Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Javid posted:

It lets you log in but you can't do anything in the game.

I checked in Flex also for a patch to disable JB check but no one has created one for it yet. Other apps have patches in Flex so maybe one will pop up there for the game..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Moose-Alini posted:

and they won't let it run on jailbroken phones for fear or gps spoofing I guess.

Yeah that definitely would break Ingress. There are a bunch of GPS spoofing tweaks so you could just wreck poo poo.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Javid posted:

It lets you log in but you can't do anything in the game.

They actually changed that in like the last update. Now you only get this error and can only quit.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Even worse.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On Android, it was standard for a phone to pop up a Windows UAC-esque Allow/Deny dialog when and app attempted root access. Is there anything like that for iOS, or does the way that jailbreaks work not allow for it?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 10, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That's the app we're discussing, tsprotector p. Should be a default thing, imo.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Just noticed a new jailbreak is out. Anything cool lately? Is all the old stuff still compatible with iOS8?

I haven't used a jailbreak in like 2 years, but did enjoy some simple tweaks like Cyntac and the thing that made it look like a TV turning off when you locked it.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Just noticed a new jailbreak is out. Anything cool lately? Is all the old stuff still compatible with iOS8?

I haven't used a jailbreak in like 2 years, but did enjoy some simple tweaks like Cyntac and the thing that made it look like a TV turning off when you locked it.

Honestly, with each new major version of iOS, there is less and less reason to jailbreak for tweaks. Apple is doing a pretty decent job taking design queues from hackers for core functionality.

Ios8 jailbreak is only like a week old, and most tweaks weren't compatible, but the devs are working hard on updates! Progress was kinda slow for a few days but now dozens of tweak updates are being released each day.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

Moose-Alini posted:

I play the game Ingress a whole lot. It's a location based 'augmented reality' (blech) thing, it was just recently released on iOS a few months ago, and they won't let it run on jailbroken phones for fear or gps spoofing I guess. No iap or freemium junk.

I just want to have a jailbroken phone, and play this one game...
theres a thing called Xgress that was posted on circlejerk(readits)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

As long as I am upgraded to iOS 8.1, I can go through the jailbreaking process whenever, correct?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Klungar posted:

As long as I am upgraded to iOS 8.1, I can go through the jailbreaking process whenever, correct?

Correct

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Rabite posted:

theres a thing called Xgress that was posted on circlejerk(readits)

Holy crap! Thanks you! That works on my iPad so it looks like I'll be jailbreaking my phone first thing tomorrow! Much appreciated!

And tsprotector p is due out this week sometime, so good to have options!

Klungar posted:

Yup! I guess the only danger is having to restore for some reason and iTunes making you upgrade to restore...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Moose-Alini posted:

Honestly, with each new major version of iOS, there is less and less reason to jailbreak for tweaks. Apple is doing a pretty decent job taking design queues from hackers for core functionality.

Nah even then poo poo like the iOS quick reply/messaging still sucks. Not to mention there's 2-3 things that make jailbreak a must to most. Still funny it took them so long to steal all the jb ideas

Thank you f.lux, virtual home, tage/auxo 2, and swipeselection

And hopefully bitesms soon

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Christoff posted:

Nah even then poo poo like the iOS quick reply/messaging still sucks. Not to mention there's 2-3 things that make jailbreak a must to most. Still funny it took them so long to steal all the jb ideas

Most recent estimate on biteSMS is apparently "months" now.

My current fav tweaks are LittleBrother, TinyBar, BioLockdown, Calendar for Lockscreen, Forecast, and iCaughtU Pro with a few other little things that make the experience better.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Christoff posted:

Yeah after using the quick reply, it works I guess, but not nearly as good as bites me. Like it really annoys me when I am quick responding to a text, then another text comes in and deletes it all.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

spongeworthy posted:

Most recent estimate on biteSMS is apparently "months" now.

My current fav tweaks are LittleBrother, TinyBar, BioLockdown, Calendar for Lockscreen, Forecast, and iCaughtU Pro with a few other little things that make the experience better.

It should be a law if you mention a tweak you have to say what it does. :)

LittleBrother - landscape mode home screen for iphone 6
TinyBar - notifications in status bar
BioLockdown - protect indivudal apps with touchid
Calendar for Lockscreen - I'll give you a pass on this
Forecast - weather on lock screen
iCaughtU Pro - take a picture with the front camera is the passcode is entered incorrectly

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks for these lists. I tried out LittleBrother and I like it simply because it makes me feel like I've got more screen real estate which is always nice. Gonna try out the others soon.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

^ was about to complain too! I didn't add a description but i did the last page

Also I love bitesms/irealsms for the volume up (or whatever you configure it to) to quick send a text no matter what you have open. Very handy

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

Moose-Alini posted:

Holy crap! Thanks you!

I hope you are blue. My Ingress name is the same as my SA user name.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Moose-Alini posted:

There are some games and apps that straight up won't work on a jail broken device, by design. Like error message 'gently caress off jailbreaker' and closes. Tsprotector hides the fact that you are jail broken from these apps.

Xcon also works like this, problem is xcon hasn't really been updated since ios7 came out.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Ah my bad, I always check Cydia when someone mentions a new tweak. I'll add more later

e: I recommend following @CydiaReposNew and @CydiaReposUp on Twitter for regular info on tweaks coming out.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 10, 2014

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Rabite posted:

I hope you are blue. My Ingress name is the same as my SA user name.

Haha yup blue, royaninja

Any suggestions other than bitesms that actually work? I remember their used to be a few, and while the quick reply in stock 8 is an improvement over how ios used to do it, it simply doesn't stand up comparatively.

F.lux is always the first thing I install, but I'm amazed Apple didn't rip that off in 8

My must haves so far for ios8 are DetailedBatteryUsage and NoSlowAnimations.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 10, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I tried flux in the past but it always just felt like the screen was just dim/dingy at night. I'm one of those weirdos that has been conditioned to 100% brightness 24/7 for years now so my brain is basically broken when it comes screen stuff.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
BytaFont 2 is always one of my first installs, currently rocking Bastardus Sans Font.
Activator since I like to set a few features for when I put my phone on the charger, like enabling GPS and switch it off when I unplug.
iFile because I need to kill the shutter sound when I take a picture
iCleaner to keep thing clean
ToneEnabler so I can set my .mp3 tracks for my ringtone and alarm sound.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the name of the old program that was like NoSlowAnimation that people used to use? FakeClockUp or something like that. I think it worked with all animations (including swipes) which NoSlow doesn't seem to work with.

Edit yeah it's FakeClockUp. Gotta add a repo for it though (http://hitoriblog.com/apt). It works with all iOS animations though so I like it better than NSA. Seems to be working fine on iOS 8 so far.

Edit2 I lied its a bit buggy still.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 10, 2014

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Klungar posted:

As long as you updated through usb and not wifi. If you updated on wifi it still might gently caress up. I tried with this jailbreak and it worked, as in my iPhone wasn't stuck in a boot loop, but cydia couldn't do anything without giving me a dpkg error.

And if you mess it up, you're gonna have to restore. Which I think means updating iOS. And then...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I posted my must haves last couple pages but seriously if you don't have swipeselection get it now. Hopefully new Auxo is good.

Moose-Alini posted:

Any suggestions other than bitesms that actually work?

irealsms is the other one but it hasn't been compatible since ios5 or some poo poo. It looks like there's another one on Cydia called messenger+ but yeah not out for ios8

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I tried flux in the past but it always just felt like the screen was just dim/dingy at night. I'm one of those weirdos that has been conditioned to 100% brightness 24/7 for years now so my brain is basically broken when it comes screen stuff.

You can't change the levels like PC but you can change the type of lighting if it matters r

Klowns posted:

ToneEnabler so I can set my .mp3 tracks for my ringtone and alarm sound.

ios7 or 8 finally lets you pick an MP3 for your alarm

-edit springtomize 3 should be out like real soon and is a free upgrade

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 10, 2014

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Christoff posted:

Yep, as others have said, f.lux is a necessity. I can drudge on without other tweaks, but unless I want to never use my phone within an hour of bed time, I need f.lux. And really, the also aforementioned minimum screen brightness tweak is needed too. The stock minimum screen brightness level is just too drat high for a dark room, even with f.lux.

These two tweaks are also very unlikely to become stock iOS features. I guess they could add them in the accessibility section, but I doubt it will happen.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Yep, as others have said, f.lux is a necessity. I can drudge on without other tweaks, but unless I want to never use my phone within an hour of bed time, I need f.lux. And really, the also aforementioned minimum screen brightness tweak is needed too. The stock minimum screen brightness level is just too drat high for a dark room, even with f.lux.

These two tweaks are also very unlikely to become stock iOS features. I guess they could add them in the accessibility section, but I doubt it will happen.

No JB tweak needed.

http://www.imore.com/dim-your-screen-further-control-center-allows-and-other-cool-ios-8-tricks

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Why not with flux? They make tvs and monitors with the same feature, it's not exactly super obscure, and seems an easy option to add.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Want to make sure the "rules" are still the same as the last time I did this.. I'm currently running a jailbroken 5S on 7.1.2 and want to upgrade to 8.1 and re-jailbreak.

I *think* what I want to do is the following:
- Backup to iTunes
- "Restore iPhone..." to 8.1
- Jailbreak
- "Restore Backup..."

Is that the long and short of it?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
I would just do this:

- Backup to iTunes
- "Update" using iTunes
- Jailbreak

OTA updates (i.e. on the phone, not through iTunes) can cause problems with the jailbreak, but I've never had any issues after updating using iTunes.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

devilmouse posted:

Want to make sure the "rules" are still the same as the last time I did this.. I'm currently running a jailbroken 5S on 7.1.2 and want to upgrade to 8.1 and re-jailbreak.

I *think* what I want to do is the following:
- Backup to iTunes
- "Restore iPhone..." to 8.1
- Jailbreak
- "Restore Backup..."

Is that the long and short of it?

Don't forget to turn off pin codes and find my iPhone before ya hit that jailbreak button

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
The alpha of tsprotector 8 came out today, and it works well too! It doesn't have the pop ups or settings yet but it does its job.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Thanks! That was easier than I remember it being. A few apps got a little confused during sync'ing, but things seem to have otherwise gone off without a hitch.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

devilmouse posted:

Thanks! That was easier than I remember it being. A few apps got a little confused during sync'ing, but things seem to have otherwise gone off without a hitch.

Yup I finally jailbroke my phone today and the new version of pangu is way smoother and easier than the original Chinese one was that I did my iPad with.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
With this version I never actually had to wipe or restore my backup. I did the ios 8.1 update, ran pangu and was finished. The only thing that changed was the loss of my cydia tweaks - easily fixed.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Even after removing the battery hog Bitcoin Billionaire I'm still finding that lately my phone discharges its battery very quickly. This is a 6+, so it should last well over a day but it's about 20% tonight at 7:30pm. I'm not sure if it's jailbreak related or if it's just that now that there's a detailed battery usage app in my jailbreak that I can see three daemons; backboardd, aggregated and locationd taking up 5% each.

Home and lock screen is 11%, Safari is 15% and AwfulApp is 18% (it's my most-used app for sure.)

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Feenix posted:

Even after removing the battery hog Bitcoin Billionaire I'm still finding that lately my phone discharges its battery very quickly. This is a 6+, so it should last well over a day but it's about 20% tonight at 7:30pm. I'm not sure if it's jailbreak related or if it's just that now that there's a detailed battery usage app in my jailbreak that I can see three daemons; backboardd, aggregated and locationd taking up 5% each.

Home and lock screen is 11%, Safari is 15% and AwfulApp is 18% (it's my most-used app for sure.)

Eh idunno, those numbers look pretty similar to mine... Again, I havnt NOTICED worse battery drain since jailbreaking, maybe took a little hit when updated to ios8. Think some testing may be in line!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Springtomize 3 is out

• Locked thread