Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Anias posted:

I would be super happy if harry just said "Molly is awesome" and let her decide what she wants/needs. She's come a long way from teenager in danger.

I expect we're going to see that as a major subplot in a future Molly/Harry book where he needs to come to terms with her new status and his probable "if she wasn't involved with me" misplaced guilt. Although whether Molly ends up resolving her desire for Harry or not is a toss up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
The third of M.L. Brennan's Generation V book came out a couple days ago, and I just finished it. I've been enjoying the series pretty well, and it started off decently strong and has gotten better. The main character's a young 20something vampire, and the vampires here are born instead of made, starting off mostly human and becoming less and less human as they get older, with a family of very old, powerful vampires who rule over something of a supernatural feudal state within the northeastern United States, and are all hundreds of years old and are all creepy, alien, inhuman sociopathic monsters.

He wasn't raised among them for a large part of his childhood as a sort of social experiment by his mother to produce a vampire that can blend in with humans better, and is scared shitless he's going to grow up into some sociopathic monster that views people as food, so he's gone out of his way to try and be a rebel and drink the bare minimum amount of blood and never eat meat and move out and avoid any contact he can with his family, while they bemusedly tolerate this as something of a childish fit since 20-something is still considered child to them and he's pretty much hitting vampire puberty and still is mostly human. She does a good job at writing his family - she tricks you into sympathising with some of them, only to nail in the fact that they're killing people to stay alive and they don't care in the slightest, while simultaneously making them allies of the main character because they're still his family.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 6, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

fordan posted:

I expect we're going to see that as a major subplot in a future Molly/Harry book where he needs to come to terms with her new status and his probable "if she wasn't involved with me" misplaced guilt. Although whether Molly ends up resolving her desire for Harry or not is a toss up.

Really all Molly has to do is wait. Karrin and Michael are the two big hangups that Harry has, and Molly and Harry will outlive them both by a hundred years at a minimum.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Wolpertinger posted:

The third of M.L. Brennan's Generation V book came out a couple days ago, and I just finished it. I've been enjoying the series pretty well, and it started off decently strong and has gotten better. The main character's a young 20something vampire, and the vampires here are born instead of made, starting off mostly human and becoming less and less human as they get older, with a family of very old, powerful vampires who rule over something of a supernatural feudal state within the northeastern United States, and are all hundreds of years old and are all creepy, alien, inhuman sociopathic monsters.

He wasn't raised among them for a large part of his childhood as a sort of social experiment by his mother to produce a vampire that can blend in with humans better, and is scared shitless he's going to grow up into some sociopathic monster that views people as food, so he's gone out of his way to try and be a rebel and drink the bare minimum amount of blood and never eat meat and move out and avoid any contact he can with his family, while they bemusedly tolerate this as something of a childish fit since 20-something is still considered child to them and he's pretty much hitting vampire puberty and still is mostly human. She does a good job at writing his family - she tricks you into sympathising with some of them, only to nail in the fact that they're killing people to stay alive and they don't care in the slightest, while simultaneously making them allies of the main character because they're still his family.

I really like these books; they're little and fun without being horrifically bogged down with nerdy references or grimdark shocks. There are some dark moments, especially concerning Fort's family members, but the overall tone always stays fairly light and enjoyable.

They're short and easy reads, but, they're a lot of fun.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Just as a reminder, Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London 5) comes out on the 13th :woop:

Speed edit: In the UK, at least

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Just as a reminder, Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London 5) comes out on the 13th :woop:

As far as Amazon is concerned I live wherever the book I want is coming out first.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Wolpertinger posted:

As far as Amazon is concerned I live wherever the book I want is coming out first.

To Amazon, I am a globetrotting adventurer, never staying in one place for too long, skipping across continents at the drop of a hat.

In reality, I am a man who wants to read his wizard books right now.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

mistaya posted:

Really all Molly has to do is wait. Karrin and Michael are the two big hangups that Harry has, and Molly and Harry will outlive them both by a hundred years at a minimum.

I'm not so sure about that, historically where Dresden is involved, the Fairy Princess' haven't exactly had the best job security.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

immoral_ posted:

I'm not so sure about that, historically where Dresden is involved, the Fairy Princess' haven't exactly had the best job security.

Dresden isn't exactly a good risk for a life insurance policy himself, for that matter.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

It's actually unembargoed so the release date is "whenever you have stock" - the first signing event is tomorrow at Forbidden Planet (I'm holding out until the first Waterstones event as they always have the extra Waterstones only short story)

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

He's only died the one time, can't they cut him a little slack?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ookiimarukochan posted:

It's actually unembargoed so the release date is "whenever you have stock" - the first signing event is tomorrow at Forbidden Planet (I'm holding out until the first Waterstones event as they always have the extra Waterstones only short story)

Well time for me to head to waterstones

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ben Aaronovitch pro-click.

If you're in the US, they will murder you with shipping because they only do air mail.

Another source for signed (not numbered) copies. Goldsboro shipping prices are a little better, but international shipping sucks in general so you're not getting out of this for less than $35 no matter what, assuming you want a signed copy.

Or this, if you just want to read the book and don't care about signatures and all that jazz.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 8, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

OneTwentySix posted:

He's only died the one time, can't they cut him a little slack?

Twice actually, if you count dying of poisoned mushrooms in Grave Peril! (He got better.)

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Well gently caress, I just burnt through all 5 books of the Alex Versus series within a span of 3 days and now I got nothing to read.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm rereading the series, and I just love how Butcher does chapters. I always want to read 'just one more' before going to sleep, then it's loving morning.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm rereading the series, and I just love how Butcher does chapters. I always want to read 'just one more' before going to sleep, then it's loving morning.

One more chapter. Just one more chapter... one more... oh sun's up, okay fine one more chapter and I'll go to bed... WHAT DO YOU MEAN HARRY'S DEAD MUST READ NEXT CHAPTER WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NO CHAPTERS LEFT?!?!??????????

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Robzilla posted:

Well gently caress, I just burnt through all 5 books of the Alex Versus series within a span of 3 days and now I got nothing to read.

Here's a couple other decent urban fantasy series if you're desperate, I'm always digging through Amazon to find decent-to-good offerings.. The ones that I can think of offhand are M.L Brennan's Generation V (which i just toss a review up just a little back), Craig Schaefer's Daniel Faust series, K.A. Stewart's A Devil in the Details, Mike Carey's The Devil You Know, Stephen Blackmoore's Dead Things, Alex Hughes' Clean, Elliot James' Charming, Harry Connolly's Twenty Palaces, Seth Skorkowsky's Damoren, Daniel O'Malley's The Rook, Rachel Aaron's Nice Dragons Finish Last, Max Gladstone's Three Parts Dead, Paul Cornell's London Falling.. and probably more I can't think of at the moment.

It's not until I actually list them like this do I realize just how much decent urban fantasy is getting made compared to, say, five years ago, when Dresden Files was practically the only option. I can't find anything decent to read right now though, unfortunately - anyone found any good or at least decent recent offerings in the meantime? There's so many completely godawful ones on Amazon that it's a ton of work to find the good ones.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 9, 2014

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mike Carey's Felix Castor books were decent, I think.

I didn't like Stephen Blackmore's Dead Things, though. It's like he was aiming for the thing where the early Sandman Slim books manage to be so ridiculously over the top that they cycle around from horrible to being kind of fun to read, but he couldn't quite manage it and just ended up with 'trying too hard to be edgy'.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Khizan posted:

Mike Carey's Felix Castor books were decent, I think.

I didn't like Stephen Blackmore's Dead Things, though. It's like he was aiming for the thing where the early Sandman Slim books manage to be so ridiculously over the top that they cycle around from horrible to being kind of fun to read, but he couldn't quite manage it and just ended up with 'trying too hard to be edgy'.

I didn't really get too into Sandman Slim myself, I think I read the first book and was just too eh to pick up the second. It came off like he was trying too hard to make the main character TOTALLY BADASS AND HARDCORE.

I can definitely see where you'd get turned off Dead Things seeming a bit too edgy and grimdark, though. But, it's practically a genre staple to make the urban fantasy protagonist suffer like hell, even if it did go a bit far :v:. The next book scaled it back a bit, though.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 9, 2014

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Even the American Kindle edition is later than the UK release, WTF?
I'd order it from Amazon.uk if it wasn't twice as much as the US release.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

On my third series reread, I finally caught wise to this. If I want to stop, I need to stop in the middle of a chapter instead of going to the end for precisely that reason.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

daggerdragon posted:

One more chapter. Just one more chapter... one more... oh sun's up, okay fine one more chapter and I'll go to bed... WHAT DO YOU MEAN HARRY'S DEAD MUST READ NEXT CHAPTER WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NO CHAPTERS LEFT?!?!??????????

Yeah, that...and when I first got into series and finished my first read through guess what book had just released? That's right, Changes. Jim Butcher is an evil evil man.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
My girlfriend, a few minutes after midnight on a Tuesday: Just finished Turn Coat!

Me: Nice! You should start Changes, it's a hell of a ride!

*10 minutes pass*

GF: THAT WAS A TERRIBLE SUGGESTION. HE HAS A KID. WHAT. I had to keep reading, I thought it was a joke.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Even the American Kindle edition is later than the UK release, WTF?
I'd order it from Amazon.uk if it wasn't twice as much as the US release.

It's because the UK physical release is hardback, and the US physical release is paperback, and the Kindle versions are priced in line. Dumb, but understandable.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Just finished Foxglove Summer. Pretty awesome. I'm going to be really interested in what happens to the journalist, if she's going to be recurring. Also, staffs! I wonder if Nightingale will let him keep one

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
pretty sure she was a one-off - it's more likely we'll see not-Nicole again, but as far as follow-ups go I think it's most likely we hear about the Faerie queen given how she's the same "thing" as Molly is. As for the staff, Peter now knows what happened in the "last battle" in WW2 - keep forgetting the name, something long and German - which I suspect would count as the end of his innocence even if Lesley does bang on at the end about how he doesn't know what is really going on.
Did you go to the Forbidden Planet signing or is the book out and available everywhere? I only ask because I have the feeling that I was the only goon-y person at the Waterstones event.

go fly a bike
May 22, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Still waiting for Foxglove Summer but until then Ben Aaronovitch posted a short story on his blog: The Home Crowd Advantage (no spoilers in it)

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
That short story was great. I wasn't going to try and get around the living in the US thing. But, now I really want more London cop wizard stories.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Has Jim started the new book yet or is he still working on cinder spires?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oroborus posted:

Has Jim started the new book yet or is he still working on cinder spires?

Last I heard he was wrapping up the first Cinder Spires book. I expect it'll be out in the spring, after which work on Peace Talks will begin in earnest.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Ornamented Death posted:

Last I heard he was wrapping up the first Cinder Spires book. I expect it'll be out in the spring, after which work on Peace Talks will begin in earnest.

So I guess realistically we're talking 2016?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oroborus posted:

So I guess realistically we're talking 2016?

Yep. I suspect we'll be getting one book from Butcher each year, alternating between Dresden and Cinder Spires.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Ornamented Death posted:

Yep. I suspect we'll be getting one book from Butcher each year, alternating between Dresden and Cinder Spires.

I hope that this isn't true-- and I doubt it is, given his track-record with Alera. He seems to write faster when he has more than one project. He was putting out about two books per year back then, if I'm not mistaken.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Blasphemeral posted:

I hope that this isn't true-- and I doubt it is, given his track-record with Alera. He seems to write faster when he has more than one project. He was putting out about two books per year back then, if I'm not mistaken.

That was when Jim had an easier time writing The Dresden Files though. He now has to keep track of a lot more to write Dresden, on top of all of the other projects/conventions that he now attends.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
Hey so I'm like half way through my character sketches for Summer Knight. I thought I'd throw up a link. Toot toot is the newest one so he's at the top. Maeve is tomorrow. http://www.sorcery101.net/tag/summer-knight/

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

KellHound posted:

Hey so I'm like half way through my character sketches for Summer Knight. I thought I'd throw up a link. Toot toot is the newest one so he's at the top. Maeve is tomorrow. http://www.sorcery101.net/tag/summer-knight/

Those are fantastic. Can't wait to see Maeve.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

why oh WHY posted:

Those are fantastic. Can't wait to see Maeve.

Thanks, I did Grave Peril a few years ago and collected them all in a pdf that's free in my store. I will definitely finish Summer Knight and I think I have time to do Death Masks too before I have to get to work on my next book for Dark Horse.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

Did you go to the Forbidden Planet signing
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Blasphemeral posted:

Jim can't manage one Dresden book a year anymore; I doubt he will somehow change that plus find the time to write another whole book each year.