Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Marathon ongoing

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/astv/

Currently anatomy park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MrAristocrates posted:

Listen, if you don't love that video I don't wanna know you.

What if I like Professor Layton, too?

Cuz that video was horrible. If it was a series of shorts it could work. But 10+ minutes in a row was just too much at once.

Also, that didn't look like Squanchy.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Waltzing Along posted:

Cuz that video was horrible. If it was a series of shorts it could work. But 10+ minutes in a row was just too much at once.

Your opinion is objectively wrong.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Icelandic Ultra Blue was better, but apparently the full version's been scrubbed from the web.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladinus posted:

This is amazing. And it's totally something that could air in a parallel dimension with the real fake doors advert in the middle.

When the song picked back up and it kept going after the whole machete murderer sequence I pretty much had the same reaction as Rick & Morty when they realized the fake doors commercial was still going on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waltzing Along posted:

Are you looking at my avatar and somehow getting the impression I don't like Professor Layton?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

MrAristocrates posted:

Are you looking at my avatar and somehow getting the impression I don't like Professor Layton?

In the timeline where Travis is the biggest nerd in the world starting a fight over a handheld game

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Too Many Cooks is the most Adult Swim thing. Humor isn't cumulative, guys; You can't repeat a 1/10th funny joke 10x to fix it.

Monkey cheese doesn't get funnier with murder. Sorry. :(

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, I hear ya.

For example, there was hope that we'd see at least a little bit of new Venture Bros. at some point in 2014... but I don't think that's going to happen.

Yeah, but Venture Bros is different. It's an auteur project produced almost entirely by two weird dudes...Oh gently caress, we aren't going to see another Rick & Morty until the next decade, are we?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I don't think Justin is famous enough to hate fame and consider his work to be a trap yet, so we are cool for season 2 and 3, keep an eye out on season 4 however.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just tuned in to the marathon; the close captions are absolutely incredible. Every stutter, every inflection, right where they should be. :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

moths posted:

Monkey cheese doesn't get funnier with murder. Sorry. :(

God drat it, why do goons think every comedy thing they don't like is monkey cheese.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Because goons are obsessed with cheese.

Also Rick and Morty won't be another VB cuz at least Rick and Morty have more writers?

Right? :ohdear:

The only thing we got of VB was the Season 6 preview which was like around august.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there a better descriptor for when zany, OMG TOTALLY RANDOM non sequiturs try too hard?

Just pretend I typed that instead if it helps.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

moths posted:

Is there a better descriptor for when zany, OMG TOTALLY RANDOM non sequiturs try too hard?

Just pretend I typed that instead if it helps.

The problem isn't the term used.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
A non-sequitur isn't the same as monkey cheese hope this helps.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
And non sequiturs aren't what Too Many Cooks was working with, either.

Edit: vvvvvvv Too Many Cooks is about 1) an evolving desconstruction of television show (most specifically 80s) intro tropes, with 2) absurdist junk sprinkled in. The former is very much ideologically in-line with Rick & Morty's driving force, and I think the latter is overshadowing that fact for a group of people in this thread.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 9, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Yes I agree the show where the entire joke is "this is a pretty large cast list, isn't it? Shouldn't they be done by now?" should have been brief and to the point. Knock it out in like thirty seconds and put it in a commercial spot.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

grilldos posted:

And non sequiturs aren't what Too Many Cooks was working with, either.

Edit: vvvvvvv Too Many Cooks is about 1) an evolving desconstruction of television show (most specifically 80s) intro tropes, with 2) absurdist junk sprinkled in. The former is very much ideologically in-line with Rick & Morty's driving force, and I think the latter is overshadowing that fact for a group of people in this thread.

I would argue that both of those parts (evolving deconstruction and absurdist silliness) constitute some longer Rick and Morty jokes, like the pizza/phone/chair sequence. You take a stupid gag and run with it for miles and miles until it develops its own weird logic. It's not as dumb as it looks!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Rixty Minutes, really.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mr.capps posted:

God drat it, why do goons think every comedy thing they don't like is monkey cheese.

Everyone who's cool hates monkeycheese

I don't like [A THING] and want everyone to agree with me

Call it monkeycheese and everyone will agree with me that [A THING] is [BAD] !

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Krinkle posted:

Yes I agree the show where the entire joke is "this is a pretty large cast list, isn't it? Shouldn't they be done by now?" should have been brief and to the point. Knock it out in like thirty seconds and put it in a commercial spot.

Saying that's the entire joke of the short is like saying the fact that Rick is an alcoholic genius is the entire joke of Rick and Morty.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I guess I'm just a dumb baby who doesn't understand how an unfunny thing gets funny when repeated, or how OMG THAT GUY IS A PIE! isn't monkeycheese bullshit. But it did have a healthy dose of "Remember being young in the 90s?" so good job I guess.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I'm really not surprised that the Rick and Morty thread finds it difficult to accept someone not liking something.

I hope Summer's role continues to grow in Season 2, she's the character I expected to get the least attention and now I want to see more of her.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
there are people writing about it on like CNN.com and MomsBlogSpot who realized the joke wasn't lol random or 90s while you didn't, and that is funny too

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Swan Curry posted:

I'm really not surprised that the Rick and Morty thread finds it difficult to accept someone not liking something.

Nobody is having a hard time accepting someone doesn't like something. Its just crazy calling Too Many Cooks, which is extremely structured, "lol random" or "monkey cheese".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Internet Webguy posted:

Saying that's the entire joke of the short is like saying the fact that Rick is an alcoholic genius is the entire joke of Rick and Morty.
"Alcoholic genius and mentally challenged grandson do crazy poo poo" is the premise of Rick and Morty though, just like "this is a really long cast list, man it really should be over by now, ok this is getting ridiculous" is the premise of Too Many Cooks

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Too many goons miss the joke.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Paladinus posted:

:cool:

Too Many Goons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BSam posted:

Too Many Goons.

spoils the thread

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

BSam posted:

Too Many Goons.

:thejoke:

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mr.capps posted:

Nobody is having a hard time accepting someone doesn't like something. Its just crazy calling Too Many Cooks, which is extremely structured, "lol random" or "monkey cheese".

Let's all agree he only watched the first two to three minutes of Too Many Cooks. It obviously starts out as an early 90s Full House (TGIF) style intro parody, but then goes into something wildly dark and different (which is why I assume it's being talked about here since R&M isn't afraid to go dark).

I actually watched it twice just to notice the serial killer stalking the family far before you can fully see him in the cook scene looking at the spices. He's behind the baby!

I honestly thought it was some level of brilliance. If you only watched the opening bit and then turned it off because you thought the gag was repetition or random monkey cheese then you missed 100% out on what was really going on there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched the first minute then was disappointed by the not squanchy cat. I'll give it another shot. I saw most of it flipping through and it just looked like one extended joke.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
God drat that is long and stupid as gently caress. A couple funny bits but just zzz.

Also, that's the Married With Children set. You can tell by the door.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah it's basically three parts:
1) Unfunny poo poo, repeated. Bet you thought we'd stop here?
1b) Look this guy's a pie! There's a puppet cat! Stripper Fireman?! Zany! RANDOM! Not Monkey Cheese at all because somehow that's a loaded term!
2) Remember the 90s? References are jokes now!
3) Zalgo, he is coming.

If it didn't take eleven loving minutes (or if I hadn't been told to watch to the end for a punchline*) I'd probably have liked it more. It's a good 1:30 minute short bloated 10x longer than it needs to be.

(*Spoiler alert: There isn't one.)

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Paladinus posted:

lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, not everyone has the same sense of humor. Oh well.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

moths posted:

Yeah it's basically three parts:
1) Unfunny poo poo, repeated. Bet you thought we'd stop here?
1b) Look this guy's a pie! There's a puppet cat! Stripper Fireman?! Zany! RANDOM! Not Monkey Cheese at all because somehow that's a loaded term!
2) Remember the 90s? References are jokes now!
3) Zalgo, he is coming.

If it didn't take eleven loving minutes (or if I hadn't been told to watch to the end for a punchline*) I'd probably have liked it more. It's a good 1:30 minute short bloated 10x longer than it needs to be.

(*Spoiler alert: There isn't one.)

when i read this post i fall back in my chair and all i can do is say "drat.... this guy knows funny"

most excellent usage of exclamation points to signify exasperated sarcasm, its like you wrote a sitcom in post forum and the exclamation points are the laugh track

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Adult Swim breeds pissy defensive weirdos. I know this now.

CelticPredator posted:

Well, not everyone has the same sense of humor. Oh well.

This is the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

no dude, for real.

like I read that poo poo and you remind me of the teenage girl from 1981 who coined the first joke ending in not. you got skills

• Locked thread