Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i almost won Cursed but mom killed me just as i killed her :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Bob's Brain is cool since it gets effected by the other bomb power ups. If you have nothing that boosts bombs on you though I'd never pick it up.

It's also kinda buggy and goes flying towards monsters it senses in unexplored rooms i guess.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Ror posted:

I'm surprised to see so many comments about Bob's Brain, is it just from blowing yourself up too much? I've gotten it on several runs and it's never really bothered me that much or seemed to change the way I'm playing. Definitely doesn't seem to be a potential run ender like something like Soy Milk could be.

It's not a run-ender, but it is annoying. It forces you to keep your distance from enemies in a way that not every room is laid out to allow. I think Flaming Tears are a lot worse for this because the explosion is random. Bob's Brain you can at least maneuver how you want.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I got the D10 in the Basement and used it in a room with flies in it. It turned them into the laser eyeballs from the Womb! Never picking that up again.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Waffle! posted:

I got the D10 in the Basement and used it in a room with flies in it. It turned them into the laser eyeballs from the Womb! Never picking that up again.

I think you're supposed to use it on later enemies to turn them into weaker enemies.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Do the chained guys even do anything? I saw one break away right as I killed it but they just kinda look funny and that's it. Same with the devils chained to the wall (who look hilarious to me)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah they just run at you and make creep. When the devil guys break free the room goes dark.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Bob's Brain is cool since it gets effected by the other bomb power ups. If you have nothing that boosts bombs on you though I'd never pick it up.

It's also kinda buggy and goes flying towards monsters it senses in unexplored rooms i guess.

It doesn't fly off on its own. It flies off in the direction you're shooting tears.

It is however buggy and inconsistent on WHEN it will let you shoot if off.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do the tentacles do anything?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Alkydere posted:

It doesn't fly off on its own. It flies off in the direction you're shooting tears.

It is however buggy and inconsistent on WHEN it will let you shoot if off.

There's a short delay after it spawns and after you enter a room. That's all.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ErIog posted:

I think this is one of the things I like about the Challenges in BoI and Rebirth. A lot of them do feel like a slog, but it feels like they're almost there to teach you about specific interesting synergies you might never encounter if you were in the mindset of "oh, solar system sucks, I never pick it up, it sure is a run-ender!" The game starts you with them, and then forces you to try to make the best of it. So you end up picking up poo poo you might ordinarily skip because, "oh god make the pain stop"

I think it also forces a more diligent application of fundamentals like when to go in the shop, how much money you should be carrying, looking for secret rooms, and trying to keep about 2-3 bombs around to look for the secret room on the next floor.

I was coaching a new player last night, and I had an easier time teaching him those fundamentals through those challenges. He was so used to just playing the game like a slot machine with the item rooms. If you take that away it forces you to do a more value-focused run.

See, for the most part I agree as a guy who just jumped on the BOI bandwagon. A lot of challenges have taught me about syngeries. And doing a self-imposed Azazel series of runs to get Basement Boy and unlock Sampson taught me a LOT about dodging.

All Cat Got Your Tongue and Solar System really taught me was "PAIN!" and "SUFFERING!" and pray for carry drops.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the item that makes you not able to shoot tears? (from those challenges)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not an item, you just have a blindfold on. which is why it's bad to reroll your items, because it might leave you with no way to attack.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.

Kurtofan posted:

There is no such item, it's a flag associated with those challenges and does not occur outside them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kurtofan posted:

It's not an actual item, thankfully.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kurtofan posted:

Do the tentacles do anything?

No, they just take up space. Usually I see them acting as the lone enemy in a room fool of the floating skulls.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
The streak of broken-ness continues:

Guppy Azalel + Dark Friend (this guy needs a nerf tbh) + Tammy's Head + Nun's Habbit.

Went to Sheol, fight with Satan took roughly 5 seconds.

Rebirth seriously needs a run save-replay mechanic.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I got health regeneration during the cursed challenge

Welp

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Flush plus the petrified poop is a fantastic combination. So much free poo poo from poop.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

shodanjr_gr posted:

Rebirth seriously needs a run save-replay mechanic.

It has one, all you need is the 8-digit seed code (found on the pause screen) and you'll get the same run every time except for the truly random stuff like room drops (coins, keys, bombs, etc).

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It does have one, all you need is the 8-digit seed code (found on the pause screen) and you'll get the same run every time except for the truly random stuff like room drops (coins, keys, bombs, etc).

I meant more along the lines of actually recording the full gameplay of a run and then being able to replay it later. I'm aware of the seeded run mechanic (which is quite nice in its own right).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

Flush plus the petrified poop is a fantastic combination. So much free poo poo from poop.

I think he means it should save the whole run for viewing so e;fb.

Also, taking a break from the brokenness of Azazel to play some Eve and does Whore of Babylon not make you significantly biggera ny more? Because that's awesome.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 10, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, I see. That also makes sense I guess.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Huh, I found out the Notched Axe can open up secret rooms. I accidentally went over a wall and it opened up the super secret room. It went from a completely useless item in the original game, to a pretty useful one in Rebirth.

In a different run, I went from a decent run, and thanks to a random reroll room, I got stuck with cursed shot and tiny planet. It gave me the Gemini thing, an attack fly, and spoonbender as well. Wasn't enough to save me from accidentally getting hit near the end of the Mom's heart fight.

Kurtofan posted:

I have flight :v: no wonder pressing space didn't do anything
I had flight when I first found it, and it did make my character jump forward. You do have to be holding down a direction before it does anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dewgy posted:

Yeah Petrified Poop is amazing with a Card Against Humanity too, especially if it's in a quadruple size room.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Ror posted:

I'm surprised to see so many comments about Bob's Brain, is it just from blowing yourself up too much?

It just gets in the way when your tears are plenty powerful already, which is a pain in the rear end.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Has dead boy been fixed with the patch? I'm about to fight ??? with the holy mantle and max damage and I'd like to know if I should hold off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My problem with Bob's Brain is that it controls terribly. I often have trouble actually getting it to hit stuff, and then you have to worry about it deciding to blow up on your next shot against a much closer monster. If I could consistently hit monsters with it as they close the gap it would be fine, but its so prone to missing that I don't want to bother with it. It is really good against bosses though since they are huge targets and thus easy to hit.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Well, getting spirit of the night as eve is certainly pretty neat, totally worth going to 0 health:

How does goat head work if you dont' pick it up in a devil room - does it affect the likelihood of getting angel rooms as well as devil rooms?

What's the full explanation on angel room and devil room mechanics? My vague understanding is something about avoiding damage increases the likelihood of a devil room and rejecting devil deals increases the likelihood of an angel room?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 10, 2014

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like Bob's brain, and I only skip on it if I am already running with tears that deal heavy damage and allow me to handle shielded foes. It just requires you to stop shooting and aim once in awhile. It occasionally does result in self inflicted damage, but I find it gets me out of more trouble than it gets me into.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
j

VDay posted:

Yeah it's kind of annoying since it's so RNG based. Still, it goes by somewhat quickly if you just hold down R and wait for a big square (2x2) room. At least then you're just checking a room every few seconds rather than wasting time constantly going into every little room.

Speaking of the Lost:

:toot:

No idea what I did wrong last night though to not get him. Glad it wasn't bugged or you need to meet some obscure special condition. Everything went pretty smoothly, with the Azazel run being especially hilarious. Got Ludo and a dark bum super early, cruised through to Satan on auto-pilot. Had a brief moment of sheer panic when I realized that the Ludo brim circle might be so big that it'll hit Satan's second form, but luckily that wasn't the case.

Now to get the D100 :suicide:
just died on the judas part of the chain to unlock the lost. had too much speed and accidentally ran over a deal with the devil lmao

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ArfJason posted:

just died on the judas part of the chain to unlock the lost. had too much speed and accidentally ran over a deal with the devil lmao

Wait until you play with the Lost. It's like the game decides to remind you just how awful you are at dodging little incidental damage. I died on a super promising run deep because I went into a devil deal room while looking at my fantasy team on the other screen, completely forgetting that I hadn't fought Kramus yet. Dude blasted me in the face immediately as I scrambled to try and move.

I also found out that getting Judas' Shadow works in the sense that you do get to play as black Judas after Lost dies, but it doesn't count any of your kills as Lost kills so it's pointless for stuff like cheesing the boss rush. Makes sense, but still unfortunate.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jeez will sync ever work again on the PS4. Figured the update would had fixed it, but it still errors out when trying to grab the save from the Vita.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Unicorn Stump + Orbitals (particularly the sac dagger) is sooo good. Very good combination of non-special, non-rare items that's good enough to carry you to the end of the game with The Lost.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So are trophies on the PS4/Vita version bugged? Somehow I got It Lives! but not the one for ??? unlock.

Edit: also are the bosses on the first floor bugged? I cannot get the Cellar to unlock and have well over 60 clears on that stage. I've never seen Pin spawn once.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 10, 2014

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Rocketlex posted:

Rub yourself against the first enemy you see until you're down to 1 heart, then never let yourself go above it. Sell all your heart containers to the Devil and play her like a superpowered version of ???. She's actually pretty amazing if you can keep her in Danger Mode the entire run.

Or if you find a dice room. Goodbye, lovely Eve items.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
lmao tammys head + brimstone

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Monstro's Lung + Chocolate Milk is really strong. I two-shot Mom's heart and one-shot Satan's final stage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sokani posted:

Or if you find a dice room. Goodbye, lovely Eve items.
whore of babylon is pretty dang good tho and giving it up is giving up her only advantage
that's not worth getting rid of dead bird imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

IronicDongz posted:

whore of babylon is pretty dang good tho and giving it up is giving up her only advantage
that's not worth getting rid of dead bird imo

Whore of Babylon is good if you don't suck at the game and can avoid getting hit. It's not the right match for me.