Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

They clearly "win" in The Gang Saves the Day, in the sense that nobody gets shot and Frank makes off with some pretty nice bags of marshmallows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

FadingChord posted:

They clearly "win" in The Gang Saves the Day, in the sense that nobody gets shot and Frank makes off with some pretty nice bags of marshmallows.

They also "win" in Flowers for Charlie, by ignoring those stupid science bitches and going home to watch Police Academy.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

They made Dee's therapist get pissed so she would choose someone to do the dishes.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Pomp posted:

There's a point around season 5 where they lost me for a couple of seasons, because everything got really consistently uncomfortable and mean spirited. Watching good people get poo poo on while the gang wiggles out of any real consequences was always a thing, but for awhile there it felt like the gang was getting consistently rewarded for their poo poo. It's fine and funny in small doses, but it got really tiring.

Or maybe I just got used to it :shrug:

The only thing thing about the show's mean spiritedness that bothers me is that they've started to use Dee as a punching bad far too often. They've made her into Meg.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
It's kinda funny because I feel zero sympathy for Dee because anytime she gets things slightly her way, she acts worse than the rest of the gang. Charlie being mentally retarded and sexually abused literal manchild is the only one I feel bad for because it's not like he's an actual adult or fully aware of what his actions or other people can do.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

phosdex posted:

They made Dee's therapist get pissed so she would choose someone to do the dishes.

Ohhhhhhhh you bitch!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's kinda funny because I feel zero sympathy for Dee because anytime she gets things slightly her way, she acts worse than the rest of the gang.

Yeah, she's not at all sympathetic. Meg you feel bad for because she gets shat on for no reason most of the time. Some of the Meg jokes are just out of the blue and completely mean spirited.

Dee generally just gets antagonized for whatever dumb dream she's trying to follow at the moment, and she will usually quickly prove she's following that dream for the worst possible reason.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

ultramiraculous posted:

Yeah, she's not at all sympathetic. Meg you feel bad for because she gets shat on for no reason most of the time. Some of the Meg jokes are just out of the blue and completely mean spirited.

Dee generally just gets antagonized for whatever dumb dream she's trying to follow at the moment, and she will usually quickly prove she's following that dream for the worst possible reason.

Dee actually was supposed to be the straight man of the group. However when writing season 2 they realized that it would be a lot funnier though if she was just as horrible as everyone else. There is still some of this however with her characterization as a massive hypocrite who is often doing things for all the wrong reasons. So basically she is Michael Bluth only she can't really be guilted.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You can't really have a straight man here because everyone else is literally evil, be it by design or ineptitude of the character, and by association the straight man would become evil as well.

You could only have maybe two episodes where a straight man would be able to go "Awww, man you want to rape that guy girl/murder that guy/emotionally abuse that person, Dennis? Ha ha, oh man, that's crazy, man, don't do it. Let's grab some coffee instead."

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Drifter posted:

You can't really have a straight man here because everyone else is literally evil, be it by design or ineptitude of the character, and by association the straight man would become evil as well.

You could only have maybe two episodes where a straight man would be able to go "Awww, man you want to rape that guy girl/murder that guy/emotionally abuse that person, Dennis? Ha ha, oh man, that's crazy, man, don't do it. Let's grab some coffee instead."

To be fair, they are still pretty shocked by Dennis' sex stuff (like "because of the implication" and the crap they find in his trunk). However, they usually stop caring rather quickly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I also just rewatched Dee Gives Birth, which carries the frightening revelation that Dee has on multiple occasions tricked Ben the Soldier into having sex with her.

And also calls him "army-jerk" and "camo-turkey". :v:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

Charlie being mentally retarded and sexually abused literal manchild is the only one I feel bad for because it's not like he's an actual adult or fully aware of what his actions or other people can do.
Charlie isn't mentally retarded, he's a drugged out fuckup with dyslexia who is too self centered to pay attention to anything; watch him scheme any time he decides to actually give a poo poo about something. Charlie's schemes are amazing and so loving thought out and thorough, and when he doesn't get control, he snaps. Like, look at Charlie Rules The World. He's found something to give a poo poo about that works with his schemes, and he's so much more present and terrifyingly in control than usual. He's not all there; dude is strung out as hell, probably has undiagnosed ADHD, and is delusional as all hell, but he's not stupid. Like, at all. Hell, Flowers for Charlie shows that his idiocy is literally just him not giving a poo poo about following anything that isn't him. Look at any time people start talking to him about something he's not directly involved in for a few seconds, and he just starts tapping his foot and going "what what this is boring."

Drifter posted:

They fit on a D&D evil scale, where Dennis is the Lawful Evil guy who uses rules to Lex Luthor the world to his own gain; Mac is between Lawful and Neutral Evil, because he cares a lot about rules, but doesn't always follow them; Dee sits in at Neutral Evil because to her, the only thing that matters is herself and her own goals; Frank is somewhere between Neutral and Chaotic Evil because he knows all about how to use rules to do his own poo poo but would prefer to just get real weird with life because that's funner, and Charlie is all Chaotic Evil, as to him, rules and guidelines to life are completely and utterly irrelevant to getting his goals. Or he just wants to smash rats for the sake of smashing.

This fuckin' show is so brilliant to think about.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Whalley posted:

Charlie isn't mentally retarded, he's a drugged out fuckup with dyslexia who is too self centered to pay attention to anything; watch him scheme any time he decides to actually give a poo poo about something. Charlie's schemes are amazing and so loving thought out and thorough, and when he doesn't get control, he snaps. Like, look at Charlie Rules The World. He's found something to give a poo poo about that works with his schemes, and he's so much more present and terrifyingly in control than usual. He's not all there; dude is strung out as hell, probably has undiagnosed ADHD, and is delusional as all hell, but he's not stupid. Like, at all. Hell, Flowers for Charlie shows that his idiocy is literally just him not giving a poo poo about following anything that isn't him. Look at any time people start talking to him about something he's not directly involved in for a few seconds, and he just starts tapping his foot and going "what what this is boring."

There's a clear implication that Charlie is actually the smartest of them all but doesn't give enough of a poo poo to be aware of or embrace it. See the episodes you just mentioned and also Charlie and Dee Find Love, where he manipulates close to half a dozen people over the course of days with the singular goal of getting the waitress jealous, and upon accomplishing his goal completely reverts once again.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

mojo1701a posted:

They also "win" in Flowers for Charlie, by ignoring those stupid science bitches and going home to watch Police Academy.

Mahoney is my favorite!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Drifter posted:

The "straight man" is either when innocent people get involved in the gang's antics, or when the gang has to deal with people even crazier than they are.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CaptainHollywood posted:

The "straight man" is either when innocent people get involved in the gang's antics, or when the gang has to deal with people even crazier than they are.

The straight men are either the victims or the villains. :laugh: The gang's pretty hosed up. I love them.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Drifter posted:

The straight men are either the victims or the villains. :laugh: The gang's pretty hosed up. I love them.

The gang is the kind of people I want to watch TV about, but would probably hate them in real life. They're just awful humans. Maybe if I was part of the gang, I would enjoy the insanity of it all.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Dead Precedents posted:

The gang is the kind of people I want to watch TV about, but would probably hate them in real life. They're just awful humans. Maybe if I was part of the gang, I would enjoy the insanity of it all.

Well as some who watches and enjoys watching their antics, you are in a sense part of the gang. :getin:

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

Well as some who watches and enjoys watching their antics, you are in a sense part of the gang. :getin:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

grilldos posted:

There's a clear implication that Charlie is actually the smartest of them all but doesn't give enough of a poo poo to be aware of or embrace it. See the episodes you just mentioned and also Charlie and Dee Find Love, where he manipulates close to half a dozen people over the course of days with the singular goal of getting the waitress jealous, and upon accomplishing his goal completely reverts once again.

That episode, especially Charlie's incredibly mean freakout at the end, was what it took to really drive home for me that he really is just as awful as the rest of them, if not worse.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Fat Mac, Best Mac.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fat Mac, Best Mac.

You should have got your own chips at the hamburger store! :mad:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
One of my favorite always sunny moments is the gang making fun of mac for having candy sticking out of his pocket. I think after they do, mac drops them everywhere.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fat Mac, Best Mac.

It's important to pack on mass.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pharmaskittle posted:

That episode, especially Charlie's incredibly mean freakout at the end, was what it took to really drive home for me that he really is just as awful as the rest of them, if not worse.

I dunno, dude's been hooked on inhalants since he was like, 8. He is super messed up, like, physically in his brain. He's the only one of the group who's legit not responsible for his actions.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The overall message they're getting across with Charlie isn't that substance abuse removes responsibility, it's definitely the opposite. Charlie would be a very intelligent and capable member of society if not for his huffing and arrested development.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

grilldos posted:

The overall message they're getting across with Charlie isn't that substance abuse removes responsibility, it's definitely the opposite. Charlie would be a very intelligent and capable member of society if not for his huffing and arrested development.

Yeah? He would be a completely different person if not for his lifelong drug addiction and emotional abuse by his mom. I'm not sure how that's disagreeing with what I said.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Because you said he's "legit not responsible for his actions" which is definitely not the truth. He and the rest of the gang should be in prison for a long period of time.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

grilldos posted:

Because you said he's "legit not responsible for his actions" which is definitely not the truth. He and the rest of the gang should be in prison for a long period of time.

They tried squashing beef with everyone, so that evens everything out. :colbert:

(assuming those people escaped the burning apartment)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Charlie not being as retarded as he usually acts doesn't make him a genius. The show isn't consistent with these sorts of things anyway, sometimes he'll be clever and manipulative like in "Charlie and Dee find love" but other times he won't be able to follow a simple conversation and think that it's beneficial to be a wild card and cut the van's brakes. Even his illiteracy isn't fully consistent, it got a lot worse after the fourth season, in 'the gang runs for office' he writes Dennis's grammatically broken speech while later on he can't seemingly read or write even simple words, although he also writes his mom's speech in "Charlie's mom has cancer".

I would still rate Charlie higher on the 'morality scale' than the rest of the gang cause he only seldomly acts maliciously where for the rest of them it's the first choice in every situation.

Man I'm really suffering Sunny deprivation, I think I've watched every single episode 3-4 times in the past couple of months.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Charlie's just completely burned out from glue and paint huffing. The rest of the gang have actual sociopathic tendencies.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Charlie not being as retarded as he usually acts doesn't make him a genius. The show isn't consistent with these sorts of things anyway, sometimes he'll be clever and manipulative like in "Charlie and Dee find love" but other times he won't be able to follow a simple conversation and think that it's beneficial to be a wild card and cut the van's brakes. Even his illiteracy isn't fully consistent, it got a lot worse after the fourth season, in 'the gang runs for office' he writes Dennis's grammatically broken speech while later on he can't seemingly read or write even simple words, although he also writes his mom's speech in "Charlie's mom has cancer".

I would still rate Charlie higher on the 'morality scale' than the rest of the gang cause he only seldomly acts maliciously where for the rest of them it's the first choice in every situation.
Charlie's just involved in himself. He cuts the van's brakes because he decided that "hell yeah, this is the best wild card thing to do." He doesn't follow simple conversations because they bore him. The conversation thing is ADHD as hell, and the self-centered attitude is completely in-line with how he doesn't even remotely care if his actions cause serious consequences. Also, his illiteracy is connected entirely to how drugged he is while he writes; during 'Charlie Rules The World,' he's clearly capable of reading just fine in a videogame, and doing complex maths and stuff, because finally here's something he can feel super powerful about and everyone follows him. He sometimes writes legible text, he sometimes makes horrible scrawlings of a denim chicken.

He's only higher on the 'morality scale' because more often than not, his plans and actions only involve himself, not a weird self esteem thing where he has to put himself above other people.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
What I love about this show is we can have deep discussions like this about each and every character.

How it can come across as both a simple show about goofy assholes and quotables AND a massively layered commentary at the same time is a testament to the intelligence of everyone involved in its creation, and is a driving reason for its popularity. Just look at the types of fans we have in this thread alone.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I showed my Brother's wife the episode with the DENNIS system and she was laughing the entire way through the episode, all the while saying what a horrible show it was. :allears:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So what's everyone's opinion on Mac? I never hear anyone claim him as their favorite character. I honestly think he's the least funny main character, though that means he's still hilarious. It just feels like a lot of the jokes generated from his stories seems forced in a way that doesn't happen with the other characters.

I think maybe a lot of this has to do with Rob McElhenney being the least talented actor of the group. I think the fat Mac decision largely stemmed because they kind of ran his whole closeted gay/karate loving/power mad schtick into the ground.

Again, I still think Mac can be hilarious, and he's probably my favorite character, oddly enough. I usually feel sorry for him more than anything. I just think he'd be lowest on the list of laugh out loud moments from the core cast.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Mac feels like the most grounded one. The everyman of the group. Gonna be less hilariously crazy as the others, but but still a vital part of the dynamic.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Mac is a Goon, basically.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Mac is amazing. His obsession with Dennis, the Fat Mac season, his dumb loving karate poo poo. It's all great. Dennis is probably the closest to my least favorite, but even then it's fantastic how each season he gets creepier and creepier.

Mac is also the biggest idiot in the group.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Reinanigans posted:

I think maybe a lot of this has to do with Rob McElhenney being the least talented actor of the group. I think the fat Mac decision largely stemmed because they kind of ran his whole closeted gay/karate loving/power mad schtick into the ground.

You think this, but hey did Mac day like two seasons after fat mac sooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Reinanigans posted:

I honestly think he's the least funny main character

Laughs are cheap. Mac's going for gasps !