Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Is there an option in the survey to say I don't want to have to buy toys to unlock content in games I've bought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Suaimhneas posted:

Is there an option in the survey to say I don't want to have to buy toys to unlock content in games I've bought?

Not really but you can try and slip it in there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They should sell Amiibos with built-in download codes for VC games so you can give 'em away as gifts or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Suaimhneas posted:

You realize that's the entire point of the product line...right? Its like Skylanders or Disney Infinity. Buy little plastic figures, unlock bonus content. If they just gave out the content...what would be the point of the amiibo?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

You realize that's the entire point of the product line...right? Its like Skylanders or Disney Infinity. Buy little plastic figures, unlock bonus content. If they just gave out the content...what would be the point of the amiibo?

Yes, he realizes that's the point. Something being the point doesn't mean it's automatically good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

jivjov posted:

Pretty sure you two had this exact exchange just a few days ago.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

axleblaze posted:

Yes, he realizes that's the point. Something being the point doesn't mean it's automatically good.

Telling Nintendo "You should just give me this content you've made and not make me buy your figurines" is beyond pointless.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The big hook with NFC/portal games like Skylanders isn't unlocking bonus crap by scanning figurines, it's the "magic" of taking real-world characters and dropping them into your game and the back-and-forth between the game and the figure. It's a shallow gimmick for kids and little more than another fad but it's a well-considered one, which is more than can be said for Amiibo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Telling Nintendo "You should just give me this content you've made and not make me buy your figurines" is beyond pointless.

Telling Nintendo you don't like the central concept of the thing and hope they don't arbitrarily gate off content seems to have about as much point as anything else you could say.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

axleblaze posted:

Telling Nintendo you don't like the central concept of the thing and hope they don't arbitrarily gate off content seems to have about as much point as anything else you could say.

I highly doubt that some comments on a Club Nintendo survey will do a thing to deter Nintendo from a business strategy that they've obviously put a lot of time, money, and development into.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Not really, because Nintendo also sees "wow, Skylanders made infinity dollars."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

I highly doubt that some comments on a Club Nintendo survey will do a thing to deter Nintendo from a business strategy that they've obviously put a lot of time, money, and development into.

True, not buying them will do much more but it helps to let them know that you're deliberately not buying them and aren't just not aware that they exist like companies tend to assume. Sure it won't do much but almost nothing you put there us likely to do much.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

jivjov posted:

Didn't Miyamoto change all of Sticker Star's story into nothingness after some Club Nintendo surveys technically backed him up in his desire to change Paper Mario?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Didn't Miyamoto change all of Sticker Star's story into nothingness after some Club Nintendo surveys technically backed him up in his desire to change Paper Mario?

He actually killed someone who said it was a bad idea.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

jivjov posted:

Wow it's like that whole previous conversation never happened. I'm starting to think you're just trolling now, but okay, I'll spell it out again.

Attaching content to these figurines makes it cost more than the content would by itself, if we can judge from the Hyrule Warriors one - a single weapon for almost the same price as two dlc packs with vastly more content in them.

For someone who would like the content but is not interested in the figurine, this is a bad deal.

Sure, you could argue that the same figurine will unlock other content in future games so its value will increase. But there's no way of knowing if any of that future content will be anything I'd want to spend money on. Just as an example, I'm not interested in the Mii costumes in Mario Kart 8, I never even use Miis in that game. If I buy the Link amiibo and it turns out all future content it unlocks is like that, will I be able to ask for a refund because I'm unsatisfied with what I got for my money?

I'd much rather just have the option of buying whichever content for whichever games that I'm interested in, individually, for whatever prices are appropriate for that content, as they're released. I don't like the idea of buying a toy I don't want because one thing I do want is tied to it, and then just hoping that later I get more stuff I like to make it worth it.

Is that simple enough? Or are you just going to continue going "hurr durr you just want stuff for free" whenever someone complains about this?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

This is a perfect opportunity to complain. If it unlocks good stuff, it's bad. If it unlocks bad stuff, it's bad. If it unlocks nothing, it's bad!

This is a great time to be a person who likes to complain.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Suaimhneas posted:

Wow it's like that whole previous conversation never happened. I'm starting to think you're just trolling now, but okay, I'll spell it out again.

Attaching content to these figurines makes it cost more than the content would by itself, if we can judge from the Hyrule Warriors one - a single weapon for almost the same price as two dlc packs with vastly more content in them.

For someone who would like the content but is not interested in the figurine, this is a bad deal.

Sure, you could argue that the same figurine will unlock other content in future games so its value will increase. But there's no way of knowing if any of that future content will be anything I'd want to spend money on. Just as an example, I'm not interested in the Mii costumes in Mario Kart 8, I never even use Miis in that game. If I buy the Link amiibo and it turns out all future content it unlocks is like that, will I be able to ask for a refund because I'm unsatisfied with what I got for my money?

I'd much rather just have the option of buying whichever content for whichever games that I'm interested in, individually, for whatever prices are appropriate for that content, as they're released. I don't like the idea of buying a toy I don't want because one thing I do want is tied to it, and then just hoping that later I get more stuff I like to make it worth it.

Is that simple enough? Or are you just going to continue going "hurr durr you just want stuff for free" whenever someone complains about this?

This is literally every business decision ever. "Why can't I just buy a gamepad for my existing wii" "why can't I just pop a 3ds game into my DSi" "why can't I just install an onstar into my old car" "why do I have to buy an upgraded membership for the gym instead of just paying for one feature" "why can't I substitute items in this meat bundle".

Yes. I get it. You want amiibo exclusive content without buying an amiibo. I wouldn't be surprised if a year or so from now, Nintendo lets you do just that. But for now, it's tied to the NFC figurines. Just like DLC and micro transactions and season passes, it is not inherently bad. It's all gonna depend on what Nintendo does with it. And so far it looks pretty drat awesome.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not interested in amiibos because I assume Nintendo will region lock them.

Because Nintendo is ran by loving idiots.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

elf help book posted:

This is a perfect opportunity to complain. If it unlocks good stuff, it's bad. If it unlocks bad stuff, it's bad. If it unlocks nothing, it's bad!

Yeah, this is pretty much hitting the nail on the head. If the Amiibos unlock good poo poo, then Nintendo is gating DLC behind their toy lines and it's poo poo. If it unlocks dumb stuff (or worse, nothing at all) then why even bother with the amiibo at all? If Nintendo doesn't give a gently caress, why should I?

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't, and I appreciate that they're making it semi-worthwhile for those of us who are interested in them.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

jivjov posted:

This is literally every business decision ever. "Why can't I just buy a gamepad for my existing wii" "why can't I just pop a 3ds game into my DSi"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you think those are even remotely similar to what I'm saying then that's pretty goddamn insulting, what the hell

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

This is literally every business decision ever. "Why can't I just buy a gamepad for my existing wii" "why can't I just pop a 3ds game into my DSi" "why can't I just install an onstar into my old car" "why do I have to buy an upgraded membership for the gym instead of just paying for one feature" "why can't I substitute items in this meat bundle".

Yes. I get it. You want amiibo exclusive content without buying an amiibo. I wouldn't be surprised if a year or so from now, Nintendo lets you do just that. But for now, it's tied to the NFC figurines. Just like DLC and micro transactions and season passes, it is not inherently bad. It's all gonna depend on what Nintendo does with it. And so far it looks pretty drat awesome.

1.- It uses technology that the Wii is uncompatible with due to how it was made.
2.- It uses software that is uncompatible with the DSi.
3.- It uses software that is uncompatible with the primitive computers on old cars.
4.- The upgraded membership's cost is what allows the features to be a viable part of the gym.

None of these apply for "a moveset in a game can be downloaded after you rub a toy on the controller". The sole reason I even replied to this is because I want to ask you just what the gently caress do you mean with "this is literally every business decision ever."? I'm just staring at that and cannot figure out what you mean.

For me the ideal Amiibo situation would be costumes and AI buddies. Instead of getting the spinner in Hyrule Warriors you can use the Link or Zelda amiibos as co-op partners, and if you use anyone else you can get alternate costumes for characters, like, say, a Samus-inspired outfit for Zelda (i'd be down for simply color-swap even, like, rub mario on the contorller and now link's regular costume is red and blue). In MK8's case i'd like for what we got right now and being able to use an amiibo as a replacement to an AI-controlled racer in local play, and I honestly thought that was what we were getting with what we had been shown before the last Direct.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 9, 2014

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

1.- It uses technology that the Wii is uncompatible with due to how it was made.
2.- It uses software that is uncompatible with the DSi.
3.- It uses software that is uncompatible with the primitive computers on old cars.
4.- The upgraded membership's cost is what allows the features to be a viable part of the gym.

None of these apply for "a moveset in a game can be downloaded after you rub a toy on the controller". The sole reason I even replied to this is because I want to ask you just what the gently caress do you mean with "this is literally every business decision ever."? I'm just staring at that and cannot figure out what you mean.

He just doesn't like it if you criticize anything Nintendo does for any reason.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

"this meat bundle"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hey guys how about those video ga-

jivjov posted:

:yikes:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Lemme distill all my examples down to something non specific. "Why do I have to buy thing X to get feature Y? Why can't I just add feature Y on to my existing thing?"

Answer: Business exist to make money. They make money by selling things. There is more money to be made selling new devices.

Nintendo in particular could very easily sell a Hyrule Warriors Link amiibo, a Smash Bros Link amiibo, and a Mario Kart 8 Link amiibo and triple-gouge consumers, but they aren't. They're giving us great value for money here, and that's not even including the physical collectables themselves.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

For my amiibo survey I answered "Make Bayonetta 3 and sell me a Jeanne amiibo and I will buy your DLC toys, Nintendo", which is I think the correct answer

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

elf help book posted:

"this meat bundle"

I work in a grocery store, used to work the meat counter. Was providing an example I am familiar with.

Andrast posted:

He just doesn't like it if you criticize anything Nintendo does for any reason.

No, I just don't like it when criticisms are as simple as "well I don't like it so it shouldn't exist"

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I honestly thought that the amiibo content fell on the side of "kinda small and a bit crap no-one would care if it was walled off" but I guess I was wrong

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

There is more money to be made selling new devices.
Actually that's pretty loving wrong? Selling new software is more lucrative. That's sort of what the economy of video games lives on.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

...what?

You can't play 3DS games on a DS because it's new hardware. You can't use a gamepad on a Wii U because it's new Hardware. With Amiibos they don't actually do anything. The game woudl be perfectly be able to do most of the things the Amiibo unlocks without it existing. With most dlc you do in fact get to but what you want. If you want to buy an outfit, you can buy that outfit. If you think that outfit is dumb, don't buy it. With Amiibos, if you want content for one thing, you get a a bunch of content you don't necessarily want and a figure you might not want just to maybe get one thing. You also don't know if the figure you're buying will end up being really useful or only be useful or just be used in one thing. It's all just a crap shoot. The only thing similar is a season pass but at least with a season pass you know you can just buy all that stuff separately if you want later if you don't want to just take the risk. Also with season passes you know you have the game that the thing you're buying will apply to. Here you're just maybe buying an Amiibo and for one or two things and just hoping that it will be useful later. It's just odd and feels really forced. It feels like the content is there to justify the Amiibos rather than the Amiibos actually being able to justify themselves by them self in any way.

If people just want tiny Nintendo toys that might do stuff but if it doesn't, that's also fine, then yes, this is perfect for that. As a means of delivering dlc and unlocking game features, it's pretty unappealing to me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

I work in a grocery store, used to work the meat counter. Was providing an example I am familiar with.

No, I just don't like it when criticisms are as simple as "well I don't like it so it shouldn't exist"

Your counter-argument seems to consist of "It makes money for Nintendo so you shouldn't criticize it".

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

elf help book posted:

It's an even greater time to be a person who gets a big larf out of the complainers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I need to get a meat bundle.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Nintendo in particular could very easily sell a Hyrule Warriors Link amiibo, a Smash Bros Link amiibo, and a Mario Kart 8 Link amiibo and triple-gouge consumers, but they aren't. They're giving us great value for money here, and that's not even including the physical collectables themselves.

Why are like half your arguements "well they could be doing something way worse"? That's really not as good of an argument as you seem to think it is.

jivjov posted:

But this is how I feel. Nothing has really justified it's existence to me. "Skylanders made alot of money" doesn't compel me to want content to randomly be locked behind physical objects.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I hope the next Animal Crossing game makes you buy Amiibos to fill out your town, that way I can make sure that fucker Rodney leaves me the hell alone.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

jivjov posted:

Lemme distill all my examples down to something non specific. "Why do I have to buy thing X to get feature Y? Why can't I just add feature Y on to my existing thing?"

Answer: Business exist to make money. They make money by selling things. There is more money to be made selling new devices.

So you have, in fact, brought it back around to "you just want to get stuff for free"

I must be psychic or something

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I hope the next Animal Crossing game makes you buy Amiibos to fill out your town, that way I can make sure that fucker Rodney leaves me the hell alone.

i would buy a whitney amiibo just to burn it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I need to get a meat bundle.

I'm just picturing it like a console bundle, with a grill as the console, two steaks and i guess some sauce would be the controller?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I want a Tingle amiibo where you press a button and it shoots glitter everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

A $20 season pass and $12 for a unique weapon in Hyrule Warriors surprisingly restrained compared to other Warriors games. http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/278080/

• Locked thread