Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ScottyWired posted:

My state has it's own standardized test and one part of it was a writing task. We got to keep drafting material after the test so I decided to toss up in a document.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/111996868/2014-2/Stories/A%20brief%20overview%20of%20non-conformants.pdf

There's also a local writing competition coming up soon and NO I'm not entering just because the prize could afford me a new GPU...

Got through the first para, then fell asleep. Write stories about people, not drab ploddy encyclopedia entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I stopped reading here

quote:

An odd
exception to this trend were stores operated by a corporation then known
as “Apple”. It is believed that a certain demographic during that time period
known as “hipsters” would actively defend this brand with great vigour.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
spelled vigor wrong, hth

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Martello posted:

spelled vigor wrong, hth

Do I also spell colour, neighbour and clamour incorrectly? What about centre and fibre?

ScottyWired fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 12, 2014

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

ScottyWired posted:

Do I also spell colour, neighbour and clamour incorrectly? What about centre and fibre?

Hey! You get that queen english, crumpet eating, tea having, crooked teeth crooked language out of here! This here 'murica!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

ScottyWired posted:

You're as bad at jokes as you are at writing

hth

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

ScottyWired posted:

Yes, all of those are wrong.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Crossposting from the ghost story thread over in PYF since I figure this is an appropriate place to ask for feedback! Last night I was struck with inspiration and created VOID CHEF, a Twitter of out-of-context cooking instructions from a Boschian Hell cookbook/blogosphere/food network, etc, and I'm interested in seeing what you CC folks have to say about it. Figured I should post it here since I'm approaching each tweet with the same tone I do in microfiction kind of stuff (and couldn't see a microfiction thread when glancing over the boards, although if I missed it I can relocate there). I'm currently worried about whether I should maintain a consistent tone (I'm currently ping-ponging between purply stream of consciousness stuff and "cooking website but gross/sinister" and am liking both for different reasons), how often I should put out content (I need a hook at first hence a bunch of stuff today, but at what follower count should I start making consistent daily posts?), and most importantly, how not to run this joke into the ground by just making cryptic helltalk and then stapling a cooking phrase onto the end.

Any advice for what I have so far? I can also post a few of my favorites in-thread if that'd be more convenient for people.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 16, 2014

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I would definitely like to see some of your favourites.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

In that case, I'm particularly proud of:

The darkness within us grows forever and hungers always. Satisfy yourself for aching moments with this scrumptious bundt cake.

Keep your eyes peeled. And refrigerated, for that matter.

The frost which falls from the dead-cold glands of the damned gives this smoothie body and a mournful lustre.

Garnish this plate with a daisy chain of sinew and bone to give it that little bit of extra "Wow!" factor.

The Autumn topsoil is rife with nutrients for the growth of fatty biceps. Sow your fields with rot and your harvest will be full and moist.

And a few others I have yet to publish but will probably append onto my post whenever I have.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Heavy Lobster posted:

In that case, I'm particularly proud of:

The darkness within us grows forever and hungers always. Satisfy yourself for aching moments with this scrumptious bundt cake.

Keep your eyes peeled. And refrigerated, for that matter.

The frost which falls from the dead-cold glands of the damned gives this smoothie body and a mournful lustre.

Garnish this plate with a daisy chain of sinew and bone to give it that little bit of extra "Wow!" factor.

The Autumn topsoil is rife with nutrients for the growth of fatty biceps. Sow your fields with rot and your harvest will be full and moist.

And a few others I have yet to publish but will probably append onto my post whenever I have.

I'd just undercook it a bit more (lol); cut an adjective from each post. Otherwise, it's a solid and amusing (if predictable?) gimmick.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Is this what twitter is all about?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

systran posted:

Is this what twitter is all about?

This and stalking celebrities.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/webtwopointoh

Here is my twitter. It features vines of my dog doing cute stuff...microfiction if you will. Please help me to improve my craft by leaving crits.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

systran posted:

https://twitter.com/webtwopointoh

Here is my twitter. It features vines of my dog doing cute stuff...microfiction if you will. Please help me to improve my craft by leaving crits.

Well, you follow Leon and post corgis, so I think that you're off to a good start.

sebmojo posted:

I'd just undercook it a bit more (lol); cut an adjective from each post. Otherwise, it's a solid and amusing (if predictable?) gimmick.

Thanks for this! While I don't agree with all of your choices - part of the humor for me at least is sounding a little arcane/overelaborate, or like someone talking filler on a cooking program - I've definitely been catching myself being a little too obtuse since you posted your edits, and have been adjusting accordingly. Definitely good to have someone remind me how wordy I get sometimes, it's definitely one of my weaknesses as a writer.

I'm glad you find it funny, though! Agreed on the predictability part, it's really just got its cards on the table as a concept, but I feel I have more room to work with it before jumping the shark like a lot of other Twitter personality accounts.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Hey guys. Here's a sub 500 word story I have written. Brutal criticism appreciated.

quote:

Dan was never a dad kinda guy. It just sort of happened, as most pregnancies do: surprise! She wanted to keep him, he didn’t. One year later, after Jim had been born and Dan had changed a few diapers, he looked into his son’s eyes and watched them blur. Jim giggled and Dan smiled.

Love is never what one imagines it to be.

Watching a child run through their first snow is always special. They giggle, fall over, get up again and roll around some more.

Dan’s brown hair now had plumes of grey, his previously defined face now soft and faded as if he were an Inuit tribal statue half buried in the tundra. However, his blue eyes still danced in daylight, just like Jim’s.

Jim’s crying brought Dan back to the present. Waiting for his senses to tell him where he was, Dan started to franticly search around him.

Cold. Wet. Painful.

Dan was on his back, his breathing irregular. Trying to quickly jump up, Dan slumped on his right side. His arm was numb, his legs weak.

Watching a small child desperately trying to pull you onto his sled is pitiful. When it’s your son and you’re helpless, your chest throbs harder than your useless arm.

Dan had to do something.

Crawling on his elbows like a newborn pup, Dan inched towards the sweat stained wooden sled. The wood reminded him of a coffee stirring stick at Tim Hortons.

Recalling the splinter he got in his bottom lip while licking the coffee stirrer, Dan gingerly edged onto the led.

Breathing fire, with his aching chest now churning his stomach, Dan rolled onto his back and struggled into an upright position.

Struggling in his red winter boots, brown winter jacket, and grey woollen hat, Jim squeaked in exertion as he started to pull the sled’s guide rope with one arm. The sled didn’t move. Now using both hands, Jim started to struggle. His squeaks turning into soft growls, almost like that of a prowling cat.

Watching his son’s face drip with sweat, Dan pushed along the ground with his gloved fits. The sled started to move and quickly pick up speed.

They were slow to reach the clearing. Whenever they traveled a few minutes, fallen branches, snowdrifts and uneven ground got in their way.

Dan’s rocking back and forth, helping his son lift up branches when he could, and Jim stomping soft snow flat exhausted them both. However, they somehow were able to keep on going. Adrenaline and desperation has allowed many people to surmount terrifying obstacles.

As the sky started to blotch and dissolve into darkness, the due finally entered the clearing where Dan’s car was located.

Inside, Dan found his cellphone and called 911. Help, it seemed, was finally on the way.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You repeat 'Dan' so many times even though he is the main character. You should use 'he' for Dan in most cases, and 'Jim' for the few times that 'he' won't refer to Dan.

Your prose is pretty rough, and the flourishes you put in don't really mesh and feel fairly forced (like the Inuit statue or the coffee stirring stick). These aren't actually BAD, it's just that they don't flow with the rest of the prose and end up too noticeable for my taste. They also aren't good enough on their own merits to justify the wordcount they take up in such a short piece. The Inuit statue one is almost there, the Horton's one isn't. "Like that of a prowling cat" might be okay as an image, but the extraneous words "like that of a" are bad and can serve here as a concrete example of "your prose is pretty rough."

Cut out the first three paragraphs, these are all "tell," before your "show." Don't tell us about Dan in some kind of prologue; it's boring to read. Just show the situation (which could be interesting) and show us how this experience changes him from not "being a dad person" to having a new feeling toward being a dad, or whatever it is you want the point of this to be.

The prologue forced you to add more awkwardness to your prose e.g.

quote:

Dan’s brown hair now had plumes of grey, his previously defined face now soft and faded as if...

Each instance of "now" jolts the reader around and confuses them since we don't know where in time we are. I don't know when this is taking place until Jim’s crying brought Dan back to the present. anchors me into the actual moment, but this is a very weak effect and you've started out what should be a tense situation with plodding tell and vague setting.

The section of him trying to create enough initial momentum for Jim to be able to pull him forward worked okay enough. I was able to imagine that and just read through it without getting confused or feeling anything was sticking out too hard. You probably want to keep your style more simple and focus on telling a linear narrative with few flourishes. Once you are comfortable with that you can try experimenting more.

quote:

Adrenaline and desperation hasshould be HAVE allowed many people to surmount terrifying obstacles.

This is really bad because it reads like a trite and cliche statement (it is), but the biggest problem is how this sentence drains any semblance of immediacy from the story. You want to put us in Dan's head, not be a floating camera explaining what you see. General statements tenuously connected to implied action make the narrative barely focused on what is happening when it should be living inside Dan's brain and feeding us all of his thoughts and senses.

The concept you have is okay and it's cool to see something like this as opposed to a badass assassin or some goony story that is trying to be funny and isn't, but keep practicing ~YOUR CRAFT~ and you'll likely improve pretty quickly.

Other general unorganized advice:

-Scan your writing a few times over for repeated phrases or words. I've pointed out the "now" repetition, but there is some repetition of "struggling" I just noticed as well. These are often things that either stick out as bad repetition, or people will subconsciously notice it and think of it as bad flow/prose/rhythm etc.

-When you DO decide to do some imagery and get fancy, if at all possible it's usually better to aim for "Jim's groans became soft purrs" (this isn't good either but you get what I mean) as opposed to "His groaning sounds were soft, like that of a purring cat." You want to eliminate as many of those function words as possible and just cut to the imagery. Whenever possible it's also good to try for IS or ARE when doing imagery: Jim was a cat on the prowl. This creates a stronger mental image just by using "to be," a very invisible verb, and then cutting straight into the imagery.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 24, 2014

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Thanks for the advice, systran. Here's a revised version of my story, using the advice you gave me.

quote:

With a loud gasp, Dan came to. His eyes rolling about like a mouse scrambling in a mason jar, Dan struggle to focus. The only sound he could hear was the raspy pant of his sour tasting breath.

“Dad!” Ears humming and chest aching from suddenly tightening, Dan’s eyes hurt as they took a few seconds to focus. “Dad!” the noise came from his left ear. Popping into view, Jim’s tear stained blue eyes, fluffy yellow hair, and bright red snow boots stood out against the achingly cold snow.

Jim, Dan’s son, hands were gloved and started to pull on Dan’s mitt. After a few seconds, Jim gave up with a light squeak. It was useless.

Like trying to pick up a gold ingot with one hand, Jim was unable to wrap his padded fingers around Jim’s hand.

Struggling to stand up, Dan’s legs felt like kittens with mittens on. His legs were clumsy, unwieldy, and felt they were a size too small.

Static in appeared in his left eye and his right went dark. A tingling sensation blasted up his leg and his left knee popped to the right with a loud crunch, as if rusty bolts on a park bench popped after years of neglect.

Dan tried to gasp; a brain freeze crushed his breath.

Darkness gave became warmth. Dan slowly sank into the hot bath at the back of his mind.

Dan’s vision cloudy, Jim was giggling in his brown winter clothing, and his bright red booths. Jim was pulling Dan in fresh snow in a rickety wooden sled, both laughing as Jim did so.

It seemed as if he and Jim were smiling for a photo. All colour faded to black.

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012
OK. Here's an incomplete <500 word story I've written. I'm fine with harsh criticisms as long as you tell me why it sucks so bad.

quote:

“You know something, Rita? This is the quietest moment I’m ever going to get so I’m just gonna go ahead and say it.” Isaac took a deep breath and let out “I’m a Time Traveller! There, I said it! I, Isaac Anderson, use a small, portable time machine that I invented myself to go to various points in time and just do stuff!”

Rita laughed at that statement. Isaac must’ve gone mad all of a sudden and has decided to talk to her about random nonsense such as this. If Isaac’s statement was true, then shouldn’t he talk in a futuristic or historical manner or have a ton of trinkets in his carry. She saw Isaac looking at his watch as if he was waiting for something important.

“What are you waiting for, Isaac”

“Your surprise present. Who is supposed to be here any second now...”

Out of thin air, another Isaac appeared, holding what appeared to be a chunky device in his right hand and landed face first onto the soft grass in the park. He looked exactly like Isaac; Same short haircut, same blue shirt, same black jeans and Chuck Taylor’s, same everything. It’s as if he prepared for this to happen. It’s as if he wanted for all of this to happen. Rita’s eyes widened in shock and she took a huge step back from the Isaac of the present and the Isaac from the different time plane.

Isaac of the present told Rita “This, Rita, is Isaac Anderson from yesterday morning. He has a present for you”

Isaac of the past gave Rita a small, jewel encrusted box. She opened it to see something that she’d lost the day before.

“My Pearl Earrings!” Rita exclaimed. “But how... wha... how did you...”

Isaac of the past explained “Well, Rita. You left them at my place the other night and I thought, maybe it would be best if I just gave you at a certain time when you’d given up on finding them.” He turned to the Isaac of the Present and asked him “You want to go on, future me?”

“Would I, mate?” Isaac of the present replied. “As you obviously know, he is me and I am him. To prove that he is from the past, I want you to ask him a question. Go on, it’s not that hard.”

Rita had some doubts with the question. What should I say? She wondered, what question does he want me to ask? So, she came up to the two Isaac’s and slowly asked “Errm... What number between 1 and 10 are you thinking of?” The two Isaac’s looked at each other and gave a smirk to one another and then to Rita. The Isaac of the past announced “The present Isaac is holding a card with the number 8 written on it.” The Isaac of the present, without worry, took out a small, white card with the number 8 written on it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm reading this piece at an art gallery tomorrow, and though it's already been critted a bunch in the 'dome, I would like to know literally anything that bothers you about it. I'm kinda nervous about this. It's a little longer than 1K (1.5K) but I didn't think it was long enough to deserve its own thread.

edit: link vanished. I got approached by somebody after the reading, who wants to put the story in a book. Thanks for the help, guys. :):hf::radcat:

If you leave comments that help me fix it up, I will give you one (1) full line-by-line crit of the piece of your choosing. This offer lasts until tomorrow afternoon local time, so within about the next 18 hours.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 27, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Ok, done. Currently doing the big edit, thanks for all the input. :) I owe crits to Beef, Djeser, and somebody who used their real name. Could the third person let me know their username?

Fire me a piece whenever and I'll take a look at it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:siren:MercSystran Brawl:siren:

sebmojo posted:

:siren:MercTran FightBrawl:siren:

I want 2000 good words on these pictures; make sure to include a character that gives up something they care about. I'm giving you two weeks, so make it tight.

Due High Noon PST 31 July.

Mercedes:

Systran.

So big old sookybubba systran couldn't be bothered posting a brawl so I'm declaring him a loser and Merc the 'winner'.

Mark that down and look at it from time to time, Merc, but do it with your shame face on because this is pretty weak and given your respective skills I'd guess systran could have taken the win with almost anything he bothered to slap down.

Martello did a good crit which I agreed with, so add his points to these ones.

Mercedes posted:

To the Heavens
Words: 1989

Flash Rule: Character gives up something they care about

“They’re holding our funeral today,” Babar muttered as he took a seat next to Eureka. “You going?” nice opener

Eureka spat on the ground. Babar waited for her to launch into one of her legendary rants, but she kept quiet. I know you're aiming to convey character, but the rule against describing what characters didn't do is a good one and should only be broken when you have to. “What do you think we’ll find up there?”

Eureka tilted her head back and closed her eyes. “The sky,” she said dreamily. this isn't a terrible adverb, but you've conveyed it with the motion already.

“I know, I just…” Babar searched for the best way put what he thought into words. “There’s still plenty of food. We won’t run out in our lifetimes. Let someone else go see if people can live on the surface.”

“I can’t stay cooped up in here. If everyone waits for the next person to do something, nothing would be done.”

“No one’s ever made it back,” Babar said, determined to be the negative Nancy ugh . “Your grandpa never made it to the Grand Elevator. What makes you think we will?”

“We’re not slobbering pussies.” this is a good swear but it falls flat because we have no context. Overall so far though i like your setup well enough, this is a super bland infodump, where you're trying to give it some texture by unnecessarily overdescribing the characters motivations (e.g. the stuff I cut) Think of ways you could have conveyed this with some juice - what if they were trying to do something, or babar wanted something from eureka rather than just having a chat? or maybe you could give some rich details, senses, smells, tastes even.

Eureka stood at the front of the train car. She wore a leather coat tell me more dude and she breathed into her gas mask, ignoring the fog on the scratched this is the first interesting physical detail, and it's not that interesting tbh lenses.“What do we want?” She shouted at her men.

“To see the sky!”

“When do we want it?”

“We want it now!”

Eureka scrunched her lips upward in an approving frown WHAT and nodded her head in response to her team’s fighting spirit. The only thing that felt right was to pumped her fist in the air, screaming like an incoherent drunk distraught this is actually an interesting image but it kind of gets lost to reach the bottom of the last bottle of alcohol in the world.

Most of her team reciprocated her call to arms. cliche George, curiously enough, why? had hyped himself so much that he forgot how to breathe and promptly fainted. this is suddenly so slapstick it's hard to care - slapstick is fine, serious is fine, a combo is generally bad and confusing Babar was content on sitting and sulking. Caillou pretended his rifle was a rocket launcher what and shot a round into the air, punching a hole through the ceiling and prematurely ending the celebration.

Three unpleasant to who? pov things followed that moment: everyone turned on Caillou with their weapons raised, there was a roar that rattled the windows and Caillou temporarily WHAT so he temporarily peed himself but then sucked it back into his urethra dammit merc that is urologically implausible u r supposed to be a man of science lost a struggle with his bladder.

He staggered away from the windows, pointing to the one thing he did not want to see in the expedition. stop teasing me

“Wyvern!” Eureka shouted. “Everyone outside!”

If not for their predisposition to eat humans, Eureka could watch the silver wyverns snake their way through the air forever. while this is ok, you would have been better to have described the wyverns better rather than telling us how beautiful someone thought they were “Don’t waste your bullets,” she called out to her men, “Wait until they’re in close range and then unload on their faces.”

George snickered. He opened his mouth to deliver the most legendary of lines ever said in a life and death situation, wow that could have been really cool to read that line o well but that dickface Caillou drowned his words what words out with gunfire.

Caillou had a wide stance with a light machine gun in one hand and a belt of ammo draped over the other. “Come get some, you loving fairies!” this is just lazy dude.

The wyverns followed Caillour’s poignant no advice and came to get some. ok that was a bit funny, if obvious One tucked its wings close and fell towards the train like a silver already used silver missile. Bullets ricocheted harmlessly off its thick exterior buildings have exteriors. It unfurled its wings and beat them against gravity to keep from slamming into the train.

The tempest winds lifted Eureka off her feet and threw her backwards. She crashed into the guardrail with a metallic ping and bounced over it. She flung out her hands in an attempt to grab on to anything, found the base of the metal railing and clamped down. She shouted for help, but the sound of battle as well as the discordant screeches from the wyverns drowned her out.

She looked down and immediately cursed herself. It wasn’t because she couldn’t see the bottom of the cavern (though she did make a mental note to scalp the descendants of those who built the drat thing so high off the ground). Her severe displeasure came from her being unable to command her legs to move. The altercation with the metal rail must have done more damage than she thought. w/e

Eureka struggled to pull her body back up to the platform. Her arms ached, she was out of breath and she could be crippled for the rest of her probable short life, but at least she had defiantly kept both middle fingers up taunting Death. now I sort of almost like the gently caress U tone you've got going on all through this piece, but it's not reaaaaally tied to anything. they want to ... get up to the surface and ... have a look around? that's not a motivation. I know that's the prompt picture, but I think you could have made it much richer by adding some reason why your main character (who is?) desperately wanted and needed to get up there.

Unfortunately for her, Death is a fussy rear end in a top hat when people cheat him. pov

A wyvern landed on the last train car and the cabin crumpled under its massive weight. The wheels sparked as the train car bounced and rattled, making a valiant effort to stay on the rails.

Eureka looked towards the front of the train and saw they were close to entering a tunnel. wait so the train is moving? this is new to me. Thirty seconds was all she needed to reach the threshold where a derail won’t TENSE loving GODDAMIT YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES THIS IS THE 'POLISHED RE-POST' end in an impromptu flying lesson.

Caillou ran past and jumped to the following car, followed by George. The train car lurched to the side and Eureka slid towards the edge, clawing at the ground in an attempt to stop herself from sailing no, you plummet or fall to your death it is not a cruising holiday to her death.

Eureka saw her final hope sprinting past. “Babar! I need help!”

She knew he heard her. He looked at her and then back towards safety, unable to make up his mind. Eureka reached toward him and called out his name again. The train car bucked off the rail and slid. A screech, like fingernails on a chalkboard cliché; always look for a way to rephrase cliches, drew her attention to the rear of the train. The coupling that connected her car to the line of cars dangling off the side of the bridge snapped, releasing the extra weight to fall. okay so this is all pretty exciting, if confusing and poorly described, but there are no actual stakes apart from GO TO PLACE BECAUSE

The sudden loss of weight made the car Eureka was on to pop up, hurling her into the air. When she came down, she wrapped her arms over the railing, but the momentum made her slip and she slammed her chin on the metal. Dazed, her grip loosened and she slid off, but at the last moment she took ahold fffffFFFFFFffffoh ok that's an actual word not a typo - as you were of something, hm I love somethings was it a knickknack phaps they are my favourite sort of something and found herself once again hanging from the edge of the guard rail. this is tolerably imagined in how eureka moves around the scene but tighten your timing (at the sound of the the xxx, she xxx'd while the xxxx xxxx'd all over her)

She peered over the edge and something WHAT next time you write 'something' in a story please punch yourself really hard in the dick thx in her chest sunk when she realized Babar had abandoned her. So much for a decade of friendship. She screamed his name like a curse, yet still held on. well duh i don't think you need to mention that she didn't choose to fall to her death it can be taken as read imo The train car ran completely off the rails and dragging alongside GRAMMAR GODDAMMIT the bridge. Up ahead was the tunnel and if the train car failed to kill her, the collision with earth it's Earth (for the planet) or earth (for dirt). you mean 'the ground' would.

Eureka started to make peace with her god until TIMING she heard a wyvern’s discordant cry. She looked down and saw a winged serpent passing under her.

If she were to die, it might as well be when she was doing something extraordinarily dangerous and badass.

She let go of the railing and fell towards the wyvern, unfastening WEAK VERB, use 'wrenching' or 'grabbing' a climbing axe from her side. With all the adrenaline-enhanced strength she could muster, she drove the point through the wyvern’s hide.

The wyvern sliced through the air in a frenzy. Eureka had one hand on her axe and the other gripping the wyvern’s wing.PROOFREAD BITCHWhen the wyvern stopped fighting her, every alarm in Eureka’s head rang.CLICHE

The wyvern was flying straight towards the train wreckage at the mouth of the tunnel. Bastard’s trying to scrape me off his back, Eureka thought. . prrrrrrOOOOOOOOffffff She had one last thought before she flew into the smoke billowing at the mouth of the tunnel: This is gonna fuckin’ hurt.

Eureka rolled to the side and hung against the wyvern’s flank seconds before a shower of rocks exploded above her. TIMING I don't know why this reads funny but it does She was wrenched away from the wyvern and tumbled through the air, and then crashed into the ground. She bounced along the rails until the sharp whack of flesh against an immovable surface BE VAGUER PLZ I HATE DETAILS LIKE POISON, VICIOUS GREEN POISON knocked her out.

The stab of overwhelming pain in the side jarred Eureka awake. She showed her displeasure by shouting, “Stop!” until whoever was moving her did. ohh god clunky.

“Holy poo poo, she’s not dead.”

She opened her eyes to find George and Caillou watching her. “Not even close, baby,” she said, chuckling. The pain came right back. She groaned and moved her hands to what felt like broken ribs. “How much farther we got until the Grand Elevator?”

“gently caress’s sake, you’re in no condition-”

“Shut it, Caillou! Where’s Babar?” Her words were venom-tipped.

Caillou winced but he kept his composure. “He’s back at the wreckage trying to salvage whatever food he can.”

“You made a wyvern your bitch!” George threw both hands in the air. “That was loving awesome!”

“What was awesome?” Babar’s inflection flattened as he came around the corner pulling a dolly of food. “Good to see you alive, Eureka.”

She reached for her pistol, but it wasn’t there. She wondered if she should be thankful she lacked the tools to punish Babar for his cowardice.

“George, I need you to carry me. I can’t walk,” she said evenly. good adverb, yay

Two hours rolled by, every moment spent listening to George and Caillou arguing about who started the argument they were now having. dum de doo

“Am I the only one who hears something following us?” Babar asked.

Everyone stopped. Caillou shrugged. “You must be imagining-”

The unmistakable sounds of muffled footsteps from a very large creature oh, those sort of creatures, so poorly described, so horrifying echoed through the tunnel.

Death was one fussy bastard.

They ran hard. To Eureka, every jostle felt like a knife in her side. cliche But when they reached the Grand Elevator, the pain seemed to be well was it or not you're the goddam writer worth it. The elevator was massive. They could fit the entire train on the platform if they were set side by side. She looked up and marvelled at GGGGRRRRR elevator shaft. It was at an angle instead of being straight up and down like others had told her. She saw a pinpoint of light at the very end. Almost there.

“How do you work this drat thing?” Babar shouted, looking frantically around the edges of the platform.

“Eureka!” Caillou cried. “How do we work this?” The wyvern was running now and getting closer.

Eureka pointed to a small panel on the far side. “Switch. Flip,” she said, still out of sorts. WEAK

Caillou relayed the information. “A switch! Flip the switch!”

Babar strained against the switch, but he couldn’t move it. “Caillou, it’s rusted!”

Caillou was beside him using his rifle as a lever. “This is why you should lift more than a food to your face, you little girl.” He pulled down and with their combined efforts the switch squealed all the way down to the on position. THAT IS A LOT OF WORDS ON FLIPPING A SWITCH

Red lights flared up and a siren wailed. The elevator shuddered violently until timing the gears rotated, taking them up a diagonal ascent.

Curious, George looked over the edge of the platform. He then took several unsteady steps away.

A giant claw appeared over the edge of the platform and with protest from the elevator, the wyvern pulled itself up. Blood seeped from deep cuts on its back and wings and it had a noticeable limp. It was also staring directly at Eureka. It flared its nostrils and charged. OKAy this is the first actually interesting conflict: wyvern wants to murder eureka, cannot. go wyvern I say.

George forgot that Eureka couldn’t walk on her own pov dammit and dropped her in his attempt to get out of the way.

Eureka dragged herself away from the wyvern, but it was easily gaining on her.

With a shout, Babar slammed the spike of his climbing axe into the wyvern’s eye. The serpent thrashed its head around and in a misstep, it tripped over the railing and fell below.

“And stay the gently caress away!” Babar said. He reared his head back and spat.

After a few seconds of awkward silence, George pipes up. “Did you just spit in your gas mask?”

The elevator finally reached the top. The four of them looked above to the gray, cloudy sky through the steel wreckage of the Eiffel Tower. oh look at that it's the prompt picture.

George carried Eureka to a shopping cart, and set her down in it..

“So, what’s next?” Babar asked.

She looked at Babar, her hand going to her empty pistol holster. “Time to explore. And Babar?”

“Yea?”

“Thanks for growing a pair.” weak ending, though I guess it hints at what the story could have been about.. This has some good popcorny things happening in it, and has the bones of an interesting story, I guess, but it's terribly weak. Next time you try to do a story with multiple characters do a bit of prep; what does each character fear, what do they love, what are they willing to do about it?

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014
Hey Everyone,

I did the Mercbrawl over in the Thunderdome. I wanted to write a kind of light-hearted and funny story, and I did. Then I read it and it just didn't work for me, so I wrote another story, which is the one I submitted just now for the brawl. Since I wrote this other story I'd like some feedback on it. I think it's actually pretty good because it reminds me of being in high school, and I wanted to kind of channel that embarrassing feeling while adding in some light-hearted fantasy elements. Without further ado, here is the story:

The Curse of Bad Character 1057 words.

Jason went by his middle name, Dalton, because ‘Dalton’ didn’t have any sibilants in it. That’s what his speech therapist called all the sounds he lisped. He never felt it was fair that the word ‘lisp’ and ‘sibilants,’ and all the words related to his problem included lots of the letter ‘s.’ Dalton was really good at avoiding that letter. He lived in Jackson, M.I., and he wasn’t thirteen years old, he was ‘about to turn fourteen.’

Stephanie was talking to him now, the girl with the really big boobs, bigger than a lot of highschool girls’.

“Did we have Math homework?” She asked.

“Uhh, yeah. Do you want to copy mine?”

“No, just tell me what it was.”

Page seventeen, problems six through twentyseven. gently caress.

“Uhh...take a look, I wrote it down in my notebook.”

She leaned down to look, and he looked down too, at her boobs. How was he ever going to have sex without being able to say ‘sex?’ ‘Want to gently caress?’ No, girls probably don’t like that unless they are already very horny. Maybe, ‘I want to make love to you,’ would work.

“Thanks!” she said.

She started to walk away, but he’d barely even talked to her.

“Hey,” Dalton said, “uh, are you tssssure you don’t, ahh--do you really not want to copy mine?”

“No, it’s fine.”

She heard the lisp, it was over. He’d never make love to her.

“Okay, well, uhh, I’ll tssccheee you insstthide the classsttthhhroom.”

gently caress.

“K, see you.”

--

Dalton kicked the hacky sack to his friend Sean, who he usually just called, ‘dude,’ or ‘man.’ Sean was better at hacky sack, better at getting girls, had cooler clothes, and most importantly his voice was deep and smooth and had no lisp.

“Hey man, if you could, would you take my lisp from me? Maybe for just like a day.”

“Yeah, sure, could be fun.”

Dalton suppressed his anger, dropping the hacky sack. Sean would do it, just like that, huh? He didn’t understand how bad it was, and he was always just soooo generous. What a great guy!

“Fine, say it out loud, say it, to God, say you want my lisp!”

Sean kicked the hacky sack and it landed on the back of his head--he was Jewish--and said, “God! Give me Dalton’s lisp! I want to spare him this horrible curse!”

“Don’t joke man, it is a curse,” Dalton said. Wait, he said it, he didn’t tsssssay it. It wasn’t a curttth. His lisp was gone!

--

In the hall after P.E., Stephanie walked by, boobs bouncing. To think she had just been in the girls’ locker room, naked, with her boobs just out in the open. Did girls change their bras for P.E.?

“Hey, Stephanie,” he said, amazed he could say her name, “did you...successfully...finish the assigned homework...problems?” Dalton’s heart was racing, and rather than stumbling over how to avoid ‘s’ and ‘th’ sounds, he couldn’t help but say as many of them as possible. “Seems like you thought it wouldn't be so simple, so I was searching for you to see if you still needed my hel--assistance.”

“Uhh, thanks, Danny, but--”

“Dalton, it’s Dalton. Actually my real name is Jason. I guess you can call me Jason, that’s what my good friends and girlfriends call me, you know?”

“Okay, so, um, thanks, but I’m going to go now.”

Just before she turned away, he saw Sean exit the locker room.

“Wait! This is my friend, Sean! Say hello to Stephanie, Sean.”

Sean smiled, white teeth flashing, and said, “Hey sstthephanie, I’m stthean.”

“Hey Sean, I saw you playing basketball the other day, you seemed really good.”

“Yeah, I love bassthketball, I’m best at ssrree-point ttshhots.”

Stephanie’s eyes narrowed, she must be confused, remembering that Dalton had the lisp.

“I was playing volleyball on the other side of the gym, I liked watching you play though.”

Now she was smiling, they both were. Everyone but Dalton was all smiles.

“Hey, Stephanie, I like basketball too, and I can even pronounce it correctly. Ever heard of a basketball player that can’t say the word ‘basket,’ without getting spit all over you?”

“Danny, that’s not a very nice thing to say.” She squinted at him.

“It’s Dalton--I mean Jason, I’m Jason. Anyway, we’re good friends, just joking around, but seriously can you imagine this guy up in your face, he’d be all, ‘I want to kittthhssshh you,’ and spit would get all over you, and then you’d be all like, ‘you sure you have enough saliva left for that?’ Or maybe he’ll start listening to indie music and become a...a...lispster.”

Dalton guffawed at his joke, but Stephanie wasn’t laughing.

“Sorry Sean, this guy’s being a jerk. Can you walk me to my locker?”

“I can,” Dalton said, “I’ll walk you there.”

“No, I want Sean to.”

“But he has a lisp!”

“I don’t care.”

Dalton ran out of ideas, so he shoved Sean, and Sean slid onto the tile. The students walking past all stopped, hungry for a fight.

Sean stared back up at Dalton. “Take back your curth, you thit head!”

Dalton and the other kids looked down at his friend, laying on the ground. Dalton pointed and laughed. “I have no stinkin’ idea what this crazy son-of-a-bitch is gettin’ at,” Dalton said, popping his collar.

“Dude, what the hell is your problem?” Tony, the captain of the soccer team, stepped forward. “I’d think that you of all people would understand his pain. You’re being a dick.”

Dalton looked over to Stephanie. She wrinkled her nose and turned away, like he smelled of bad cheese.

“Hey sexy, don’t be sad,” Dalton said.

Somebody threw a book at him, and he wheeled around to face his attacker.

“Whoever tssrrrew that better come thay that to my faytthh.”

The crowd snickered.

“Thut up, all of you!”

Somebody pushed him into the locker, and Stephanie helped his friend off the ground. “I’m sorry Danny was such a jerk to you.”

“It’s not a big deal,” said Sean, and he realized his lisp curse was gone.

“Walk me to my locker now?”

Dalton reached out his hand and yelled “Thepanie!” and then fell to his knees and sobbed.

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

Cache Cab posted:

I did the Mercbrawl over in the Thunderdome. I wanted to write a kind of light-hearted and funny story, and I did. Then I read it and it just didn't work for me, so I wrote another story, which is the one I submitted just now for the brawl. Since I wrote this other story I'd like some feedback on it. I think it's actually pretty good because it reminds me of being in high school, and I wanted to kind of channel that embarrassing feeling while adding in some light-hearted fantasy elements. Without further ado, here is the story:

As your brawl-buddy/adversary, I'll take a quick stab and give you my general reaction. No line-by-line because I am a hack (but also because I'm at work and I got poo poo to do)

Overall I was entertained, though I did find myself thinking "I get it, he has a lisp" a few times in regards to the dialogue, definitely felt a bit overdone to me. As a result I felt the last line (which I do like) lost effectiveness. To your point I did feel like it had a good sense of the general awkwardness/cluelessness of high school, like in some of the dialogue (though some of it sounded a bit UNintentionally awkward) and Dalton's misplaced angst.

Other nitpicky poo poo:

-When Dalton gets a book thrown at him he responds with something like "say that to my face," which doesn't make a ton of sense.

-It didn't really hit the "inappropriate" feel to me, per the prompt - which I also feel like I failed spectacularly at achieving with mine. (But I do think the one that you actually submitted fits more)

-I also groaned audibly at the "lispster" joke, but to each his own haha

Anathema Device
Dec 22, 2009

by Ion Helmet
This is an old Thunderdome story of mine reworked based on crits and pared down drastically. I want to know if it works as a complete story, and any other feedback is welcome.

Whiskey, Bile, and Tears
596 Words

Mom’s headstone is white marble, shiny in the starlight. It’s wrong, all wrong between the chipping old granite ones, but it will do. I sprinkle salt around the grave, kneel in front of shiny white marble, and hold the whiskey bottle out in both hands. My throat grows tight and painful. My eyes well up. I will not cry. Please, Mom, come to me. I brought you an offering. Please…

Carefully, I open the bottle and pour a shot onto the grave. “Please, Mom,” I whisper.

“You bring me poison?” the shade says. “How unlike you.”

I brought you what I knew you’d come for. I lean back, pulling the bottle away from her grasping hands. They pass through mine, cold and slimy under my skin. “It’s traditional.”

She lunges again, clawing at my throat. I can’t breathe past the slimy, rotten sensation of cold on the back of my tongue. Gagging, I force the words out. “Back! Heed me now, shade! Harm none. I come with an offering and you will not receive it unless you heed me."

She stumbles back under the force of my will. “What do you want?”

My mother. “Answers.”

“To what questions?”

They bubble up and catch in my throat until I gag on the lingering taste of rot. I lean over and spew bile across the slippery, whiskey-scented grass. Even heaving on the ground I have some protection, and I clutch the whiskey bottle to my chest.

But the shade comes forward and crouches beside me. I feel her cold touch on my back, rubbing awkward circles as I have done for her on a hundred hungover mornings.

“You came,” she whispers. “You finally came to see your old mom.” And it’s so Mom - the quick change of mood, the subtle rebuke. My body spasms with silent sobs. My tears sink into the dirt of her grave.

A fitting offering for my mother: bile and whiskey and tears.

“Mom.” Tears leak into the corners of my smile, fill my mouth with salt.

She walks to salt-line and stops. “Don’t trust me?”

“Not all spirits are as friendly as you, Mom. I couldn’t know how you’d be.” You tried to choke me, remember?

“What answers did you come here for?”

“When you died. Why? Why go to that rear end in a top hat?” My cheeks are raw from crying, my eyes swollen and tight.

“Because I couldn’t afford to drive to a real doctor,” she says. You couldn’t afford to die, either, and leave me all alone.

“Why go at all? Was the thought of another child so horrible?” my voice is hoarse.

“You think I could have another kid?” She hacks up choking laugh. “With your father off somewhere and your grandparents not talking to me? You think I’d have gone a whole nine months without my whiskey?”

The last question burns like the bile had, coming up. “Did you want to abort me, too?”

“Oh.” Her eyes finally turn from the bottle and meet mine. “Oh, oh honey. No, never you. I just couldn’t handle it right then. But never you.”

Summoned spirits can’t lie. I’m shaking all over, but her attention has turned away. “Someone’s coming,” she says. The orange moon rising behind her lights her all in shades of yellow, like the jaundice has finally caught up with her. “Give me my whiskey, and run.”

I pour the whiskey into the sodden grass. Her shade dissolves into the air as I clamber to my feet and run.

Cache Cab posted:

I like the premise of this story, and I like the first half or so, but the characterization loses me at the end. Dalton’s actions escalate, but I’m not able to follow his emotions and motivations through the story. I get that he’s a dick, but I want to understand why he’s a dick.

Jason went by his middle name, Dalton, because ‘Dalton’ didn’t have any sibilants in it. I like the opener; it presents both a problem and a solution to the problem. I’m prepared to like Dalton here. That’s what his speech therapist called all the sounds he lisped. He never felt it was fair that the word ‘lisp’ and ‘sibilants,’ and all the words related to his problem included lots of the letter ‘s.’ Dalton was really good at avoiding that letter. He lived in Jackson, M.I., and he wasn’t thirteen years old, he was ‘about to turn fourteen.’ I like this whole opening paragraph. It sounds age appropriate for an about-to-be-fourteen year old who isn’t very mature.

Stephanie was talking to him now, This transition is very abrupt. the girl with the really big boobs, bigger than a lot of highschool girls’. Here I’m starting to think that he’s a bit shallow, but he is about-to-be-fourteen, so I’m still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

“Did we have Math homework?” She asked.

“Uhh, yeah. Do you want to copy mine?”

“No, just tell me what it was.”

Page seventeen, problems six through twentyseven. gently caress. Nice.

“Uhh...take a look, I wrote it down in my notebook.” I like this work-around. I actually like Dalton so far; he’s awkward and acutely aware of his lisp, but he’s intelligent and works around it.

She leaned down to look, and he looked down too, at her boobs. How was he ever going to have sex without being able to say ‘sex?’ ‘Want to gently caress?’ No, girls probably don’t like that unless they are already very horny. Maybe, ‘I want to make love to you,’ would work.

“Thanks!” she said.

She started to walk away, but he’d barely even talked to her.

“Hey,” Dalton said, “uh, are you tssssure I feel like “are you sure” isn’t a phrase he’d use by mistake - it’s something common he’d be in the habit of avoiding. You need him to lisp here, but this line makes me aware that it’s a plot device rather than feeling natural. you don’t, ahh--do you really not want to copy mine?”

“No, it’s fine.”

She heard the lisp, it was over. He’d never make love to her.

“Okay, well, uhh, I’ll tssccheee you insstthide the classsttthhhroom.” And again here. He even avoids “S”s in his thoughts, so having him say something like this feels inauthentic.

gently caress.

“K, see you.”

--

Dalton kicked the hacky sack to his friend Sean, who he usually just called, ‘dude,’ or ‘man.’ Sean was better at hacky sack, better at getting girls, had cooler clothes, and most importantly his voice was deep and smooth and had no lisp.

“Hey man, if you could, would you take my lisp shouldn’t he lisp here? from me? Maybe for just like a day.”

“Yeah, sure, could be fun.”

Dalton suppressed his anger, dropping the hacky sack. Sean would do it, just like that, huh? He didn’t understand how bad it was, and he was always just soooo generous. What a great guy! This is the first place where the emotions don’t really come across to me. I understand why Dalton would be angry, but I don’t feel his anger.

“Fine, say it out loud, say it, to God, say you want my lisp!”

Sean kicked the hacky sack and it landed on the back of his head--he was Jewish--and said, “God! Give me Dalton’s lisp! I want to spare him this horrible curse!”

“Don’t joke man, it is a curse,” Dalton said. Wait, he said it, he didn’t tsssssay it. It wasn’t a curttth. His lisp was gone!

--

In the hall after P.E., Stephanie walked by, boobs bouncing. To think she had just been in the girls’ locker room, naked, with her boobs just out in the open. Did girls change their bras for P.E.?

“Hey, Stephanie,” he said, amazed he could say her name, “did you...successfully...finish the assigned homework...problems?” Dalton’s heart was racing, and rather than stumbling over how to avoid ‘s’ and ‘th’ sounds, he couldn’t help but say as many of them as possible. “Seems like you thought it wouldn't be so simple, so I was searching for you to see if you still needed my hel--assistance.”

“Uhh, thanks, Danny, but--”

“Dalton, it’s Dalton. Actually my real name is Jason. I guess you can call me Jason, that’s what my good friends and girlfriends call me, you know?” This feels almost over-the-top awkward to me. I guess he’s never really talked to people much because he’s been so embarrassed about his lisp?

“Okay, so, um, thanks, but I’m going to go now.”

Just before she turned away, he saw Sean exit the locker room.

“Wait! This is my friend, Sean! Say hello to Stephanie, Sean.”

Sean smiled, white teeth flashing, and said, “Hey sstthephanie, I’m stthean.”

“Hey Sean, I saw you playing basketball the other day, you seemed really good.”

“Yeah, I love bassthketball, I’m best at ssrree-point ttshhots.” This bit of dialogue seems centered around how many “s”s you can fit into it. That makes sense for Dalton, because he’s dealt with a lisp his whole life, but not for Sean, who hasn’t.

Stephanie’s eyes narrowed, she must be confused, remembering that Dalton had the lisp.

“I was playing volleyball on the other side of the gym, I liked watching you play though.”

Now she was smiling, they both were. Everyone but Dalton was all smiles.

“Hey, Stephanie, I like basketball too, and I can even pronounce it correctly. Ever heard of a basketball player that can’t say the word ‘basket,’ without getting spit all over you?” I get that Dalton isn’t supposed to be very likeable, but this feels a bit unprovoked. I’d like to see him be ignored for a bit longer; I want to be able to have some sympathy for him when he lashes out.

“Danny, that’s not a very nice thing to say.” She squinted at him.

“It’s Dalton--I mean Jason, I’m Jason. Anyway, we’re good friends, just joking around, but seriously can you imagine this guy up in your face, he’d be all, ‘I want to kittthhssshh you,’ and spit would get all over you, and then you’d be all like, ‘you sure you have enough saliva left for that?’ Or maybe he’ll start listening to indie music and become a...a...lispster.” This is another paragraph I just can’t connect to. It feels like it goes too far and the comments start to lose their impact. Dalton has to be aware that what he’s doing isn’t right, because he’s been on the receiving end before, so he has to have a strong motivation for doing it, and I just don’t feel that..

Dalton guffawed at his joke, but Stephanie wasn’t laughing.

“Sorry Sean, this guy’s being a jerk. Can you walk me to my locker?”

“I can,” Dalton said, “I’ll walk you there.” What’s Dalton thinking and feeling as the situation slips out of his control?

“No, I want Sean to.”

“But he has a lisp!”

“I don’t care.”

Dalton ran out of ideas, Still not feeling his emotions escalate with his actions. so he shoved Sean, and Sean slid onto the tile. The students walking past all stopped, hungry for a fight.

Sean stared back up at Dalton. “Take back your curth, you thit head!”

Dalton and the other kids looked down at his friend, laying on the ground. Dalton pointed and laughed. “I have no stinkin’ idea what this crazy son-of-a-bitch is gettin’ at,” Dalton said, popping his collar. I’m feeling no connection to Dalton now. I don’t understand why he’s doing the things he’s doing.

“Dude, what the hell is your problem?” Tony, the captain of the soccer team, stepped forward. “I’d think that you of all people would understand his pain. You’re being a dick.”

Dalton looked over to Stephanie. She wrinkled her nose and turned away, like he smelled of bad cheese.

“Hey sexy, don’t be sad,” Dalton said.

Somebody threw a book at him, and he wheeled around to face his attacker.

“Whoever tssrrrew that better come thay that to my faytthh.” Somebody already pointed this out.

The crowd snickered.

“Thut up, all of you!”

Somebody pushed him into the locker, and Stephanie helped his friend off the ground. “I’m sorry Danny was such a jerk to you.”

“It’s not a big deal,” said Sean, and he realized his lisp curse was gone.

“Walk me to my locker now?”

Dalton reached out his hand and yelled “Thepanie!” and then fell to his knees and sobbed.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My past stories have been very lackluster in terms of characterization. I'm hoping to change that, by focusing primarily on developing a strong central character and making a personal crisis the center of my newest work. To that end, this is the start of the story, and I'd appreciate any insight about it.

Plague, 559 words

Emily McCullough had raised a palace in her mind. With careful curation, she had drawn close each thing that she held dear, and then she had shut the gate. She was not unhappy, or even lonely; Emily was plenty company for herself.

The outer world did not interest her very much. It had never been kind to her. She was not a pretty girl- she had always carried a little too much weight, been a little too plain. She had a lazy left eye, and you could see it when she turned her head. Emily kept her head straight.

When you aren’t pretty, it’s about more than being loved. You become translucent. People find you uninteresting to speak to, and prefer to elide your presence when they can. You don’t show up in photographs.

Emily found herself sufficient, and with immaculate severity, she shut the world out. For no one but herself, Emily kept herself austere. She did not pursue friendships, and she was not in the habit of doing favors. In fact, she seldom spoke.

These qualities made her ideal for a certain line of work. Her uncle sold her a brick of hash on a monthly basis, and she supplemented this with her personal prescriptions for Adderall and Xanax. Dealing came easily to her; she had a natural sense for business. It was the money that it brought her which allowed her to reign over her world. She didn’t have to lean on her mother, and she never wanted for a thing.

She examined herself in the full-length mirror on her bedroom door: plain black top, studded leather belt, black bondage pants, and steel-toed combat boots. Next came makeup. Emily seated herself at the vanity and set to work, beginning by applying a light layer of white foundation to her face, sweeping the brush in slow, practiced motions along the contours of her cheeks and jawline. With a dark blue eyeliner pencil, she drew a thin outline around her eyes. The focal point of her features was her lips, a closed gate painted indigo.

When you aren’t pretty, everything has to be just so. Any flaw which might mar the image of an average person is perceived tenfold upon you, and any lapse in judgement or decorum earns instantaneous damnation. Emily did not delude herself regarding her appearance, but she saw no reason not to project total mastery of her person. All it took was discipline and vigilance.

Emily packed her messenger bag with the usual things: her textbooks, a three-ring binder, several stamp bags, each packed with a gram of hash, a pair of pill bottles, and her compact carry pistol. The handgun was a Smith & Wesson Shield, which she’d bought from one of her uncle’s friends. She’d appended shimmering costume jewelry to the black grip.

Emily knew that it wasn’t necessarily the brightest idea to be carrying a weapon to school, but she figured that if anyone went through her bag, she was sunk anyways. The pistol was her scepter, the seat of her imperious power. No matter what anyone said or did, though they might not have known it, they did so only by her tacit and merciful consent. If at any moment she decided that they had transgressed her beyond her tolerance, she could destroy them. In this way, she became unassailable.

(I'm especially interested to find if the introduction of the gun is jarring enough to take you completely out of the story. It is going to be surprising, of course, to see a teenage girl bringing a pistol to school, but it does have an important function in the story and my hope is that it works to strengthen the core of her character, while also calling her conduct and beliefs into question. If it becomes a point that makes you question the integrity of the story or strikes you as otherwise disruptive, I'll have to rethink how I'm going to handle certain plot elements.)

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

My problem with this is that it felt like I was being beaten around the head with the moral.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anathema Device posted:

This is an old Thunderdome story of mine reworked based on crits and pared down drastically. I want to know if it works as a complete story, and any other feedback is welcome.

Whiskey, Bile, and Tears
596 Words

Mom’s headstone is white marble, shiny in the starlight. It’s wrong, all wrong between the chipping old granite ones, but it will do. I sprinkle salt around the grave, kneel in front of shiny white marble, and hold the whiskey bottle out in both hands. My throat grows tight and painful. My eyes well up. I will not cry. Please, Mom, come to me. I brought you an offering. Please…

Carefully, I open the bottle and pour a shot onto the grave. “Please, Mom,” I whisper.

“You bring me poison?” the shade says. “How unlike you.”

I brought you what I knew you’d come for. I lean back, pulling the bottle away from her grasping hands. They pass through mine, cold and slimy under my skin. “It’s traditional.”

She lunges again, clawing at my throat. I can’t breathe past the slimy, rotten sensation of cold on the back of my tongue. Gagging, I force the words out. “Back! Heed me now, shade! Harm none. I come with an offering and you will not receive it unless you heed me."

She stumbles back under the force of my will. “What do you want?”

My mother. “Answers.”

“To what questions?”

They bubble up and catch in my throat until I gag on the lingering taste of rot. I lean over and spew bile across the slippery, whiskey-scented grass. Even heaving on the ground I have some protection, and I clutch the whiskey bottle to my chest.

But the shade comes forward and crouches beside me. I feel her cold touch on my back, rubbing awkward circles as I have done for her on a hundred hungover mornings.

“You came,” she whispers. “You finally came to see your old mom.” And it’s so Mom - the quick change of mood, the subtle rebuke. My body spasms with silent sobs. My tears sink into the dirt of her grave.

A fitting offering for my mother: bile and whiskey and tears.

“Mom.” Tears leak into the corners of my smile, fill my mouth with salt.

She walks to salt-line and stops. “Don’t trust me?”

“Not all spirits are as friendly as you, Mom. I couldn’t know how you’d be.” You tried to choke me, remember?

“What answers did you come here for?”

“When you died. Why? Why go to that rear end in a top hat?” My cheeks are raw from crying, my eyes swollen and tight.

“Because I couldn’t afford to drive to a real doctor,” she says. You couldn’t afford to die, either, and leave me all alone.

“Why go at all? Was the thought of another child so horrible?” my voice is hoarse.

“You think I could have another kid?” She hacks up choking laugh. “With your father off somewhere and your grandparents not talking to me? You think I’d have gone a whole nine months without my whiskey?”

The last question burns like the bile had, coming up. “Did you want to abort me, too?”

“Oh.” Her eyes finally turn from the bottle and meet mine. “Oh, oh honey. No, never you. I just couldn’t handle it right then. But never you.”

Summoned spirits can’t lie. I’m shaking all over, but her attention has turned away. “Someone’s coming,” she says. The orange moon rising behind her lights her all in shades of yellow, like the jaundice has finally caught up with her. “Give me my whiskey, and run.”

I pour the whiskey into the sodden grass. Her shade dissolves into the air as I clamber to my feet and run.

This is a much cleaner rendition of your core idea, so good edits in that respect; but unfortunately that shows up the problems with the thinness of your core idea. It's a family history lesson with ghost trappings; and it feels like it's more significant for you than for your readers. So drunken ghost mum didn't want to abort our protag. Cool? So? It feels like this could be a perfectly competent part of a larger story but by itself it doesn't work.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Anonymous Robot posted:

My past stories have been very lackluster in terms of characterization. I'm hoping to change that, by focusing primarily on developing a strong central character and making a personal crisis the center of my newest work. To that end, this is the start of the story, and I'd appreciate any insight about it.

Plague, 559 words

Emily McCullough had raised a palace in her mind. With careful curation, she had drawn close each thing that she held dear, and then she had shut the gate. She was not unhappy, or even lonely; Emily was plenty company for herself.

The outer world did not interest her very much. It had never been kind to her. She was not a pretty girl- she had always carried a little too much weight, been a little too plain. She had a lazy left eye, and you could see it when she turned her head. Emily kept her head straight.

When you aren’t pretty, it’s about more than being loved. You become translucent. People find you uninteresting to speak to, and prefer to elide your presence when they can. You don’t show up in photographs.

Emily found herself sufficient, and with immaculate severity, she shut the world out. For no one but herself, Emily kept herself austere. She did not pursue friendships, and she was not in the habit of doing favors. In fact, she seldom spoke.

These qualities made her ideal for a certain line of work. Her uncle sold her a brick of hash on a monthly basis, and she supplemented this with her personal prescriptions for Adderall and Xanax. Dealing came easily to her; she had a natural sense for business. It was the money that it brought her which allowed her to reign over her world. She didn’t have to lean on her mother, and she never wanted for a thing.

She examined herself in the full-length mirror on her bedroom door: plain black top, studded leather belt, black bondage pants, and steel-toed combat boots. Next came makeup. Emily seated herself at the vanity and set to work, beginning by applying a light layer of white foundation to her face, sweeping the brush in slow, practiced motions along the contours of her cheeks and jawline. With a dark blue eyeliner pencil, she drew a thin outline around her eyes. The focal point of her features was her lips, a closed gate painted indigo.

When you aren’t pretty, everything has to be just so. Any flaw which might mar the image of an average person is perceived tenfold upon you, and any lapse in judgement or decorum earns instantaneous damnation. Emily did not delude herself regarding her appearance, but she saw no reason not to project total mastery of her person. All it took was discipline and vigilance.

Emily packed her messenger bag with the usual things: her textbooks, a three-ring binder, several stamp bags, each packed with a gram of hash, a pair of pill bottles, and her compact carry pistol. The handgun was a Smith & Wesson Shield, which she’d bought from one of her uncle’s friends. She’d appended shimmering costume jewelry to the black grip.

Emily knew that it wasn’t necessarily the brightest idea to be carrying a weapon to school, but she figured that if anyone went through her bag, she was sunk anyways. The pistol was her scepter, the seat of her imperious power. No matter what anyone said or did, though they might not have known it, they did so only by her tacit and merciful consent. If at any moment she decided that they had transgressed her beyond her tolerance, she could destroy them. In this way, she became unassailable.

(I'm especially interested to find if the introduction of the gun is jarring enough to take you completely out of the story. It is going to be surprising, of course, to see a teenage girl bringing a pistol to school, but it does have an important function in the story and my hope is that it works to strengthen the core of her character, while also calling her conduct and beliefs into question. If it becomes a point that makes you question the integrity of the story or strikes you as otherwise disruptive, I'll have to rethink how I'm going to handle certain plot elements.)

The characterizations themselves are OK, I think the issue here is the way that your characterization fits into your largest narrative.

The biggest problem is that what you have here is relatively boring. This is a 500 word exposition dump, all delivered before we have any reason to really care about the character. We get five paragraphs of exposition before the character takes a single action, and when she finally does act it is just to look into the mirror, which is then followed by another paragraph of exposition. By the time we reach the revelation that she is carrying a gun the impact is muted because the readers eyes are glazing over.

This is not to say that there's nothing interesting in your story. I like the psychological portrait your drawing and I like the way you've placed these little insights into how she behaves and how her appearance has affected her. The problem is that you need to be spreading this information out a bit more, and you also need to be looking for ways to show us this information through the actions of the character rather than just having the narrator tell us.

It is hard to say more without seeing the rest of your story. However, if I were you I would think really long and hard about whether this is the right place to start your story. Opening with a character waking up and getting dressed is both a cliche and a fairly boring way to set off a story. You might want to just skip this part and start the story at whatever point where the conflict driving the narrative actually happens.

Alternatively, you might at least think about revealing the presence of the gun earlier, maybe in the first two or three paragraphs. That at least will perk up the readers interest and encourage them to keep reading.

Your writing style is competent and you've got a couple nice sentences but a lot of your descriptions didn't quite work for me. "Elide your presence", "immaculate severity", "a closed gate painted indigo", "transgressed her beyond her tolerance" all took me out of the narrative and felt like attempts to be a bit fancy that instead fell flat. You also have a few sentences that could be rewritten to be much stronger. The one that stuck out the most was "Emily knew that it wasn’t necessarily the brightest idea to be carrying a weapon to school." Why not just say "Emily knew it was dangerous to be carrying a weapon to school"?

All that having been said, there was a lot in this piece that I enjoyed and I'm curious to know what direction the narrative is going in. So all these issues aside your story did capture my interest and I would definitely encourage you to keep working on it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Helsing posted:

The characterizations themselves are OK, I think the issue here is the way that your characterization fits into your largest narrative.

The biggest problem is that what you have here is relatively boring. This is a 500 word exposition dump, all delivered before we have any reason to really care about the character. We get five paragraphs of exposition before the character takes a single action, and when she finally does act it is just to look into the mirror, which is then followed by another paragraph of exposition. By the time we reach the revelation that she is carrying a gun the impact is muted because the readers eyes are glazing over.

This is not to say that there's nothing interesting in your story. I like the psychological portrait your drawing and I like the way you've placed these little insights into how she behaves and how her appearance has affected her. The problem is that you need to be spreading this information out a bit more, and you also need to be looking for ways to show us this information through the actions of the character rather than just having the narrator tell us.

It is hard to say more without seeing the rest of your story. However, if I were you I would think really long and hard about whether this is the right place to start your story. Opening with a character waking up and getting dressed is both a cliche and a fairly boring way to set off a story. You might want to just skip this part and start the story at whatever point where the conflict driving the narrative actually happens.

Alternatively, you might at least think about revealing the presence of the gun earlier, maybe in the first two or three paragraphs. That at least will perk up the readers interest and encourage them to keep reading.

Your writing style is competent and you've got a couple nice sentences but a lot of your descriptions didn't quite work for me. "Elide your presence", "immaculate severity", "a closed gate painted indigo", "transgressed her beyond her tolerance" all took me out of the narrative and felt like attempts to be a bit fancy that instead fell flat. You also have a few sentences that could be rewritten to be much stronger. The one that stuck out the most was "Emily knew that it wasn’t necessarily the brightest idea to be carrying a weapon to school." Why not just say "Emily knew it was dangerous to be carrying a weapon to school"?

All that having been said, there was a lot in this piece that I enjoyed and I'm curious to know what direction the narrative is going in. So all these issues aside your story did capture my interest and I would definitely encourage you to keep working on it.

Thanks for reading. I realize I'm kind of gambling in having this much exposition at the start of a story, and when the story is finished, there may be a place to move some pieces of this- the character will have another morning to wake up, and some of it might go there. I'm glad that you found it compelling enough to get through though, as the story launches into gear immediately after this (the next paragraph details how today will be the first day that her history teacher, suspended pending a lurid homicide case involving a love triangle that left one dead and the other in an asylum, is returning to class) and, if I do my job right, shouldn't ever let up after that.

The language is on the purple side because the narrative is currently aligned with Emily, who uses condescension and austerity as defense mechanisms. When her mother enters the story in the next paragraph, Emily's voice is entirely suppressed and things become more prosaic. That being said, it's no excuse for the awkward phrasing or cliched language you pointed out, so thanks.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
It's been a while since this thread was bumped, but Anonymous Robot, I wouldn't convey the character's appearance through her looking in a mirror. That's not only terribly cliché but also clumsy. Consider how you can convey the same stuff obliquely, as she does things or as others observe her. You've got a whole story's worth to deliver details, you do not have to cram them all in at the start.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Greetings?

So, recently I decided to begin writing some sort of Synopsis or introduction to a project I am doing. I couldnt really for the longest time get down and do such a thing, but finally after a few days work, I've written something small that explains the most basic things, or so I hope atleast. When, Where, Why and How.

Before I begin, two things:

1. The genre technically is Low Fantasy

2. All the characters in the story are non-humanoid (Gryphons in this case). They are completely sentient and sane. There are other “species” that are sentient on that note.[/b]

quote:

SYNOPSIS

Its the winter of 320, in another world and time. A Crisis has begun in the demilitarized zone of the mountains of the Eastern Oroi. During their sacred holidays the 2nd Tagma Agermon, the military company stationed there, has encountered a single Anthropos. It engages in inteception, and commits all its resources in order for it to not gain entrance to the den found beneath the mountains of the Eastern Oroi, their greatest fear. The commander of the battalion, Polytechnous, finds himself in a dilemma, as his forces may not be enough to intercept this threat, so he requests his City State for help.

It is with this situation that an old gryphon such as Phonithia finds herself arming to go to battle. Forty-Four-Years old, a veteran of three wars and bearer of two sons, who psyche has been assaulted, her ethics have been confused and her soul has been tested by combat, yet she still struggles with a world she finds indifferent to life. She never managed to return back to the civilian life of the city states and who has been trying to suppress her behavior ever since, turning to alcohol, the passions of the flesh, and other passions.

Thus, now with the Crisis in her eyes, she is picking up arms again to reunite with a group of veterans, friends, lovers and partners, for one final military operation at the Eastern Oroi, hoping to come into acceptance of what going to war has given and taken from her soul.

I appriciate your help.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TheGreekOwl posted:

So, recently I decided to begin writing some sort of Synopsis or introduction to a project I am doing. I couldnt really for the longest time get down and do such a thing, but finally after a few days work, I've written something small that explains the most basic things, or so I hope atleast. When, Where, Why and How.

I'm confused. You are calling this a synopsis or an introduction but those are very different things. It would help if you tell us which one it's meant to be. If this is something you are using to show your work to an editor or an agent, then you need to make it a complete synopsis and describe the protagonist's entire character arc with all its major beats. This also means you have to include the ending, whether or not the protagonist achieves or fails to achieve their goal, etc.

This link covers synopses in more detail: http://janefriedman.com/2011/10/25/novel-synopsis/

If it's just an intro, then how do you intend to have this viewed? Is it going to be the first thing the reader sees? If that's the case then you need to ask yourself if you really need it. You might be better off starting the story in the middle of the action and then filling in all the background details as you go. The intro needs to have a good reason for being there, since it delays people from getting into the meat of your story.

Also, whether this is an intro or a synopsis, it should stand on it's own without any preface. Unless it's supposed to be a twist, you should make the fact that the characters are non-human clear in the first paragraph at the very least if not in the first sentence.

As far as the actual content goes, the biggest issue I think is the lack of specifics. Instead of saying that their greatest fear is this Anthropos(whatever this is) reaching the den, you should state what would happen if this were to occur. Give us a concrete example of what's at stake. Does it steal all their kids? wipe out the city-state? their entire species? etc. It's the same thing with the protagonist's tormented past. Give us specifics that show us why she is the way she is. Stuff like her psyche has been assaulted, and her ethics have been confused are so general and vague that they tell us almost nothing.

You shouldn't give every detail, but give us enough concrete stuff so that we can get a feel for whats at stake and who the characters are. You need that to turn this from "some jaded ex-soldier battles her inner demons as she tries to save her people from existential threat #4312" to something more unique. It's a balancing act as you don't want to go overboard with info, but every sentence should have some specific and useful information that advances the story. If it's vague in any way, then cut or rewrite the sentence.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
If anyone is interested I edit Flashers for Seizure Online and we are open to submissions from anywhere in the world.

Now, we don't pay but I don't get money either and it's all about finding interesting flash fiction on a weekly basis.

Submit!

https://seizure.submittable.com/submit

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

what is your readership like, or whatever that term is? i.e. what benefit does the author get from submitting to your mag?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Seizure is one of the biggest literature portals in Australia. I don't actually have access to readership numbers as I don't have that level of power, but it's quite large (for Australia at least) and we are seen internationally too. Good opportunity to experiment or for an emerging writer to be edited/work with editors.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

thehomemaster posted:

Seizure is one of the biggest literature portals in Australia. I don't actually have access to readership numbers as I don't have that level of power, but it's quite large (for Australia at least) and we are seen internationally too. Good opportunity to experiment or for an emerging writer to be edited/work with editors.

i know one Australian I will poke to submit something.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Biting the bullet and posting a 800~ word snippet from something I'm working on. This is the very start of the prologue, about 1/3 of the opening scene:

quote:

The corpse in its burlap sack is heavy on Raimut's shoulders, making him feel his age for the first time in a while. He trudges on through Svet-Dmitrin along the city's wooden sidewalks, his footsteps disconcertingly loud, hollow thumps in the silence of the late hour. The night is dark, overcast and far too hot for this late an hour, even in the summer. The only lights are infrequent gas lamps and the soft glow of an occasional window. Raimut walks the streets mostly by memory and guesswork.

He glances up, towards the corner where two slight figures are standing in the yellowish beam of a gas lamp. Even from a distance, he can see Anzu's dreadlocks and top hat and the blue glow of his Spirit eyes - three dots on each dark brown cheekbone, bright little beacons in the night. The other figure must be Siris - same build and same height as Anzu, but wearing a suit with a much more modern cut and a hat that didn't go out of style three decades prior. Anzu stands with his hips cocked at a rakish angle and Siris slouches against the lamp post, her arms folded, the brim of her hat pulled over her forehead. Neither twin looks particularly alert and even as he glances towards Raimut, Raimut can see Anzu's eyes pass right over him without recognition.

Both hands occupied with holding the corpse, Raimut dares not call out to his apprentices and wake someone. So he whistles instead, imitating the call of a swamp-dwelling bird common to Avathel. Siris's head snaps up and she looks in Raimut's direction, her good eye going wide. She reaches out and yanks on her sibling's dreadlocks and he spins around, mouth open to deliver a tirade. Raimut makes the swamp-bird's call again and Anzu turns to look, locking eyes with Raimut. His mouth snaps shut and his lips relax into a smile the less charitable would call simpering. Raimut smirks back and shrugs a shoulder, making the sack full of corpse bounce. Anzu and Siris both grin, Siris giving Raimut the thumbs up.

Raimut draws level with the twins and stops, feeling his knees creak and protest under the weight of sack.

"We have to hurry," he says, softly. "I marked the gibbet with a rune and it should avert the police's attentions for a little while, but I am unsure how long." The twins nod. Raimut takes a turn into a narrow alleyway, stepping off the wooden sidewalk into the muck. Anzu quickens his step to walk beside Raimut, pressing close against him.

"Anyone interesting, this time?" says he. "Or did you just grab the freshest corpse, darling?"

Raimut feels a muscle under one eye twitch. He tightens his lips. Anzu's simpering smile fades and his mouth sags open a little, revealing pearly-white teeth with a gap between the top incisors.

"I took the smallest corpse," says Raimut, softly, looking down at Anzu. "It is relatively fresh and I did not look at the face too closely. Any other inane questions, Anja?"

Anzu shakes his head and Raimut smiles and reaches out to knock off Anzu's hat and toy with his dreadlocks.

"Do restrain your ghoulish appetites," he says, tilting Anzu's head back, so he's forced to look into Raimut's eyes. "We're interested in the knowledge these corpses can provide, Anja, not in their previous lives, sordid and exciting though they may have been."

Anzu nods, to the best of his ability. Raimut lets go of his hair and Anzu twirls around and runs back to find his top hat. Siris falls into step with Raimut instead.

"I can take the corpse," she says, casually. Raimut sizes up her skinny frame with a sceptical eye and snorts.

"No need to show off," he says, as Anzu catches up with them. "I can handle this."

"Just saying," says Siris. "You're old and I'm not. And aren't pupils supposed to show deference to their masters?" She grins. Raimut scowls at her, but her grin does not even flicker.

Anzu catches up with them, holding his hat down with one hand, the other holding up the skirts of his suit up out of the mud. Raimut spares only a sidelong glance for him, before addressing Siris again.

"There's no need to be cheeky," he says, evenly. "I'm hardly a decrepit wreck, Izzie." Siris raises an eyebrow at him, but says nothing else. Raimut shakes his head and readjusts the position of the corpse over his shoulder.

"If you want to be helpful," he says, "run ahead and tell Mara to get the autoclave started."

Siris shrugs, but does not object. She takes off at a lazy run, disappearing around the corner. Raimut slows down so he and Anzu are walking in step again. He puts an arm around the other's skinny shoulders and leans in to press his dry lips against Anzu's temple.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JuniperCake posted:

As far as the actual content goes, the biggest issue I think is the lack of specifics. Instead of saying that their greatest fear is this Anthropos(whatever this is) reaching the den, you should state what would happen if this were to occur. Give us a concrete example of what's at stake. Does it steal all their kids? wipe out the city-state? their entire species? etc. It's the same thing with the protagonist's tormented past. Give us specifics that show us why she is the way she is. Stuff like her psyche has been assaulted, and her ethics have been confused are so general and vague that they tell us almost nothing.

You shouldn't give every detail, but give us enough concrete stuff so that we can get a feel for whats at stake and who the characters are. You need that to turn this from "some jaded ex-soldier battles her inner demons as she tries to save her people from existential threat #4312" to something more unique. It's a balancing act as you don't want to go overboard with info, but every sentence should have some specific and useful information that advances the story. If it's vague in any way, then cut or rewrite the sentence.

First of all, I have to thank you for taking care to critique this small text, it pointed out a lot of my short fallings in regards to writing.

But to continue, I did not elaborate on what the project is or if this is an intro/synopsis. The project is supposed to be a comic thats going to be put on a site. The small text is supposed to be a small introductory text meant to create interest in the story as well as give a general idea of the plot. Its going to be an external link in the front page that gives and introduction as to whats going on (as well as unrelated notes). I had to tell you that all the characters were not human because the art was going to make that evident by itself.

As for the content, i've tried to remove the vagueness without losing any of th substance, through I believe I may have gone a bit long here.

Through, what the Anthropos is and what the underground is are spoiler territory, (I refrain to call them twists) so it may be harder to give a proper explaination of the stakes so to speak.

http://pastebin.com/8EbfmeMd this is my revised attempt. Again, thanks for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

It's so wordy and weird, and it's obvious you are ESL with some of the really awkward phrasing. "To participate in evil" used in two consecutive sentences; that phrasing is bad enough it should never be used even a single time.

It isn't really a hook at all. It needs to be way shorter and succinct, maybe five sentences max. Here is an example of how you could condense it:

quote:

Its the winter of 320, in another world and time.
A crisis has begun in the demilitarized zone of the mountains of the Eastern Oroi.

The 2nd Tagma Αgermon is a proxy military company whose job is to block entrances to the abandoned underground complex located beneath the Eastern Oroi. Yet on that winter they received intel that a single Anthropos, a legendary creature which they fear immensely, has been spotted wandering the mountains of the Eastern Oroi.

The commander of the company, Polytechnous, finds himself in a dilemma, as his forces are not enough to intercept this threat nor is he authorised to tell them what lies beneath the underground complex. Fearing that the Anthropos may enter the underground complex, he resorts to requesting his City State for specialized units to help.

It is with this situation that an old gryphon such as Phonithia finds herself arming to go to battle. Forty-Four-Years old, a veteran of three wars and bearer of two sons, ever since she left the army, ever since she lost her morality and her ethics, she has been trying to nullify the indifferent world. At first, she thought, that she could distinguish between good and evil by caring about the mortal world. By choosing to associate with other individuals, she makes the decision to care about their own struggle over the indifferent world,.

Condense to: When Phonithia, a veteran of the SOMETHING SOMETHING, is called out of retirement to fight the (CHOOSE A GOOD ADJECTIVE) Anthropos,

quote:

The problem though is that in doing so, she opened herself to watching it all get blown away. She quickly realized that in killing others she had advertently participated in evil, because those dead enemy soldiers were not without parents, friends, or lovers. She had participated in evil, since she had broken the link between those people, she had hurt the caring of others, the same caring she had taken up herself. But she wondered, how was good and evil injected into this world, and more importantly, who cares of it. Everybody dies after all, but not everybody cares.

Thus, now with the crisis in her eyes, she is picking up arms again to reunite with a group of veterans, friends, lovers and partners, for one final military operation at the Eastern Oroi, hoping to finally conquer her anguish and to understand what brought her into the state of caring about good when she was by all means evil.

Condense to: , she and her old friends must leave the City States (you could put something really short in here about leaving the complications of civilian life after having killed people with families etc., but make it like part of one sentence) to fight one last time.

Then add in like one sentence that starts with "but," and put in the actual conflict that arises from the INCITING INCIDENT, which is the protagonist being called back to fight this thing. You can't make the conflict the thing that was happening while she was wallowing in the city, because that part is ending already and the actual conflict of the story is beginning once she is called to fight this thing. The way you've written your synopsis is making it like the main thrust of the conflict is this gryphon drinking and loving in the city while wallowing around about having killed people and not knowing if she should connect with people. From what I can gather this is not actually the story, it's the background, and you don't want to load your synopsis that should be a hook with boring background poo poo that won't even be part of the main plot. I'm guessing you will do flashbacks and poo poo, but that doesn't invalidate what I'm saying.

• Locked thread