Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't know, I feel that doing anything with the Brig is really the equivalent of digging up Liz and propping her up in a chair for a cameo.

He's done. You paid respects now be respectful.

Yeah. It's one thing to put his portrait up and have a family member continue the business, which are nice little tributes, but the Brig himself should be left alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

I hope Season 9 is a little less dark and that the new companion (I assume there will be a new one after Christmas, anyway), gets along with the Doctor a bit better, though.

Uh, yes? We know he gets Santa Claus already? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I was so happy they pulled the trigger on the Mistress, especially after the feint that she was going to be Death. And Michelle Gomez is fantastic in the role. Her coming down like a deranged Mary Poppins and being like, "Look, I'm a deranged Mary Poppins! This is awesome!" had me laughing so hard and I don't even know why.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Turning the Brigadier's corpse into a Cyberman was pretty gruesome and unnecessary, but I also kind of liked it because of what it implied. If the Brigadier still had enough of himself left to save his daughter, it means he faced the mind games of the Netherworld and came out on top. No aliens are going to be taking away his emotions! For the last few years since his death hasn't just been siting in a grave, he's been fighting the good fight. Godspeed, Brigadier. Not even death could stop you :patriot:

Also, it's me, I'm the person who liked Osgood more than Kate Stewart. I also liked the fanboy scientist in Planet of the Dead. I'm sorry.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ratspeaker posted:

Also, it's me, I'm the person who liked Osgood more than Kate Stewart. I also liked the fanboy scientist in Planet of the Dead. I'm sorry.

I give zero shits about Kate Stewart because they have done nothing but make her someone's daughter. She references her dad with every other loving line.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah. It's one thing to put his portrait up and have a family member continue the business, which are nice little tributes, but the Brig himself should be left alone.

I'm telling you, it wasn't the brig at all. It was Rory. Rory back from the dead, again.

Rory flew over to where the Doctor was to find out WTF was going on. Got to the Doctor's plane just as Kate fell out, so of course he rescued her because Rory is a good guy who wouldn't just let a woman fall to her death if he could help it. Then he catches up to the Doctor again, in time to see him waffling about killing the bad guy, so Rory just does it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wonder how long we can expect Capaldi in the role.

If he follows the standard of three series set by Tennant and Smith, then we probably have Moffat around for two more years, before handing off to a new show-runner for a new Doctor. If Capaldi seems like he could be around for longer then I could see the coming series being Moffats last, handing off halfway through the Capaldi run.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

If he follows the standard of three series set by Tennant and Smith

Patrick Troughton, who came up with the rule of three series, would like a word with you :colbert:

Tennant and Smith sort of did four years each, is the other thing, it just only ended up being three seasons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Has RTD ever talked about writing for the show again?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Has RTD ever talked about writing for the show again?

He tried to call Peter Davison to have a part in The Five-ish Doctors, but Davison hung up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I liked seeing him write for Matt Smith in that one SJA story, and I think unencumbered by the burdens of showrunning he could definitely produce some interesting stuff for the Capaldi.

Bicyclops posted:

He tried to call Peter Davison to have a part in The Five-ish Doctors, but Davison hung up.

Five-ish Doctors was fantastic.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As a new viewer, to me UNIT seems like the kind of fantasy that written by some wide-eyed idealist who could imagine a global crisis overcoming nationalism and humanity's us/them tendencies.

Which is kind of ironic, since nearly every time it's appeared in the revived series it's been accompanied with spitballs at Americans.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That was pretty good. It's just a shame the plots are never as strong as the grand themes. Still better than whatever that shite was with Alternate Universe Churchill that I've happily forgotten 95% of.

On the strength of The Five-Ish Doctors I'd be quite happy to see Peter Davison be the first Doctor to write for the show, incidentally.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

That was pretty good. It's just a shame the plots are never as strong as the grand themes. Still better than whatever that shite was with Alternate Universe Churchill that I've happily forgotten 95% of.

I don't know. I thought that episode was about the same quality with the major plus point of looking nice; this episode, and this series, have been so drab and ugly in comparison to the other Moffat seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I actually thought the muted color in the graveyard scenes (due to the clouds) gave them a wonderful eerie sense. That was probably some of the best imagery of the episode, those confused or slow Cybermen slumping against headstones or laying on the graves they'd just climbed out of, milling about uncertain and without purpose till somebody told them what to do.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

As a new viewer, to me UNIT seems like the kind of fantasy that written by some wide-eyed idealist who could imagine a global crisis overcoming nationalism and humanity's us/them tendencies.

Which is kind of ironic, since nearly every time it's appeared in the revived series it's been accompanied with spitballs at Americans.

In the classic series it was called the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce. Funny how that changed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dabir posted:

In the classic series it was called the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce. Funny how that changed.

It was United Nations in Aliens of London, too. The real-life U.N. has gotten more strict about that sort of thing, though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Senor Tron posted:

I wonder how long we can expect Capaldi in the role.

If he follows the standard of three series set by Tennant and Smith, then we probably have Moffat around for two more years, before handing off to a new show-runner for a new Doctor. If Capaldi seems like he could be around for longer then I could see the coming series being Moffats last, handing off halfway through the Capaldi run.

Actually, probably the latter rather than the former. Moffat himself said that the stress of taking over the show AND having a new Doctor in his first season was cripplingly difficult. Even if Capaldi only goes three seasons, I would expect to see Moffat bow out after Capaldi's second season, allowing his successor to have an established Doctor for at least one season before doing a regeneration.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but the last three episodes didn't do it at all for me. For some reason, I was expecting some sort of Mickey/Ricky build-up for Danny and holy poo poo if he didn't just whine his way into the sky to blow up. And while the behavior from the Mistress/Master was consistent with the wacky male version we saw a few seasons ago, it still seemed needlessly over the top. She was off-putting as hell and while I get that "that was the point" I got tired of being beaten over the head with it.

I really like Capaldi in the role, but they need to remember that they can't hit the same humor notes with him that they did with Smith and Tennant. I think the whole "man scout" thing would've probably been a funny one-liner from either of them but in this case it just seemed pointlessly mean to repeatedly belittle this guy who he's known for a total of 3 seconds who apparently just wanted to be a good guy before dying horrifically. Honestly, I didn't really get the theme of The Doctor harassing soldiers this season. Like not one-off jokes, but repeated bullying practically. Honestly, Capaldi bantering is Capaldi at his best, but he needs equal opposition and little Indian guy and Danny Pink were not that.

He and Clara bantering were basically the high points of dialog all season and while it's fine that she's going, the whole arc just seemed muddled and incomplete.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Honestly, I didn't really get the theme of The Doctor harassing soldiers this season.

He regenerated into a grumpy old rear end in a top hat and he's still ultragrumpy about his own soldiering.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I actually thought the muted color in the graveyard scenes (due to the clouds) gave them a wonderful eerie sense. That was probably some of the best imagery of the episode, those confused or slow Cybermen slumping against headstones or laying on the graves they'd just climbed out of, milling about uncertain and without purpose till somebody told them what to do.

I just thought the color correction just made things look badly lit.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Campbell posted:

Honestly, I didn't really get the theme of The Doctor harassing soldiers this season. Like not one-off jokes, but repeated bullying practically.

I think the point was supposed to be that the Doctor hated thinking of himself having been a soldier during the Time War, so he overcompensated by being a dick to every military guy he came across. They're all so stupid trying to fix problems by blowing them up; a smart guy like him would never do that :smug:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Actually, probably the latter rather than the former. Moffat himself said that the stress of taking over the show AND having a new Doctor in his first season was cripplingly difficult. Even if Capaldi only goes three seasons, I would expect to see Moffat bow out after Capaldi's second season, allowing his successor to have an established Doctor for at least one season before doing a regeneration.

I considered that, but it would seem to if anything make things harder for a new person coming in to essentially have a caretaker year where they are tying up someone elses work before getting the full fresh start.

That said, while I wouldn't give up Smiths first series for anything, I really wish I could pop into the alternate universe and watch the Series 5 where Tennant ended up hanging around for Moffats first year.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sounds like Moffat needs a bit more stress then.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

RBA Starblade posted:

He regenerated into a grumpy old rear end in a top hat and he's still ultragrumpy about his own soldiering.

That'd be neat if they ever touched on that hypocrisy but they didn't.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Yep. Again, this is probably another instance where working in the industry fucks things up for me, but every outdoor scene had this over processed muted palette to it that stank of Final Cut in program color correction. I know they don't have that much time to edit episodes but they could of at least used Resolve and aimed for a deeper palette on the final grade.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Rannos22 posted:

Pretty sure that's exactly what Into the Dalek and Danny's animosity with him ("Sir!") were supposed to get across.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
That finale felt like a disinterested rush job by Moffat standards. I'll be very surprised if he lasts until 2016.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I don't think it's wide-eyed, I think it's consciously optimistic, in the same way that Chekov being on the bridge in Star Trek was. It's the product of people in the Cold War trying to imagine a happy ending.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The finale was a disappointing end to an otherwise decent season

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Valeyard posted:

The finale was a disappointing end to an otherwise decent season

I really thought this would be your season too dude.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Senor Tron posted:

I considered that, but it would seem to if anything make things harder for a new person coming in to essentially have a caretaker year where they are tying up someone elses work before getting the full fresh start.

That said, while I wouldn't give up Smiths first series for anything, I really wish I could pop into the alternate universe and watch the Series 5 where Tennant ended up hanging around for Moffats first year.

Each season is pretty self-contained, though. I mean, yeah, there was some carryover from Series 5 to 6 with the Silence Will Fall stuff, but that's not the case with Capaldi. With Clara pretty much out the door and the Master presumed dead, what's left to tie up? Pretty much just finding Gallifrey, and you can take that or leave it.

So yeah, I would totally expect Moffat to leave at least one season before Capaldi does. Especially after that "I'm closer to the end of my time on Doctor Who than the beginning" quote from the Moff awhile back. I would consider it entirely likely that next season or the one after that is Moffat's last.

Dabir posted:

Sounds like Moffat needs a bit more stress then.

Yeah, but wasn't Series Five the only one where he wasn't splitting time with Sherlock?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Random Stranger posted:

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep. Again, this is probably another instance where working in the industry fucks things up for me, but every outdoor scene had this over processed muted palette to it that stank of Final Cut in program color correction. I know they don't have that much time to edit episodes but they could of at least used Resolve and aimed for a deeper palette on the final grade.

This is a pretty personal thing so objectively I can't at all disagree with this. But for me, I actually liked that it looked "badly lit" - the whole scenes just put me in mind of old 70s/80s horror movies where they filmed on location in bad light and didn't have the money or expertise to do anything about it in post production. Given that the Cybermen in this scene are basically the walking dead, and Clara is wandering around mostly in silence, all wide-eyed and confused like a character in one of those movies, it gave the whole thing a muted zombie-movie feel and brought to mind for me that sense of dread and unease I got from watching those films as a kid.

Purely subjective, and I'm not even trying to suggest this was in any way deliberate, but that is why it worked for me. I found those scenes the most unsettling parts of the entire episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Purely subjective, and I'm not even trying to suggest this was in any way deliberate, but that is why it worked for me. I found those scenes the most unsettling parts of the entire episode.

Honestly, this is what matters. It worked for you and a lot of other people, and I think the mood you got from it is exactly what they wanted. Sure, it's kind of difficult for a technical sperg like myself to appreciate it, but that doesn't actually mean it failed at what it set out to do.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rannos22 posted:

They did, though. Repeatedly. Danny literally yells at the Doctor about it in two episodes.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also the new Master is really bad and disappointing :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Valeyard posted:

Also the new Master is really bad and disappointing :(

Nah. She was good.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Michelle Gomez was great, she was just trapped inside a script where she made an army of cybermen so the Doctor would be friends with her again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, that's kind of the revival Master, though. I mean, his plans never made sense and even in the old show, when he had to see his worst nightmare, it was the Doctor laughing at him, so he's always been like the little brother who just can't stand that his cool bro won't pay any attention to him.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It was a somehow whackier version of John Simm, how is that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Michelle Gomez was great, she was just trapped inside a script where she made an army of cybermen so the Doctor would be friends with her again.

I liked that as a plot though. Blowing up the world is overdone and frequently pretty boring in Doctor Who, and so it was nice to see something slightly fresher that actually had some thematic buildup.

The execution was wobbly but the idea was good.

• Locked thread