Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I know you're a super elite raider but us regular plebeians can have trouble sometimes if they way outgear us.

If you're curious, outgearing is when someone has better gear than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

fadam posted:

That's kind of weird. Seems like a missed opportunity to have a "Knight" class or whatever.

There's already a "Knight" class in a way, that's what Paladin is called in Japan.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Huh, that is an actual thing? When did he say that? Or am I thick and this is a joke post?

It's probably not what you think. It's likely that you'd remove a lot of the base classes that serve no purpose as it stands right now and replace them with their final destinations. ie:

Archer -> Bard
Pugilist -> Monk
Marauder -> Warrior
Gladiator -> Paladin
Rogue -> Ninja
Thaumaturge -> Black Mage
Conjurer -> White Mage

Basically, only Arcanist achieved the 1.0 dream of a base class splitting off into different jobs. The job system also means they can't do a coherent 1-50 story on a class level. All the class quests just kind of end at 30 and then you start a new one that is probably not as good generally. I'd have loved for Arcanist to continue to 50 rather than Scholar's, for instance.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Chairman posted:

I haven't tried myself to be sure, but I believe the trial requires you to download a separate client from the trial promotion page -- if you already have the Steam client installed, you're ineligible to sign up for the trial.

The actual trial is on Steam now, which should (should!) give you the client as well: http://store.steampowered.com/app/312060/

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah I know you're a super elite raider but us regular plebeians can have trouble sometimes if they way outgear us.

If you're curious, outgearing is when someone has better gear than you.

Then that's an issue with outgearing, not PLD or WAR. It'd also be the BLMs fault for not using Quelling when needed. I've had plenty of lesser geared tanks in experts and they held threat fine against me except maybe on some trash packs where I just went ham without Quelling being up.

Use strength jewelry, push your buttons, tell DPS to use threat reducing moves if they have them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It may entirely be possible they'll just cut their losses and just continue to have the old classes but only add pure jobs in the future, upgrading server capacity and accepting classes as legacy dead weight. Either that or they have to revamp literally every class/job quest in 3.0 which sounds like a pain unless you walk into each guild already a Ninja/Monk/Paladin or whatever.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I forgot to mention how stupid weapon requirements end up being when you have things like ACN/SMN/SCH in the mix.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They wouldn't have bothered making Rogue if they were just going to get rid of it in 6 months.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/203083-Garuda-1.0

Our semi-weekly 1.0 nostalgia thread has arrived!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
e:nvm

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 10, 2014

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

fount of knowledge posted:

:huh: I can't imagine the person who doesn't mind dropping fat stacks on a Supra but turns their nose up at some easy guaranteed-success melding.

Edit: ahaha, the emoticon I was thinking of was :confused: not...that one.

Chances are there will eventually be a Waterside Exploration XVI in 2.5 that will require it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fount of knowledge posted:

:huh: I can't imagine the person who doesn't mind dropping fat stacks on a Supra but turns their nose up at some easy guaranteed-success melding.

Edit: ahaha, the emoticon I was thinking of was :confused: not...that one.

Why catch 20 HQ Silver Sovereigns when you can catch 3 Olgois!?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Verranicus posted:

My post has the most likes, haha.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

kirbysuperstar posted:

The actual trial is on Steam now, which should (should!) give you the client as well: http://store.steampowered.com/app/312060/

Hmm, if I install the free trial can I just login with my account or will it only let new accounts use that?

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Verranicus posted:

It looks like a chinese knockoff of the Garuda encounter in ARR.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Every time I watch something in 1.0 it feels like it's moving in slow motion compared to the current game.

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER

Happy birthday, Jerry. One more to go! I'm so proud of you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Verranicus posted:

quote:

Some people actually liked 1.0 and the really involved combat.

This judging and assuming really needs to stop.

Hahah really involved. I guess the entire party, not just BLMs, standing still and looking bored the entire time is pretty involved.

Fuckin' :laffo: at judging though.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Is there an online collection of pics of as many furniture items as possible? I'd like to preview how furnishings look without spending thousands of gil or typing each item into google one at a time.

edit: I suppose xivdb works, but still, any other places?

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 10, 2014

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I don't even get what that is supposed to mean? Is that like saying "by disagreeing with my :saddowns: you are being mean/hostile"?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Eight-Six posted:

Is there an online collection of pics of as many furniture items as possible? I'd like to preview how furnishings look without spending thousands of gil or typing each item into google one at a time.

edit: I suppose xivdb works, but still, any other places?

Yes!

I wish someone did this kind of site for armor sets.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I don't even get what that is supposed to mean? Is that like saying "by disagreeing with my :saddowns: you are being mean/hostile"?

Yeah, more or less. People are weirdly defensive of lovely games.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think it would bother me less if it was an actual decent sized group of people calling for a return to 1.0 instead of the 10-15 repeat posters that just echo the same poo poo to each other that we have.

And they're all so loving smug about it.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Why do the 1.0 fanatics think nobody else bothered to play it? That Garuda video is giving me oldschool Everquest raid vibes in all the worst ways.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Has there been any studies about stockholm syndrome happening in events where its not a person who captures and imprisons another, but a person who has had a bad experience and they sympathize with it?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eej posted:

It may entirely be possible they'll just cut their losses and just continue to have the old classes but only add pure jobs in the future, upgrading server capacity and accepting classes as legacy dead weight. Either that or they have to revamp literally every class/job quest in 3.0 which sounds like a pain unless you walk into each guild already a Ninja/Monk/Paladin or whatever.

It would be cool if they did revamp the class/job quests in 3.0, and 2.0 players became effectively pseudo-Legacy players. A Summoner's/White Mage's guild was established, but the dialogue reflects that you were one of/the first to uncover those old magics if you're a 2.0 player. That kind of thing.

Leal posted:

Has there been any studies about stockholm syndrome happening in events where its not a person who captures and imprisons another, but a person who has had a bad experience and they sympathize with it?

I think what's going on with stuff like FF14 1.0 is you have people that are so personally invested in something being good, they WANT it to be good so bad that they find reasons to convince themselves it is, even if it's blatantly awful.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

I think it's more a case of addiction than anything. Addiction to something terrible.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Oblivious posted:

It would be cool if they did revamp the class/job quests in 3.0, and 2.0 players became effectively pseudo-Legacy players. A Summoner's/White Mage's guild was established, but the dialogue reflects that you were one of/the first to uncover those old magics if you're a 2.0 player. That kind of thing.

This would actually be pretty cool and also makes sense for most jobs. Scholar's storyline is rediscovering the job entirely, Paladin involves opening training to more Free Paladins, Warrior is about one dude coming from the Warrior Village etc.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

YamataNoOrochi posted:

Then you should be able to use one. You'll get a XP booster hat that works up to level 25, whoever provides the code you use gets that and a 2-person chocobo if you subscribe for 90 days. I'd toss you one, but I've already got the rewards. I think there was a list of unused ones a few pages back though.

Will this work from one service account to another? Gf just got the game onps4 and is on one of my other service accounts. If it does it'd rule

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, for the goon companies that ask you to apply at a housing plot, what am I looking for? Is someone supposed to be there?

I am at the Midgardsormr guild house and it is not obvious what I am supposed to do.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

Post Thancred cosplay, tia.

There's a bunch of little things that aren't quite right, and among them, I'm not about to use a Fantasia just so I can change my eye color.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Ugh i hate 1.0 it was (is) so bad!!!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, for the goon companies that ask you to apply at a housing plot, what am I looking for? Is someone supposed to be there?

I am at the Midgardsormr guild house and it is not obvious what I am supposed to do.

I haven't tried this method myself, but I think the process for joining a guild at a house is:

- Find house of guild you want to join
- Go there, but not inside the house proper
- Look outside of the fence for a "placard"
- Click on that and you should get the option to join

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Varance posted:

I think it's more a case of addiction than anything. Addiction to something terrible.

People are also really lovely at knowing why they like something, and often don't accept "because you did a social thing with your friends" as an explanation for enjoying something bad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hm. What's the reason for just specifically Balmung and Excalibur going down?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HelloPlatypus posted:

I want to lend you my Chocobo for a little while so it gets levelled up.

Incidentally, what's the quickest way to get it from close to Rank 6 to 10? I want that WHM barding for it, but it takes a very long, long time with natural gameplay. Spirit Bonding group?

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER

Aurain posted:

Incidentally, what's the quickest way to get it from close to Rank 6 to 10? I want that WHM barding for it, but it takes a very long, long time with natural gameplay. Spirit Bonding group?

Buy a shitton of Krakka roots and then feed it every hour is all I do, plus weekly challenge logs. Also getting a friend to help you lets you train it a second time every hour.

If I spiritbond I make sure to get him out of the stables, but otherwise I just leave him there so he doesn't eat the 1 hour cooldown before other people are allowed to feed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ah right, I've been doing that so I'll keep at it. I'll see if I can get someone to help me out with the training too. Thanks!

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

HelloPlatypus posted:

/stroke /stroke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Leal posted:

I said a while ago but a lot of those posters have not even played 1.0, they just have a problem/bad experience with the current game (prob cause they're bad) and they get roped in by the promise of a shining paradise where their mostly self-inflicted problems cease to exist by the handful of mentally ill people who continue to engage in revisionism.

• Locked thread