Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

amazon should just buy BB and turn it into a showroom that only sells mail order. Its basically that already.

I dunno. In an attempt to not lose sales to Amazon they'll price match them. So it's basically a physical Amazon store already. And Newegg they match them too. Man did my manager get pissed when I price matched Newegg for a new graphics card because it was cheaper than with my employee discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

amazon should just buy BB and turn it into a showroom that only sells mail order. Its basically that already.

Future Shop (owned by best buy and basically the same thing) tried something similar near me and quickly reversed it back into a regular big box store. It must have failed spectacularly.

Although not owned by Amazon of course.

quote:

Future Shop, Canadas largest retailer and etailer of consumer electronics, is pleased to announce the opening of Futureshop.ca, its first small format store filled with the latest tech-forward products on Friday, November 2, 2012 in North Vancouver, BC. The 5,000 sq. ft. store footprint is about one fifth the size of a typical Future Shop (27,000 sq. ft.), and it offers an array of the latest cutting-edge technology with a transactional experience unmatched by any other retailer in Canada.

We are pleased to invite customers in the lower mainland to experience our incredible multi-channel retail storefront, combining the strengths of our knowledgeable Product Experts and brick-and-mortar stores, with our robust eCommerce and mCommerce offerings, said Sanath Munasinghe, Vice President of Store Design, Construction and Properties, Future Shop. Not only can customers purchase our top selling products in-store, they can order line extensions and our expanded assortment, such as baby care, tools, furniture and luggage with the convenience of shipping to a preferred address, or next day pickup.

Future Shops Futureshop.ca store offers an exciting new way to shop, creating a seamless experience between in-person and online shopping. It also provides a connected environment inviting customers to touch, feel and play with the best selection of the latest technology.

The store is stocked with 1,000 of the top-selling products at Future Shop. More than a dozen tablets and desktop computers are placed throughout the store giving customers access to a deep catalogue of nearly 60,000 skus offered online. Every Product Expert (PE) within the store is equipped with a tablet to assist customers with their purchases, including sharing demonstrations and price comparison shopping, all from the palm of their hands.

Our Futureshop.ca stores Product Experts are crossed-trained, meaning they are knowledgeable in every department of the store with flexibility to help customers from one department to the next, said Munasinghe. We know customers will love this personalized shopping experience, surrounded in Canadas most connected retail environment.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/pres...a037d7ec19cen08

Back in the 80s/early 90s I used to order stuff out of a magazine from Consumers Distributing and pick it up in store. loving loved those magazines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumers_Distributing

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Best Buy killed Circuit City, and Circuit City killed Service Merchandise, which was a catalog showroom store and pretty much exactly this thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

kitten smoothie posted:

Best Buy killed Circuit City, and Circuit City killed Service Merchandise, which was a catalog showroom store and pretty much exactly this thing.
Holy poo poo I miss Service Merchandise. I thought that place was so cool as a kid.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mango sentinel posted:

Holy poo poo I miss Service Merchandise. I thought that place was so cool as a kid.

In TN there is still a Service jewerly and repair which grew out of Service Merchandise when they went out of business. Even uses a very similar logo.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought Service Merchandise had stock on hand, it was just all in the warehouse.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

smackfu posted:

I thought Service Merchandise had stock on hand, it was just all in the warehouse.

There is a pretty good wiki on the ordering process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Merchandise

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I want a chain where the only thing in the front of the store is a bunch of electronic lockers so I can order online, duck into the store, swipe my card at the right locker, and go. That is what Best Buy's in-store pickup SHOULD be.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

I want a chain where the only thing in the front of the store is a bunch of electronic lockers so I can order online, duck into the store, swipe my card at the right locker, and go. That is what Best Buy's in-store pickup SHOULD be.

Amazon has lockers in front of the grocery store by my house that they will do same day delivery to. No discount but I figure that if same day delivery takes off they will give a significant discount to deliver to the lockers instead of your house.

Folly
May 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Edit: ^Damnit.

Zenwatch goes on sale in the us on the 9th in Best Buy for $199

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/07/asus-zenwatch-goes-on-sale-in-us-starting-november-9-for-199/

This would have been my 2nd choice after the 360. It's also not round, but it still manages to look like a real watch with it's design.

The only detraction I've heard of it thus far is the large face makes the lug to lug distance large which can make it uncomfortable for those with small wrists.

Learn from my mistake. Don't buy an ASUS product from the first batch. Their supply chain is poo poo. Give them at least a couple months to work through the QA issues.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've had the Microsoft band for about a week now and I really love the thing. The only complaint I have is that I wish the battery life were better and that the app displayed more of the data that the band collects.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

MarcusSA posted:

I've had the Microsoft band for about a week now and I really love the thing. The only complaint I have is that I wish the battery life were better and that the app displayed more of the data that the band collects.

Why does it collect data it doesn't show to you (and what does it do with it)? Or is it some 'need to sync to a Windowstm-based device to see all the data because reasons' thing?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Poor battery and doesn't show data it collects

9 out of 10

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

orphean posted:

Why does it collect data it doesn't show to you (and what does it do with it)? Or is it some 'need to sync to a Windowstm-based device to see all the data because reasons' thing?

As of right now it doesn't do anything with that data as far as I know. They are supposed to be updating the app to include the other data that it collects. Its very much a rev 1.0 thing.

Even if they don't update it (they will) I'm super happy with the app and the band. I also like that I can take the workouts that the band monitors and it puts them right into myfitnesspal with out me having to do anything. Microsoft has also said that they plan to support Healtkit in the near future which will also be very nice.

Hell just the fact that I can see the text message notifications with out the need to pull out my phone is pretty drat awesome.

Don Lapre posted:

Poor battery and doesn't show data it collects

9 out of 10

I didn't say poor but ok.

The data that it doesn't show really isn't super relevant to much I'd just like to see it.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I'm glad you're happy with it! I am fairly baffled why Microsoft decided 'mostly finished, just doesn't display data from the sensors the customer is paying for' equated to 'ship it'.

I don't have a ravenous hatred for the company but they've been making some bizarre decisions with their consumer hardware for years now. I don't get it :confused:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

orphean posted:

I'm glad you're happy with it! I am fairly baffled why Microsoft decided 'mostly finished, just doesn't display data from the sensors the customer is paying for' equated to 'ship it'.

I don't have a ravenous hatred for the company but they've been making some bizarre decisions with their consumer hardware for years now. I don't get it :confused:

Yeah the only thing I can think of here is that the hardware side was all done but the software needed some work so they just shipped what they had. Only time will tell if they really are committed to updating everything like they have said. They can't keep the things in stock though so it seems to be selling pretty well.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

MarcusSA posted:

As of right now it doesn't do anything with that data as far as I know. They are supposed to be updating the app to include the other data that it collects. Its very much a rev 1.0 thing.

Even if they don't update it (they will) I'm super happy with the app and the band. I also like that I can take the workouts that the band monitors and it puts them right into myfitnesspal with out me having to do anything. Microsoft has also said that they plan to support Healtkit in the near future which will also be very nice.

Hell just the fact that I can see the text message notifications with out the need to pull out my phone is pretty drat awesome.

I didn't say poor but ok.

The data that it doesn't show really isn't super relevant to much I'd just like to see it.

So MS is supporting health kit? Hm. Well I guess that narrows it down to the Microsoft band, Fitbit charge hr or the apple watch for me

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Do any stores other than official Microsoft ones stock the Band?

Folly
May 26, 2010

orphean posted:

They did this before with the Kinect and it worked pretty well for them, right?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So my Microsoft Band arrived this morning, so I've taken some pictures:

The box

The screen protector, the box and the $5 Starbucks giftcard

Screen protector (which is a pair to put on properly, the instructions is shite)

Giftcard

More of the box

The box is open, showing the band

Instructions

The band

Charging cable

Band being charged and is trying to connect to my phone

Connected - still being charged

And finally on my hairy wrist - didn't move that much at work today...

The size of band is Large, but after 30 minutes or so, you'll end up getting used to wearing it.

So, a very short introduction - feel free to ask any questions.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kidney Stone posted:

Charging cable

To hell with proprietary chargers.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Advice: Put the screen protector on right now. The plastic screen will scratch in milliseconds...

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

To hell with proprietary chargers.

I can on agree on that, would have preferred an ordinary micro USB connection.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

hotsauce posted:

Advice: Put the screen protector on right now. The plastic screen will scratch in milliseconds...

It's already on, took a couple of tries, but looks good now :)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

That charging cable is going to be so easy to replace after microsoft sells dozens of these and cancels it in 6m.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Pro tip for 360 users - the new Pascual watch face is the bomb.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It really is. I like how the blocks change color around the ring depending on appointments. You can tell at a glace what you have going on for 24 hours.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Holy poo poo, I didn't even notice that. Nice fusion from a design / functionality standpoint.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
It's very weird wearing a traditional watch after a 360 ...it feels broken.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm pretty sure Pascual and Classic are the only watch faces that show you your appointments. They should really all do that, it's incredibly useful.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nthalp posted:

It's very weird wearing a traditional watch after a 360 ...it feels broken.

Seriously. I had the 360 for a week and after every time my phone dings now I look at my empty wrist.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Seriously. I had the 360 for a week and after every time my phone dings now I look at my empty wrist.

and ghost wrist vibrations. Just tapping on my raymond weil like its gonna do anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

It really is. I like how the blocks change color around the ring depending on appointments. You can tell at a glace what you have going on for 24 hours.

This is literally the only thing I wanted from a smartwatch, so it was very weird not to see a single decent implementation initially, but that looks great finally.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
The Pascal face looks good, I just wish the numbers were a little bigger.
I really liked the 360 when I first got it, and the improved battery life and new watch faces have made it even better.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Folly posted:

Learn from my mistake. Don't buy an ASUS product from the first batch. Their supply chain is poo poo. Give them at least a couple months to work through the QA issues.

Holy crap listen to this man(or woman). I've had a ton of problems from multiple early production ASUS tablets and notebooks. It's taken me several years but I'm finally not buying early ASUS stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sneak peak of Lollipop Android Wear

http://phandroid.com/2014/11/11/android-wear-5-0-lollipop-features-revealed-smartwatch/

Highlights include

Watch Face API
Undo when swiping cards away
Watch faces have access to weather info directly and can display it
Theater mode and sunlight mode from the pulldown settings screen to quickly adapt brightness for the surroundings (for all the plebes that don't have an ambient light sensor :D)

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

bull3964 posted:

Theater mode and sunlight mode from the pulldown settings screen to quickly adapt brightness for the surroundings (for all the plebes that don't have an ambient light sensor :D)

Yes! I was at a concert/art thing (http://dbfestival.com/db2014/optical/4-static-memory ) and during some of the quieter parts but with lots of flashing lights my 360 would go batshit, had to turn it off. This will be nice.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
How do I read the calendar time blocks on the Pascual 360 face? I'm retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Outer ring is am, inner is pm. Each block is 15 minutes and they are a different color when you have an appointment for that time.