Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

My Imaginary GF posted:

China's having a purge already due to its slowing economic growth. Unless you feel Xi Jinping's anti-corrupt campaign is anything approaching a genuine attempt at reform and not a move to consolidate his power base, in which case I'd call you hopelessly naive.

So when's the war scheduled to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

His power base is basically Ave! Bossa Nova, similis bossa seneca! from top to bottom. They would do very unpleasant things if there was even a hint of serious reform to the current system.

Who's they? Let's look at some hints of serious reform:

http://www.eastbysoutheast.com/yunnan-corruption/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dian_Lake

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/20/world/asia/the-new-victims-of-chinas-war-on-corruption.html?_r=0

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol Q1 2013 every province reported above average gdp growth.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fart simpson posted:

So when's the war scheduled to start?

Eh probably never (if you mean between the US/China), it is probably going to lead to some skirmishes in the South China Sea between China and its neighbors though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Woah, two wars on one page? I thought we were talking about a civil war!

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

It's a stretch to call that reform, there's no changes to the system involved. It's more a case of actually enforcing existing rules.

Now, the whole "Rule of Law" thing coming out of the Fourth Plenum, that sounds more like reform. Discussed it with my cadre students, here's what they told me:

1) Governments of all levels are now forbidden from interfering with any court cases
2) Judges can no longer meet any involved parties in a case outside of formal meetings
3) Judges will be held responsible for any cases they try for their whole life
4) Government departments must publicly display the rights of citizens using their services

Seems like good stuff, though I'm pretty cynical about how far 2) and especially 1) will be implemented. If they were implemented, though, it'd be a step in the right direction for once.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Grand Fromage posted:

What if Mao was gay and black?

don't post my fantasies tia

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is a good article for raging monoloids like you:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/nov/06/-sp-china-ghost-city-kangbashi-ordos-re-education-campaign

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014
Are there any China threads which aren't ~ten posters looking at their watches and announcing "any minute now that house of cards will topple onto the heads of every street shitter"?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yes.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blueyedevil posted:

Are there any China threads which aren't ~ten posters looking at their watches and announcing "any minute now that house of cards will topple onto the heads of every street shitter"?

English threads? There probably isn't. Anyway if you come across one let me know. You should check out Michael Pettis China blog. He post often and each update usually have civil and long discussion.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

whatever7 posted:

English threads? There probably isn't. Anyway if you come across one let me know. You should check out Michael Pettis China blog. He post often and each update usually have civil and long discussion.

Great recommendation, thanks. I never read blogs but realise I probably should, any other recommended China blogs of similar quality?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Since an economic downturn hit Ordos, fuelled largely by municipal debt, the government has been offering less compensation to new residents.
Several of his previous neighbours have had trouble finding work in the private sector, such as in the city’s new car assembly plant, which was enticed to Ordos by tax incentives, or in the city’s two main industries, coal and construction, which both favour younger workers. Some of Shiwen’s neighbours enrolled in a government program that pays them to complete simple tasks, such as sweeping the streets after sandstorms, and planting tree saplings and flowers. On his farm, Shiwen can heat his own home with a log-burning stove, grow all of his own food and get his water from a well. In the city, all of these things need to be bought, and it’s debatable whether a low-paid, unskilled job would could support a standard of living higher than what he’s used to in the countryside.
Ordos is therefore somewhat of a special case in China. It is attempting to urbanise from scratch. It’s too early to tell if the new city will ever truly thrive, or whether you can in fact build a city from scratch. The hope is that the influx of farmers will cause a tipping point, creating demand for goods and services, leading to an influx of real souls into China’s ghost city.

I'm leaning towards, "No, Ordos will not be able to attain a capitalist class before thr money runs out." I don't see anything in the article which indicates systemic reform; I see much of the same, with slowing rates. Unless your nation is food secure, subsidizing urban consumption over rural subsistance does economic harm if it does not result in human development to a youth and young adult/professional demographic.

By subsidizing the urbanization of welfare-dependant individuals, you're creating long-term debt without expanding your tax base. I fail to see how the Ordos situation is sustainable, and could be translated into economic stability for higher tier cities.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Seems that Hong Kong's big property developers are damaging the rule of law.

SCMP posted:

Misleading and unfair sales practices by developers and property agents remain common despite a new law introduced by the government more than a year ago that aimed to combat them, Hong Kong’s consumer rights watchdog has found.

In a damning report released on Tuesday, the Consumer Council described the Residential Properties (First-hand Sales) Ordinance as an “insufficient deterrent” to malpractice.

Council staff and volunteers posed as mystery customers to test the sales tactics for 17 developments between June and July. The watchdog also conducted a survey with 602 actual and potential homebuyers.

No prosecution has ever been made under the law introduced 18 months ago. After today’s release of the council’s report, questions will likely be asked of the Sales of First-hand Residential Properties Authority (SRPA), the body tasked with enforcing the ordinance.

“It is an objective fact that there has been zero prosecution. The SRPA has been adopting a strategy to appeal to or advise sellers to comply with laws and regulations and to caution consumers against bad practices,” said the council’s chief executive Gilly Wong Fung-han.

Among the key problems identified in the report: for 10 out of the 17 developments, the flats listed on price lists released to customers did not match with the properties actually offered for sale. The council found it was common for developers to sell the flats in small batches in order to mislead buyers with mismatching price information.

Responding to the report, the SRPA said that the ordinance had “already achieved some results” in consumer protection. It stressed that the law had been thoroughly discussed in the legislative process.

Without mentioning the absence of prosecutions, the authority said that any suspected breaches of the law would be referred to the Department of Justice.
The best part of this article is its sole comment:

Because the comments on a article about the protests look like this:

And like, 20 of them.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xoykl_CCrA

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, this happened

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2014/11/11/china-panics-over-ladies-man-putin.html

quote:

Chinese official are in a rush to block footage of Russian President Vladimir Putin acting chivalrously toward President Xi Jinping’s wife. At a Monday night concert at the APEC conference, Putin offered Xi's wife, Peng Liyuan, his coat on a chilly night. Putin–who is apparently considered a heartthrob among many Chinese women–made Xi look like a weak, inattentive spouse, according to the Associated Press. Chinese citizens began to make a series of off-color, critical jokes about Xi after watching footage of the gesture on state broadcaster CCTV. Chinese officials panicked and removed any access to the video from the Web, as well as any references to it on social media. “The public show of consideration by Putin may provide fodder for jokes, which the big boss probably does not like,” said Beijing-based commentator Zhang Lifan.

Will Putin be asked to apologize for hurting the feelings the Chinese people?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

pentyne posted:

So, this happened

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2014/11/11/china-panics-over-ladies-man-putin.html

How terrified do you have to be of your grip on power that you censor things like this, clearly drawing a thousand times more interest to the event than would ever be possible otherwise?

The Chinese surveillance and censorship regime is such a wild thing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Cocoa Ninja posted:

How terrified do you have to be of your grip on power that you censor things like this, clearly drawing a thousand times more interest to the event than would ever be possible otherwise?
Is that sort of censorship-backlash effect nearly as strong on an internet where you can "remove any references to it on social media"?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Is that sort of censorship-backlash effect nearly as strong on an internet where you can "remove any references to it on social media"?

The problem is the state media broadcast it and it circulated around for hours, and only after social media started making jokes about it did the state freak out and pull the footage and start censoring any mention of it, well after anyone who would hear about it probably heard about it.

Plus the act of censoring it turned what was a non-story into an international news story being reported on around the world.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 11, 2014

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
You guys acting like you'd like it if Putin one up'd yall on TV.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Anyone catch the latest Sinica? Jeremy's diatribe about a handjob shack on every corner was loving :lol:tastic. It was a generally interesting episode, though too short to be as informative as normal, but that part really had me laughing out loud. Jeremy is the China-based expat of my heart.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Handjob shack? Details, man.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pentyne posted:

So, this happened

No, but it puts China firmly between Russia & the United States, if not puts them as leaning towards the United States in the event of a conflict.

Yes this is how actual serious people in America have analyzed the issue.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tom Smykowski posted:

Handjob shack? Details, man.
Somewhere around 21m12s:

http://popupchinese.com/lessons/sinica/damned-lies-statistics-and-china

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Tom Smykowski posted:

You guys acting like you'd like it if Putin one up'd yall on TV.

He's the president of a loose coalition of robber barons, oligarchs and moguls. Pretty sure he's one up'd me all to hell already.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Cool I'm listening to that Sinica right now. Reminds me of this: http://www.economist.com/news/china/21570749-gini-out-bottle

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
http://theaviationist.com/2014/11/06/j-31-zhuhai-airshow-practice/

Someone there who can find local source material, I'm curious, is "Falcon Eagle" is a poor translation into English of a different set of Chinese words?

EDIT: This is quoted in the article - "鹘鹰"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Gyrfalcon

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ReindeerF posted:

http://theaviationist.com/2014/11/06/j-31-zhuhai-airshow-practice/

Someone there who can find local source material, I'm curious, is "Falcon Eagle" is a poor translation into English of a different set of Chinese words?

EDIT: This is quoted in the article - "鹘鹰"

Sounds like someone just took each character on its own. That'll get you halfway there.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2021

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

sincx posted:

According to Wiktionary, 鹘 refers to a type of pigeon. Take that how you will.
I wasn't sure if it could get funnier than "Falcon Eagle" but I'm truly hoping they named it the Pigeon. Must be a hint about its strategic bombing capabilities.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ReindeerF posted:

I wasn't sure if it could get funnier than "Falcon Eagle" but I'm truly hoping they named it the Pigeon. Must be a hint about its strategic bombing capabilities.

I am not familiar with this bird name either. According to this link, its just a fansy name for Falcon ( 隼)

http://www.baike.com/wiki/%E9%9A%BC%5B%E9%9A%BC%E5%BD%A2%E7%9B%AE%E9%B8%9F%E7%B1%BB%5D

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, it's gotta be one of those words that doesn't translate well literally, but makes perfect sense figuratively. I was just curious if any of the Chinese experts here could decipher it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, it's gotta be one of those words that doesn't translate well literally, but makes perfect sense figuratively. I was just curious if any of the Chinese experts here could decipher it.

I would imagine they made it a two character name because one character names sound bad in Chinese but couldn't come up with anything good to pair together other than "Falcon Eagle".

You don't need a college degree to get into the PLAAF.

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I would imagine they made it a two character name because one character names sound bad in Chinese but couldn't come up with anything good to pair together other than "Falcon Eagle".

You don't need a college degree to get into the PLAAF.

No, it's a perfectly cromulent word, with the sense of trained birds of prey collectively, like "raptor". 鹰鹘 (with the characters reversed) appears in some old texts.

Please refrain from making uninformed jabs at the Chinese language as it really hurts the feelings of the Chinese people.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

鹘 wat6 gwat1 hu2 gu3 - falcon; turtledove
鹰 jing1 ying1 - eagle; falcon

So we could have the Falcon Falcon right here.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You guys should stick to press releases and figures. Stay away from language issues.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diERlnUUf9M

It ends abruptly - did Xi really walk out?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

You guys should stick to press releases and figures. Stay away from language issues.

Not yet. I'm waiting to hear My Imaginary GF weigh in on this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

caberham posted:

yeah, stick to what you're good--err, stick to what... you like talking about