Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

HappyCamperGL posted:

Incidentally Abigail was played by Georgina Moffat. Also Peter Capaldi was Sid's dad.

Wrong Moffat - it's Moffett who's the Doctor's daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I was a fan of Danny Pink and I loved everything about that finale. :)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

They really need a hero costume for the Cybermen. Every time we get a close up of their rubbery undershirt and lovely looking gloves I cringe.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
So wait, did the Doctor find Gallifrey or not? He just looks out the Tardis door and sees nothing then breaks the poo poo out of the center console.

Is he bullshitting Clara when he says he found the planet, then?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Uh, yeah? Did you think Clara was also telling the truth to the Doctor, after they explicitly showed that Danny didn't come back?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Not that is really has any greater bearing but I thought it was funny the day ended up being saved by an Army of Ghosts.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gonz posted:

So wait, did the Doctor find Gallifrey or not? He just looks out the Tardis door and sees nothing then breaks the poo poo out of the center console.

Is he bullshitting Clara when he says he found the planet, then?

Well, yeah - that was kind of the point of that scene. They were both lying to each other about their being happy (Clara with Danny, the Doctor on Gallifrey) so that the other wouldn't worry and be happy themselves.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My opinion on this side of the two-parter was much the same as the first part: Really liked the ideas, but Missy and the Cybermen fighting for space meant they didn't get to utilize them.

This is definitely the best the Cybermen have been since the revival. Pretty much every single part of their presence in these episodes is exactly what a Cyberman revamp should be doing right. The question of technology's place in our lives is pretty clear, and Danny gave them a great opportunity to contrast the inherent inhumanity of a typical Cyberman with a normal person. Add in some body horror (you could argue the skeletons in the water counted, but I wouldn't agree) and you at least have all the ingredients of what New Cybermen should be doing, if not presented perfectly.

But then you also have Missy in the same story, forcing more into both the plot as a whole and the Cybermen's presence in it. I'm saying this while absolutely loving Michelle Gomez's performance, but it causes the entire episode to struggle at delivering its ideas. It's trying to do too much in too little time, and leaves the script struggling to hit all the points it's supposed to while trying to make all of them work. Neither Missy nor the Cybermen get quite the room they need to breathe, and that leaves both of them failing to reach the emotional heights they were capable of.

I was wondering what this whole two-parter would have looked like if you removed Missy, and replaced just enough to keep the story moving. And you know what? I think it would have been better, if you gave the Cybermen her screentime instead. You'd lose the Gallifrey non-resolution and the CyBrigadier, but as far as the actual story goes, it'd be a lot more focused.

Hell, I bet if you tried, you could have kept the Gallifrey tie-ins. Potentially even made it better; of all the races the Doctor's ever fought, the Cybermen knowing its location and having upgraded themselves with Time Lord tech to prove it would have been huge, and a fantastic hook.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Well, yeah - that was kind of the point of that scene. They were both lying to each other about their being happy (Clara with Danny, the Doctor on Gallifrey) so that the other wouldn't worry and be happy themselves.

Looking back, yeah, that makes sense. I feel dense for not reading into it the first time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

This is what happens when I watch the show when operating on very litte sleep.

In other news, I felt that Clara just hugging the Doctor and thanking him for the adventures seems a bit anti-climactic for a companion farewell. I'm sure we'll see her again somewhere down the road tor some reason. The shot of her just walking down the street after the Tardis vanishes felt too abrupt.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gonz posted:

In other news, I felt that Clara just hugging the Doctor and thanking him for the adventures seems a bit anti-climactic for a companion farewell.

I dunno, the companion deciding to stop travelling and live their life without some epic send-off is something of a rarity in the new show and it's nice to see it every once in a while. Granted Clara's involved her boyfriend dying and going to heaven and being reborn as a cyborg and sacrificing himself to save the planet and spurning the chance to return from the dead, but still.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So which Cyberman was Steve Jobs?

After watching Pertwee's first season, it's almost reassuring that UNIT troops are as incompetent as ever. In The Ambassadors Of Twang they're mown down en masse by Cockney street thugs, and here we have a pair of guards standing two feet from the Master completely failing to react as she removes her handcuffs, threatens Osgood, then makes a big show of escaping before disintegrating them.

So anyway, Series 8. Three good, five okay and four terrible episodes. Par for the course, but nobody will ever agree which stories were which.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Gonz posted:

In other news, I felt that Clara just hugging the Doctor and thanking him for the adventures seems a bit anti-climactic for a companion farewell. I'm sure we'll see her again somewhere down the road tor some reason. The shot of her just walking down the street after the Tardis vanishes felt too abrupt.

Did you miss the scene immediately afterwards where the Very Special Guest Star sets up the Christmas Special by telling the Doctor he can't just let their relationship end like that? Much as I would like it to be, that wasn't Clara's send-off.

Michelle Gomez was great, and I'm sure we'll see her again (in the Extra Moffat even talks about loving the Ainley-era practice of clearly killing the Master, then having him show up again in another story with no explanation). I didn't quite buy her as the Master for most of it, but her expression of mixed discomfort and irritation after her plan falls apart finally made it click for me. I'd still like to see a subtle and understated Master again someday, but I'm happy to wait another regeneration.

Agreed that Osgood's death felt a little off, though. Again, Moffat talks in the Extra about "how do we show the Master is evil? We have her kill someone we really like in the most cruel and pointless way possible", but it's notable that I don't think they've ever felt the need to do this with the Master before. Even if you count Chantho, she at least had a karmic "we die together" feel to her death. Osgood just felt like the writer went "we need to raise the stakes here, so let's have the villain kill a named character. Not one who's relevant to the plot or anything, though, no need to go nuts".

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

BSam posted:

Because the Zygon Osgood never needed the puffer, for example the only episode we saw her in where she assumes Osgoods form and asked her to hand over the puffer because she hates getting ones with defects.

Yeah, my bad. Misremembered that part of the 50th. Sorry.

anastazius
May 17, 2009
That was FANTASTIC. "I'm going to kill you in a minute." gave me chills.

Can't wait for the Doctor and Santa Claus time travelling and fixing wrongs at Christmas. Santa Claus for next companion?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

anastazius posted:

That was FANTASTIC. "I'm going to kill you in a minute." gave me chills.

I was almost waiting for "You will let me know when those Zygons stop screaming, won't you?"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
A messy and dumb wrap-up but Michelle Gomez was so goddamn good that I kinda want a series that's just her flying through time and space loving with people and generally being a massive dick. Man, her facial expressions and physical acting were incredible, the flittering between accents, jovial then menacing, wonderful. Plus she killed a DoctorWhat-alike, what more could you ask for?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sentinel Red posted:

A messy and dumb wrap-up but Michelle Gomez was so goddamn good that I kinda want a series that's just her flying through time and space loving with people and generally being a massive dick. Man, her facial expressions and physical acting were incredible, the flittering between accents, jovial then menacing, wonderful. Plus she killed a DoctorWhat-alike, what more could you ask for?

But we love DoctorWhat. :smith:

Or are we only killing the dopplegangers?

anastazius
May 17, 2009

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The whole dead become soldiers under Danny and save the world just seems like a really sloppy attempt to have it fit in with Remembrance Day.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Doctor being President of Earth didn't actually do or accomplish anything, the whole story would have 100% been the same had the Doctor just gone to the graveyard on his own.

anastazius
May 17, 2009
No but it was pretty fascinating to see how the Doctor dealt with it. I thought.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, now that the season is over... apparently Gus, the computer from the Orient Express, wasn't connected to anything else in this season, certainly not to Missy. Think that'll come back to haunt the Doctor next season?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I hope not

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hey, now that the season is over... apparently Gus, the computer from the Orient Express, wasn't connected to anything else in this season, certainly not to Missy. Think that'll come back to haunt the Doctor next season?

I believe his avatar was supposed to subtly invoke the shape of a Cyberman eye.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
What a weirdly dark and dissonant finale to end an otherwise fun and lighthearted season.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
I thought that was stupendously silly, and, therefore, I loved it.

Actually in many ways this felt more like Moffat attempting to do a RTD finale to me. Massive spectacle and alien invasion at home combined with complete silliness, rather than puzzle box structures, a focus on the Doctor, or messing about with the fabric of time itself.

Lots of it were nonsense - with the hint at a literal afterlife (that the Doctor seems to know about, despite what he said the prior episode?) stretching credibility just a bit too far for me - but overall I liked it. It helps that Gomez was just so incredible, and, for once, the cybermen actually felt well used.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Doctor being President of Earth didn't actually do or accomplish anything, the whole story would have 100% been the same had the Doctor just gone to the graveyard on his own.

The Doctor didn't do or accomplish anything for the whole story.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Well yes but sometimes things happened around him that mattered, not so for the section with UNIT in it

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Possibly the best moment in the finale.

Also, an astonishingly accurate re-enactment of my frustration at this episode, with my couch substituted for the console.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think it would be cool to have a companion thats not a pretty girl from modern day London next season. Maybe a spaceman from the future. Who is named Jack Harkness.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I think it would be cool to have a companion thats not a pretty girl from modern day London next season. Maybe a spaceman from the future. Who is named Jack Harkness.

Yeah, and Jack should have been practicing a new sort of combat. Like, say, archery.

Also now that the series is over I'm reading through the spoiler thread and this post tickled me.

Burkion posted:

Please for the love of God actually give them a good story this time. That doesn't end with them all blowing up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think they missed an opportunity when The Master wasn't killed by five shots in quick succession.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Well, what a bad season of Doctor Who that was. THANKS TERRIBLE COMPANION AND TERRIBLE, WEIRD NATIONALISTIC YOU-CAN-BE-THE-PERFECT-GUY-IF-YOU'RE-A-SOLDIER-TOO COMPANION ROMANCE.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

surc posted:

Well, what a bad season of Doctor Who that was. THANKS TERRIBLE COMPANION AND TERRIBLE, WEIRD NATIONALISTIC YOU-CAN-BE-THE-PERFECT-GUY-IF-YOU'RE-A-SOLDIER-TOO COMPANION ROMANCE.

You didn't cotton to how Pink was haunted by shooting a little kid as a direct result of his soldiering?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

surc posted:

It really wasn't done in a nationalistic way, like, at all.

CobiWann posted:

Possibly the best moment in the finale.

Best moment in the finale? It reminded me of Six strangling Peri. Now he's beating his TARDIS! D:

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 9, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"Yes it's in another dimension, no it's not lost"

I suspect the Master was telling the truth about Gallifrey's coordinates, just not how to access whatever dimension it's in.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, this entire story arc seemed designed to have the emotional pay-off be that the woman was never good enough because she didn't want to settle down and stop having adventures so she had to lie about it.

At no point did Danny Pink ever tell Clara to stop adventuring with The Doctor. In fact, he did quite the opposite when she came back furious and claiming she was done with him. At no point did he issue an ultimatum about traveling with the Doctor vs. their relationship. Clara simply chose to lie to the both of them because she thought it would make life smoother. Not because Danny wanted her to settle down.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm more disappointed with the episode now. Good first part; more disappointing second. It's a lot like the Master story from season three in that regard.

That's not to say there wasn't a lot of stuff I liked. I have to echo the praise for Michelle Gomez, and I hope she's back. But so too was there some stuff that just didn't feel like it needed to be there; the bits with the Doctor being given contorl of the Earth felt like something that would be an interesting story in itself rather than, well, a plot device in this one (and one they didn't really capitalise on - it would've been as easy for Kate to say, "We've learned from experience to defer to you in matters such as these; you're in charge now, Doctor."). Ultimately, a lot of this stuff felt like it was taking up space that could've been put to better use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

MisterBibs posted:

Random notice: the Cybermen crawling out of the cemetery scene(s) was more disturbingly shot than most zombie movies doing it.
I had this same thought. It was really impressive. Now somebody set a bunch of Cybermen footage to Thriller!

Jsor posted:

But we love DoctorWhat. :smith:

Or are we only killing the dopplegangers?

For every one we kill he becomes stronger!

I thought the finally was great. This season had some really good episodes and some real stinkers. Even the stinkers had some really great scenes with Capaldi and Coleman though. They were just amazing in every scene together. Them and Gomez really hit it out of the park this season.

• Locked thread