Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Ludovico technique with quad shot finally got me to beat eve. It gets scary sometimes though, in the big rooms in the womb when you lose track of your red tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Finally got Death's Scythe, thanks to getting both Brimstone and Krampus' Rage. Not a lot survives getting sucked into a charging vortex of blood laser.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

GeneX posted:

The real question is whether restarts count.

The real question is what the hell do you actually have to do to unlock him, because I got the 4 deaths in order with no restarts or "wrong" deaths in between and didn't unlock him. Do I need to get/see all the puzzle pieces first? Do I have to do it on hard? I'm only missing like 16 achievements/secrets and have beaten mega satan as well as isaac and the lamb with every character. Time to watch the cobalt stream and see what he did I guess and maybe figure out if I missed something.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So wow uh ludovico technique really makes the game easy huh? Just beat mom for the first time as azazel This is fun as poo poo I watch streaming of guys breaking the game in insane ways and I'm like baby's first ludovico over here.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

VDay posted:

The real question is what the hell do you actually have to do to unlock him, because I got the 4 deaths in order with no restarts or "wrong" deaths in between and didn't unlock him. Do I need to get/see all the puzzle pieces first? Do I have to do it on hard? I'm only missing like 16 achievements/secrets and have beaten mega satan as well as isaac and the lamb with every character. Time to watch the cobalt stream and see what he did I guess and maybe figure out if I missed something.

Well huh. That's...odd.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.
Okay so I'm playing through as Cain, doing lots of damage, feeling good, but I know that just semi-decent damage output won't be enough to get me through the game. I stumble across Dr. Fetus... and I grab it. Instantly I start taking tons of damage from my own bombs bouncing off poo poo and blasting me in the face. I've got Dark Bum, so I'm surviving, but I'm like "holy poo poo, I'm boned"

Then I find Ipecac in a Boss Challenge Room, and I'm like... what can it hurt? Now the bombs I'm shooting explode on contact with anything (including me), and do even more damage + poison. Surely I'm hosed now. Then I get Aquarius... and suddenly my own bombs no longer hurt me? I don't know if Aquarius is responsible, but it's the last item I picked up, and suddenly this started happening. I don't know if I broke the game or something, or if this is deliberate, but I am not being hurt by my own explosive bomb tears anymore and it's loving amazing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

GeneX posted:

Well huh. That's...odd.

The only thing I can think of is that I might have died with Isaac in the Cellar instead of the stock Basement level because I had been restarting for like 20 minutes at that point and probably wasn't paying attention. Of course, that would have to actually matter for that to be the thing that screwed up my unlocks, but it's my only theory so far. Watching cobalt's stream at the part where people just figured it out so gonna see what he does and try to replicate it exactly.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I wouldn't be surprised if you need to have the missing poster/mysterious page unlocked. Do you?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

VDay posted:

The only thing I can think of is that I might have died with Isaac in the Cellar instead of the stock Basement level because I had been restarting for like 20 minutes at that point and probably wasn't paying attention. Of course, that would have to actually matter for that to be the thing that screwed up my unlocks, but it's my only theory so far. Watching cobalt's stream at the part where people just figured it out so gonna see what he does and try to replicate it exactly.

From what I've read, it may need to be the Basement and Maggie may need to die in Caves 2. Also it might need to be hard. Of course this just came out so who knows what's entirely right at this point.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This is probably extremely stupid, but does anyone know how to pause with a controller? It's not in the keybindings and if you launch a new game with a controller it disables your keyboard controls for some stupid reason.

E: And yes, I pressed all the buttons on the controller.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

Jsor posted:

This is probably extremely stupid, but does anyone know how to pause with a controller? It's not in the keybindings and if you launch a new game with a controller it disables your keyboard controls for some stupid reason.

Are you using a 360 controller, or something else? For me it's just the start button. Huh.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jsor posted:

Pause/Join, third from the bottom on the controller binds.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

flatluigi posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if you need to have the missing poster/mysterious page unlocked. Do you?

Is the mysterious page the Mysterious Paper in the game? I have that and the poster, is the page another item?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

VDay posted:

Is the mysterious page the Mysterious Paper in the game? I have that and the poster, is the page another item?

Sorry, yes I meant 'paper.'

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
so now that we know how the lost works, how do you get the d100

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

VDay posted:

I got the 4 deaths in order with no restarts or "wrong" deaths in between a

VDay posted:

I might have died with Isaac in the Cellar instead of the stock Basement level because I had been restarting for like 20 minutes at that point

If the second quote is right, that might have done it. People were saying that restarts weren't allowed. Which is absolute bullshit, and I seriously hope Ed changes the unlock condition to something less utterly opaque and luck based.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

ArchetypeBlue posted:

Okay so I'm playing through as Cain, doing lots of damage, feeling good, but I know that just semi-decent damage output won't be enough to get me through the game. I stumble across Dr. Fetus... and I grab it. Instantly I start taking tons of damage from my own bombs bouncing off poo poo and blasting me in the face. I've got Dark Bum, so I'm surviving, but I'm like "holy poo poo, I'm boned"

Then I find Ipecac in a Boss Challenge Room, and I'm like... what can it hurt? Now the bombs I'm shooting explode on contact with anything (including me), and do even more damage + poison. Surely I'm hosed now. Then I get Aquarius... and suddenly my own bombs no longer hurt me? I don't know if Aquarius is responsible, but it's the last item I picked up, and suddenly this started happening. I don't know if I broke the game or something, or if this is deliberate, but I am not being hurt by my own explosive bomb tears anymore and it's loving amazing.
I can't state enough how incredible this item combo is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcIUwWvOrGU
I just got Technology 2 on top of this. It feels like I'm cheating.

E: Sharing the seed for those who are interested in this absurdity

ArchetypeBlue fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 9, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ArchetypeBlue posted:

Are you using a 360 controller, or something else? For me it's just the start button. Huh.

dis astranagant posted:

Pause/Join, third from the bottom on the controller binds.

I'm using a PS3 controller with MotionJoy. Pause literally doesn't show up in the keybindings. It, amazingly, actually detects it's PS3 controller and shows the appropriate buttons, but doesn't have those options. I even tried setting up MotionJoy to make the computer think the controller is a 360 controller or just map it to interpret the joypad as keyboard keys, but Rebirth "helpfully" still considers it a PS3 controller with the same problem.

It turns out there is a way to pause, but that's alt+tabbing. Not ideal, but at least it works.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Additional fun fact about the lost, if you ever quit your game and continue he dies immediately upon it loading back up.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Those antigravity tears sure are terrible, aren't they? I guess you can at least use them like normal tears by mashing the button, but...

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
loving hell. I just lost a run because I accidentally picked up the cursed eye.

Its so loving non descript I thought it was moms pearl or someshit, I didn't think than boom, run loving over... Its primary effect is okayish but gently caress THAT CURSE BULLSHIT

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Jsor posted:

Those antigravity tears sure are terrible, aren't they? I guess you can at least use them like normal tears by mashing the button, but...

They're not so bad, depends on your combo. They rek pretty good with lump of coal, sheild tears, dead onion, strange attraction... But yeah, with regular old tears its a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Motherfucker posted:

They're not so bad, depends on your combo. They rek pretty good with lump of coal, sheild tears, dead onion, strange attraction... But yeah, with regular old tears its a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I saw the potential if I had shield tears. But once I got to the womb with really powerful tears, but hampered by antigrav it didn't end well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If anyone was wondering about the Red Candle you unlock for 400 cents donated to the shop, it's basically the candle from the first game and pretty great. The main difference is that the flames stick around until they do a certain amount of damage to enemies, so you set flame traps everywhere even if you don't hit anything. And the best part is the flames don't hurt you!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Secret room tip, rooms will not spawn with garbage in the way of the secret room entrance, which means if you check your current room and the wall you think the secret is behind is blocked by pits or rocks or something you can basically cross it off as being a secret tile.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Watching someone play The Lost runs feels more stressful than actually playing a normal run

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Woop woop, Golden God. I picked up Mom's Knife early on, and didn't like it any more then I did in Classic. Then, I found Mutant Spider. "Okay, a fan of knives that can hit multiple enemies, that's pretty good, I just wish it had longer range." The next treasure, the very next, was Ludovico. Hello controllable shuriken of Mom's Knives, goodbye Isaac and ???! I killed ??? so fast I didn't even get to see what his new gimmick is, the entire fight took like 5 seconds.

Welp, now to do some Chest and Dark Room runs without abusing the d6.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
2NE6
AERL

For people having a hard time with Azazel, this should give you an easy time.

PS:For the love of Guppy, whatever you do, don't pick up the Anti-Gravity

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Richard_Hammer has already lost his mind playing The Lost. I can't wait to see him at the end of his next 12 our shift. :kheldragar:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I just finished watching Cobalt's run of unlocking The Lost and now I'm really not sure what I did wrong. To confirm, he:

-Did all 4 deaths on normal difficulty.
-Got Isaac's death on Cellar I.
-Restarted a bunch until he found a mulliboom with Isaac, no restarts or "wrong" deaths after that.
-Blew Maggy up on Caves I.

Gonna watch his stream recording some more and see if he did anything special before he started his run, then give it a shot tomorrow morning if it hasn't already been figured out fully by then. Main differences I can think of is that maybe you need to get at least one puzzle piece to kind of trigger the Lost's activation sequence which I haven't done but won't take long, and/or beat both end bosses on hard with every character which I'm only a few runs away from finishing and will do tomorrow anyway.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm watching Richard and Cobalt and this character's existence is downright mean-spirited. I might go for Platinum God eventually, but seriously gently caress ever, ever going for True Platinum God.

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 9, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Can you unlock The Lost with seeded runs? There's probably a seed somewhere that has a mullibloom in the first room, right?

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Can you unlock The Lost with seeded runs? There's probably a seed somewhere that has a mullibloom in the first room, right?
No you can't, but I think the cellar has much more frequent mullibloom spawns, so you could try restarting until you start there.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Seeded runs disable achievements/secrets/unlocks since that would kind of defeat the entire purpose.

Getting mullibloom isn't too bad, it's just kind of annoying. You can speed the process up quite a bit by just holding down the R key and resetting until you start next to a big square (2x2 as opposed to one of the 1x2 or 1x3 long rooms) room and then checking it real quick. You don't even have to let go of R since it gives you enough time to check if you just look at the minimap the whole time. The sketchiest is probably the Judas part since you might get some bad items and die before getting to mom's foot.

Also getting the D100 is theoretically pretty doable, it just depends on RNG cooperating and giving you something silly like quad shot + shielded + poly, or even just Mom's knife + 2-3 orbitals. Since the Lost is flying you can "hide" over one of the 4-rock formations in the center and avoid damage from quite a few of the bosses. That just leaves having to dodge most of the horsemen, gish, gurdy's brimstone attacks, and the flying worm variations. Still drat hard, but definitely not impossible and will be done sooner rather than later.

VDay fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 9, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Does the Razor Blade last all floor like Bloody Lust?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I think the way most people will have to get achievements with The Lost is to pray for Gnawed Leaf + knife/orbital/whatever else can hurt things without you moving or firing.

Anyway, I just had an Azazel run where I got the Prayer Card from a god room and ended up beating the Dark Room with 12 red heart containers. It helped that I found something like three 48 hour energy pills, but the Prayer Card is basically still ridiculous on its own. Also, even with 12 heart slots full, you can still have a half eternal heart, and the next hit will only take that half heart seemingly no matter what, so that's cool.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Finally beat that drat Solar System challenge. The game miraculously keeps throwing tears up pills and regular damage up stuff (like a pentagram behind a spiked door on the first goddamn floor). Do these actually increase the damage of your orbital flies? I am not sure, but still. Of course, I rarely find things that could provide alternativ damage, like Bobs Rotten Brain or Lil Brimstone. This run, I decided to pick up the Infested Baby follower from a devil room. At first I was annoyed because he didn't seem to do anything. But, if anybody struggles with this challenge or a similar one where you can't shoot tears: Holding the attack buttons still causes him to unleash attack flies that would oneshot every normal enemy. At an amazing rate! I had already noticed that charging Brimstone causes Mom's Wig to produce spiders like crazy, but I didn't make the connection to the "not being able to shoot tears at all" condition.

On the other hand, the RNG completely hosed up a great Eden run. Started with high damage and the Shears. Shredded through everything. In the Caves, I picked up the "Experimental Treatment" item that rerolls all your stats. Here's what it did to me: Give me max speed and max range, but minimum fire rate, think Polyphemus, but also much lower damage. There was a room with a bunch of maggots sitting behind a chasm and each of these took 5 or 6 tears to kill at a rate of 0.5 tears per second. I've read the expression "a run suddenly comes to a screeching halt" in this thread and it's spot on for that.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Oh yeah, Samson's Ball and Chain item plus the Lucky Rock trinket equals a shitload of money. I just wish I'd had Money Equals Power to go with it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Oh yeah, Samson's Ball and Chain item plus the Lucky Rock trinket equals a shitload of money. I just wish I'd had Money Equals Power to go with it.

Nope, you should be wishing for Pay to Win. Keep hammering the item button while everything in the room dies. It's super effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

How the hell do I unlock the cellar? I've killed every regular boss like a bajillion times now.