Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Yep! Ugh I hope Taco (not his official name, I'm just hungry right now) doesn't turn into an rear end in a top hat once he's used to us. So far he keeps a very big distance from me, and from the little I've seen him after work and this morning, he's rather mellow with the hens. My BiL aready mixed him with the hens :psyduck: so I'm gonna deworm him today and apply more vaseline to his legs.He's 3 years old, so at least he isn't a horny teenager anymore.

And here are the best pictures I could take of him, he's the size of my hens, so no more dealing with large birds :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Chido posted:

Yep! Ugh I hope Taco (not his official name, I'm just hungry right now) doesn't turn into an rear end in a top hat once he's used to us. So far he keeps a very big distance from me, and from the little I've seen him after work and this morning, he's rather mellow with the hens. My BiL aready mixed him with the hens :psyduck: so I'm gonna deworm him today and apply more vaseline to his legs.He's 3 years old, so at least he isn't a horny teenager anymore.

And here are the best pictures I could take of him, he's the size of my hens, so no more dealing with large birds :3:

WOW, he is handsome! Handsome in a small guy kinda way! How are the girls acting? How is the bumblefoot surgery gal doing?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Waffle is doing well so far.I haven't been able to soak her feel as often as I wish I could due to getting home late from work and by the time I get here, the girls are busy doing homework and my sister is helping them, so I can't do the treatment on my own.I keep her feet bandaged, though, so at least they are protected from irritation. The henhoes seem ok with him, but today is the first day I can actually watch them interact.

Taco stands a lot like meerkat, suddenly all straight up and looking around, then keeps eating. Neither Tabasco nor Roostroyer were that paranoid. Omg this rooster seems to be doing his job really well already, and the best of all is that he isn't chasing the hens at full speed yet yay!

Taco got a squeakier crow than the other two roosters had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT3lbNDvwok

Chido fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 1, 2014

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

awww thanks for sharing. Love his distinct squeaky crow :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Taco got a squeakier crow than the other two roosters had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT3lbNDvwok

Awww. I think he's a pretty boy. His squeaky crow that gurgles out at the end makes me laugh. I think "Taco" is a good name for him. If he doesn't turn out to be a good roo, you can always make him into some chicken tacos. :D

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

... the hoes love him. Apparently Dust, Tissue and Godzilla fought him for a bit the first two days he was here, but now he's fitting in as if he had always been here. I was also told that he's VERY protective and scares crows away, and he used to chase cats away in hiss previous home. He must feel happy being the only roo with 7 hens all for him, and so far he's been very nice to them :stare: aand his name is Taco now, my BiL likes it too :3

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Inveigle posted:

Awww. I think he's a pretty boy. His squeaky crow that gurgles out at the end makes me laugh. I think "Taco" is a good name for him. If he doesn't turn out to be a good roo, you can always make him into some chicken tacos. :D

The last one was Tobasco, this one should be Sriracha. He's an asian jungle fowl.... Name him after an asian hot sauce.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Question from a non-chicken-owner: I read this thread for the pictures and the occasionally funny stories, and I notice that most chicken keepers don't have a rooster. Why would you want/not want a rooster for your chickens?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Question from a non-chicken-owner: I read this thread for the pictures and the occasionally funny stories, and I notice that most chicken keepers don't have a rooster. Why would you want/not want a rooster for your chickens?

1. You (and your spouse/family) don't want a rooster doing 4 a.m. crowing.
2. Your neighbors don't want to hear the crowing.
3. Your city or your deed restrictions don't allow roosters (or poultry) at all.

If there were crowless roosters, I bet that most everyone would have a rooster for their flock! Roosters are so pretty as well as protective.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Cythereal posted:

They tend to be very noisy, especially early in the morning (ie 3am) and on full moons (or all the time if you have street lights etc). Some towns or suburbs ban them for that reason. Sometimes families with young children will avoid getting a rooster too, if they want the kids to be used to picking up and cuddling the hens, as roosters can be aggressive and their spurs can do a lot of damage. (Most kids in my town know to never cuddle a rooster or tease them.)

I have some vegetarian friends who don't keep roosters because they don't like the idea of eating fertilised eggs, as well.

Mostly it's the noise though, and laws associated with the noise.

Inveigle posted:

If there were crowless roosters, I bet that most everyone would have a rooster for their flock! Roosters are so pretty as well as protective.

This is pretty accurate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I see, and can relate given how noisy more traditional pet birds are in my apartment complex.

As it is, crossposting from PYF with a therapy rooster who works in a nursing home.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Cythereal posted:

As it is, crossposting from PYF with a therapy rooster who works in a nursing home.
Oh, he is adorable.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
So despite our losses, we have grown our little feathery family by twice as much.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Griffball posted:

So despite our losses, we have grown our little feathery family by twice as much.

absolutely ADORABLE! Thanks for sharing the photos :) Do they just make you smile Griffball?

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Definately, I wasn't sure how the girls would take to them, but there has been no fights so it seems all good.

The lady we got them from has a pretty huge farm with lot's of different breeds, she asked me since we already had pekins if we wanted more of the same, I decided variety was the best thing, so we got a Silkie and Belgian, both bantams! They are freaking adorable.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Chido, I'm so glad Taco is getting along with the hoes. He's pretty and his crow is great. He totally deserved a good home like yours.

Ermugherd that belgian :kimchi:

Now I want to get a chick and turn it into a therapy bird! So calm and sweet! Mine would just peck your lap and hop off looking disgruntled.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Griffball posted:

Cute little d'Uccle rooboy! Oh, and you can just pop those little round Cochin balls into a mailing tube and send them to ME.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Cythereal posted:

I see, and can relate given how noisy more traditional pet birds are in my apartment complex.

Aaawwww, I didn't realize until I watched his bath video that he has no toes! What a sweetie! http://vimeo.com/62301694

Mr. Joy :keke:

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Cute little d'Uccle rooboy! Oh, and you can just pop those little round Cochin balls into a mailing tube and send them to ME.

Roo...boy.... Oh god maybe he is.

I don't know the age of it, but roughly when would he start crowing if he/she was a rooster?

Griffball fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 3, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Griffball posted:

Roo...boy.... Oh god maybe he is.

I don't know the age of it, but roughly when would he start crowing if he/she was a rooster?

I'd say he is a boy for sure. See the sickle-shaped curved tail feathers, and the pointed, shiny neck/tail hackles? Also, most MilleFleur d'Uccle roos have those mahogany wing bars that match their hackles, the hens don't. Most roos start crowing anywhere from about 4-6 months of age, give or take a month either way. He looks old enough now.

Check the Silkie--if it has some extra-long, spikey feathers (I call them streamers) growing from the back of it's head/crest, it's a roo as well. You can GIS Silkie roosters to see what I mean.

Somebody here had video of a baby chick crowing at some ridiculously young age, something like just a few weeks. :psyduck:

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
How do you guys deal with the squabbling in the roost at night? Outside and roaming they get along just fine, sometimes the older ones will have a run at the newer ones, but there is plenty of room to get away and go about their own business. But when I come to check they are all in the coop last evening the two new guys were trying to roost in the small gap behind the coop, I thought it was late enough that I could sneak them onto the roost with the other girls but they straight away started pecking quite viciously, I figured the best way to break up the squabble was just let the new girls roost on the ground level for now and they can sort it out amongst themselves?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I have never heard a chicken sneeze like this before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUE9j8TD6kU

Mine are much more delicate and ladylike. Maybe they are different types of sneezing.

Also re roost squabbling: I notice as well that chickens who are best friends when they're outside get very competitive when it's time for finding a spot on the roost. Other birds, too: flocks of parrots can be deafening at dusk when they're all trying to get a space on the best branches of a tree to sleep for the night. Even when there's room for all of them, they have to push their social inferiors off their favourite branch and peck them if they try to get back up. Chickens do the same. When Alecto's being too aggressive, I sometimes squirt her with a bit of water, but mostly she eventually gets tired (we have very short twilights in our part of Queensland so it gets very dark very quickly) or the little chickens decide to sit on the lower part of the roost. Agatha gets pecked if she tries to get into the middle of the chicken huddle (ie, the best spot) and sometimes tries to sneak her way in by wriggling under Alecto :v:

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I have never heard a chicken sneeze like this before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUE9j8TD6kU

Mine are much more delicate and ladylike. Maybe they are different types of sneezing.

Also re roost squabbling: I notice as well that chickens who are best friends when they're outside get very competitive when it's time for finding a spot on the roost. Other birds, too: flocks of parrots can be deafening at dusk when they're all trying to get a space on the best branches of a tree to sleep for the night. Even when there's room for all of them, they have to push their social inferiors off their favourite branch and peck them if they try to get back up. Chickens do the same. When Alecto's being too aggressive, I sometimes squirt her with a bit of water, but mostly she eventually gets tired (we have very short twilights in our part of Queensland so it gets very dark very quickly) or the little chickens decide to sit on the lower part of the roost. Agatha gets pecked if she tries to get into the middle of the chicken huddle (ie, the best spot) and sometimes tries to sneak her way in by wriggling under Alecto :v:

Yeah I'm rather south of you so go to bed time with my chooks is a bit longer, I think for now I'll just get them in at ground level to start with, and if they keep up with the competitiveness I'll make some sort of lower roost. I'm considering the fact that they don't pick on him pretty good evidence that geronimo is a rooster.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
New chicks came today. 6 of 7 made it. I have a heater that they can get under, and it adjusts its height. Recommended instead of heat lamp for safety. I find them huddled together, no where near heat. Put lamp on, they instantly get energetic. When I leave to go get my son (half hour or so) I turn off lamp, leaving other heater. Return? They're huddled together, not near heater.

So, any suggestions?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

torgeaux posted:

New chicks came today. 6 of 7 made it. I have a heater that they can get under, and it adjusts its height. Recommended instead of heat lamp for safety. I find them huddled together, no where near heat. Put lamp on, they instantly get energetic. When I leave to go get my son (half hour or so) I turn off lamp, leaving other heater. Return? They're huddled together, not near heater.

So, any suggestions?

Sooooooo chickens are kind of dumb. Just saying.

But that being said they will huddle together in the place that is the warmth they like best. They won't freeze as long as there is heat it might just be a little too hot by the heater and perfect where they decide to hang out together. Also they will always run around and act like idiots when the light is on.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So. How do you catch a human hating chicken that's in a huge bramble of blackberries and knows how to outwit a net? And a humane trap? Because I'm thinking gattling gun at this point.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So. How do you catch a human hating chicken that's in a huge bramble of blackberries and knows how to outwit a net? And a humane trap? Because I'm thinking gattling gun at this point.

Bribes usually work for me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
OK, one of the new chicks has a caked butt. I pulled free the hard obstruction and used a warm wash damp wash cloth to clean him up. Anything else to do?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

torgeaux posted:

OK, one of the new chicks has a caked butt. I pulled free the hard obstruction and used a warm wash damp wash cloth to clean him up. Anything else to do?

Keep,doing it over and over again until it stops.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Keep,doing it over and over again until it stops.

Got it. Thanks!

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Thought I'd share some pictures of this years hatch. Almost done sorting through and making final selections as the birds are rounding into shape.

First Large Fowl Langshans, Black Pullets and that'd be my top Blue Cockerel in the one picture. Tails aren't all the way in on the pictures of them on the range. The pullets in the pens are making their show debut in two weeks, very excited to see how they do!

Another bird I have high hopes for in this falls shows is this little Blue Langshan bantam. The second pic really shows off her coloring I think.

Some of the Buff Leghorns. They're probably a year or two away from being super competitive. The pullet in the cage and the cockerel in the background of the first picture might do ok in the show ring though.

Just about a month away from setting up the breeding pens and turning on lights so can start hatching all over again in late January. Been a great year so far with a lot of progress made, so hopefully next year will be another great leap forward!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Hixalot posted:

Thought I'd share some pictures of this years hatch. Almost done sorting through and making final selections as the birds are rounding into shape.

What beautiful chickens! I love Langshans, with their black feathers and pink faces and big black eyes. Seeing a whole flock of them together is great. The little blue Langshan is also very cute :3:

And those buff Leghorns are lovely! I've mostly only ever seen white ones, they look even better buff. So soft and fluffy. :kimchi:

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What beautiful chickens! I love Langshans, with their black feathers and pink faces and big black eyes. Seeing a whole flock of them together is great. The little blue Langshan is also very cute :3:

And those buff Leghorns are lovely! I've mostly only ever seen white ones, they look even better buff. So soft and fluffy. :kimchi:

Thank you. The Langshans are my favorite too. All told I've worked with them for over 15 years.

The Leghorns are a fun side project, Buff was one of the oldest colors (after White, Light Brown and Dark Brown), and have always wanted to work with a Buff bird as the color is said to be one of the most challenging to breed well. So hopefully in the next 3 years or so will learn a lot before moving on to something else.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Hixalot posted:

Just about a month away from setting up the breeding pens and turning on lights so can start hatching all over again in late January. Been a great year so far with a lot of progress made, so hopefully next year will be another great leap forward!

WOW! Those are some GORGEOUS birds! LOVE the shape of the Langshan! I bet you can't buy those from a mail order company and have them look like that! My dream flock would include some Faverolles but the ones available through mail order are not very much in line with the breed standard, and it's difficult to find a breeder. The U shape to them is so cool, you know from the top of their head to the end of the tail feathers! I've learned so much from this information site. I had no idea that each breed can come in a whole assortment of colors, sizes.... etc. HIXALOT, thank you so much for sharing your photos!

edit: Good luck at the Poultry Show/Competition!

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

Ok, my golden wyandotte has laid two or three double-yolked turkey eggs, and I've felt sorry for her each time. But one of my marans just took the cake this afternoon by laying a small potato.

Also, now that the ladies are all basically in full lay, I've been getting 3-4 eggs a day from them pretty much solidly. Every now and then I'll get only two, but I've gotten all five hens on one day twice now. They're hard workers. I'm glad I got dual purpose breeds, and not the "high yield" eggers. Sheesh. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ I've gotten eggs like that. They make you yelp, 'Oh my GOD!' and go running out to see if anyone has turned themselves inside-out.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Nice article about elderly men (and women) who find that keeping chickens helps them to be less lonely.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/11198410/Chickens-helping-the-elderly-tackle-loneliness.html

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 10, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

We caught haterade last night, almost a week after she escaped. Apparently her wings were -not- clipped and now she's all sorts of mannerly and begging for treats since she's inside the pen with the others. Flirts with the black roo really hardcore too. Much as I like the lavender, it might be the black one that stays.

And haterade really, really likes bugs. She murdered the gently caress out of every anthill she finds. Everybody else ignores them.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Inveigle posted:

Nice article about elderly men (and women) who find that keeping chickens helps them to be less lonely.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/11198410/Chickens-helping-the-elderly-tackle-loneliness.html

Oh cool it's not just me then :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We caught haterade last night, almost a week after she escaped. Apparently her wings were -not- clipped and now she's all sorts of mannerly and begging for treats since she's inside the pen with the others. Flirts with the black roo really hardcore too. Much as I like the lavender, it might be the black one that stays.

And haterade really, really likes bugs. She murdered the gently caress out of every anthill she finds. Everybody else ignores them.

Wait, wait, WAIT--you have a CHICKEN that eats ants?! Clone that mother fucker.