Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Randarkman posted:

e: Norwegians are once again told that there is an increased danger of terrorist attacks in connection ISIS encouraging supporters in the West to attack civilian, police, political and military targets (basically anything), don't know why they'd think Norway is more at risk than any other European country though. Also heard Erna Solberg on the radio in relation to this say that Norway will not allow a terrorist organization to dictate our security policy just as she announces that measures must be taken to address the heightened terrorist threat from ISIS, which I found pretty ironic, she should think things through before she says something.

Yeah the translation that I heard on the radio was even more bizarre. Terrorist threats are exactly the kind of thing that should dictate security policy, I mean that's why it exists in the first. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The amount of people I met that were just voting because 'we want better roads also tired of the left' was as sad as it was baffling. Then again, at least a few of them are rich bastards so they weren't that far off in their assessment...

Most of the people I know who voted H or FrP, when asked why, all seemed to give some variation of "it's time for a change", or "they've been at it for eight years, it's time for someone else to have a go". I guess that makes sense, if Norway was kindergarten and "being in government" was a toy.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Atal Vataman posted:

To post something on topic:

After the national budget was released here, theres been all kinds of fallout for the government. The main point of annoyance seems to be the suggested tax cuts for the richest and harsher conditions of recipients of certain kinds of welfare. FrP is doing their worst polling results in ages and H is bleeding voters to AP. Interestingly EVERY party is currently bleeding votes to AP, who on their hand is getting historically high polling results.

There's still 3 years until elections of course, but I find it amazing that people are shocked that H and FrP has released a typical H and FrP budget. It's like the initial media coverage of the new cabinet last year, when people were "shocked" by the views of various new ministers. Having these views is what got these people elected in the first place, so I don't understand why people act so goddamn surprised. It's of course another thing that FrP voters are saying that they have voted for FrP all their lives, but didn't know this is what having them in government actually meant.

I'm also slightly worried that FrP is not bleeding votes due to being too radically conservative/liberal/dickheady, but rather because they are not being radical enough...

It's both, I think. A lot of FrP's voters have been mostly apolitical, just wanting "common sense" solutions like better roads, less immigration, more prisons, less taxes/interference/bureaucracy, etc. When the party actually starts implementing this, these voters suddenly realise that the bureaucracy was making their lives a lot easier, that they were themselves to some extent dependent on state interference in the form of social aid, and that "less taxes" will tend to benefit someone entirely different from themselves. This is a sour realisation - Norwegians in general don't think that the rich have it very hard, and the whole "job creator" mythology is happily fairly absent from the national discourse. Add to that the attacks on beloved institutions like the NRK and the seemingly pointless drive towards privatisation and uncertainty, and people start doubting.

Then you have the gung-ho racists who absolutely loathe the very notion of immigrants, that think that the state is the capital-E Enemy. These people are a much smaller and more marginal group, but are equally pissed. They don't really have anywhere else to go, though, so they might just stay at home next election. Hopefully.

I made a bet with my brother that this government isn't going to last until its third budget. Thus far, the only thing that seems to stop that is Jonas Gahr Støre looking very happy to just sit around and let the blue-blues hang themselves.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Randarkman posted:

You're probably right, but Israel/Palestine always becomes a shitfest anyways and should be discussed apart from other topics, in the same way that its kept out of the general Middle East thread.

e: Norwegians are once again told that there is an increased danger of terrorist attacks in connection ISIS encouraging supporters in the West to attack civilian, police, political and military targets (basically anything), don't know why they'd think Norway is more at risk than any other European country though. Also heard Erna Solberg on the radio in relation to this say that Norway will not allow a terrorist organization to dictate our security policy just as she announces that measures must be taken to address the heightened terrorist threat from ISIS, which I found pretty ironic, she should think things through before she says something.
Ahaha, same lies here, which is why you guys just gave us a bunch of guns apparently, that the guv smuggled in because they didn't want people to know that they're arming the police. The specific scenario they outlined was "a cruise ship or plane filled with ISIS militants!!!1" because they apparently aren't tired of showing off how well they fooled people into voting in the dumbest government yet.

And out of curiosity, is the Israeli cause even held up high in the rest of the Nordics? I know you got more open racists out there, whereas here they're considered gauché (just another example of us being lil' America) but are the right wing really that supportive of them?

Scherloch posted:

Most of the people I know who voted H or FrP, when asked why, all seemed to give some variation of "it's time for a change", or "they've been at it for eight years, it's time for someone else to have a go". I guess that makes sense, if Norway was kindergarten and "being in government" was a toy.
Coming from Iceland where our right-wing government had just started to ruin all the good work done by our left-wing one, I had problems articulating counter-points against that which didn't start with: "You loving idiots". Ehh, it's family and at least my uncle knew exactly what he was voting for, but then again he's a rich bugger.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

Norwegians in general don't think that the rich have it very hard, and the whole "job creator" mythology is happily fairly absent from the national discourse.

Up until say, five years ago I'd never heard the expression "jobbskapare" (job creator/s) in swedish, now it feels like it's in every goddamn press release from Svenskt Näringsliv (the swedish interest organisation for business and industry).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The blue-blues are trying to establish it, but it's not catching, is what I'm thinking about.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Up until say, five years ago I'd never heard the expression "jobbskapare" (job creator/s) in swedish, now it feels like it's in every goddamn press release from Svenskt Näringsliv (the swedish interest organisation for business and industry).

Annie Lööf has spent the last year entrenching its position in the political discourse and it's working for her. The other blue parties kinda paved the way with their focus on entrepreneurs but currently she stands alone in preaching it religiously neo-liberalism style. Thankfully there is no swedish equivalent to the american dream and the disenfranchised voters are moving to SD anyway, otherwise it would probably be catching on among voters. It appeals to Svenskt Näringsliv because it allows them to position themselves (in the marketing sense) as defenders of the small business owner while demanding policy which just so happens to result in massive tax cuts for big businesses like mcdonalds and ikea.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Annie Lööfs sudden turn-around (in the discourse) from mocking target #1, even from places like Dagens Industri, to the new "respected rightwing politician" is really weird. Has she changed wardrobe too or is it just me? It's like she got herself a new media-concious make-over and everyone instantly forgot she had 8 years to implement her wondrous vision.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

Annie Lööfs sudden turn-around (in the discourse) from mocking target #1, even from places like Dagens Industri, to the new "respected rightwing politician" is really weird. Has she changed wardrobe too or is it just me? It's like she got herself a new media-concious make-over and everyone instantly forgot she had 8 years to implement her wondrous vision.

Hey Maud Olofsson is rolling in her grave earning lots of money as a lobbyist right now. :argh:

Also it probably helped that she stopped that thing she was doing where she started every sentence on tv with "Vi i centerpartiet".

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Pimpmust posted:

You forget where our media is leaning politically.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well yeah, but even they were making GBS threads on her before she ended up in the opposition :iiam:

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Come on, come on, you can do this. http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/statsbudsjettet-2015/krf-topper-aapner-for-brudd-en-invitasjon-til-aa-felle-seg-selv/a/23332200/

quote:

Kritikken haglet mot regjeringen da KrFs fremste tillitsvalgte i helgen samlet seg til landsstyremøte i Oslo.

En rekke fylkesledere gikk på talerstolen og advarte mot oppfatningen om at «KrF er dømt til å godta» en budsjettavtale. Det skriver avisen Vårt Land.

- Jeg er glad KrF er singel fortsatt. Med så mye omkamper er det ikke sånn at vi er dømt til å bli enige, som pressen jo skriver, sa fylkesleder Dag Sele i Telemark.

- Nei, vi er ikke dømt til å bli enige. Det finnes andre alternativer, sa Trude Brosvik fra Sogn og Fjordane.

Flere fylkesledere, blant dem Svein Iversen fra Finnmark, mente også at regjeringens budsjettforslag er en invitasjon til å felle seg selv.

Høyre/Frp-regjeringen er avhengig av støtte fra minst ett av samarbeidspartiene KrF og Venstre for å få vedtatt statsbudsjettet i Stortinget.

Oppnås det ikke enighet, kan Solberg-regjeringen i aller ytterste konsekvens måtte gå av før jul.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

You forget where our media is leaning politically.

40% MP, 20% V, 20% S among journalists.
Or in case of SVT, +50% MP.
The leading columns might be social liberal, but that is about it.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Cardiac posted:

40% MP, 20% V, 20% S among journalists.
Or in case of SVT, +50% MP.
The leading columns might be social liberal, but that is about it.
So 60% social liberal, 20% social democrat and the newspapers are owned by right-wing companies.

But yeah media is totes left-leaning.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

loving leftist commie-pinko journalists and their "vanliga löntagare" 50k+ paychecks:

(Like it needs reposting)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

loving leftist commie-pinko journalists and their "vanliga löntagare" 50k+ paychecks:

(Like it needs reposting)

The only reasonable explanation is that the indesign guy must have been pissed or something. I mean why else would every single picture and table contain information that directly contradicts the journalists point? :v:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You guys seriously think your media is "right-wing"?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ligur posted:

Right-wing by swedish standards smartass.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
All the major newspapers are liberal(AB, Expressen/GT, DN, UNT, SydS) or conservative(SvD) and most regional papers too. The largest left-wing paper is probably ETC and some smaller papers bound to organizations exist(Arbetaren, Proletären, Syndikalisten, Flamman, Offensiv) but in general it's the liberal media empires that own the dialogue.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Aftonbladet is pretty left/green leaning, at least the culture pages, and they kinda work like editorial pages.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xoidanor posted:

If D&D has taught me anything it's that there's no such thing as regional standards.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

A funny example is how the regional papers Norrköpings Tidningar (NT), which is right-wingish/liberal, and Folkbladet, which is leftish, are both owned by the same media concern; Norrköpings Tidningars Media AB.

http://ntmeu.teknomedia.se/img/2013/4/8/1905654.pdf

NTM also own Upsala Nya Tidning, Norrbottens Media and Gotlands Media AB + a bunch of radio channels.

e: Looking around a little more another interesting one is Schibsted, which owns both Aftonbladet och SVD (and for the Norwegians here, Aftonposten and Stavanger Aftenblad).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 9, 2014

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Schibsted owns almost all major national and regional dailies in Norway of any quality (they do not own VG and Dagbladet, but lol at those two). They're an enormously influental actor in the Norwegian media market.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Ligur posted:

Ligur asks, mouth agape and hands trembling with rage, as beads of spittle dribble down his many chins onto a copy of Der Stürmer.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 9, 2014

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ligur posted:

Well, they think since the leading pages are in general social liberal and they are owned by companies that have to make money that all newspapers are right wing.
The fact that 40% of the journalists vote MP (this actually switched around year 2000 from V, which used to have 40%) and 20% V, whereas these parties gather around 11-12% tells you something about how connected they are to the general public. Also, 40% of Swedens journalists live in Stockholm and 10% in Söder. It is basically a little duck pond, where anyone that sticks out is ostracized. Anyone believing this is a recipe for impartial reporting is incredible naive.
There are countless examples on Flashback detailing the hypocrisy of Swedish journalists, and ironically the rapid growth of alternative news sources like Flashback, Fria Tider and Avpixlat is due the loss of confidence in Swedish journalists.
On a side note, Swedish newspapers are currently going through a massive crisis, and before the next election Svd will be gone, and maybe GP as well. The rest of the newspapers will also be in bad condition. This is however a global phenomena.

V. Illych L. posted:

Schibsted owns almost all major national and regional dailies in Norway of any quality (they do not own VG and Dagbladet, but lol at those two). They're an enormously influental actor in the Norwegian media market.

You are aware that Aftonbladet (with for example Åsa Linderborg) and Svd are both owned by Schibstedt.
Schibstedt obviously don't give a poo poo about the politics of a newspaper as long as it earns money.
They bought AB, where LO(?) had the condition that the leading pages and culture pages should be determined by LO/SAP.

Rutkowski posted:

So 60% social liberal, 20% social democrat and the newspapers are owned by right-wing companies.
But yeah media is totes left-leaning.

Well, from your unique point of view I guess everything is right-wing.
Also, left-wing newspapers have been such a success right?
Without pressstödet most of the remaining ones would be a distant memory.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I honestly couldn't tell you about the political implications of Schibsted ownership, since those of their papers I read have been liberal forever and haven't changed much in that regard. I *can* tell you that they've been facing cutbacks, layoffs, tabloidisation etc, but that's very likely simply be the direction the market is evolving. There's a ton of more sharing sources and articles and even editorial work. Again, possibly inevitable.

I'm just saying, our media flora is pretty consolidated and getting more so. I tend to think that this is cause for concern, and in any case, it was a pertinent remark.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Well, they think since the leading pages are in general social liberal and they are owned by companies that have to make money that all newspapers are right wing.
The fact that 40% of the journalists vote MP (this actually switched around year 2000 from V, which used to have 40%) and 20% V, whereas these parties gather around 11-12% tells you something about how connected they are to the general public. Also, 40% of Swedens journalists live in Stockholm and 10% in Söder. It is basically a little duck pond, where anyone that sticks out is ostracized. Anyone believing this is a recipe for impartial reporting is incredible naive.
There are countless examples on Flashback detailing the hypocrisy of Swedish journalists, and ironically the rapid growth of alternative news sources like Flashback, Fria Tider and Avpixlat is due the loss of confidence in Swedish journalists.
On a side note, Swedish newspapers are currently going through a massive crisis, and before the next election Svd will be gone, and maybe GP as well. The rest of the newspapers will also be in bad condition. This is however a global phenomena.

It could also be that their profession, researching phenomena and happenings in society, mean they become biased in a certain direction. ;) But seriously, first of all, the question posed in that study from 2011 was "What party do you prefer today?", that's not the same thing as being a die-hard supporter or even voter of that party. Secondly, the answering frequency was about 60% I think. For instance, 356 journalists who worked in the field of politics answered the poll. There were also only slightly more answers from national news outlets compared to local papers. But I do agree the large concentration of media to Stockholm is a bad thing. That's how the free market wants it though, so welp.

I also love your little predicitions and I hope this thread will be around long enough that we can go back and check them. :allears:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Also, left-wing newspapers have been such a success right?

Let me remind you that ETC has been selling their paper for almost a year soon and that they're still growing in subscribers.

Cardiac posted:

Without pressstödet most of the remaining ones would be a distant memory.

There is not a single Swedish newspaper to which this doesn't apply. This is also largely why everyone has been panicking about our new minister of culture, they expected some kind of hint to how the investigative journalism of the future is going to support itself and they got nothing.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I also love your little predicitions and I hope this thread will be around long enough that we can go back and check them. :allears:

Those predictions pretty much align with what the industry leaders are expecting though. DN and Aftonbladet aren't going anywhere in the coming 4 years but almost everyone else is at risk without radical restructuring. :confused:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xoidanor posted:

drat, sorry, should have figured that out immediately before posting.

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Ligur asks, mouth agape and hands trembling with rage, as beads of spittle dribble down his many chins onto a copy of Der Stürmer.

Do you often cry while you post? Or vomit?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Explain to me why Miljöpartiet wants to remove the nuclear powerplants, when germany did so bad in that department? I don't get green party logic in general i suppose.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Wild Horses posted:

Explain to me why Miljöpartiet wants to remove the nuclear powerplants, when germany did so bad in that department? I don't get green party logic in general i suppose.

Speaking as an Australian Green, a lot of green party members are irrationally afraid of nuclear energy. I'm not a fan myself, but I pretty much accept it as a zero-carbon reality anywhere outside of North Africa or Australia.

I think it's born from the nuclear scare of the Cold War, as well as a lot of "CHERNOBYL" and "FUKUSHIMA." Nuclear power and nuclear weapons are inexorably linked in the minds of a lot of older Greens. The more reasonable ones talk about waste processing and disposal and the destructiveness of uranium mining.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

Their party was literally founded while Chernobyl was spewing waste all over Europe, it's never been a rational thing for them.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

Because nuclear power is bad for the environment. Not as bad as coalplants, but still bad. If they use the "lesser of two evils" reasoning they might find them selves locked in as accepting nuclear power as a long term solution which they don't think it is. So they they try to implement policies for shutting down the nuclear powerplants in existence by making it harder to earn money running a powerplant while opposing the building of new ones. In the mean time they hope a viable solution to replace nuclear power will present itself.

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger

Wild Horses posted:

green party logic

There's your problem, you are trying to apply logic to illogical fears. Radiation is being treated like a mix of cryptonite, phazon and tiberium, something that even in barely detectable doses will kill you and scorch the land for all eternity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uno.mannschaft posted:

Because nuclear power is bad for the environment. Not as bad as coalplants, but still bad. If they use the "lesser of two evils" reasoning they might find them selves locked in as accepting nuclear power as a long term solution which they don't think it is. So they they try to implement policies for shutting down the nuclear powerplants in existence by making it harder to earn money running a powerplant while opposing the building of new ones. In the mean time they hope a viable solution to replace nuclear power will present itself.

Good to see that "starve the Beast" still has fans.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiac posted:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avpixlat#Avpixlat_i_svensk_samh.C3.A4llsdebatt
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fria_Tider
So living in Stockholm makes you biased, being a racist shithead just makes you "alternative".

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

computer parts posted:

"Starve the beast" is a perfectly rational political strategy to manage your baseload power.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

computer parts posted:

Thats not the term i would use here?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Good, each and every country should not accept immigrants who stand below strict standards of behavior.
In any functioning state, that want to remain functioning, there should be functioning citizens, for they make the state to what it is, this is why every citizen should be right and wishing to fulfill himself in a way that benefits both himself and his surroundings, this is what differs a civilized progressive nation that climbs forward, from a wild wasteland with people that fight each other in one way or another.
Deporting is a mean procedure, and might not be the most fair, but when people abuse the laws of democracy and socialism, to ruin the society they live in for their own benefit, even after their families received the favor of citizenship as immigrants, fairness can only reach a boiling point before things explode for the worst.
There are many Europe-born kids around Europe, that live in their own self-made ghettos, who do not even know the native language of the country that they live in. Which is in my opinion the most bold, red and flashy signal for a warning and failure of the immigration policies as of yet.
My point is not that immigration and multi-culturism is bad, but it is the lack of moderation and control of the current policies that many European countries have.
Human nature tends to gather people into opposing groups, and that impulse is very strong in immigrants from rural places and third world countries who reach whole new worlds, and feel different, they are both held back into old views of racism and depression by their parents, religious preachers and the small firm communities that they create, while not being pushed strong enough, into mixing with social values and the native population in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Good, each and every country should not accept immigrants who stand below strict standards of behavior.

Who are you even responding to when 98% of the page has been discussing environmentalism and journalism? Is it in response to Cardiac? Kudos on staying true to your username with your posting I guess.

Also this poo poo

quote:

In any functioning state, that want to remain functioning, there should be functioning citizens, for they make the state to what it is, this is why every citizen should be right and wishing to fulfill himself in a way that benefits both himself and his surroundings, this is what differs a civilized progressive nation that climbs forward, from a wild wasteland with people that fight each other in one way or another.
is bullshit, you realise that right? People who fall off the track rarely do so simply because they don't want to be good people that share a productive part in society, that's not how humans work.

• Locked thread