Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Fear Street!

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 10, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

...really? I love this strip when it's on its game, but wow, this is some out-of-touchness.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Allen Wren posted:

...really? I love this strip when it's on its game, but wow, this is some out-of-touchness.

"You have to purchase a penis. I haven't bought one yet because I don't have anyone to use it on."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Allen Wren posted:

This is just so sad.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everything involving Second Life is sad.

Sad, and mildly worrying.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

goatface posted:

Everything involving Second Life is sad.

Sad, and mildly worrying.

Yep. I disagree with the OP: I like this strip because it's so spot-on about the tragicomedy of Second Life.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

When did Emojis become a thing? This is the second time I've seen it in a comic.

First one being this Nedroid comic: http://nedroid.com/2014/08/phone-home/

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

Shoutout to Broadway! I heard the Thing's one man show is amazing.

Juliet Jones

Ha ha. Penisburg. :downs:

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Prince Valiant

That look on Val's face. He loves this poo poo.

Remember how Sunday's Phantom Classic was all gigantic last week? No? Well, it doesn't matter because it didn't last we're back to normal now.

Aww. That big monkey does look friendly. :)

Big Ben Bolt

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait squash cobbler sounds really good.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Suddenly we go all American Beauty :stare:

Allen Wren posted:

I've never wanted someone to be flying-bonered so badly.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

I really like this Rose is Rose. Normally it falls pretty flat, but not as much this time.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
As promised...

Classic Popeye Sunday (c. 1940)

Wimpy just seems to be going through the motions at this point. If they can't see through a Halloween mustache (extra nose or not), why jack up the effort?

Pogo (November 10, 1968)

First-Gen Blondie seems to be an off-the-mark name with two kids and an armload of undrowned puppies. Blondie v1.75? (c. 1943)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I guess telemarketing is not a new thing.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Darthemed posted:

Get bent, Holbrook.

You know when else people could get bent?

In the '70s, when they were disco dancing, as is the plot in today's installment of JOHN DARLING!

When we left off last time, we had just discovered that the network was willing to do all sorts of stupid poo poo in an attempt to boost ratings -- in particular, they were attempting to combine news with disco.

Today's punchline:

the network's attempt to combine news with disco is going poorly.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Now this is surprising. 'Chickweed' is usually known for being the biggest dud on the comics page.

Pibgorn

Zachary Nixon Johnson

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (September 5, 1927)

Peanuts (November 13, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 11-12, 1926)

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Wow, Judge Parker's really got some nice art nowadays. I still don't read it but at least I'll start looking at it. And seeing it side by side with 6 Chickweed Lane... yeeesh.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Cul deSac: Petey drools uncontrollably.
Interestingly, the Otterloops have a fixation on blandness: Mr. Otterloop drives a car whose color is so neutral that it isn't found in nature.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Those words are spelled correctly in One Big Happy, it's the usage that's incorrect. Unless of course, that's what the tattoo recipient wanted in the first place.

Jane's World

:wtf:?

Non Sequitur

Bleh.

11/9 Heavenly Nostrils

He'd better be wearing a fedora if he's using that term.

Kliban

JESUS RADIO! ALL JESUS, ALL THE TIME! :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 11/10/2003

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Cul deSac: Petey drools uncontrollably.
Interestingly, the Otterloops have a fixation on blandness: Mr. Otterloop drives a car whose color is so neutral that it isn't found in nature.

If yer gonna swipe my strip, at least post the big version, geesh.

And here's the rest:

The Creeps just don't have what it takes.

Poptropica

Heathcliff

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There's a poop joke on the horizon.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears finally names this guy.

The Dinette Set tries to get the most for their money.

Working Daze reveals the truth behind texting acronyms.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Jane's World is actually a sister strip to Poptropica. It's advertising the company's other game, STALKER. Scream Comix.

I don't get it, where did Poncho go in the first strip? Did the colourist screw up? He just disappeared.

Ballard Street

Steve should be thankful it wasn't an air cylinder chair. When those things fail, they fail catastrophically. Seriously, don't search for 'office chair accident.' Definitely don't image search it, and especially don't look closely enough at the resulting photo to notice the blood spatter.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I always thought Jane's World would probably be pretty decent if not for the random time jumps, but we haven't had those in a few weeks now I think, and... if anything it's gotten worse.

Someone explain something about Mandrake to me. Do they make a bare-bones first dialogue draft that sets what notes the dialogues has to hit, and just never go beyond that point?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

My Lovely Horse posted:

I always thought Jane's World would probably be pretty decent if not for the random time jumps, but we haven't had those in a few weeks now I think, and... if anything it's gotten worse.

Yeah, I like the art and the characters, but at any given time I have no idea what the goddamn hell is going on anymore. I think BlankIsBeautiful mentioned earlier that these are pages pulled from a graphic novel, so maybe it works better reading it all in one go, but it's still pretty drat twisty.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
They're in Sedona, AZ, which bases some of its tourist trade on the idea that there are "energy vortexes" out in the desert with mysteeeerious spiritual powers.

The whole town kind of plays to that market. Last time I visited, the bulletin board in a supermarket had three different flyers advertising the services of local mediums. One would channel a dead alien for you.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Johnny Aztec posted:

When did Emojis become a thing? This is the second time I've seen it in a comic.

First one being this Nedroid comic: http://nedroid.com/2014/08/phone-home/

Conan also had a bit about emojiis on TV some weeks ago. I only started hearing about them this year. I guess it became a thing when ascii symbols were no longer enough to cover the complexities of life. Such as 🍕 🍕

My home computer has Windows Vista, which doesn't support emoji. 😢

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Goddamnit do not introduce another time traveling lesbian when the first one still hasn't been explained :argh:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

File this one in the boring category.

Go to grad school and it'll kindle that feeling of being ecstatic just to learn you didn't do something really stupid every time your research works out, all by age 25.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 11/10/2003

Etymonline.com posted:

czar (n.)
1550s, from Russian tsar, from Old Slavic tsesari, from Gothic kaisar, from Greek kaisar, from Latin Caesar. First adopted by Russian emperor Ivan IV, 1547.
The spelling with cz- is against the usage of all Slavonic languages; the word was so spelt by Herberstein, Rerum Moscovit. Commentarii, 1549, the chief early source of knowledge as to Russia in Western Europe, whence it passed into the Western Languages generally; in some of these it is now old-fashioned; the usual Ger. form is now zar; French adopted tsar during the 19th c. This also became frequent in English towards the end of that century, having been adopted by the Times newspaper as the most suitable English spelling. [OED]

Etymonline.com posted:

tsar (n.)
1660s, the more correct Latinization of Russian czar, from prehistoric Slavic *tsesar, from a Germanic source, ultimately from Latin Caesar. See czar. Related: Tsardom; tsarevich; tsarina; tsarevna.

There's room for argument there, but no mystery, Brooke, and you have no excuse to write that in 2003 when it would've been trivial to find that out. :colbert:

Also if I've taught one person today that Julius Caesar's last name is the origin of Kaizer Wilhelm II's title and both should theoretically be pronounced as the latter, I feel accomplished. Not to mention the Russians use Tsar while the Germans used Kaizer into the 20th century, because both cultures considered themselves the rightful successors to Rome, as did pretty well every other culture in Europe and some in the Middle East (fun fact: The Roman Empire could be argued to have fallen in either 1481 when the last ruler with any sort of legitimate claim [who cared] on the title of Emperor of Rome died, or in 1918 when the empire he created dissolved. It makes just as much sense as any date you could pick before then!).

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Are they going to get turned into furries again?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

So did they make this strip because they hadn't heard the recent news item... or because they had? Frankly, both possibilities are pretty disturbing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

LtStorm posted:

Also if I've taught one person today that Julius Caesar's last name is the origin of Kaizer Wilhelm II's title and both should theoretically be pronounced as the latter, I feel accomplished.
And the Julius is pronounced 'yoo-lius', right?

Bloom County

"[W]hile working for then Vice President George H. W. Bush, [Peggy] Noonan coined the phrase 'a kinder, gentler nation' and also popularized 'a thousand points of light,' two memorable catchphrases used by Bush. Noonan also wrote the speech in which Bush pledged: 'Read my lips: no new taxes[.]'"

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's provides some soul-piercing avatar fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Darthemed posted:

And the Julius is pronounced 'yoo-lius', right?

As long as I can still get one in orange, I don't care how it's pronounced.

• Locked thread