Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

BigPaddy posted:

:words:

ME 2 had the next gen graphics, better combat and more little bits and pieces outside the main story. I liked the loyalty missions since it made the characters more rounded and with a history rather than generic assassin or space paladin.

:words:
:goonsay:

More rounded than what? More rounded than they would have been or more rounded than ME1? Because ME1 had loyalty missions that weren't thrust in your face like a :dong: and felt far more natural because you actually had to converse with your squad mates to discover them, rather than having them dropped in your email at a set point in game time, and the characters are much more well rounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Drifter posted:

Really? You thought the EDI chase sequence was sweet? :catstare:

Well it was pretty rough on a technical level, but it felt so refreshing to chase after an opponent to capture them, rather than always shooting to kill. I wanted more of that, and it reminded me of the beginning of HL2 where the player is being chased without a weapon except in reverse.

I loved how the cyborg rounds the dig site and your squadmates yell out while Shepard's back is turned, then you turn around to see her sprinting past. That was really cool I thought.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

My Q-Face posted:

More rounded than what? More rounded than they would have been or more rounded than ME1? Because ME1 had loyalty missions that weren't thrust in your face like a :dong: and felt far more natural because you actually had to converse with your squad mates to discover them, rather than having them dropped in your email at a set point in game time, and the characters are much more well rounded.

All of those missions were incredibly boring because of the awful side-mission quest design in Mass Effect 1.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
In ME2 i remember squad mates working better with some weapons that weren't optimal for Shepard (carnifex, tempest vs phalanx and locust for example).
Does the same hold true for ME3?

I mean i'm still figuring out the best weapons for my infiltrator Shepard, i'd probably have a much harder time figuring out best weapons for squad mates.

A lot of people seem to recommend the particle rifle as assault rifle of choice on squad members for example, is this true?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

uaciaut posted:

In ME2 i remember squad mates working better with some weapons that weren't optimal for Shepard (carnifex, tempest vs phalanx and locust for example).
Does the same hold true for ME3?

I mean i'm still figuring out the best weapons for my infiltrator Shepard, i'd probably have a much harder time figuring out best weapons for squad mates.

A lot of people seem to recommend the particle rifle as assault rifle of choice on squad members for example, is this true?

This is true. My all Soldiers run got really boring after giving both Ashley and James the Particle Rifle- it burns through enemies fast after it's spun up (you hear a change in pitch from humming coming from the beam).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

uaciaut posted:

I mean i'm still figuring out the best weapons for my infiltrator Shepard

What is so hard about giving him a sniper rifle? The default one (mantis?) or the Black Widow. Seems pretty simple.

That's it. No other weapons...well, maybe a pistol. But really, you just want a sniper rifle and fast recharge on his skills. You should be invisible and headshotting people most of the time.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

uaciaut posted:

Like Waltzing said, Mantis as default, then Black Widow once you have enough spacebux to buy it. If you have it available the Valiant is also good. Eagle or Hurricane as a backup. Or you can try a shotgun infiltrator. Since cloak overrides all other power cooldowns the weight of your weapons doesn't really matter. If you're going shotty then GPS or Crusader are great. I'm not a huge fan of the Claymore but many people swear by it.

e: if you get Leviathan DLC the Raider is also tits

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you want to see minibosses go down in seriously five seconds flat, give Vega the N7 Typhoon and use squad firing orders.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I was trying to start a run where Ashley was still alive, and I'm just to the tail end of Mars. Unfortunately, I've brought the Blood Pack Executioner pistol. When the cyborg woman is charging at you, she survives a single head shot, and then the reload animation is longer than the time it takes for her to kill you. I'm going to have to go back to the last time a bench was available.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
You might try reload-canceling, if that works in single-player. Basically, as soon as the ammo counter ticks upward, hit medi-gel or duck into cover or use some other power that's on cooldown, and it will cancel the "steam hissing out" animation and be ready to fire again.

Executioner is still pretty slow to reload, though, so maybe a better weapon is a good idea.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lotish posted:

So I was trying to start a run where Ashley was still alive, and I'm just to the tail end of Mars. Unfortunately, I've brought the Blood Pack Executioner pistol. When the cyborg woman is charging at you, she survives a single head shot, and then the reload animation is longer than the time it takes for her to kill you. I'm going to have to go back to the last time a bench was available.

I believe you are correct. I think that is the one gun that you can't finish the encounter with. Enjoy starting the game over, because that is pretty much what you have to do.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"Do you think we should patch our game so that DLC guns don't unlock until the first visit to the Citadel?"

" Pfft, nah, of course not, we're EA."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

I had the same problem with the Paladin, to the point three exact headshots (the gun's capacity at that point) weren't enough to down her. I even tried switching to the SMG I had, but by that time it was too late to. I solved it eventually, I forget exactly what I ended up doing, but I think I used a teammate's disruptor ammo or something like that and she dropped right away. See if you can't try something like that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I believe you are correct. I think that is the one gun that you can't finish the encounter with. Enjoy starting the game over, because that is pretty much what you have to do.

The Scorpion pistol that fires sticky mines can't really finish the encounter either. I remember because that was my absolute favorite pistol until on a NG+ run, I was using that and it ended poorly. It's so good against Banshees, though...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

You're doing it wrong.

E: Infiltrator has a never die button.

So does Kaidan.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sassassin posted:

So does Kaidan.

Who? The dead guy?

What is his magic power?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Waltzing Along posted:

Who? The dead guy?

What is his magic power?

Being chosen to die instead of the space racist apparently.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MA-Horus posted:

Being chosen to die instead of the space racist apparently.

What Space Racist?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Kaidan's magic power is being a better character than Ashley in ME3 despite usually being dead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

What Space Racist?

Ashley is literally a country space redneck, with all that implies.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
She's not racist, though. She actually has an arc and her views change a bit over time. So, who is the space racist again?

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Waltzing Along posted:

She's not racist, though. She actually has an arc and her views change a bit over time. So, who is the space racist again?

Ashley.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Does she come around during ME3? Because I don't remember anything in particular. She's still a racist in her ME2 scene.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 11, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

Her views change from Aliens = bad to Aliens = maybe like dogs or cats.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lycus posted:

Does she come around during ME3? Because I don't remember anything in particular. She's still a racist in her ME2 scene.

By the end of ME1 she isn't "racist" any more. Not that she ever really was so much as sheltered.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

By the end of ME1 she isn't "racist" any more. Not that she ever really was so much as sheltered.

They give her one line that they don't give Kaiden in ME2 and its racist, so she's still racist. She didn't learn to not be racist in ME1, she learned to shut up about racist stuff around her boss and co-workers. Which is a lot like how racists operate in the modern world in real life. Don't know if I'd call it much of a character arc though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lycus posted:

They give her one line that they don't give Kaiden in ME2 and its racist, so she's still racist. She didn't learn to not be racist in ME1, she learned to shut up about racist stuff around her boss and co-workers. Which is a lot like how racists operate in the modern world in real life. Don't know if I'd call it much of a character arc though.

What line is that, because I don't remember it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

"gently caress me Qunari-style, Shepard. No, I meant doggy-style. They're all animals to me."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Drifter posted:

"gently caress me Qunari-style, Shepard. No, I meant doggy-style. They're all animals to me."

This was the best part of ME2, btw.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Drifter posted:

:eyepop:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ashley was right not to trust aliens. She said they'd just look after their own interests if poo poo hit the fan and that's exactly what they tried to do.

Earth First.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Ashley's character didn't have an arc. It's more that she was written rather inconsistently in ME1. When Ashley talked about not trusting aliens, she was expressing distrust of other nations. Which isn't racist... speciest whatever.
But then all of a sudden she compared aliens to animals. And well...:shrug:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ashley thought that when push came to shove each species would put itself first, and in ME3 that exact thing happened.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Of course, racists using rationalizations is a real thing too.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Raygereio posted:

Ashley's character didn't have an arc. It's more that she was written rather inconsistently in ME1. When Ashley talked about not trusting aliens, she was expressing distrust of other nations. Which isn't racist... speciest whatever.

It's not too inconsistent, it's that it's a situation where nations and species are divided strictly into species. And even in RL, there are a lot of places that put more value on your ethnicity, religion, etc. than whatever nation you're a citizen of. Just take the Balkans as an example, or Russia's current justification for its aggression towards Ukraine.

It's also rather easy, unfortunately, to hate an entire ethnic group because of the actions of a few, or because their nation acted in its own best interests rather than in yours. See: America's petty slap-fight with France where we renamed French Fries to Freedom Fries :911: because France didn't really want to go to war with us.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lotish posted:

Something like "I'm no fan of aliens but" Cerberus sucks yadda yadda.

What they did with Kaiden/Ashley in 3 sucked because I had all of these saves where Kaiden was a greasy spot on the floor and then it turned out Ash was a boring drunk lamppost and Kaiden turned into a pretty chill (and useful) dude.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ashley is awesome in ME3. After all, she has a space army hairdo that is oh so helpful in battle.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Raygereio posted:

That's perfectly consistent. It's like having a UKIP member as a squad mate.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ashley was pretty annoying as all hell in ME 3, but yeah the character arc really doesn't flesh out for me, only kinda get forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Species are meant to be the analogue of race in mass effect and it never really works since humans never have to justify the mistreatment of lesser Earth species. Is everyone in the future vegetarian, or is there some threshold for intelligence or awareness that we have to cross to not be discriminated against? Is that threshold to be reached by the collective of the species or do individuals with disabilities get less rights?

Even aside from all that, every species has basically one culture - they're either all space elves or noble space warriors or space pirates or whatever. The humans are all identical too in a nebulous American way.

• Locked thread