Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Talaxian Scientist is pretty much the best combination right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Question on the talaxian race. One of their traits is a chance for free r&d when a mob is at 10% hull. How often do you even proc that? I haven't played since dr was released, so I haven't experienced the hp changes, but I don't remember an enemy ship hovering at 10% hull. It was usually 50+% and then dead.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

JuffoWup posted:

Question on the talaxian race. One of their traits is a chance for free r&d when a mob is at 10% hull. How often do you even proc that? I haven't played since dr was released, so I haven't experienced the hp changes, but I don't remember an enemy ship hovering at 10% hull. It was usually 50+% and then dead.

Post 50 that is pretty common, and the voth have oh poo poo shields that make them immune to everything, so yeah it will occur much more.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JuffoWup posted:

Synergy with the new super HP blob enemies!

AcidCouch
Aug 2, 2012

Having wiki problems re registered acidcouch1 needs in!!!!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

get out, spy

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

OpSec

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.
Logged in for the 1st time in 6 months today, my god, the game doesn't even look fun anymore.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Nvm working again.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Yeah, apparently they broke even more poo poo when they noticed the STF was pumping out 7200 dil per run. Its back up, kinda

Over/Under on when the Voyager patch finally pushes STO under ? (or Paramount pulls their license). I'm going 1 year.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
It has been working fine for me :confused:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hal_2005 posted:

Yeah, apparently they broke even more poo poo when they noticed the STF was pumping out 7200 dil per run. Its back up, kinda

Over/Under on when the Voyager patch finally pushes STO under ? (or Paramount pulls their license). I'm going 1 year.

The game prints money. I'm sure the license holders like that.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The question is whether it's still printing as much money though. I'm sure they made a boatload in presales of the big expansion pack thing, but the playerbase is down after all the bullshit pulled. Well, it's hard to say the exact population; queues are way way down but overall population may be a little up, main problem is pop was hugely increased post-LoR and that hasn't happened here.

I mean I doubt the game will die soon, but it really comes down to whether PWE bleeds it dry short term or are smart enough to let Cryptic keep growing it.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Hal_2005 posted:

I'm getting constant disconnects. It's so annoying. Can't finish undine battlezone because half the team drops and the npcs suddenly overwhelm. Even just changing outfits at the tailor is proving impossible.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Doing good things increases population and doing Neelix doesn't? :jebstare:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

I'm getting constant disconnects. It's so annoying. Can't finish undine battlezone because half the team drops and the npcs suddenly overwhelm. Even just changing outfits at the tailor is proving impossible.
Yeah, servers are poo poo today. Or some connection thing on Cryptic's end. Either way it's rather annoying and I'm glad I got mirrors out of the way before it started failing.

Axe-man posted:

Doing good things increases population and doing Neelix doesn't? :jebstare:
I know! I would have expected Talaxians to have been the thing that catapulted STO past WoW-level subscription numbers, and yet... :shrug:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Asimo posted:

Yeah, servers are poo poo today. Or some connection thing on Cryptic's end. Either way it's rather annoying and I'm glad I got mirrors out of the way before it started failing.

I know! I would have expected Talaxians to have been the thing that catapulted STO past WoW-level subscription numbers, and yet... :shrug:

I don't understand why Cryptic, instead of making some sort of Borg arc, playing perhaps an assimilated Borg or something like that chose Talaxians. :iiam:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

MoraleHazard posted:

I don't understand why Cryptic, instead of making some sort of Borg arc, playing perhaps an assimilated Borg or something like that chose Talaxians. :iiam:

Playable borg is already a thing though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MoraleHazard posted:

There was, evidently, a poll. And Voyager poo poo won.

Imagine if that poll had had a correct answer, like DS9 winning. e: or TAS

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Nessus posted:

Kirk Is A Jerk tailor option please

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

There was, evidently, a poll. And Voyager poo poo won.

Yeah, but a borg arc could've counted as Voyager poo poo too. Although quite frankly I think the game's kinda done the borg to death anyway. They've turned them into bigger wusses than Voyager did. OH WHAT'S THAT A CUBE *pew pew* NOT A PROBLEM.

It still baffles me they didn't use popular aliens like the Krenim for the Voyager stuff.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, but a borg arc could've counted as Voyager poo poo too. Although quite frankly I think the game's kinda done the borg to death anyway. They've turned them into bigger wusses than Voyager did. OH WHAT'S THAT A CUBE *pew pew* NOT A PROBLEM.

It still baffles me they didn't use popular aliens like the Krenim for the Voyager stuff.

The Krenim all died off screen, confirming this for the worst expansion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If they included Krenim, they'd be obligated to delete your character the moment he hit 60.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Korgan posted:

The Krenim all died off screen, confirming this for the worst expansion.

We think they all died offscreen. They actually just decided to timeskip this expansion en-masse. They'll reappear next season.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

We think they all died offscreen. They actually just decided to timeskip this expansion en-masse. They'll reappear next season.

Of course, they will all be led by undine and V'yger

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Would you end up getting more damage putting an omni beam in the back of a DHC/Turret ship, despite being unaffected by rapidfire? I mean the plain damage over a turret is quite a significant hike.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 9, 2014

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't actually run a parse, but my instincts say the loss of damage from the cannon skills would make it not worth the effort.

Now, if you were using nothing but Surgical Strikes... :raise:

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
One omni replacing a turret is a net gain. Even more if you have an extra tac ensign for overload 1. Even the cutting beam is a net gain once you factor in hits to bare hull.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Our good friend Xtern1ty admitted to exploiting the game. Not the kind of behaviour I'd expect from his so-called fleet of the future.

http://pastebin.com/56rmYGed

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Would you end up getting more damage putting an omni beam in the back of a DHC/Turret ship, despite being unaffected by rapidfire? I mean the plain damage over a turret is quite a significant hike.

I have the cutting beam and the omni on my scourge. It certainly seems to be fine and the biggest plus for me is it points a line at my current target which makes keeping the cannons pointed the right way easier in swarms when the target flips around.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Korgan posted:

Our good friend Xtern1ty admitted to exploiting the game. Not the kind of behaviour I'd expect from his so-called fleet of the future.

http://pastebin.com/56rmYGed

is he still pretending he works for cryptic??

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Seeing the Xean video relinked popped up the Doctor Who SFD logo on the side, goddamn that is still my favorite intro clip yet. So amazingly perfect.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Acer Pilot posted:

You're talking about a guy who called his alt Zone Help and Neighborhood Watch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Acer Pilot posted:

After seeing his "Xtern1ty" community gaming video I would have trouble believing that he is even capable of volunteer work at his local library.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
In the middle of a Mirror Invasion where it seemed like I was the only one staying alive or doing any kind of damage, I found the worst pubbie build. That thing on the bottom left is a Hargh'Peng torpedo, in case anybody's wondering.

First time I ever had the station get shut down in that mission, too.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If everyone else takes down the enemy shields he'll do a lot of damage!! :downs:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

quantumavenger posted:

In the middle of a Mirror Invasion where it seemed like I was the only one staying alive or doing any kind of damage, I found the worst pubbie build. That thing on the bottom left is a Hargh'Peng torpedo, in case anybody's wondering.

First time I ever had the station get shut down in that mission, too.

He just finished up the CCE. :stare:

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

quantumavenger posted:

I found the worst pubbie build.
I disagree. It doesn't have any Mk. II-IV equipment on it.

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

Lorak posted:

I disagree. It doesn't have any Mk. II-IV equipment on it.

Funny you should say that, meet Carson@dpro79:

Mixed damage types, mixed beams/turrets, low-level items, a Biofunction Monitor and two EPS Flow Regulators.

I saw this guy in a Mirror Invasion, which means that somehow he managed to make it to level 50 while doing this kind of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Argentic posted:

I saw this guy in a Mirror Invasion, which means that somehow he managed to make it to level 50 while doing this kind of poo poo.

Could be a doff-leveled alt farming mirror events.

Hell, I have a T2 ship doing those.

• Locked thread