Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Al Borland posted:

You're an adult now HOW do you agree with this poo poo or feel its appropriate to post this poo poo on class forums with other students. Holy crap. MRA life hack tips on student forums is what my life has become. Getting the occasional bump update in my email for this crap is not appropriate.

You're going to need to learn to ignore stupid things you hear from other adults and not stress out each time. You're going to hear adults say dumb poo poo for the rest of your life, wherever you go. If you can't learn to just ignore it and let other people have their own opinions, no matter how stupid they may sound, you're going to go through one hundred stress balls a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Just checked the exam schedule and I have three exams in one day. It's more than a month away and I am already dreading it. Exams are 9-12pm, 1:30-430pm, and 6:00-800pm. That is a long loving day *sigh

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

littleorv posted:

Just checked the exam schedule and I have three exams in one day. It's more than a month away and I am already dreading it. Exams are 9-12pm, 1:30-430pm, and 6:00-800pm. That is a long loving day *sigh

One of my finals days is like that, 3 exams and ends at 8PM, except mine starts at 7:30AM. :suicide:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

One of my finals days is like that, 3 exams and ends at 8PM, except mine starts at 7:30AM. :suicide:

:smith::hf::smith:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Remember to bring tons of food and a water bottle with you, and sit outside in some sun if there is an opportunity between finals. This too shall pass :unsmith:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

littleorv posted:

Does your school not allow you to reschedule if you have more than 2 exams in a 24 hr period? Might want to check with the registrar on that one.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

It's almost 2015, why does this 20+ year-old dude still have the Kim Possible stinger as his message ringtone

Also, turn off your phone it's the middle of class, it has gone off every single session, oh my god :rant:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Sorry professor but if the class's average grade on the test was "actually very bad" and you expect somebody that knows the subject matter "pretty well" to get a 60% it's probably not a good test.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

It's almost 2015, why does this 20+ year-old dude still have the Kim Possible stinger as his message ringtone

Also, turn off your phone it's the middle of class, it has gone off every single session, oh my god :rant:

There was a guy in the tech lounge with a Zelda notification sound that went off loudly every other minute and it pissed me off to no end. It's not that you have to be quiet there but it was really obnoxious.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

quote:

Dear Resident,

We wanted to update you regarding the decreased performance of your Internet connection. Earlier this week, the campus networking team discovered the campus internet connection was completely maxed out, causing critical computer systems to fail. At that point, the campus reduced ResNet's connection speed to the internet to allow these critical systems to function correctly. We have met with campus networking team and have been told they are evaluating the situation. They will be contacting us late next week with proposed solutions to improve your Internet connection speed.

Let me tell you what the evaluation will find: "Need moar bandwidth".

But that's what happens when the campus hasn't upgraded their pipe since the early 2000s.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Let me tell you what the evaluation will find: "Need moar bandwidth".

But that's what happens when the campus hasn't upgraded their pipe since the early 2000s.

The reply from the CIO and board will be "It's not in the budget." Meanwhile, your CIO will start a project to move the college's email services over to the company he has shares in.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Whenever there's a negative response to anything IT related in any of the campus wide surveys, the CIO almost always responds with something along the lines of "they must not have understood the question or service". The last survey is the first time I've ever seen him not do it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chemosh6969 posted:

Whenever there's a negative response to anything IT related in any of the campus wide surveys, the CIO almost always responds with something along the lines of "they must not have understood the question or service". The last survey is the first time I've ever seen him not do it.

To be fair to the IT guys, students and professors alike can be really, really loving stupid about computers and IT stuff on campus. Not that they're always faultless, but anyone who's worked in IT can confirm that some people have difficulty with ideas such as "Your computer isn't broken, just turn on the monitor" and it goes downhill from there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

To be fair to the IT guys, students and professors alike can be really, really loving stupid about computers and IT stuff on campus. Not that they're always faultless, but anyone who's worked in IT can confirm that some people have difficulty with ideas such as "Your computer isn't broken, just turn on the monitor" and it goes downhill from there.

This is of course true, but when it's your own student employees who work for your IT department, study some variant of computer science or information systems, and are saying the same things, that's generally a hint that the question was perfectly understood, and there's a problem.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

littleorv posted:

That's pretty rough, but look at it, this way: you get to crush 3 exams in one day. Yes, that one day will suck. But it's a great chance to get the worst of the exam rush behind you so you can focus on other things.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sorry professor but if the class's average grade on the test was "actually very bad" and you expect somebody that knows the subject matter "pretty well" to get a 60% it's probably not a good test.

Physics class?

Sometimes you have professors that are just bad at constructing tests, yeah. Generally speaking though, it seems to be part of a teaching philosophy. Some professors teach you a concept and then have you apply it in a bunch of different and increasingly difficult ways on in-class and homework assignments, and then they test you on the simpler applications of the concept. The test is a test, a verification of learning, and nothing more.

Other professors regard the test itself as another learning opportunity. They will teach you the basic concept in class, have you apply it in a few simple ways on assignments, and then the test will have a problem where you have to apply the concept in a completely new, and often far more complicated way. They deliberately construct the test so that most students will not be able to get everything right, but they pay far more attention to your process, give lots of partial credit, and grade on a curve. Physics professors are notorious for this, and though I never took any higher level physics courses (400s+), I've heard that 30% is often a passing test score. These types of professors also tend to make homework and class/lab assignments worth far more than others when determining your final grade.

I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, I hate the emphasis on testing in our educational system, and think that emphasizing the process, application of concepts and critical thinking is vital to learning. On the other hand, students have been conditioned all their lives to put major importance on the outcome of tests. Most of their classes operate this way, so even if in one particular class their tests aren't as important, they're still going to act like they are, and a really nasty test is going to stress them out and probably make them do even worse than they otherwise would. I've personally seen fellow students have full blown nervous breakdowns during a mid-term that was harder than everyone (including the professor) expected. And some students just don't test well, for whatever reasons.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

Physics class?

No, it's an advanced math class. There was no curve and the test was too much to be done in the 50 minutes we had. Fortunately the professor is not of the second kind you mentioned but he also didn't alter grades based on how awfully everybody did. I had a 68% and it was apparently one of the better scores. By the end of the period I was scrabbling to finish the next to last question, never got to the last one properly, and couldn't double check any of my work. To his credit he let us rewrite anything we got wrong to recover up to half of what we lost but seriously, it was a pretty crappy test but he was all "well I still maintain that it was a good test."

I think he just sucks at writing tests but then this is a professor that's handed out homework with typos on it like eight times so far. Some of them he caught and fixed before the thing was due. Other times it completely hosed up the question and made it impossible to answer properly (or in one case, at all) until you figured out what was wrong. I think he might be new.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

melon cat posted:

That's pretty rough, but look at it, this way: you get to crush 3 exams in one day. Yes, that one day will suck. But it's a great chance to get the worst of the exam rush behind you so you can focus on other things.

Yeah that's how I'm looking at it. It gives me a chance to do all the readings for my history class that I have neglected to do because it's my last exam and nine days after my three exam day. Winter break is going to be wonderful I tells ya.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think he just sucks at writing tests but then this is a professor that's handed out homework with typos on it like eight times so far. Some of them he caught and fixed before the thing was due. Other times it completely hosed up the question and made it impossible to answer properly (or in one case, at all) until you figured out what was wrong. I think he might be new.

Man, that sucks. Nothing makes you feel good about spending a metric assload of money to learn from someone so insecure they can't admit when they hosed up and do something about it.

I had a prof once who was infamous for being brutal with the amount of work he gave you and presided over the gatekeeper courses for several majors. Once, he gave us a test in a format and with rules he had never used before. He told us up front that it was an experiment, but otherwise didn't make any promises or give us any assurances.

It wrecked everyone in the class. Nobody was able to answer more than half the questions, and I think the best score was a 40%. And when he told us this, the next thing he said was that he was throwing it out and making a new one that we would do the following week. Nobody in the class was stupid, it was 100% the fault of the experimental format of the test, and he admitted as much.

This guy had an infamous reputation for being brutal with the amount of work he'd give you, and presided over the biggest gatekeeper courses in the major. Dude earned a lot of respect by admitting that he hosed up, when he could have easily just folded the incident into his reputation and moved on.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Accounting 200, the introductory Accounting class, has the most rear end-backwards word problems possible. Half the time there are massive typos in the questions and half of what I'm trying to do makes no sense, and in Accounting if you gently caress up one word you can totally give the wrong message. I've been getting 95%+ As so far but this third test was complete rear end for no reason other than typos and inconsistencies on what the gently caress will actually be on the exam.

I feel like I'm fighting the course and test format itself rather than learning the content, which is an rear end way of learning.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

We had one CS prof that went over everything in the final and it would take the entire time to come close to finishing. It wasn't just general questions over everything we learned but tons of questions going into detail on things. He allowed us one sheet of paper for notes and I typed everything I could in the smallest font I could possibly read.

The last final I had with him, before he stopped teaching here, was about 6-8 pages and the last page was a question that counted for a decent portion towards the total. This question was basically to write the Pong game in assembly language.

I finished 2 hours later and left to take another final. Sucks to be anyone else that had another final after that because there were still a bunch of people that hadn't finished it yet. My next final fell like a quiz compared to what I'd just gone through.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Just took a 150 question anatomy exam, complete with cat and goat cadavers smelling up the classroom for the entire 3 hours it took to complete. By the end of it, it was even about knowing the material, but rather being able to withstand fatigue and the smell of formaldehyde. Several students broke down into tears by around hour 2.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So, I'm in a program which requires me to go off campus sometimes for some classes, for a whole day, weekends, occasionally longer. Lots of field trips, expeditions, etc. This semester, I had two days where I was required to participate off campus, during times when I had other classes scheduled. I approached the professor of the classes, informing her I'd be away for a class, and explained why, which was I was teaching Grade 8 students for the day. "Okay" was pretty much the response I got.

What she neglected to mention was in that class, we were covering some really important information that would not be posted on Blackboard. Information that made up over half of an exam worth 15% of my mark. Needless to say, I failed. I aced all the stuff that was posted. If she had just mentioned "You might want to get notes off of someone else because this particular information won't be posted online" when I let her know I'd be away for another class and it was mandatory or I'd fail it, that would have been loving great. Problem is I don't think I can get any sort of leniency even though I tried beforehand.

And then she took me aside afterwards and asked "are you done teaching those kids now? Because this is a problem" Yeah, no poo poo. Thanks.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

I've learned that if you start complaining loudly to the provost and president, they'll let you have your way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's also generally helpful to find out what happens in classes that you miss.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Jesus Christ. And I thought it was bad when my Calc I professor oh so many years ago didn't realize that the last question on the final was unanswerable due to the person who wrote the final not knowing the difference between full-immersion displacement and buoyant displacement.

Why a question about determining the density of a cube was on a Calculus final to begin with was beyond me, most of the class, and the prof himself (who had neither written nor vetted the final). Needless to say, that question was dropped from the grading.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

chemosh6969 posted:

I've learned that if you start complaining loudly to the provost and president, they'll let you have your way.

I've learned that if the students want anything, that the president will

A. Appear at the student protests and belittle them
B. Refuse to give into the change
C. Finally appear to give into the change
D. Put it 'in front of the committee for consideration' where it will die a quiet death.

Basically, if you want to effect 'change' at a university level, follow the examples of your parents/grandparents, and lock those motherfuckers in their offices.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Why a question about determining the density of a cube was on a Calculus final to begin with was beyond me, most of the class, and the prof himself (who had neither written nor vetted the final). Needless to say, that question was dropped from the grading.

I'd assume because determining the volume of an arbitrary shape (or the mass of an arbitrary shape with varying density) is a standard problem in multivariate calculus?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Tunicate posted:

I'd assume because determining the volume of an arbitrary shape (or the mass of an arbitrary shape with varying density) is a standard problem in multivariate calculus?

Except the question was more or less supposed to be "here is the volume and mass of this cube, divide one by the other", and it was on a single-variable Calculus test.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

I highly doubt Calc I had multivariable stuff on it. Where I go that's Calc III. We figured out things like maximizing volume based on how much surface area was available and fiddling with it for things like double-thick sides, but multivariable stuff? Nope.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

And here I am, probably about to fail Intermediate Algebra. Admittedly a lot of it was me thinking I could work 25+ hours a week and go to school full time but even with massively cutting my hours I still think I might have to repeat it. Maybe some of you can work that much and go to school full time but I sure can't. :smith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HOLY gently caress posted:

And here I am, probably about to fail Intermediate Algebra. Admittedly a lot of it was me thinking I could work 25+ hours a week and go to school full time but even with massively cutting my hours I still think I might have to repeat it. Maybe some of you can work that much and go to school full time but I sure can't. :smith:

Don't feel bad, some people repeat classes sometimes. I repeated Calc I and will probably repeat Calc II. Math is loving hard.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

A White Guy posted:

I've learned that if the students want anything, that the president will

A. Appear at the student protests and belittle them
B. Refuse to give into the change
C. Finally appear to give into the change
D. Put it 'in front of the committee for consideration' where it will die a quiet death.

Basically, if you want to effect 'change' at a university level, follow the examples of your parents/grandparents, and lock those motherfuckers in their offices.

I meant for getting a grade changed or if you need an exception to get financial aid you aren't eligible for but want an exception.

I liked reading about this protest when a deaf college hired a president that could hear http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaf_President_Now

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

My roommate brought some guy from the 'Video Game dorm' over to our place, and we started talking.

Highlights (and keep in mind this building is full of freshmen)

A. There's a guy who apparently does.not.bathe at all. You can literally smell this dude when he steps out of his room. Apparently, his bed is covered in clothing (that he doesn't wash). The dude sleeps on the floor in sheets (he hasn't washed). :barf:
B. The bathroom has an inch of piss on the floor. Apparently, the freshmen blew it up on Halloween (vomit all over the place), so the janitors have stopped cleaning it all together.
C. There's a dude at the end of hall who's constantly screwing his girlfriend, literally all the time. Apparently, he put a sheet up between his bed and his roommate, so he can gently caress his girlfriend with the roommate in the room.
D. There's a guy on the third floor who apparently chews tobacco, and spits in this bucket. Apparently, this :barf: inducing trashcan is about halfway full. The whole hallway smells like chewing tobacco, spit, and mold.

:allears: Thank god I don't live there.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

A White Guy posted:

My roommate brought some guy from the 'Video Game dorm' over to our place, and we started talking.

Highlights (and keep in mind this building is full of freshmen)

A. There's a guy who apparently does.not.bathe at all. You can literally smell this dude when he steps out of his room. Apparently, his bed is covered in clothing (that he doesn't wash). The dude sleeps on the floor in sheets (he hasn't washed). :barf:
B. The bathroom has an inch of piss on the floor. Apparently, the freshmen blew it up on Halloween (vomit all over the place), so the janitors have stopped cleaning it all together.
C. There's a dude at the end of hall who's constantly screwing his girlfriend, literally all the time. Apparently, he put a sheet up between his bed and his roommate, so he can gently caress his girlfriend with the roommate in the room.
D. There's a guy on the third floor who apparently chews tobacco, and spits in this bucket. Apparently, this :barf: inducing trashcan is about halfway full. The whole hallway smells like chewing tobacco, spit, and mold.

:allears: Thank god I don't live there.

You managed 6 instances of "apparently" in 4 bullet points. Gonna go ahead and complain about the lax standards in freshman writing courses. :v:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Skinny King Pimp posted:

You managed 6 instances of "apparently" in 4 bullet points. Gonna go ahead and complain about the lax standards in freshman writing courses. :v:

I'm not a freshman :negative:.

Also, after seeing some of my freshman roommates writing, I'm doing a hell of a lot better than they are.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Given the horror story he was related, I think it's forgivable if your English grammar processing faculties temporarily give out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

8 AM exams are terrible. Especially so for commuters who are subjugated to poo poo public transportation that's often late to get around.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

8 AM exams are terrible. Especially so for commuters who are subjugated to poo poo public transportation that's often late to get around.

I have 3 7am exams this semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

man my school doesn't even do exams before 9, that sucks

• Locked thread