Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Tom Ross scrapes by game 3 at 1 life with W/U Heroic over Green Devotion, a game that's usually a walk-over, because the guy drew 2 Nylea's Disciples in game 2 to win and then Tom fought through 2 Disciples and a Chord and won game 3 by basically doing 45 damage before the other guy was able to do 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tom Ross is pretty good at Magic: the Gathering

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Oh poo poo, a guy just got Elspeth's emblem, then played a second Elspeth and got tokens at 2 life, opponent plays Whip and looks like he'll win until it's noted his Rhino is exiled to Chained to the Rocks, gets a Roc and swings, guy scoops without realizing his tokens now fly. Horrible to see.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
:froggonk:

That punt physically hurt to watch.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Thankfully, the person this happened to is noted fucker idiot Harry Corvese

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AgentSythe posted:

What is your beef with him?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

I've played against him and he's pretty chill whats the deal?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I've played against him and he's pretty chill whats the deal?

He plays Sneak and Show. :colbert: I don't actually know, he seems ok from what I've seen.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

He plays Sneak and Show. :colbert: I don't actually know, he seems ok from what I've seen.

This is enough of a reason to punch someone in the dick.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

End of Life Guy posted:

Is there a list of EDH staples that can go in basically any deck like artifacts or lands and maybe a list of good cards of each color ? I want to spice up the white and black pre-cons that the misses and I just bought. I don't want to re-invent the wheel by searching Gatherer for keywords that I can think of if I don't have to.

This blog has a good list of strong staples in each colour (according to them, anyway). As for lands, Boseiju, Buried Ruin, Cavern of Souls (best in a tribal deck), Hall of the Bandit Lord (for more aggressive decks), Nykthos (incredible in mono-colour decks), Strip Mine and Terrain Generator are pretty good options. For your black deck, there's no reason not to get Cabal Coffers, and even Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth to squeeze all the mana you can get out of it. Emeria, the Sky Ruin and Windbrisk Heights are cool white lands to consider.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I broke down and borrowed Sidisi Whip yesterday and took the night off to go to FNM. I rather enjoyed that deck. I went 3-2 but I don't consider that and since I had never seen or play tested the deck. Luckily it kind of had a dredge/reanimator feel to it so it wasn't too difficult to pilot.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Equilibrium posted:

:froggonk:

That punt physically hurt to watch.

Does anybody have a link or a round or time I missed the beautiful punts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So Tom Ross pretty much never losses i guess.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

So Tom Ross pretty much never losses i guess.

He's pretty good at Magic, to say the least.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Am I a dick?

I think I am a dick, but at least I can count.

He ended up winning that game even though I killed kiki and top decked another sister. I won game 3, then he timed out game 2 but I still think I would have won. I had 3 sisters on board with a norin and next turn I was going to resolve a purphoros with path of exile up.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Got one of those collections in today that had been sitting in a dude's box from house to house for fifteen years, and it was one of those "99% stacks of garbage from Unlimited to Starter 1999" and then two Forces and a Lion's Eye in near mint condition. I tell him that he has about fifteen pounds of junk and half an ounce of 200+ bucks, so we end up offering him 60 bucks cold cash. He decides that instead he thinks he'll give the entire collection to his neighbor's 11 year old son. :3:

Part of me wants to believe that he just made up that compelling story on the spot to politely get the hell out of Dodge and load it all up on eBay, because I wish I was that eleven year old kid

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I Don't Think Tom Ross Will Ever Lose Another Match Of Magic In His Life.

Seriously, I can't imagine a more miserable match-up than UB Vault Control and he STILL got there. He's my favorite for sure. Sorry Craig Wescoe.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Nah, Ross still gets his losses. I'm pretty sure he went 0-2 Drop (or maybe it was 1-2) at an Open at some point last season.

He is a pretty drat good player though so his losses are pretty far between.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Tom Ross, no :(

2 more years of Siege Rhino

E: Heliod's Pilgrim, fail to find on the trigger

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

First Bass posted:

I tell him that he has about fifteen pounds of junk and half an ounce of 200+ bucks
See, that's where you went wrong. Leave that part out, tell him it's like, 20 bucks, and he'll sell to you and be done with it. If people aren't willing to do their own research, they sort walk right into bad deals.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am all for fleecing rubes with wizards cards.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Let's see those Bloodsoaked Champions jump in price. :getin:

EDIT: nevermind :(

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 9, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mercury Crusader posted:

EDIT: nevermind :(

Would've been an interesting game if not for that drown in sorrow top deck.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
That drown in sorrow was justice for drawing triple thoughtseize and a brain maggot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Equilibrium posted:

triple thoughtseize and a brain maggot.

Which combined w/ a pain land also almost made the drain from triple rhinos lethal.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

:allears: Oh man, that infect token that Tom Ross has.

edit: Turn three infect kill through a Force of Will. Nice.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 9, 2014

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

That salt from the dredge player against Rill. Amazing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

pakman posted:

That salt from the dredge player against Rill. Amazing.

Not as good as the Jund Depths guy Helming his opponent out with his own RiP. My hero. :allears:

Edit: Was that a past event? I wasn't paying that much attention.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Not as good as the Jund Depths guy Helming his opponent out with his own RiP. My hero. :allears:

Edit: Was that a past event? I wasn't paying that much attention.

It was. It never stops being beautiful though. :allears:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Tom Ross and his singleton Become Immense for the win over URg Delver. Legacy Infect, ladies and gentlemen.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

Tom Ross and his singleton Become Immense for the win over URg Delver. Legacy Infect, ladies and gentlemen.

The silver lining for whomever lost is that the match was lost to someone who had to become immense.

Also sometimes when faced with a RUG delver the best option is to Become Immense.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
You can't ninjutsu directly after you declare attackers, right?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Molybdenum posted:

You can't ninjutsu directly after you declare attackers, right?

True. The ability requires that the creature be an unblocked attacker.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, does anyone know if pictures exist of the guy at the Open playing the Bear tribal deck in a bear suit?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

bhsman posted:

Zoness posted:

The silver lining for whomever lost is that the match was lost to someone who had to become immense.

Also sometimes when faced with a RUG delver the best option is to Become Immense.

The world is a good and just place. I'm so stoked on this.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
The best thing was that it was a singleton Piracy Charm in the deck to kill the Delver, a singleton Wasteland to get rid of his only other permanent, and then a third singleton Become Immense to hit for ten poison counters in one turn.

This guy is incredible.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Boxman posted:

So, does anyone know if pictures exist of the guy at the Open playing the Bear tribal deck in a bear suit?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

There's no loving way that can be remotely comfortable to wear

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's no loving way that can be remotely comfortable to wear

Eh, I think you just have to grin and bear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

vOv posted:

Eh, I think you just have to grin and bear it.
Cedric is bearly containing his excitement.

• Locked thread