Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah yeah yeah but what else aside from purple and green sprouts and flowers makes pizza look so loving pretty?

Make one with every meat and cheese you got in the house so it looks like fake plastic vomit and see how it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah yeah yeah but what else aside from purple and green sprouts and flowers makes pizza look so loving pretty?

Pepper curls, fresh herbs, thin sliced pickled veg, etc. poo poo, you could even make some kind of margherita style thing with a red wine redux on it for color.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Pepper curls, fresh herbs, thin sliced pickled veg, etc. poo poo, you could even make some kind of margherita style thing with a red wine redux on it for color.

All of which would work perfectly fine and would sit in the fridge going bad. My margins are razor thin and we are still building clientele. Keeping minimum ingredients on and and making them work in all the dishes is how I keep food waste down.

Also the people here would throw a fit if you put something with a vegetal flavor on their pizza. They don't like i got rid of iceberg lettuce on the burgers. The whole "building a new clientele" thing is coming along slowly but surely.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So I hate to come in, ignorant and all, but I gotta question, I have always wanted to become a professional baker, not a pastry chef, but an actual honest to goodness baker, what would be a good career path for that and recommendations on how to get started in that line of business?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I hope you like being poor. IIRC Liquid Communism was a baker for awhile, but the short version is that margins on baked goods are razor thin.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

I hope you like being poor. IIRC Liquid Communism was a baker for awhile, but the short version is that margins on baked goods are razor thin.

Can't be any worse than the IT Career I have at the moment. I think I would get more working at Walmart.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Can't be any worse than the IT Career I have at the moment. I think I would get more working at Walmart.

uhh yeah it probably can

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

JawKnee posted:

uhh yeah it probably can

I get paid minimum wage, I work in a server room, and I spend most of my day covered in strange brackish liquids, most likely oil, diesel and other liquids from our backup power supplies.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I get paid minimum wage, I work in a server room, and I spend most of my day covered in strange brackish liquids, most likely oil, diesel and other liquids from our backup power supplies.

I guess it depends on what hours you like working, how many you like working, how much you like physical labor, and what kind of liquids you would rather be covered in

e: also man working IT for minimum? That does suck. But unless you're looking to make a career out of baking, why not just get a FoH job if money is what you want to make?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

If you were to bake, this quote would change to:

I get paid minimum wage, I work in a cramped room with no windows, I spend most of my night covered in strange powders and sticky liquids, most likely oil, molasses, and dried on flour glue from all the poo poo I just spent the last 13 hours making even though I'm only going to get paid for 10.

Basically, if you can't use your current IT experience to get a better IT job, you're better off being a hooker, selling drugs, or as you said, working at Walmart, because any of those other options will be less soul crushing and more lucrative.

edit to be helpful:
In case you are loving crazy and still want to pursue baking, go into every decent bakery in your area with a resume and just ask for a job. You'll start out scooping cookies and mixing banana bread, but if you actively try to work quickly and learn, you can can probably start doing some actual baking after not too much time has passed. Seriously though, you're way better off spending your time finding a better IT job and using your surplus of cash to take some baking lessons or some poo poo.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 8, 2014

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Naelyan posted:

If you were to bake, this quote would change to:

I get paid minimum wage, I work in a cramped room with no windows, I spend most of my night covered in strange powders and sticky liquids, most likely oil, molasses, and dried on flour glue from all the poo poo I just spent the last 13 hours making even though I'm only going to get paid for 10.

Basically, if you can't use your current IT experience to get a better IT job, you're better off being a hooker, selling drugs, or as you said, working at Walmart, because any of those other options will be less soul crushing and more lucrative.

edit to be helpful:
In case you are loving crazy and still want to pursue baking, go into every decent bakery in your area with a resume and just ask for a job. You'll start out scooping cookies and mixing banana bread, but if you actively try to work quickly and learn, you can can probably start doing some actual baking after not too much time has passed. Seriously though, you're way better off spending your time finding a better IT job and using your surplus of cash to take some baking lessons or some poo poo.

Sadly where I live, IT Jobs are sorta this lovely no matter the place unless you know programming and I am terrible at that.

Edit: I will look into bakeries around here, I plan on moving for the sake of my fiancee soon but yeah.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 8, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sadly where I live, IT Jobs are sorta this lovely no matter the place unless you know programming and I am terrible at that.

Edit: I will look into bakeries around here, I plan on moving for the sake of my fiancee soon but yeah.

for someone "sorry they're coming into the thread sort of ignorant" you sure know a whole gently caress of a lot

take the advice you're given

(I do IT now)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

it is easier to get better at programming than at culinary, hope this helps.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Code and planning is hard, boring, difficult to work with and tedious, been thinking about volume baking! Also, health insurance is still pretty expensive, time to cut out my gallbladder with a butter knife and wear it on my face like a clown nose!

Nitram2.0
Dec 29, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No they asked for two sides of ranch and doused that all over it. It broke my heart.

The fancy wood-fired pizza place I work at intentionally does not offer ranch. That doesn't stop the customers from ordering a side of caesar. You know, because you gotta dip your $15 12" pizza in something, right?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Nitram2.0 posted:

The fancy wood-fired pizza place I work at intentionally does not offer ranch. That doesn't stop the customers from ordering a side of caesar. You know, because you gotta dip your $15 12" pizza in something, right?

Seems like the food industry isn't just thankless, but that you get straight up "gently caress you your work is poo poo" signals from clients on a regular basis.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Nitram2.0 posted:

If you make your own and charge like a dollar for a two ounce portion cup, it's a pretty easy way to make some bonus money. Components for homemade ranch are fairly cheap, it's generally way better than FSA or Sysco brand poo poo, and it keeps for a good while.

Of course, average America pizza customer will punch you in the face if you have the gall to charge for ranch.

So I hate to come in, ignorant and all, but I gotta question, I have always wanted to become a professional baker, not a pastry chef, but an actual honest to goodness baker, what would be a good career path for that and recommendations on how to get started in that line of business?

Try picking up dishpit or prep shifts at a restaurant. The hours are more reasonable and the money is about the same, plus there are more options for advancement. Liquid Communism would be a better person to listen to about this, but most of his posts from when he was working in a bakery were along the lines of "I have the worst job please kill me." just sayin

Radio Help fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 9, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Who the hell dips pizza in loving ranch? I've been all over this great land of ours, and I've only seen like one person do that ever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Safety Dance posted:

Who the hell dips pizza in loving ranch? I've been all over this great land of ours, and I've only seen like one person do that ever.

Quite a few people unfortunately. I guess I can sort of see it if you're eating terrible cardboard pizza and want it to taste like something, but I live in CT so I just get ridiculously good and cheap pizza from any of the many good pizzerias in the area.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I dip horrible pizza in Frank's all the time.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Don't buy or make pizza that requires any condiments, jesus christ.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Some people aren't total monsters and use the condiments for dipping the crusts, and I don't blame them when so much pizza crust is merely an edible sauce, meat and cheese vehicle.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pile of Kittens posted:

Seems like the food industry isn't just thankless, but that you get straight up "gently caress you your work is poo poo" signals from clients on a regular basis.

For all of you considering going into IT, be aware that it is largely the same situation there. If everything is going well, probably because you and your team are working your butts off to deal with problems before they become catastrophes, clients and normal users barely even know you exist. Meanwhile executives bitch and moan because your department is costing them money and you don't bring any in yourself*, and "they don't even do anything!"

When a catastrophe does happen (and it will!), oh man does the blame come flying. Meeting after meeting to find out "what went wrong" (read: who to blame so their head can be handed to them) and either massive overreaction and spending money unnecessarily, or resuming the ostrich strategy that led to the catastrophe in the first place.

That's not to say it's not worth doing. Solving the problems of technology can be really satisfying for its own sake, and based purely on what I've read in this thread it's likely much better money for your time and effort, even in relatively junior positions. Just don't expect your efforts to be appreciated by most of the people outside your department.

*You know, ignoring the fact that you enable them to operate on a scale they would never be able to achieve without computers and knowledgeable people to maintain them.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Che Delilas posted:

For all of you considering going into IT, be aware that it is largely the same situation there. If everything is going well, probably because you and your team are working your butts off to deal with problems before they become catastrophes, clients and normal users barely even know you exist. Meanwhile executives bitch and moan because your department is costing them money and you don't bring any in yourself*, and "they don't even do anything!"

When a catastrophe does happen (and it will!), oh man does the blame come flying. Meeting after meeting to find out "what went wrong" (read: who to blame so their head can be handed to them) and either massive overreaction and spending money unnecessarily, or resuming the ostrich strategy that led to the catastrophe in the first place.

That's not to say it's not worth doing. Solving the problems of technology can be really satisfying for its own sake, and based purely on what I've read in this thread it's likely much better money for your time and effort, even in relatively junior positions. Just don't expect your efforts to be appreciated by most of the people outside your department.

*You know, ignoring the fact that you enable them to operate on a scale they would never be able to achieve without computers and knowledgeable people to maintain them.

I was studying for a career in IT in high school because I thought "I enjoy working with computers" but I quickly realized it was actually "I enjoy working with my computers and I don't mind helping friends and family with their problems but strangers? gently caress em."

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Safety Dance posted:

An overwhelming majority of American pizza consumers. I'm not endorsing it, I just know how to profit off of it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Republicans posted:

I was studying for a career in IT in high school because I thought "I enjoy working with computers" but I quickly realized it was actually "I enjoy working with my computers and I don't mind helping friends and family with their problems but strangers? gently caress em."

I left my IT career when I was in a director position making almost 6 figures because I couldn't handle every day being a disaster and every client being pissed all the time. After a decade of it I had had enough. I would rather watch some fat idiot dip their pizza in ranch then listen to one more client bitch at me that his printers aren't working when IM NOT THE loving PRINTER VENDOR YOU COCKBAG!

Anyway gently caress IT. I would rather make food.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Radio Help posted:

An overwhelming majority of American pizza consumers. I'm not endorsing it, I just know how to profit off of it.

Stuffed Crust Pizza now with ranch instead of cheese? And the sauce is ranch now too?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I left my IT career when I was in a director position making almost 6 figures because I couldn't handle every day being a disaster and every client being pissed all the time. After a decade of it I had had enough. I would rather watch some fat idiot dip their pizza in ranch then listen to one more client bitch at me that his printers aren't working when IM NOT THE loving PRINTER VENDOR YOU COCKBAG!

So you're willing to put up with bitchy customers during worse hours, for less money with the same annoying complaints?

Huh.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Stuffed Crust Pizza now with ranch instead of cheese? And the sauce is ranch now too?

The ranch would get all liquidy and leak out, now on the other hand if you filled the crust with ranch flavored mozzarella and did the ranch sauce, or maybe mayo sauce, I could see that being a hit! Maybe you could also offer it deep fried? On a stick?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The ranch would get all liquidy and leak out, now on the other hand if you filled the crust with ranch flavored mozzarella and did the ranch sauce, or maybe mayo sauce, I could see that being a hit! Maybe you could also offer it deep fried? On a stick?

Maybe roll the mozzarella in ranch dressing? I know that some of the chains offer a white sauce that is pretty much ranch dressing instead of tomato sauce.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Doing IT work for restaurants is the best.

The credit card machine is down! Why is it down?

Oh...

Let's take a look downstairs in the 'chef's office'.

Why are there pieces of the ceiling missing!?

This doesn't look good...

Maybe the problem is here?

gently caress this, I'm calling the phone company.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Stuff the crust of your eight-meats alfredo pizza with ranch seasoned hollendaise that sets in baking, serve with a complimentary side shot of bacon aioli and a business card with the phone #'s of at least three reputable local cardiologists.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
for gently caress's sake america can you stop being gross for two minutes

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Illinois Smith posted:

for gently caress's sake america can you stop being gross for two minutes

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

This prompted me to see if Jones was bringing back the Holiday Pack and no, they aren't. :(

But they did bring back Crushed Melon. :neckbeard:

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
gently caress it if being sick isn't a crime nowadays and the punishment be discontinuation of further paycheques from that establishment! An old chef brings up full-time employment options every now and again though and I know I should stay in school, but I am a vain man and after 7 years of food service keeping me relatively in check, I've gained 20 pounds in like no time at all. I'm extremely dumb and all I have is a good body and a winning smile and I don't want to lose that! But I no longer have the workouts of running around an extremely hot kitchen and even in the short dish pit stint I felt my body become soft! Is this a normal part of leaving the industry?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Melt it in beer and methyl cellulose so that it's solid when hot but melts as it cools down.

Maybe roll the mozzarella in ranch dressing? I know that some of the chains offer a white sauce that is pretty much ranch dressing instead of tomato sauce.

Batter it in ranch dressing powder and cornstarch and deep fry it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

It really needs to be on a stick, people love those sticks, like this!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Simoom posted:

gently caress it if being sick isn't a crime nowadays and the punishment be discontinuation of further paycheques from that establishment! An old chef brings up full-time employment options every now and again though and I know I should stay in school, but I am a vain man and after 7 years of food service keeping me relatively in check, I've gained 20 pounds in like no time at all. I'm extremely dumb and all I have is a good body and a winning smile and I don't want to lose that! But I no longer have the workouts of running around an extremely hot kitchen and even in the short dish pit stint I felt my body become soft! Is this a normal part of leaving the industry?

It's normal for leaving any job where you're actively working as opposed to riding a desk. Same thing happened to me when I got out from behind the bar and started working from home. Gotta supplement that exercise somehow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It really needs to be on a stick, people love those sticks, like this!

Raw egg leaking out of a discarded Fleshlight.

Rollie Vertical Grill gently smoking on the counter, it's "ready" light twinkling.

The bachelor is making an unexpected hospital visit this morning.

• Locked thread