Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
To be fair, they fudge the scale on a lot of kits. I mean, that's why MG Turn A's seated pilot is so much smaller than their standing one and why the HGFC God Gundam is about the size of some of my Unicorn HGUC kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, but it's an extra $40-50 and frankly I don't want to pay the extra in addition to which I don't have enough MGs with weapons I don't like that much to replace with the Full Armor pieces.

Right now it's about a ten dollar difference on Amazon. MG FA Unicorn vKa 2.0 Build Custom Amazing is 82 dollars to the regular MG Unicorn vKa's 70.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I actually went and crunched the numbers, and at 1/144 scale the difference in height between the WZ and the Wing is small enough to be insignificant. Proto Zero is totally busted, but hey that's what happens when you reuse inner frames.

The standing pilot figure for the MG Turn A is pretty explicitly not 1/100 though. Just compare it to the cow.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually went and crunched the numbers, and at 1/144 scale the difference in height between the WZ and the W is small enough to be insignificant. Proto Zero is totally busted though, but hey that's what happens when you reuse inner frames.

The standing pilot figure for the MG Turn A is pretty explicitly not 1/100 though. Just compare it to the cow.

The cow should be small enough to fit into the Turn A's chest without having to remove panels like you have to on the MG and the seated pilot is absolutely tiny. The real issue is that nothing about it is correct scale and it was animated to be much bigger than the official height.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just ordered that 80 dollar FA Unicorn vKa fuuuuuck

Fuuuuuuuuck

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally The Worst posted:

I just ordered that 80 dollar FA Unicorn vKa fuuuuuck

Fuuuuuuuuck

lol u so wacky

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

lol u so wacky

I really shouldn't have ordered it but it's literally fifty dollars off and I want that green frame dammit.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

BlitzBlast posted:

Model paint is really thin. You should just be able to prime over it with gloss black and continue on your way.

Thank god. I thought I was hosed.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thank god. I thought I was hosed.

Nah, you good. Well, depending on how tight the frame pieces fit. One coat silver, some small number of coats of clear green and you should be fine. You don't want to use chrome unless you want to put gloss black down under it, and since you already painted, you really don't need to prime under the silver.

If THAT doesn't work, you will need to strip the paint off. Simple Green *might* work, that purple stuff might as well, and brake fluid might be worth a try if nothing else does the trick. At least, it strips off chromed "special" coatings really well.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I really do love all the custom Grimoires coming out:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
i can't unsee a big red ninja turtle

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Behold, my very first Gunpla:

Filing down the nubs from the sprues wasn't quite as effective as I'd hoped, but everything else seems to have worked out pretty well. Even panel-lined it with a mechanical pencil, though it's quite faint.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Now buy a neo zeong.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Broken Loose posted:

i can't unsee a big red ninja turtle

Here's one that's decidedly less turtle-like:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are there actually any good, solid transformable kits, or does 'transformable' automatically equal 'floppy, fragile piece of crap'?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Are there actually any good, solid transformable kits, or does 'transformable' automatically equal 'floppy, fragile piece of crap'?

I really hope the first legitimate response to this is "Psyco Gundam."

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
macross frontier has the best transforming kits.

the major moving parts are metal and very smooth

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

High Grades have decent stability, but at the same time they aren't technically transformable kits, they're partsformers.

Anyways, as for real transformable kits, the Wing is probably one of the best since there's not that much machinery behind the transformation, it's just shift the arms and legs a bit and stick its shield on its head. Not to say that it's perfect since it just has the worst time doing anything remotely dynamic with the buster rifle.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

wing gundam, proto zero and epyon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I resisted as long as I could, but Build Fighters has claimed final victory over me. I just ordered a few kits and some basic tools, and my journey down the dark path of plastic crack has begun. How many more souls must you claim before you are satisfied, Bandai and Sunrise?

For reference, I ordered the HG kits for Wing Fenice, Zaku Amazing, and Destiny.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I actually bought my first kit in five or six years (MG Zaku 2.0) a month or so before watching Build Fighters.

Then, of course, after it was over, I ordered some HGs I never would have even considered beforehand. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

chumbler posted:

I resisted as long as I could, but Build Fighters has claimed final victory over me. I just ordered a few kits and some basic tools, and my journey down the dark path of plastic crack has begun. How many more souls must you claim before you are satisfied, Bandai and Sunrise?

For reference, I ordered the HG kits for Wing Fenice, Zaku Amazing, and Destiny.

You should get the Gouf R35 too, it's a new mold so the kit is really nicely engineered and fun to build.

Plus just look at this cover art:

That awesome pose, that menacing eye! Every time I look I can hear the twong! sound of it looking at me. :allears:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You should get the Gouf R35 too, it's a new mold so the kit is really nicely engineered and fun to build.

Plus just look at this cover art:

That awesome pose, that menacing eye! Every time I look I can hear the twong! sound of it looking at me. :allears:

They've gone balls out making sure to showcase Mr Rals Gouf every time they can in BFT and its great.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Now that's a gouf I could see buying

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Darth Walrus posted:

Behold, my very first Gunpla:

Filing down the nubs from the sprues wasn't quite as effective as I'd hoped, but everything else seems to have worked out pretty well. Even panel-lined it with a mechanical pencil, though it's quite faint.

That's pretty nice, your sanding only really shows on those two things in the middle. It all comes down to practice, I've tried alot of different sanding techniques over a few models. Still haven't had the courage to fully panel line or apply "all" of the decals.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Does anyone have that picture of the hi-nu where the guy kept adding funnels until they wrapped nearly the full way back around? I can't for the life of me find it again and I want to show it to a friend.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

chumbler posted:

Does anyone have that picture of the hi-nu where the guy kept adding funnels until they wrapped nearly the full way back around? I can't for the life of me find it again and I want to show it to a friend.

You may be thinking of the regular Nu Gundam, since the Hi Nu has a different funnel mount that doesn't lend to mounting more funnels on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So does anyone have any advice/guides for a first time painter? Trying to make this picture into a real gunpla.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Now that's a movie worthly upgrade to a main character!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They've gone balls out making sure to showcase Mr Rals Gouf every time they can in BFT and its great.

Rals to the Wall

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
edit: I'm dumb.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

chumbler posted:

Build Fighters has also destroyed my last fortresses. I sent for HGBF Gouf R35, GM Cardigan, Mao Crossbones, Burning gundam and a bunch of tools that I don't have. All I need now is a reliable vallejo paints vendor that ships internationally.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
All you all need is the Neo Zeong.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Now buy a neo zeong.

All you all need is the Neo Zeong.

Just because you have buyer's remorse doesn't mean you're allowed to try and stick that on the rest of us.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have spent a ton of money on plastic, but I can comfortably say I never wasted it on something terrible like a neo zeong. Even the dendrobium seems better since its not 50% hollow space.

would you rather have 1 neo zeong or 20 HG kits? Zeong only makes sense at a sub $150 pricepoint

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 10, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So does anyone have any advice/guides for a first time painter? Trying to make this picture into a real gunpla.

Let's see, that's the Shining's head/arms on the F91's chest on the the DX's bottom half with a different thruster on the dick, right? First things first you'll have to actually check if the F91's torso even looks alright on the DX's body. Luckily for you I actually have both, so let me just snap them together real fast and see.

It looks... alright, I guess? That odd black bit in the center of your lineart is presumably supposed to be the white piece on that connects the DX's torso to the waist, but that's incompatible with the F91.

As is, the connection between the the waist and the torso is a little weird from up close but serviceable from afar.

As for actual painting, you're lucky enough that all of the orange bits are actually separate pieces. Grab a spraycan of orange and just go nuts. The red, though, will actually require some detail work, so look up the handpainting posts from a while back. You are again lucky that it won't be very tough, as the HG DX's legs were designed to be easy to paint the details of while the F91's chest is also easy enough to paint. You'll have more trouble with the F91's vulcans and the two toning on the DX's front skirt armor, honestly.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We got hit lightly, he posted it a lot more in every other anime thread. Nice

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU