Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Personally I would rather have had the motives & rules behind sburb's algorithms on whether or not a death is either just or heroic have remained a mystery. I think it is a little more compelling having Rose's death was judged heroic by some kind of mysterious, abstract higher power, rather than Rose's death was judged heroic explicitly because of X, Y, and Z. It just seems like it's adding more loopholes for the characters to work around dying and giving the author more chances to write himself into a bad spot.

Like with the prototyping of the sprites, we know that they tend to gravitate towards doomed or dead things, but they also sometimes accept other things as well??? I think the open-endedness of that is a lot more interesting than "Here is a list of things sprites are compatible with, and here's a list of things of which they aren't." It just seems to take away some of the magic of the story, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dolash posted:

I'd say it could be as simple as being "corrupt" is not a matter of willingly becoming evil but simply becoming a villain at all, even if it's by mind-control.

As I see it, the whole Heroic/Just thing has to do with your actions, rather than the motivation(s) behind them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GeneX posted:

As I see it, the whole Heroic/Just thing has to do with your actions, rather than the motivation(s) behind them.

Which is pretty unfair, but then so is the rest of Sburb so it fits.

frozentreasure posted:

Page 8888 is coming up.

How far away is it? Because that's the perfect page number for a certain dead character to make a long awaited reappearance. I am talking, of course, about Tavros.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The last update ended on page 8883.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Which is pretty unfair, but then so is the rest of Sburb so it fits.

It's certainly draconian, though I'm not sure it's really unfair. Don't get yourself killed, you know?

EDIT: I think it's high time we got more Vriska, I can actually stomach her brand of drama.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sburb is a game where you and your friends get to become heroes and go on quests and have destinies and change the world. The better you do, the more the game makes your existence resemble a high-stakes fantasy drama. At a certain point, you reach a level where dying for a stupid, anticlimactic reason becomes impossible - the end of your story is guaranteed to be meaningful. (Or, at least, it's guaranteed to satisfy a fancy computer program's heuristics for determining whether your deaths were meaningful.)

The idea of a custom-made monomyth simulator is the plot device that got this whole thing started back when its true nature began to reveal itself back in Act 2 or 3. But Hussie has never been one to conform to that kind of structure. It's not just the sheer goofiness and ignominy of the proceedings, either; Sburb fills its players' lives with senseless loss and pain, kills their parents, destroys the world, and contributes to the reign of terror of a big green multiversal Lucifer powered by predestination. Homestuck is not the kind of story Sburb would write; instead it is about escaping Sburb, defeating it - beating the game, you might say.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I say, picture Homestuck a bit like a series of Let's Plays. Since every session is different and has panned out differently, they're of course different kinds.

Beforus Trolls are like those Minecraft or Skyrim LPs that have a fuckzillion parts and never finishes.

Alternia Trolls are the day one LPs that skip cutscenes and probably tutorials, and then try to get the whole game done as quickly as possible so they can move onto LPing the next AAA game.

John's session is a blind playthrough that got hosed over by listening to someone he shouldn't, and maybe downloading a bad mod.

Jane's session is an old adventure game that tripped the copy protection, missed a crucial item, ran into an early bug, or some other thing that hosed over the playthrough. But they're not restarting, god damnit!

And Caliborn's is an absurdly hard challenge run that soon proved to not actually be that fun to watch, probably because the LPer is an insufferable screaming child who has an absolutely garbage recording setup.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

Is Hearts Boxcars actually dead or is he just in another Calendar year. The ending of the Felt Intermission with the results of using the crowbar on the safe always did leave me a little confused.

Hearts Boxcars and Diamonds Droog were displaced temporally by Cans, Clubs Deuce actually wasn't! He was last seen when he went off to go dispose of Biscuits' oven while it had a bomb in it.

However the fact that Alternia got totally flushed down the toilet doesn't really invite much confidence in any of their well-being. Maybe someday someone will find that calendar HB was trapped in.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cleretic posted:

I say, picture Homestuck a bit like a series of Let's Plays. Since every session is different and has panned out differently, they're of course different kinds.

Where does the 100% canon 48-player Squiddle session fit into all this?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Fucknag posted:

Where does the 100% canon 48-player Squiddle session fit into all this?

That's the well-edited, informative 100% completion LP.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

frozentreasure posted:

I'm gathering from that FAQ that my assessment of Heroic and Just was actually pretty close to what is the case.

Page 8888 is coming up.

Vriska won't be coming back before page 88888888, though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cleretic posted:

And Caliborn's is an absurdly hard challenge run that soon proved to not actually be that fun to watch, probably because the LPer is an insufferable screaming child who has an absolutely garbage recording setup.

I have to disagree with this last one, because Caliborn's session seems like it would have been a pretty interesting lets play:

It starts off kind of slow and strange. It's mostly just this weird kid (Caliborn) and a friendly juggalo guy (Gamzee) playing an odd point and click adventure game that revolves around finding keys under rocks. It's a little tedious, but it's occasionally funny and it's oddly cathartic hearing the weird kid bitch out the juggalo guy whenever he tries to help. So you keep watching.

Then, about a third of the way through, things change. The game stops being a point and click adventure game and starts being something more like Dark Souls. The challenges are insane and the game play becomes significantly more difficult, but the weird kid just keeps going. Despite clearly never having played the game before he manages to defeat everything that's thrown at him on the first try, even if it's only by the skin of his teeth. New guest commentators are brought on (the felt) each with a unique sense of humor. Things are fast paced and exciting.

However, right before the final boss, things get weird again. Suddenly the game isn't Dark Souls, it's inexplicably turned into Mario paint. The Juggalo and the other guest commentators vanish without explanation. The weird kid is now alone. He spends his time making increasingly disturbing pieces of artwork. Except for when this angry blue guy (john) shows up, then it becomes a fighting game for a while before going back to being Mario paint. You aren't sure if the weird kid is doing some kind of side quest, or if all his his surreal drawings are actually required to beat the game. It's impossible to tell if what you're watching is hilarious or stupid or some kind of bizarre cry for help, but you keep watching anyway. Because you've invested a lot of time in this and you want to see how it ends, no matter how hosed up stuff gets.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

But the Felt are actually part of the game: each planet he has conquered contained puzzles that could only be solved using their powers.

Which raises an interesting question: what sort of mind-blowing abomination of a puzzle requires such a variety of time fuckery to be solved?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

frozentreasure posted:

Page 8888 is coming up.

Good.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the hell kind of puzzle would you need Doze for?

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Tollymain posted:

He could probably fool motion sensors or something if you don't mind waiting several weeks.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tollymain posted:

Well, we've seen him slow down the timer on a bomb. And Caliborn's session had exploding planets.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
What if there was a door that was voice activated and would only open if you spoke in a low enough pitch voice - he could say an arduous low-pitched beginning of some long-rear end drawn-out remark and open it.

Or yeah, what if there were motion sensors, or statues that came alive if they saw you walk past or something. Or maybe a lost-style sequence of numbers needs to be entered once every hour but none of the actually useful people can be spared to stand at the console all day.

Or since hussie said that the challenge would involve combining their powers in useful ways, maybe if you partner up the fast one and the slow one they reign eachother in and average out at normal speed.

I'm betting that caliborn probably just used him as a weighted object to be placed on top of pressure plates, since he wouldn't need to worry about him getting bored and wandering off.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
He's probably also incredibly durable, given that any injuries on him have ages before they really take effect or need medical attention.
E: And probably fairly strong too? Like something involving a really heavy door or something.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Knowing Caliborn, he probably chucked him in front of every pressure point-based trap possible.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I kind of lost the track of the plot around the time Act 6 began, but the recent developments have been really interesting even if I don't understand anything. That said, I felt like spriting something:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Someone with 30 dollars to spare please buy this as an emote

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Next question: how was Biscuits useful to Caliborn?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paul.Power posted:

Next question: how was Biscuits useful to Caliborn?

His oven is SUPER useful.

He just carries the thing around.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobulus posted:

Well, we've seen him slow down the timer on a bomb. And Caliborn's session had exploding planets.

His powers also make him really good at waiting. Since he can slow down time for himself he can make hours, days, and even years seem like only a couple of seconds. He's also probably really good at holding his breath for the same reason, if you put him under water he only has to stop breathing for a few seconds even if you leave him down there for hours.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Burkion posted:

His oven is SUPER useful.

He just carries the thing around.

He also makes some really good biscuits.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I never knew that rufiozuko getting stalked by homestucks was a thing I would want to see, but now I have and it's amazing

(check the mspa news bar)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Renaissance Robot posted:

I never knew that rufiozuko getting stalked by homestucks was a thing I would want to see, but now I have and it's amazing

(check the mspa news bar)

It's like a drug-trip horror sequence :psyduck:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

It's like Thriller for the internet age

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
It only just occurred to me while reading these last few posts that Doze doesn't experience himself as being slow, he experiences himself at normal speed and everything else is just super fast. This makes me wonder if he can control the rate at which he slows himself, or he's limited to a specific ratio of X Doze seconds to Y regular seconds.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I thought I had broken my habit of feverishly refreshing the MSPA website around when updates were supposed to be announced.

I thought wrong.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's impossible to tell if what you're watching is hilarious or stupid or some kind of bizarre cry for help, but you keep watching anyway. Because you've invested a lot of time in this and you want to see how it ends, no matter how hosed up stuff gets.

Homestuck dot txt

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hempuli posted:

I kind of lost the track of the plot around the time Act 6 began, but the recent developments have been really interesting even if I don't understand anything. That said, I felt like spriting something:

Everyone is suddenly dying. Karkat never did anything useful and was pretty much a wasted character. How Caliborn actually starts everything is apparently also the end of the story.

Kinda hoping there's a lot of fake out going on and these characters haven't literally been strung along for 5 years to be killed off immediately after he decides to start the story again. I think the worst thing that could happen is that everything is made right by the events of the end and these pointless deaths are undone only because it's the end of the story we don't actually get to experience any of it. We just get to see the paradox-space pointless death party because we're observing the lovely version of the story as controlled by Caliborn. I'm just butthurt because I believed that, one day, i'd see Karkat do the bloody thing. Also Dave's death was hella anticlimactic considering all the mortality issues he suffered with. Yeah still holding out for a huge twist. Not sure i'm going to get one.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Wasn't Dave already prophesied to be the one to deliver the final, killing blow against Lord English? No way he's dead permanently, unless his ghost does it or something.

But then again Jake was also prophesied to be the one to deliver Lord English's first defeat if I'm remembering correctly, so maybe John is messing things up by doing things he's not supposed to. Perhaps John kicking Caliborn's rear end is what caused this whole mess in the first place?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Karkat is not dead and will do the bloody thing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh my god that last panel.

Also yeah, Hussie's going to have John end up fixing everything.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well john, looks like you have no choice :stare:

(go terezi)

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Man Roxy, I feel you so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I forgot how much Terezi owned when she didn't suck.