Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

TheBigBad posted:

It doesn't and that's the point.

Thanks for your help. I've already made it clear it wasn't actually an issue.

Just got to Mrs. Lanningham's new car episode.

drat.

e: and went ahead and watched the episode after, the season 2 finale. That's probably one of the better single episodes of TV I've ever seen. The writing, acting, directing hell even the music was great.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Deadpool posted:

Ed and Larry are pretty much the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of West Wing and it makes me sad that we never got an episode about them with poo poo going down around them.
I just finished a rewatch of season 7 and there's a near joke that I'm always disappointed when I remember that it doesn't happen during the scene with Oliver Babish and Toby in the Roosevelt Room.

TOBY
No one. Ed and Larry.

BABISH
Who?

TOBY
They stuck their heads in, wanted to run something by me, I told them to
go away.

BABISH
Did you discuss the leak or the investigation in any way?

TOBY
We didn't discuss anything. I was curt and dismissive, as instructed.

BABISH
Yeah, I'm going to need their full names and extensions.

It was *RIGHT THERE*, damnit. And then nothing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So Josh and Donna are in Alpha House.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Finishing up my rewatch, liking the campaign stuff. Just saw the "As Good Day" episode, the one where the Canadian ranchers trap the American hunters. The whole invasion plan conversations were hilarious.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
As has often been said, a true friend tells another friend the truth. And on some issues, we must speak candidly, or we could not in all honesty hold the great honor of being known the world over as Indonesia's friend.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Also doing a full rewatch, and I still don't know what the hell the director and cinematographer of Here Today (7-5) were thinking. The shots, the lagtime-- I get that they're trying to build tension, but an unforgivable number of the angles that got used were downright ridiculous.

Besides that, the talking-to Jed gave Toby seemed unnaturally harsh. I think I'd just kind of fair-weather watched S7 before, because I never caught how caustic that whole scene was. I can understand why Schiff was so pissed off about it. It didn't make a lot of sense to me that the resignation wasn't accepted, besides. I get that there's some butthurt going on, but goddamn. Talk about hanging the man out to dry out of loving nowhere, saying nothing of how out of character it was for Toby to give up that kind of information.

Loving Alan Alda as always, but I'm a tried-and-true MASH fan, so seeing him in pretty much anything is automatic love.

All in all, I'm glad I took the advice of another poster on this thread re: 'seasons 5 through 7 aren't as good as the first four, but West Wing being mediocre is still better than most shows.' It's true, but I think the hellish low-point is Here Today, without question.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 7, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the hellish lowpoint was the reality TV episode in season 5.

Which makes the high highs of "The Surpemes" even more perplexing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The writers hosed Toby in the rear end like fresh meat at a penitentiary.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man, watching Newsroom, and there's gonna be a plotline about a something in Equatorial Kundu. Like, c'mon Aaron, you couldn't make up another name for a fake African country?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

FISHMANPET posted:

Man, watching Newsroom, and there's gonna be a plotline about a something in Equatorial Kundu. Like, c'mon Aaron, you couldn't make up another name for a fake African country?

I like that about his shows. Little easter eggs can be fun. :shrug:

e: Also, poo poo, I completely forgot to make a Newsroom thread.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

JohnSherman posted:

IIRC correctly there's a Santos campaign poster hanging in someone's office in Studio 60. I also might be the only person on this planet that liked Studio 60, but 30 Rock is the better show, and there's only so much room in the NBC lineup for "shows about FakeSNL"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm surprised - I thought the Newsroom was supposed to be about fictional news people covering real events?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They also do fake news. Last season they reported on something that turned out to be a hoax.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

They also do fake news. Last season they reported on something that turned out to be a hoax.

Still based on a true event, though...

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 10, 2014

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

withak posted:

I had to look up who Josh was playing because holy crap I didn't notice that. It's not a very big part anyway.

Meanwhile Donna as Stanchion was amazing.

I know these people have real names but they're always going to be Toby and Sam and CJ to me. CJ was in season 2 of Veep, as it happens.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

Newsroom is not worth the trouble of making a thread.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Antti posted:

I had to look up who Josh was playing because holy crap I didn't notice that. It's not a very big part anyway.

I know these people have real names but they're always going to be Toby and Sam and CJ to me. CJ was in season 2 of Veep, as it happens.

On Veep, her character says "Access?! Who brags about access?!" and I believe that's a reference to the awful West Wing episode of the same name and will stand by that if I ever meet anyone who gives enough of a poo poo to disagree with me.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Antti posted:

CJ is awesome on Mom though, and i love that Janney has a chance to show her comedic side. She does deadpan so loving well it's scary.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Josh Lyman posted:

Newsroom is not worth the trouble of making a thread.

What, i'm loving it.... I have loved everything Sorkin has done though, including Studio 60 and Sports Night.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

willie_dee posted:

What, i'm loving it.... I have loved everything Sorkin has done though, including Studio 60 and Sports Night.

Even Sorkin doesn't think they're that good:

“I’ve loved every minute I’ve spent in television. And I’ve had much more failure,
as traditionally measured, than success in television.
I’ve done four shows, and only one of them was The West Wing.”

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sports night is probably my least favorite, but I'll eat up any show that Sorkin does, regardless of how good or bad it is.

I also loved Studio 60, but agree there's no way NBC could handle two behind the scenes shows. Even though they were totally different, at first glance I lumped them together.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Episode S1E19 "Let Bartlet Be Bartlet", while great, feels like a missed opportunity. Much of the episode is concerned with a damning opposition memo Mandy writes about the Bartlet administration. I realize it's meant to spur the titular thrust of the episode, but in retrospect it was a chance to give Mandy a sympathetic end. Fire her for letting the memo leak. The staff are mad enough to make that action believable. Meanwhile the viewers are, for the first time, sympathetic towards Mandy, as her firing is a naked covering up of their own mistakes. Danny even mentions this outright: not immediately asking her what they need to fix.

I understand why none of this happened, that axing Mandy was a between-seasons decision, but whatever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

So I get to S1E10 "Noël" and remember that this is the only episode of a Sorkin show centring around a session with a psychologist that I actually enjoy.

Then the story credit comes up and it's someone else.

I guess I don't enjoy any Sorkin episodes with psychologists.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Newsroom's finale episode is going to be called "What Kind of Day Has It Been". I think we all knew that was coming.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I haven't watched the Newsroom, but I think it would have been kinda neat if it shared its universe with the West Wing, and occasionally you'd get the media's POV on major WW events.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

pokeyman posted:

So I get to S1E10 "Noël" and remember that this is the only episode of a Sorkin show centring around a session with a psychologist that I actually enjoy.

Then the story credit comes up and it's someone else.

I guess I don't enjoy any Sorkin episodes with psychologists.

Are you saying that Freudian slips are not the be-all and end-all of psychology? :colbert:

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
EDIT: I can't read.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Slashrat posted:

I haven't watched the Newsroom, but I think it would have been kinda neat if it shared its universe with the West Wing, and occasionally you'd get the media's POV on major WW events.

No it runs a year behind real world events.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Aaron Sorkin was on Seth Meyers last night, which lead to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlQTeUzC4s

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Why is the walk and talk considered a Sorkin thing when Tommy Schlamme (Chris Misiano?) came up with it as a way to engage the viewer during the interminable scenes of nothing but dialogue in the scripts written by, yep, Aaron Sorkin.

It's an invention known for its mother.

(Also that sketch was great!)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Why is the walk and talk considered a Sorkin thing when Tommy Schlamme (Chris Misiano?) came up with it as a way to engage the viewer during the interminable scenes of nothing but dialogue in the scripts written by, yep, Aaron Sorkin.

It's an invention known for its mother.

(Also that sketch was great!)
TV shows tend to have multiple/revolving directors, and ultimately, television is a writer's medium. After all, do you think of West Wing as Sorkin's show or Schlamme's show?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

TV shows tend to have multiple/revolving directors, and ultimately, television is a writer's medium. After all, do you think of West Wing as Sorkin's show or Schlamme's show?

Both, honestly. But not everyone's listened to all the DVD commentaries, so your point is well taken.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The work Tommy Salami did on Sports Night is incredible. I had no idea that was one huge set and that they filmed in front of a studio audience.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
If you're into production you know Schlamme invented it. If you're not, Sorkin is the hero or the goat, and thats why he's famous.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

pokeyman posted:

Both, honestly. But not everyone's listened to all the DVD commentaries, so your point is well taken.

Some of us live in countries where the dvd boxed sets were $90 per season and didn't even have commentaries.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Some of us live in countries where the dvd boxed sets were $90 per season and didn't even have commentaries.

The MP3s are findable. I highly recommend it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

willie_dee posted:

Sports Night is actually Sorkins best show.

Even if the repeating dialogue in season 1 did get a bit old.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/17/politics/twitter-republicans-outside-groups/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

quote:

Washington (CNN) -- Republicans and outside groups used anonymous Twitter accounts to share internal polling data ahead of the midterm elections, CNN has learned, a practice that raises questions about whether they violated campaign finance laws that prohibit coordination.

The Twitter accounts were hidden in plain sight. The profiles were publicly available but meaningless without knowledge of how to find them and decode the information, according to a source with knowledge of the activities.

The practice is the latest effort in the quest by political operatives to exploit the murky world of campaign finance laws at a time when limits on spending in politics are eroding and regulators are being defanged.

The law says that outside groups, such as super PACs and non-profits, can spend freely on political causes as long as they don't coordinate their plans with campaigns. Sharing costly internal polls in private, for instance, could signal to the campaign committees where to focus precious time and resources.

The groups behind the operation had a sense of humor about what they were doing. One Twitter account was named after Bruno Gianelli, a fictional character in The West Wing who pressed his colleagues to use ethically questionable "soft money" to fund campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

withak posted:

Is Alpha House good? I may need to watch. I know it has John Goodman but I've been burned too many times before on Washington-politics-TV shows.

• Locked thread