launcher in half a second was probably the highlight.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
drat, I'm gonna have to be more careful about picking up Libra in the future. It reset my damage stat to two but bumped my fire rate to maximum. It would have worked okay if I hadn't had Brimstone. Everything was still pretty easy, but Isaac became pretty tough, since his heaven beams are kinda hard to dodge. Oh well, I did manage to complete the boss rush at least.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Found yet another GLITCH!!!! in a challenge but don't think it's related to the challenge. In the cards challenge I bought PHD and also the pill-room item, and then my deck started giving me pills instead of cards. They were all garbage too like "range up" or "i found pills" but the challenge was easy so I won anyway.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The way co-op works is actually really cool, if you haven't tried it. The second player becomes a hovering baby who can fly but not pick up anything. The baby gets all the upgrades Isaac does but seems to gets its damage locked at slightly less than his. The trick is that, when the second player jumps in, they take a heart from Isaac, so a standard Isaac would go down to two maximum hearts while Baby has a single heart of its own. If Baby dies, the empty heart reverts back to Isaac. Baby always takes the "next heart in line" for Isaac, so if you have Sin or Soul hearts, Baby will take that instead (with all the associated properties.)

Baby also looks different every time he appears, and some rare forms have unique properties. One has its shot controls reversed. Others drop items when they die.

Nothing about the actual game changes, but the fact that you need to spend hearts to activate co-op is there to keep it from being overpowered. (It's still a little overpowered.)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Apparently the unlocking method mentioned earlier actually works.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Co-op is the best thing about Isaac, hands down.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

tRIDAV posted:

Does playing on Hard unlock different things or is it just for vanity acheivements/challenge?

You unlock some more co op babies

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Rocketlex posted:

The way co-op works is actually really cool, if you haven't tried it. The second player becomes a hovering baby who can fly but not pick up anything. The baby gets all the upgrades Isaac does but seems to gets its damage locked at slightly less than his. The trick is that, when the second player jumps in, they take a heart from Isaac, so a standard Isaac would go down to two maximum hearts while Baby has a single heart of its own. If Baby dies, the empty heart reverts back to Isaac. Baby always takes the "next heart in line" for Isaac, so if you have Sin or Soul hearts, Baby will take that instead (with all the associated properties.)

Baby also looks different every time he appears, and some rare forms have unique properties. One has its shot controls reversed. Others drop items when they die.

Nothing about the actual game changes, but the fact that you need to spend hearts to activate co-op is there to keep it from being overpowered. (It's still a little overpowered.)

Yeah I'd say it's a little overpowered since you can have 4 players at a time (at least on the PS4) but who cares, it's fun as h*ck.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So I mentioned a while ago that my game crashes when my controller shuts off while running. It turns out this only happens in Challenges for some reason. So I guess if you're a big cheaty mc cheaterson that you can (maybe) disconnect your controller towards the end of a bad room in a Challenge to crash out the game and start at the beginning of the floor you were on when you resume.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kawalimus posted:

Found yet another GLITCH!!!! in a challenge but don't think it's related to the challenge. In the cards challenge I bought PHD and also the pill-room item, and then my deck started giving me pills instead of cards. They were all garbage too like "range up" or "i found pills" but the challenge was easy so I won anyway.

Yeah, I mentioned that last night. If you drop the pills by holding left CTRL they always become a Tower card too.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

GeneX posted:

Apparently the unlocking method mentioned earlier actually works.

That's so crazy. I love the people getting butthurt that it was discovered through datamining and not the "legit" way of dying a specific way with an item that is random to get to get 1 of like 50+ puzzle pieces in a death screen that you would have to screenshot and piece together. Like holy poo poo that's the "legit" way? When the "legit" way of discovering the unlock is that loving obtuse, tedious, and dumb, what does it matter how exactly the person who told you about it discovered it? Either way, some random internet nerd discovered the method to unlock the character and you follow the instructions. It's not like any single person would piece that together "legit" of randomly getting the item and then randomly finding a sacrifice room to get a random puzzle piece, and repeat 50 or so times, so that you can screenshot and piece together the clue in a "legit" way. It's so insane.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

So It Goes posted:

That's so crazy. I love the people getting butthurt that it was discovered through datamining and not the "legit" way of dying a specific way with an item that is random to get to get 1 of like 50+ puzzle pieces in a death screen that you would have to screenshot and piece together. Like holy poo poo that's the "legit" way? When the "legit" way of discovering the unlock is that loving obtuse, tedious, and dumb, what does it matter how exactly the person who told you about it discovered it? Either way, some random internet nerd discovered the method to unlock the character and you follow the instructions. It's not like any single person would piece that together "legit" of randomly getting the item and then randomly finding a sacrifice room to get a random puzzle piece, and repeat 50 or so times, so that you can screenshot and piece together the clue in a "legit" way. It's so insane.

Seriously, when I die i'm usually too annoyed to even look closely at the death note. Even if I had the right combo of items to give the clue, I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Generally with big puzzles like this people work together socially to try to solve them. No, one single person wasn't meant to do every part of the puzzle themselves and you're right that it'd be stupid to assume so -- and that's why it's dumb that someone hacked the game to do it themselves instead of people working together socially and naturally.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Waltchelg posted:

you need to die azazel in the second form of satan, isaac to mullibooms in the basement, maggy self bombing in the caves and judas to moms foot in the depths

Can't believe this poo poo actually works. Cobalt did it in the order of Isaac, Maggy, Judas, Azazel and unlocked The Lost. What the gently caress Edmund. I like the ways of finding out how to do it, killing yourself in sacrifice rooms with specific items to get pieces of puzzles and hints, but the actual method to unlock The Lost is loving dumb.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Streamer guy just unlocked The Lost by doing the die to specific things method.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

So It Goes posted:

I mean, people were figuring it out collectively, and we kept learning new things about the death screens and would probably have figured this out fairly quickly. It's sort of sad to have lost that communal discovery aspect of things: the last time that sort of thing happened that I remember, it was Pokemon X and Y being leaked gradually.

I'm glad that I can now get the drat character, but it's still a shame that people's excitement came to a bit of a halt, you know?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

flatluigi posted:

Generally with big puzzles like this people work together socially to try to solve them. No, one single person wasn't meant to do every part of the puzzle themselves and you're right that it'd be stupid to assume so -- and that's why it's dumb that someone hacked the game to do it themselves instead of people working together socially and naturally.

who cares

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GeneX posted:

I mean, people were figuring it out collectively, and we kept learning new things about the death screens and would probably have figured this out fairly quickly. It's a bit of a shame to have lost that communal discovery aspect of things: the last time that sort of thing happened that I remember, it was Pokemon X and Y being leaked gradually.

I'm glad that I can now get the drat character, but it's still a bit of a shame that people's excitement came to a bit of a halt, you know?

It still happens with ARGs and other games with hidden secrets -- people working out the stuff in Fez when it was launched was super fun in a similar way, too.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

flatluigi posted:

It still happens with ARGs and other games with hidden secrets -- people working out the stuff in Fez when it was launched was super fun in a similar way, too.

Well yeah, but I've never actually been involved in one of these group discovery things since X and Y, so it's sort of my go to example.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Found Bob's Brain in the Womb, passed on it. Next room, a gold chest spawns and Bob's Brain was inside. This was exactly as bad of an idea as you'd expect.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Shardix posted:

Found Bob's Brain in the Womb, passed on it. Next room, a gold chest spawns and Bob's Brain was inside. This was exactly as bad of an idea as you'd expect.

Edmund take note: multiple Bob's Brains would be a great challenge for the DLC. "Brainstorm"?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GeneX posted:

Well yeah, but I've never actually been involved in one of these group discovery things since X and Y, so it's sort of my go to example.

No problem, just telling you what to keep an eye out for if you're interested in it all. I wouldn't be surprised if The Witness has hidden secrets if you want to look forward to another game that might get the whole social puzzle solving deal going

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shardix posted:

Exact thing happened to me earlier today.
Or was it last night? Kinda blends together...

But yeah, dual-Brains did a number on Mom's Heart.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Who gives a poo poo about the "social" aspect of solving the puzzle? Like, were you guys actually collecting these puzzle pieces and putting them together? I'm sure it was mostly the same <10 people who would have done all the work of doing that. Either way you, individually, are just going to end up following what crazy nerds discovered, who cares if they found random items for random puzzle pieces or hacked, it's not like you did anything either way.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

flatluigi posted:

On the flip side, I don't like obtuse puzzles created with the express purpose of communal solving because I think a good game should communicate itself within itself, so I view this as circumventing bad design.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

So It Goes posted:

Who gives a poo poo about the "social" aspect of solving the puzzle? Like, were you guys actually collecting these puzzle pieces and putting them together? I'm sure it was mostly the same <10 people who would have done all the work of doing that. Either way you, individually, are just going to end up following what crazy nerds discovered, who cares if they found random items for random puzzle pieces or hacked, it's not like you did anything either way.

Because some people like working together on big project "treasure hunts" like this? It's not like poo poo like this is unique to video games. I mean, I don't care much personally, but I can see how some people see the datamining as ruining the puzzle.

Rocketlex posted:

On the flip side, I don't like obtuse puzzles created with the express purpose of communal solving because I think a good game should communicate itself within itself, so I view this as circumventing bad design.

This character is pure masochism, I don't think anyone who aren't specifically devoted to the game is going to care about him, so I don't see how implementing him through an extreme community puzzle is such a problem.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

So It Goes posted:

Goon doesn't see the appeal of working with other people socially, news at 11

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

flatluigi posted:

Wow, you sure showed that guy who paid ten dollars to post on a website!

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

flatluigi posted:

Goon thinks video game is very important, news at 11

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Because some people like working together on big project "treasure hunts" like this? It's not like poo poo like this is unique to video games. I mean, I don't care much personally, but I can see how some people see the datamining as ruining the puzzle.

I perfectly agree if the person complaining was actually solving the puzzle and collecting the pieces or whatever. If someone was just reading a reddit thread of what other people were doing, then it doesn't matter at all, either way some random internet person found some obtuse thing through methods that are beyond my comprehension and/or patience. Maybe the biggest disconnect here is that I'm wrong and the people upset about the datamining actually were collecting the puzzle pieces or whatever? Like, the "social" impact of me reading posts of how someone is collecting puzzle pieces or datamining is exactly the same, i.e. someone else is doing crazy poo poo and informing everyone else obtuse unlock sequences.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 9, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rocketlex posted:

Is it really circumventing bad design if it's wholly intentional in how obtuse it is? You could say that it's just bad design then but I disagree. The entire reason the game got so crazy popular is because it's a success story of independent publishing pushed out onto the internet, and the reason arg-style mega puzzles work is because the game is big enough to always have people willing to work on them. The two go hand in hand. The way you unlock the secret is contrived in the "that kid whose uncle works at Nintendo" way, yeah, but it's supposed to be and I think that's what keeps it from being bad.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goons attempt chain of tepid burns, news at 11

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't think they're going to be able to report all of this news and also have time for weather and sports guys.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

flatluigi posted:

The problem is more that...like...what's the experience going to be for someone coming to this game in ten years? They'll either just never find it or have to dig through an old wiki that may not exist anymore. Designing games just for the immediate playing experience just...isn't great from a game design perspective, especially for a single-player game like this that isn't actually built around an online community.

It's the Minecraft problem of games feeling like they don't need to explain themselves because players will do it for them. Generally speaking, Binding of Isaac is actually good about avoiding this and it's one of the reasons I love it. This just seems like a bit of a misstep.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Rocketlex posted:

It's the Minecraft problem of games feeling like they don't need to explain themselves because players will do it for them. Generally speaking, Binding of Isaac is actually good about avoiding this and it's one of the reasons I love it. This just seems like a bit of a misstep.

This isn't comparable to Minecraft at all. It's not tons of crafting recipes to find out, it's one super end game thing that only people really dedicated even care about.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Do you guys have any weird OCD or rituals in this game? I don't know why but for me ever since I first started playing this game I go down to the next floor by touching the cellar door from its top, every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Rocketlex posted:

Generally speaking, Binding of Isaac is actually good about avoiding this and it's one of the reasons I love it.

Yeah, I keep seeing these complaints about how it doesn't explain itself, and it's just retarded. Anyone with half-decent critical thinking skills should be able to figure out what any of the items in the game do by playing around with them.