Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I'm re-reading Part 7, and I was curious about something. In the first chapter you see Sandman's stand jut out of his arm for a second before he's instantly on the opposite end of a chase scene. Considering In A Silent Way is all about sound, I'm guessing this is Araki-style changing-his-mind-about-what-a-stand-does? Also, Gyro got a penalty for using a weapon against another rider in the first stage, but didn't Stephen say right at the start that weapons are cool so long as no crime is being committed?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I'm re-reading Part 7, and I was curious about something. In the first chapter you see Sandman's stand jut out of his arm for a second before he's instantly on the opposite end of a chase scene. Considering In A Silent Way is all about sound, I'm guessing this is Araki-style changing-his-mind-about-what-a-stand-does? Also, Gyro got a penalty for using a weapon against another rider in the first stage, but didn't Stephen say right at the start that weapons are cool so long as no crime is being committed?

You're probably right about Sandman. As for weapons, Stephen said riders could use them to as defense against animals or whatever, not to attack other riders.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

King Crimson is my favorite stand design. He's just so angry. :argh:

A GOTH EGG
Jul 22, 2012

is this the secret to easter

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Considering In A Silent Way is all about sound, I'm guessing this is Araki-style changing-his-mind-about-what-a-stand-does?

Things Araki changed his mind about despite showing/foreshadowing it otherwise:

- Sandman's Stand
- Pucci's C-Moon doesn't age things anymore
- Erina didn't escape in DIO's coffin
- Josuke didn't travel back in time
- Giorno never comes to Florida
- Valentine is now buff
- Requiem Stands awakened by stabbing a stand with an arrow

...aaaaaand others, which nobody really cares about, because JoJo never has and never will have a consistent plot. :toot:

Comment aside: I'm so glad Gyro lost his stand very soon after getting it, because normal Steel Balls are so much more rad.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Don't even try to tell me bad AMVs don't own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKL-HRCghrU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Exactly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Torquemadras posted:

There is no evidence that was ever Josuke and not just some dude.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Torquemadras posted:

Things Araki changed his mind about despite showing/foreshadowing it otherwise:

- Sandman's Stand
- Pucci's C-Moon doesn't age things anymore
- Erina didn't escape in DIO's coffin
- Giorno never comes to Florida
- Valentine is now buff
- Requiem Stands awakened by stabbing a stand with an arrow

...aaaaaand others, which nobody really cares about, because JoJo never has and never will have a consistent plot. :toot:

Comment aside: I'm so glad Gyro lost his stand very soon after getting it, because normal Steel Balls are so much more rad.

Don't forget we never got THE RETURN OF SANTANA, because Stands became the hotness. Though I like to think it's because the Speedwagon foundation is actually dramatically more competent than any other supernatural research group in any other fiction.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Beef Waifu posted:

There is no evidence that was ever Josuke and not just some dude.

Where does this come from? Why would people assume time travel from this story?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

It's just such an obvious set up. Plus, really? People wouldn't expect time travel in a series where every main villain from Part 3 on has time manipulation powers?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Because the guy that rescues baby Josuke looks [i]so much]/i] like Josuke himself that, even given he is trying to look like him, it was originally intended to be Josuke back in time. My personal feeling is I think Araki intentionally left it vague, since as a weekly mangaka he doesn't have the time to plot out the entire part in advance, but decided to go another direction, so it's just a guy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kurtofan posted:

The dude who saves Josuke has Josuke's clothes in addition to his hair. He shows up wearing normal clothes in the middle of a snowstorm, and is injured. Those hint at it being Josuke from the future. It's really pretty simple.

And people assume time travel because there is already time travel, just a different kind of time travel. It's not a huge stretch to think that Araki changed his mind about what exactly Kira's stand's ability would be.

I don't think it's a problem, in fact I love that it's just some guy that happened to be in the right place with the right hair at the right time. But it's not some insanely convoluted fan theory or whatever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not a convoluted theory, but there's no hard evidence one way or the other that it's him or that it was ever planned to be him. Citing that as a source of things Araki changed his mind on when there are a million other things with far more evidence (For gently caress's sake, Annasui changes from a woman to a man) is stupid. Characters taking from other people and looking exactly like them is something that happens all of the time in fiction.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's just a Japanese student with a pompadour haircut and a school uniform

WickedHate posted:

It's just such an obvious set up. Plus, really? People wouldn't expect time travel in a series where every main villain from Part 3 on has time manipulation powers?

At the time of publication, Dio was the only character with time related powers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kurtofan posted:

It's just a Japanese student with a pompadour haircut and a school uniform

At the time of publication, Dio was the only character with time related powers.

Jotaro too. But yeah, It's really not a far fetched idea that Josuke idolized his savior so much to copy his entire style.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oops, yeah, forgot Jotaro, but yeah that's the same power :v:

Backstories like that are dime a dozen in manga, you've got Gohan wearing the same clothes as Goku used to wear as a kid, Luffy having Shanks's straw hat...
It's just way more likely than time travel.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

It's not a convoluted theory, but there's no hard evidence one way or the other that it's him or that it was ever planned to be him. Citing that as a source of things Araki changed his mind on when there are a million other things with far more evidence (For gently caress's sake, Annasui changes from a woman to a man) is stupid. Characters taking from other people and looking exactly like them is something that happens all of the time in fiction.

Eh, bad example probably. To me, it was just blindingly obvious it was supposed to be Josuke himself - otherwise, it would be a loose thread: super mysterious stranger who looks 1:1 like Josuke appears and inspires him to do good and have a sweet hairstyle... And that just randomly happens? If it's so random, why the injury? Why, from what's visible, the same face? It's all stuff that's kind of pointless if it's not meant to be Josuke - it looks like an obvious plot thread left hanging. No, I don't think it's stupid to cite this one, even though there are far more obvious retcons...

I'm a little sad we got the universe reset in Part 6, actually. It means we're never going to see any of the Part 4-6 JoJos in action again (except maaaaaaybeeeeee Irene?). Too bad, really, but JoJo marches on. :toot:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Torquemadras posted:

Eh, bad example probably. To me, it was just blindingly obvious it was supposed to be Josuke himself - otherwise, it would be a loose thread: super mysterious stranger who looks 1:1 like Josuke appears and inspires him to do good and have a sweet hairstyle... And that just randomly happens?

God knows nothing ever randomly happens in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for no reason, especially not in Part 4 the goofiest loving part of the series where a million shenanigans occur that never tie into anything other than some dude being trigger happy with an arrow.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I like to think Josuke is still fighting random whacky stand users all the time.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

God knows nothing ever randomly happens in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for no reason, especially not in Part 4 the goofiest loving part of the series where a million shenanigans occur that never tie into anything other than some dude being trigger happy with an arrow.

But that's exactly it - all these things DO have a reason. The reason is most of the time that Josuke and gang are loving around, and that's one of the best things about Part 4. The appearance of the mysterious stranger just strikes me as too significant in many details to be randomly thrown in.

Oh well, it's all guessing anyway, and we're not gonna see Part 4 Josuke again, so whatevs :toot:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It works better as being just some random guy instead of some Harry Potter time paradox shenanigans. I think it makes it more meaningful that way.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It works better as being just some random guy instead of some Harry Potter time paradox shenanigans. I think it makes it more meaningful that way.

Sure, I think so too. Maybe that's the exact reason Araki didn't pick up that plot point again. Never said it wasn't for the best! Just seems to me it was supposed to be like that at first.
Hell, I really don't mind all the retconning that is going on, because the author knows how to hit all the right notes, and if the planned plot is in the way of that, gently caress the plot.

Also, I don't think Harry Potter time paradox shenanigans means much in a series with Bites the Dust and King Crimson...

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The mysterious Pompadour-user that young Josuke encountered is actually Josuke from the previous universe entering the next through Made in Heaven.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The mysterious pompadour-user is actually the protagonist of The 7th Stand User if you picked the Distinctive Male character.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Waffleman_ posted:

The mysterious pompadour-user is actually the protagonist of The 7th Stand User if you picked the Distinctive Male character.

Wouldn't they have been too young to be highschool age when Josuke was saved? (Yes I know that game shouldn't be taken seriously)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Broseph Brostar posted:

Wouldn't they have been too young to be highschool age when Josuke was saved? (Yes I know that game shouldn't be taken seriously)

Jotaro hasn't aged a day since Part 3 once Part 4 began and even de-aged for Part 6 so the protagonist of SSU totally could've been Josuke's savior.

Alternatively, Josuke got realy sick around the end of Part 3 so the protagonist probably would've been around high school age.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Butt Ghost posted:

The mysterious Pompadour-user
Jojo Part 9: That's The Word. Enemy [Pompadour users] fill the streets of Neo Morioh.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm pretty sure this is the mysterious pomphaver

He's even got a stand

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

- Valentine is now buff

No, the fat one jumped dimension and gave D4C to a hot Valentine because he was dying of a heart attack from being too lardy. It makes perfect sense.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurain posted:

No, the fat one jumped dimension and gave D4C to a hot Valentine because he was dying of a heart attack from being too lardy. It makes perfect sense.

Actually he did it because Lucy kind of fatally wounded him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

By slowly loading his donuts with more and more sugar.
Is she the true villain of SBR?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Actually that's Johnny. He might also be the villain of Jojolion if his wish to the corpse gave the Higashikatas that illness.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

No, they'd have been exactly high school age, since the flashback takes place during part 3. The whole reason Josuke had to go to the hospital was that he was going through the same thing as Holly.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

Actually that's Johnny. He might also be the villain of Jojolion if his wish to the corpse gave the Higashikatas that illness.

Wasn't the illness that his wife had a different one? Johnny's wife had a disease that made her skin rock-like and folded like origami; but the Higashikatas' disease only has the stoneskin. They're probably related in some way, but I'm not sure they're exactly the same.

Speaking of JoJolion - I was kinda blindsided by the sudden arrival of rockpeople... It's all amnesia, detective story, mysterious Higashikatas, and suddenly, BAM, rockman. Maybe it's a reference to the Pillarmen. Still curious what the hell was up with that, there will probably be more around where that came from...

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Guys, Araki said y'all are loving dumb.

No source, but please trust me on this one. I swear!!!

Torquemadras posted:

Wasn't the illness that his wife had a different one? Johnny's wife had a disease that made her skin rock-like and folded like origami; but the Higashikatas' disease only has the stoneskin. They're probably related in some way, but I'm not sure they're exactly the same.

Speaking of JoJolion - I was kinda blindsided by the sudden arrival of rockpeople... It's all amnesia, detective story, mysterious Higashikatas, and suddenly, BAM, rockman. Maybe it's a reference to the Pillarmen. Still curious what the hell was up with that, there will probably be more around where that came from...
I am speechless, his wife is called, surprise, Rina Higashikata. It's probably the same thing you dunce.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 9, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Uznare posted:

I am speechless, his wife is called, surprise, Rina Higashikata. It's probably the same thing you dunce.

I didn't mean the people, I meant the diseases... As in, Rina's disease had the origami thing, but the disease in present day only has the stone skin. I'm not sure why that detail is different!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

Oops, yeah, forgot Jotaro, but yeah that's the same power :v:

Backstories like that are dime a dozen in manga, you've got Gohan wearing the same clothes as Goku used to wear as a kid, Luffy having Shanks's straw hat...
It's just way more likely than time travel.

Gohan actually prefers to dress like Piccolo because the alien who tries to conquer the planet is a better dad to him.

• Locked thread