Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153322400567519&id=14038332518

"King Crimson - Robert Fripp and Jakko Jakszyk are working on new King Crimson material this week..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Listening to R-Kive right now. It's funny listening to Solsbury Hill and Follow You Follow Me back to back, you can hear how similar the riffs are. Mike Rutherford definitely "borrowed" a bit from Peter Gabriel.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Relayer came! Haven't had time to listen yet, but I'll edit my impressions in when I do.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henry Cow are playing a reunion show to commemorate Lindsay Cooper, any of you dudes in the UK really should go along to this: http://www.serious.org.uk/events/info/henry-cow-music-for-films-news-from-babel-and-oh-moscow-play-the-music-of-l

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Relayer came! Haven't had time to listen yet, but I'll edit my impressions in when I do.

Anybody have any impressions of this yet? I've heard some of the battle effects from Gates weren't found on the master tapes, so they're missing from the new mix.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pinacotheca posted:

Anybody have any impressions of this yet? I've heard some of the battle effects from Gates weren't found on the master tapes, so they're missing from the new mix.
That's true. They even talk about it in the included notes. Couldn't find them anywhere. It's kind of a notable omission, but it doesn't really ruin it, it's just different, you know? If I hadn't heard it with the sounds I wouldn't know there was anything missing, because it still sounds good, but having heard it with the sounds I can't not miss them.

The rest sounds better, although not incredibly much so. It sounds crisper around the edges, a lot better defined, and a bit... warmer? I'm no audiophile, so I can't give a nice technical review, I'm sorry!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

It's hard to express how awesome it is to finally have a version of Gates with the final chord not being cut off prematurely.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the new Pink Floyd "album" is really underwhelming.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Relayer impressions

Thanks for the write-up! I think I'll hold off on it for now, anyway.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Attitude Indicator posted:

the new Pink Floyd "album" is really underwhelming.

The reviewer from the Independent agrees:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ng-9840601.html

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ha I love all the angry comments from floyd dads

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Are any of Floyd's post-Waters albums good? Or at least decent?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Seventh Arrow posted:

Are any of Floyd's post-Waters albums good? Or at least decent?

Not really. Division Bell is ok. There's a world of good music out there though. No need to waste time on bad Pink Floyd.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Division Bell would be great if it was boiled down to the length of a short LP.

Basically, I'd say if it went

Cluster One (edited down a bit)
What Do You Want From Me
Poles Apart
Marooned
Wearing the Inside Out
Keep Talking
High Hopes

which comes out to 44:23 before you edit down Cluster One a bit, you've got the starting point of a pretty drat good record---moreso if you trim down the other songs a bit. It wouldn't be the match of anything they did before 1980, but it wouldn't be the bloated mess it is now.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I actually like all the songs on Division Bell, but they have a tendency to drag on a bit. That album just needed some energy and some editing down. High Hopes was glorious though. Then again, I guess I'm easy to please, because I also lIke A Momentary Lapse of Reason and On an Island. Haven't heard the new one yet though, but I plan to.

I'm interviewing Steve Hackett tomorrow for my radio show (which will air later this week). Any questions I should ask him?

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 9, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

I actually like all the songs on Division Bell, but they have a tendency to drag on a bit. That album just needed some energy and some editing down. High Hopes was glorious though. Then again, I guess I'm easy to please, because I also lIke A Momentary Lapse of Reason and On an Island. Haven't heard the new one yet though, but I plan to.

I'm interviewing Steve Hackett tomorrow for my radio show (which will air later this week). Any questions I should ask him?

I really liked On An Island, probably more than Division Bell.

I have no idea what I'd say to Hackett, beyond "drat, you can play."

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ask him if GTR will ever get back together again :haw:

But seriously, maybe what kind of amp he used on Nursery Cryme. His tone was downright glorious on that album.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Gianthogweed posted:

I'd ask him how he dealt with Tony Banks' keyboards harmonically and tonally. Like, would he try and play different inversions of the same chords, or only play specific notes in Tony's chords, or would he play something that contrasted? Same with the tone. Would he try and compliment them a lot or would he try and contrast them, or was it a mix?

If Tony Banks is a sore subject (understable) then I'd like to know how he came up with the idea to implement sweep picking and tapping when he was one of the first ones to do it in recorded rock music.

Hope those didn't sound too geeky.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Gianthogweed posted:

Ask him if he has any bootlegs or studio demos from the 1970-7 era that would be worth making public.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Ask him if he invented tapping or if he lifted it from someone else, and if it's annoying to have EVH get the credit for it.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Interview was canceled sadly. I'm going to see if I can reschedule though. Will definitely raise those questions.

edit:
Just finished the rescheduled interview. Only had a half hour though so I didn't get to all the questions unfortunately.
http://youtu.be/929lOJNw4yE

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 12, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Here is a cool article that goes through each bit of Fripp's current live setup:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/rig-tour-robert-fripp-609374

My favorite thing is that King Crimson's "mellotron" is now the iPad app ThumbJam.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

It's not REALLY prog, but Daniel Lanois' new album "Flesh and Machine" is really, really loving good. Total headphone album. In some respects I kinda wish it was more of what Eno's "Small Craft on a Milk Sea" was doing.

Edit: man, I mangled that last sentence. I meant I wish "Small Craft on a Milk Sea" was more like "Flesh and Machine"

Yeah, unless guitar-based ambient instrumentals falls under some kind of Fripp Rule technicality that gets it under the Progressive Rock big tent, this isn't prog music, but this is an awesome album. There's a lot that sounds like the Sling Blade soundtrack.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Earwicker posted:

Here is a cool article that goes through each bit of Fripp's current live setup:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/rig-tour-robert-fripp-609374

My favorite thing is that King Crimson's "mellotron" is now the iPad app ThumbJam.

iPad is the way to go for mellotron, although I'm surprised that he didn't go with the M3000 app (although I think you can adjust release times and poo poo with ThumbJam which might be the appeal)

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i'm coming into this thread to say jethro tull owns bones, that is all

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ThePutty posted:

*whimsical flute solo*

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Attitude Indicator posted:

*whimsical flute solo*

"offkey shouting hoarsely"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

iPad is the way to go for mellotron, although I'm surprised that he didn't go with the M3000 app (although I think you can adjust release times and poo poo with ThumbJam which might be the appeal)

The mellotron on thumbjam is not bad but VST's like SampleTron are much better imo

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Just noticed that Hawkwind's The Hall of the Mountain Grill has been added to Spotify.

I didn't think anything could top In Search of Space. I was wrong.

ironberry
Oct 14, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153322400567519&id=14038332518

"King Crimson - Robert Fripp and Jakko Jakszyk are working on new King Crimson material this week..."

New King Crimson short live album on January 13th, including Starless. Announcement video by Robert and Jakko at the link:

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4951

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ThePutty posted:

I will probably catch flak itt for saying this but IMO several of the early Jethro Tull albums have a certain amount of "heart" I guess I'd say that is really lacking on the albums of their prog contemporaries. I mean I love just about every late 60's/early 70's prog album that is out there, but there is something just so warm and beautiful and sad in a song like Wondring Aloud that I have never found in other prog rock from that period

It's not just the words and "woodier" arrangements but more Ian Anderson's whole style of singing and presence in the songs, it makes the vocals in Yes and Genesis seem so distant and aloof in comparison.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 21, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

I will probably catch flak itt for saying this but IMO several of the early Jethro Tull albums have a certain amount of "heart" I guess I'd say that is really lacking on the albums of their prog contemporaries. I mean I love just about every late 60's/early 70's prog album that is out there, but there is something just so warm and beautiful and sad in a song like Wondring Aloud that I have never found in other prog rock from that period

It's not just the words and "woodier" arrangements but more Ian Anderson's whole style of singing and presence in the songs, it makes the vocals in Yes and Genesis seem so distant and aloof in comparison.

Aqualung in particular is a really well produced record, too.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

ironberry posted:

New King Crimson short live album on January 13th, including Starless. Announcement video by Robert and Jakko at the link:

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4951

Seeing them play it in person three times was better :)

ironberry
Oct 14, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

Who would have guessed. :)

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Rust Martialis posted:

40 minutes is not enough, unless they are saving up for something. why so short? glad I saw them on the recent tour. I was speechless after the show.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

goddammit, 40 minutes is a totally acceptable length of vinyl, it shouldn't be a mini album or what the gently caress ever

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Allen Wren posted:

goddammit, 40 minutes is a totally acceptable length of vinyl, it shouldn't be a mini album or what the gently caress ever

I'm guessing that it means it'll be only five tracks or so. "Level Five" tour EP was 45 minutes long if I remember and had only five tracks on it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

I'm guessing that it means it'll be only five tracks or so. "Level Five" tour EP was 45 minutes long if I remember and had only five tracks on it.

Level 5 ruled

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Allen Wren posted:

calm the gently caress down, junior. I don't listen to vinyl, and I want as much of the show as I saw which was more than 40 minutes. There was not a weak moment. Its a live album, and they have tapes.

The actual 3 new tracks they are working on are new songs. That'd be a fine ep. But the live album should be longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Doesn't DGM release endless streams of live shows anyways? I'm sure bootlegs are out there too