Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

flatluigi posted:

Does anyone have that list of requirements for the regular secret room? I know things have changed since the original.

Normal secret room: same as before (adjacent to at least 2 normal rooms, the more the better chance, cannot be adjacent to boss rooms) only you have to be able to access all adjacent sides without bombs or flying. If there's a pit cutting off access to that wall, or a bunch of rocks, it's there.

Super-Secret: Same as before, adjacent to only one normal room. Cannot be adjacent to special rooms (shop, item, boss, cursed, sacrifice, etc.)

shodanjr_gr posted:

The weird thing is that I already got the first section even though I've never seen isaac. e: I did beat Satan once though when I earned a devil room at the end of the preceding boss fight.

Ah, you're probably still working on the negative pieces. You get those from beating Satan.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lasher posted:

I'm convinced there's something behind the scenes making the runs harder. I just never get any damage up boosts or any worthwhile items.

Or maybe I'm just unlucky. All I know is I'm starting work on tomorrows hangover now to cope.

I've doen 4 blue baby runs and won two of them. The other two ended in the basement before I had a chance to do anything.

gently caress the Haunt.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Internet Kraken posted:

gently caress the Haunt.

This and bob's brain could be the thread title.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The Haunt is easy tho. You just move back and forth with it and switch directions before getting right near the wall so it can't box you in with brimstone

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
Dumb question which might already been answered, but will Mom always drop the Polaroid once it's been unlocked. And to follow up, if you pick up the Polaroid, will you be guaranteed an Angel Room on Mom's heart? I'm paranoid as in avoiding every single Devil room (not even walking in) and buying any items that might be evil (Black Candle, etc...) as I'm worried it might block me from getting to Isaac/the Chest.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

IronicDongz posted:

The Haunt is easy tho. You just move back and forth with it and switch directions before getting right near the wall so it can't box you in with brimstone

Eh, the first part's annoying where he bobs around the room, invincible while his little buddies try to beat up on you.

You're right that once he starts sliding along the wall he's trivial though.

He's also trivial when you have quadshot IPECAC, but quad IPECAC kinda, well, breaks everything.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alkydere posted:

Normal secret room: same as before (adjacent to at least 2 normal rooms, the more the better chance, cannot be adjacent to boss rooms) only you have to be able to access all adjacent sides without bombs or flying. If there's a pit cutting off access to that wall, or a bunch of rocks, it's there.

Super-Secret: Same as before, adjacent to only one normal room. Cannot be adjacent to special rooms (shop, item, boss, cursed, sacrifice, etc.)

Does a fire count as cutting off access? I'd doubt it, but I'd want to know. Also, can the secret room not be adjacent to the super secret room anymore?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Broken Cog posted:

I used VDays advice and just kept restarting until I got a celler floor with a 2x2 room next to the starting room, since they seem to be most commonly found there.

Still took about 5-10 minutes, though.

Thanks, I ended up trying to use this strat but just finding it by random chance in a normal room by itself. I was at full health so I had to carefully bomb out, go get beaten up a bit elsewhere and then let it kill me. However, the rest of the other runs went without a hitch and now I have unlocked it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Does a fire count as cutting off access? I'd doubt it, but I'd want to know. Also, can the secret room not be adjacent to the super secret room anymore?

Fire indeed counts as cutting off access if it's in the tile right by the door. Basically the game will not trap you in a damaging situation (discounting dick enemies) or on a lone platform or over air when exiting a secret room.

No clue on the latter. I honestly don't spend too much time looking for the SS room unless I have a giant pile of bombs, effectively infinite explosions (IPECAC), xray vision (xray glasses, I Can See Forever pills), or the blue map.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
trying to get mullibooms to spawn in basement is more boring than i thought it'd be

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I finally have found a situation where the HP limit is obnoxious.

And I'll say it again, quadshot IPECAC is hilarious. I just 3-shot Mom. I'm not taking damage, at least against bosses, because they just die so fast.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Man Polyphemus Azazel really snapped the game right open. It had a fairly long charge-up time, but I also had Technology 0.5, that fired as I was charging and did more than enough damage to quickly dispatch anything that wasn't a boss.

Final level: Mega Satan was kindof hilarious. It was Curse of the Unknown so I'm not entirely sure what went down, but I managed to trigger the post-boss music during his first form by doing too much damage to him. The rest of the fight was just him spawning in enemies to calm music and occasionally coming back for a single hit until his final form (which was also set to calm music).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 9, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The womb is such a terrible and annoying floor now for a couple reasons. One is that the enemies that go into the ground can now come back up right under you, which is just cheap and stupid. Secondly, lots of the enemies leave red creep on the floor which is red, and it's hard as hell to see. So annoying, this is my least favorite floor in the game and for the wrong reasons. It would be fine if not for these two stupid things.

The worst are those chained guys, who randomly leave a single spot of hard to see creep where they die.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Do not fire a spacebar item with floating effect(eg: the bible) to get another spacebar item over a chasm. The effect doesn't carry. And then you'll will be out of charges. End of run.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Kawalimus posted:

the enemies that go into the ground can now come back up right under you

this ruined 4 no damage womb attempts

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tafferling posted:

Do not fire a spacebar item with floating effect(eg: the bible) to get another spacebar item over a chasm. The effect doesn't carry. And then you'll will be out of charges. End of run.

Close and load the run.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Phew, Cursed! and Head Trauma done. The first one on the first try, the second took a bit more. Wiggle worm helped a bit and the mom fight was kinda intense.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
also check this out:
http://imgur.com/a/Ffztt

apparently in pacifism challenge all doors remain open including secret rooms. if you enter a secret room leaving enemies faffing about, leave, and reenter, it'll dupe stuff including the bums.

also happens in the arcade

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

That doesn't sound very useful.

He also gets some extra damage and range out of it.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Read posted:

Close and load the run.

Didn't try, but wouldn't you still be stranded on the island?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ArfJason posted:

trying to get mullibooms to spawn in basement is more boring than i thought it'd be

Yeah it's kind of annoying since it's so RNG based. Still, it goes by somewhat quickly if you just hold down R and wait for a big square (2x2) room. At least then you're just checking a room every few seconds rather than wasting time constantly going into every little room.

Speaking of the Lost:

:toot:

No idea what I did wrong last night though to not get him. Glad it wasn't bugged or you need to meet some obscure special condition. Everything went pretty smoothly, with the Azazel run being especially hilarious. Got Ludo and a dark bum super early, cruised through to Satan on auto-pilot. Had a brief moment of sheer panic when I realized that the Ludo brim circle might be so big that it'll hit Satan's second form, but luckily that wasn't the case.

Now to get the D100 :suicide:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tafferling posted:

It puts you at either the beginning of the floor or at the doorway to the room you were in.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tafferling posted:

Nah, puts you at the beginning of the room. I figured it out trying to unfuck myself when I got pulled into an inescapable area by gravity wells.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Want to see some superb bullshit?

I don't know what I did but at some point in the Womb my shots completely vanished, along with enemy shots, most small enemy sprites, floor pickups, chests and enemy brimstones were completely invisible. What the gently caress happened? This was most definitely not some intentional curse. Or was it?

My loadout. I'm pretty sure it was a REALLY bad bug because if I left a room and came back I could see pickups, but if I started firing, anything new added to the ground was invisible. In fights I only had loving shadows to go by.

Against my judgement I decided to go to Sheol with it after killing Mom's Heart...I ran into two mini-satans on the way and they were completely invisible when they split into too and I took heavy, heavy damage. When I got to Satan I just used the bible on him because gently caress this game, I'll go out on my own terms.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Is there an easy way to transfer saves from one computer to another? I want to be able to play this on my laptop.

e: I also ran into some dumb stuff. I hit a Utero room where the entrances were pits on either side of me and a red poop in front. The problem is, I had Ipecac. Hitting the poop blasted me out of the room. If I didn't have Little Gish to alternate shots with and break it, my ??? run would've ended right there. As is though, I beat Isaac. Thank god.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 10, 2014

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

VDay posted:

Yeah it's kind of annoying since it's so RNG based. Still, it goes by somewhat quickly if you just hold down R and wait for a big square (2x2) room. At least then you're just checking a room every few seconds rather than wasting time constantly going into every little room.

Speaking of the Lost:

:toot:

No idea what I did wrong last night though to not get him. Glad it wasn't bugged or you need to meet some obscure special condition. Everything went pretty smoothly, with the Azazel run being especially hilarious. Got Ludo and a dark bum super early, cruised through to Satan on auto-pilot. Had a brief moment of sheer panic when I realized that the Ludo brim circle might be so big that it'll hit Satan's second form, but luckily that wasn't the case.

Now to get the D100 :suicide:

How the gently caress do you have 92% already

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Goddammit, why oh why did I wait until AFTER Everything Is Terrible! to try to get my Eve runs in?! She's just so goddamn weak that even weak enemies eventually corner me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

How the gently caress do you have 92% already

I basically had the whole week off, so I've been playing Rebirth like a loving crazy person. My Steam timer's at 52 hours already which is super inflated due to me just leaving the game on while doing other things, but that still means I've put in a solid 30-35 hours into it. Plus I played the poo poo out of the first one, so once I got the time-consuming stuff out of the way like beating Mom 10 times and unlocking all the floors/characters, I just sort of went about unlocking everything else systematically.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How do I unlock challenges 8, 11, and 19 and what are they? I've done basically everything I can think of to unlock them but maybe I missed some obvious stuff. Do they require a specific set of items to unlock?

edit: Never mind, just looked it up on the wiki. Becoming Guppy on a normal randomly-made playthrough is harder than it sounds.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Just did a run where I had Lil Brimstone, that flying fish thingy that bites, and Bob's explosive thoughts, plus the familiar upgrade. I actually had great tear DPS as well and Mom's heart lasted literally a few seconds.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Choco1980 posted:

Goddammit, why oh why did I wait until AFTER Everything Is Terrible! to try to get my Eve runs in?! She's just so goddamn weak that even weak enemies eventually corner me.

Rub yourself against the first enemy you see until you're down to 1 heart, then never let yourself go above it. Sell all your heart containers to the Devil and play her like a superpowered version of ???. She's actually pretty amazing if you can keep her in Danger Mode the entire run.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kawalimus posted:

The worst are those chained guys, who randomly leave a single spot of hard to see creep where they die.

Weird, because too me these guys make the Womb way more tolerable. Any room with them seems to have them spawn and nothing else. Since they can't actually reach you its not dangerous at all.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

Rub yourself against the first enemy you see until you're down to 1 heart, then never let yourself go above it. Sell all your heart containers to the Devil and play her like a superpowered version of ???. She's actually pretty amazing if you can keep her in Danger Mode the entire run.

Rocketlex has the right of it. Super Saiyan Eve demolishes everything and doesn't give a poo poo. When Whore of Babylon is active you get like +3 damage and a couple points of speed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

WOOOOO!

It took for loving ever, but I just finished the Solar System challenge. I got so lucky to get an early Krampus Head which made that challenge so very bearable, even beatable, especially when I grabbed a 9-volt for it. I even beat Mom's Heart fast enough to get the boss rush with the Head (not that I did it, holy gently caress that is not a challenge to do the Boss Rush on). It got tense as gently caress in Necropolis 1 when after I chumped The Adversary with the Krampus head I got The Lovers and The High Priestess cards mixed up and dropped Mom's Foot on my head. :v:

But I persevered to Mom who gave me the Placenta which I cheesed in as many Womb rooms as I could for health regen. Krampus Head and another High Priestess card (used properly) was enough to get me within orbital chip rang of Mom's Heart.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 10, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Internet Kraken posted:

Weird, because too me these guys make the Womb way more tolerable. Any room with them seems to have them spawn and nothing else. Since they can't actually reach you its not dangerous at all.

Oh yeah they're easy as hell, I'm talking specifically about the tiny spot of creep they leave when they die. It's usually an issue when there's other enemies in the room too and I end up killing it first, then I run over its creep that I can't see while running away from the other enemies. If it weren't for the fact that I couldn't see it I'd have no problem with it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Do you have to do all the things for unlocking the lost in a row? If you gently caress up or reset does it not do it?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So does Sharp Plug always take two full hearts to recharge your spacebar item or does it depend on how many charges it needs.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Alkydere posted:

WOOOOO!

It took for loving ever, but I just finished the Solar System challenge. I got so lucky to get an early Krampus Head which made that challenge so very bearable, even beatable, especially when I grabbed a 9-volt for it. I even beat Mom's Heart fast enough to get the boss rush with the Head (not that I did it, holy gently caress that is not a challenge to do the Boss Rush on). It got tense as gently caress in Necropolis 1 when after I chumped The Adversary with the Krampus head I got The Lovers and The High Priestess cards mixed up and dropped Mom's Foot on my head. :v:

But I persevered to Mom who gave me the Placenta which I cheesed in as many Womb rooms as I could for health regen. Krampus Head and another High Priestess card (used properly) was enough to get me within orbital chip rang of Mom's Heart.

I think this is one of the things I like about the Challenges in BoI and Rebirth. A lot of them do feel like a slog, but it feels like they're almost there to teach you about specific interesting synergies you might never encounter if you were in the mindset of "oh, solar system sucks, I never pick it up, it sure is a run-ender!" The game starts you with them, and then forces you to try to make the best of it. So you end up picking up poo poo you might ordinarily skip because, "oh god make the pain stop"

I think it also forces a more diligent application of fundamentals like when to go in the shop, how much money you should be carrying, looking for secret rooms, and trying to keep about 2-3 bombs around to look for the secret room on the next floor.

I was coaching a new player last night, and I had an easier time teaching him those fundamentals through those challenges. He was so used to just playing the game like a slot machine with the item rooms. If you take that away it forces you to do a more value-focused run.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
The self-damaging stuff they added in Rebirth is all really annoying. I just tried Mega Satan for the first time and managed to die only because I had quad shot with the fire/explosion tears that I had picked up before the boss rush. It's just a little dull because it's like "well, never going to pick that up again" once I know what it does. The fire is cool, too, but quarters are too close in this game to really want to deal with anything that can hit me for a full heart if I accidentally am too close to the enemy I'm attacking. Unless you get that explosion->heal item I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Zeratanis posted:

This and bob's brain could be the thread title.

I'm surprised to see so many comments about Bob's Brain, is it just from blowing yourself up too much? I've gotten it on several runs and it's never really bothered me that much or seemed to change the way I'm playing. Definitely doesn't seem to be a potential run ender like something like Soy Milk could be.

Also, if you get that one (or the flying worm) on The Bean or other blindfold challenges it's awesome, they're practically like having a slow powerful tear once you get used to it.