Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They should sell Amiibos with built-in download codes for VC games so you can give 'em away as gifts or something.

This would be a cool way for to sell eshop vouchers or a mario all stars equivalent. And by that I mean a bundle of roms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Amiibos are rad because you buy one figure and get DLC for Smash Bros, the games they announced compatibility with, and other future potential games. Link Amiibo is currently confirmed to work in Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, and Hyrule Warriors. I'll bet my bottom dollar bill it will be compatible with Zelda Wii U and Majora's Mask 3D next year. So basically it's $13 for a figurine that happens to come with DLC for a bunch of games. Doesn't sound bad to me. And they'll definitely find uses for Amiibos from underserved franchises too.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

elf help book posted:

A $20 season pass and $12 for a unique weapon in Hyrule Warriors surprisingly restrained compared to other Warriors games. http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/278080/

10 costumes for €8 & 3 new weapon types for €6. I mean that is still bullshit, but less so than Amiibos.

Only reason why I would buy amiibos, if they had non-dlc stuff. Mario-bo contains one of the old-school Mario-games. Link -> Zelda-game etc.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Where does this amiibo survey show up, anyway?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Suaimhneas posted:

Where does this amiibo survey show up, anyway?

On Club Nintendo like any other survey.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't want Link, I want Duck Hunt.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I don't want Link, I want Duck Hunt.

Smash is the flagship title that is launching amiibos and they've already announced a second wave coming in December so I'm sure they will show up at some point. Along with a Mr. Game & Watch one, and a Wario one.

e: Duck Hunt trailer for Smash is pretty great too. That remix is awesome.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

elf help book posted:

On Club Nintendo like any other survey.

Yeah I know that, I'm just not seeing it. Is it US only or something?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I have US club Nintendo and it's not showing up for me.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Oh boy I gotta redo levels to get stars to progress in SMW3D. gently caress that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Smash is the flagship title that is launching amiibos and they've already announced a second wave coming in December so I'm sure they will show up at some point. Along with a Mr. Game & Watch one, and a Wario one.

e: Duck Hunt trailer for Smash is pretty great too. That remix is awesome.

Sure but what I'm getting at is that the A-tier characters are obviously gonna be compatible with lots of games and the lower-tier characters probably won't meaningfully interact with any game outside of the one they're paired with.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah I know that, I'm just not seeing it. Is it US only or something?

Apparently it's just limited. They have done a few surveys like that that only some random people get.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Sure but what I'm getting at is that the A-tier characters are obviously gonna be compatible with lots of games and the lower-tier characters probably won't meaningfully interact with any game outside of the one they're paired with.

It would be pretty cool to get a Duck Hunt Mii costume for Mario Kart, but yeah, you're totally correct.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's what's putting me off. I'm not gonna get more than one Amiibo, so now instead of choosing the one I like (which would definitely be Samus if she didn't have that terrible pose) it's choosing the one I get the most out of.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bruceski posted:

That's what's putting me off. I'm not gonna get more than one Amiibo, so now instead of choosing the one I like (which would definitely be Samus if she didn't have that terrible pose) it's choosing the one I get the most out of.

Yeah I didn't really want a Link amiibo because I like Link, but the fact that he'll be compatible with nearly everything means I should probably get that one.

If at least every individual amiibo has some unique feature in a game besides Smash Bros then I'll probably be happy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bruceski posted:

The ones that are useful in the most games will be the best selling... With adults. Children will buy whatever the hell they happen to like.

Nintendo is gonna make a lot of money on this. The point of this is for them to make a lot of money. If you don't like the idea of the amiibos, don't buy any.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I've never seen an argument go in a perfect circle so many times. Can we just relegate amiibo grief to bad Nintendo thread?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm pretty okay with most of the Amiibo's being pretty useless, because while I want to get a bunch of them, they are $25 a head in my country and that sort of puts me off buying them.

If the slowly drip feed out the usefulness of them than I can buy one as it becomes worthwhile, and $25 every few months isn't so bad in comparison. I think i'll pick up the Link one as soon as I can and then hold off on any of the others for a while.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

All I hope is that amiibos can be shared and used around on multiple Wii Us. If they can, I'm sure me and my friends can get a couple each so we'll have all our bases covered as far as unlocking things in games goes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

All I hope is that amiibos can be shared and used around on multiple Wii Us. If they can, I'm sure me and my friends can get a couple each so we'll have all our bases covered as far as unlocking things in games goes.

The survey seemed to indicate this would be the case.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

So I'll be able to get second-hand ones at a knock-down price and they'll still work to unlock stuff?

Hey, this might actually be better than how everyone else does dlc after all :toot:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Also remember that retail stores DO NOT want stuff just sitting on shelves. If they don't sell then expect to see piles of Peach amiibos on sale for 50% off at Target come January.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
What the gently caress. I go away for the weekend and the first thing I see is the amiibo argument has started up again? I mean, I realize it's going to be like lovely accounts, region locking, etc, and just show up once every 3-4 pages over and over again but holy poo poo. Just go complain at Nintendo instead of crying in this thread every 2-3 days. We don't really need to see either side of the argument again. But it'll likely be back by page 181 of this thread. That thread where people just called the Wii U a failure should come back and all those posts can go in there.

And now to act like a hypocrite by commenting on the amiibo argument! :heysexy: I think it's hilarious that some people will say: "I don't want to pay $12 for the spinner, that's way too much for a tiny DLC!" The only way it would really count as $12 for the spinner is if you originally had no intention of buying the Link amiibo, or you literally were never going to buy Smash, Yoshi's Woolly World, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, and whatever the other games were. I mean we're at what.... 6 games that will use it now? If you were going to get all 6 games...well now it's some kind of $2 DLC.

Still not really worth it. But it still seems silly to say the spinner is a $12 DLC item, like the amiibo would explode the moment it touched the gamepad.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 9, 2014

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i'm gonna get the little nintendos i like and put them on my game shelf and not cry that i might not get to ride around on a spinny top in a game it seems simple enough to me

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I like decorating my gaming area with little figures and poo poo anyway, so in spite of being a grown adult, I'm gonna buy the poo poo out of them. The extra game content is really just a bonus for me. To each their own, I guess.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MaxDuo posted:

What the gently caress. I go away for the weekend and the first thing I see is the amiibo argument has started up again? I mean, I realize it's going to be like lovely accounts, region locking, etc, and just show up once every 3-4 pages over and over again but holy poo poo. Just go complain at Nintendo instead of crying in this thread every 2-3 days. We don't really need to see either side of the argument again. But it'll likely be back by page 181 of this thread. That thread where people just called the Wii U a failure should come back and all those posts can go in there.

And now to act like a hypocrite by commenting on the amiibo argument! :heysexy: I think it's hilarious that some people will say: "I don't want to pay $12 for the spinner, that's way too much for a tiny DLC!" The only way it would really count as $12 for the spinner is if you originally had no intention of buying the Link amiibo, or you literally were never going to buy Smash, Yoshi's Woolly World, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, and whatever the other games were. I mean we're at what.... 6 games that will use it now? If you were going to get all 6 games...well now it's some kind of $2 DLC.

Still not really worth it. But it still seems silly to say the spinner is a $12 DLC item, like the amiibo would explode the moment it touched the gamepad.

Right now the Spinner is the only thing I really kind of sort of would want though. I don't care about the AIs in smash, nor do I play with Miis in Mario Kart, so while I am getting those things, I don't really want them, so I'd still be paying $12 for the Spinner. Once again, I would just rather be able to buy dlc rather than just hoping that the Amiibo I would potentially get does something in future games.

Also, I do love how often people literally just tell people that have a negative opinion about something Nintendo is doing that they should just have their own thread (which I don't think exists right now). Where else on here is that a thing people say? It's weird and a little sad to demand a positive echo chamber.

Edit: in response to the above two posts: as I said earlier, if you see these as little toys that happen to maybe unlock stuff, then they are perfect for you and I have nothing I can really say to that. It's just not everyone wants that and because of that the way it might lock off content is irritating and doesn't feel justified. This is just a point of view on this and if you don't care and want them anyways, that's cool too :)

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 10, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Kirby amiibo looks dope, he's just a big pink blob.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

i'm gonna get the little nintendos i like and put them on my game shelf and not cry that i might not get to ride around on a spinny top in a game it seems simple enough to me

The spinny top is absurdly important.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I cant imagine they wouldn't make it available on the eshop at some point for significant dlc like the spinner. Seems like a waste not to and if they then sold it as an added value aspect of buying an Amiibo it would be a win for everyone. That or gamestop will make a killing on Amiibo trade-ins I guess.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not usually the person to say this, but eugh... Nintendo's stupid account system.

So Australia and New Zealand are both run under Nintendo of Australia, but are both treated as different regions as far as anything related to purchases go. Now back last christmas when we had to choose which region we were tied down to, there was no signs that I wasn't going to be living in Australia for the foreseeable future, so I kept it with Australia.

Come June, so personal family related matters happened, and soon after we had to make the move back to New Zealand, and while it would be easier to keep it with Australia, my bank over here pings me with either a 10% of the total currency conversion fee, or a straight $10 fee for it, so it isn't really financially viable to keep it an Australian account.

For some reason, I thought changing it would be a somewhat simple thing for Nintendo of Australia to do, but the customer service rep seems to be saying they can't really do it. They have taken it up with a higher up and told me they would get back to me, but chances aren't looking great at the moment. It's sort of bullshit that it is 2014 and Nintendo didn't have the foresight to realize that people move country permanently occasionally, as far as their account system goes.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

axleblaze posted:

Also, I do love how often people literally just tell people that have a negative opinion about something Nintendo is doing that they should just have their own thread (which I don't think exists right now). Where else on here is that a thing people say? It's weird and a little sad to demand a positive echo chamber.

It's less of a positive echo chamber it's "everyone is sick of these topics lets put them all in one dump so the same 3 people can scream their same 3 opinions at each other and never change."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Crawfish posted:

I'm not usually the person to say this, but eugh... Nintendo's stupid account system.

So Australia and New Zealand are both run under Nintendo of Australia, but are both treated as different regions as far as anything related to purchases go. Now back last christmas when we had to choose which region we were tied down to, there was no signs that I wasn't going to be living in Australia for the foreseeable future, so I kept it with Australia.

Come June, so personal family related matters happened, and soon after we had to make the move back to New Zealand, and while it would be easier to keep it with Australia, my bank over here pings me with either a 10% of the total currency conversion fee, or a straight $10 fee for it, so it isn't really financially viable to keep it an Australian account.

For some reason, I thought changing it would be a somewhat simple thing for Nintendo of Australia to do, but the customer service rep seems to be saying they can't really do it. They have taken it up with a higher up and told me they would get back to me, but chances aren't looking great at the moment. It's sort of bullshit that it is 2014 and Nintendo didn't have the foresight to realize that people move country permanently occasionally, as far as their account system goes.

Yeah that seems pretty dumb. If Canada and the US aren't different regions, why the hell would Aus and NZ be? Or is that a bad analogy? I know nothing of your ways.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Depends. Can US eshop cards be used on the Canadian eshop?

The Australian and New Zealand regions are pretty much exactly the same, it's just that the currency and eshop cards are locked to their respective currencies.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Crawfish posted:

Sorry if I don't understand how the system works over there since I'm in America, but I specifically got a Discover card with no foreign fees to I use whenever I buy anything outside the country. Have you looked into getting a card like that?

As a side note, what kind of fee are you talking about anyway? If an extra 10% on a downloadable game "isn't financially viable," it might be a good idea to get your financial situation in order instead of spending money on video games.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Let's talk about games. I just finished Wind Waker HD, and it was definitely awesome. Took me forever, and people in here gave me a pep talk to continue to play it, but definitely worth it. It's also the only Zelda game that I've actually finished.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Lets make an Amiibo thread to contain this nonsense.

Also I hope Nintendo makes a deal with the Meat Boy guy and gets Meat Boy ported to the 3DS so they can release a meat themed 3DS as part of a MEAT BUNDLE.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
There needs to be a Navi amibo that has a motion sensor and speaker, so it can say 'listen' whenever someone remotely moves. It should only unlock a permanent Navi in all of your Wii, Wii U, and 3ds games with no way to remove it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Watrick posted:

There needs to be a Navi amibo that has a motion sensor and speaker, so it can say 'listen' whenever someone remotely moves. It should only unlock a permanent Navi in all of your Wii, Wii U, and 3ds games with no way to remove it.

I can just picture the Navi amiibo now. Navi being held up by a big thick piss yellow pillar. Get your Pissing Navi Amiibo spring 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wii U General Discussion - The Amiibo Meat Bundle is not interchangeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I hope Nintendo makes one of their upcoming retail games require Energy Pack purchases to play longer than 10 minutes, so that jivjov can explain to people why Nintendo is just following the market

• Locked thread