Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

terezi still best troll status: yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh, and Crowbar keeps being great over in Paradox Space.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I told you Terezi had this poo poo on lockdown. :smug:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I forgot how much Terezi owned when she didn't suck.

It's amazing how much better most of the characters are when they're angry and miserable as opposed to angsty and miserable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I got such a big grin on my face as Terezi came flying through the sky.

The best troll

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So... John's retcon powers are different than time travel... in that they... kind of shift the alpha timeline?

So if he goes back and fixes things... he doesn't turn this into a doomed timeline, he just makes it so it never exists or something?

I mean, 'cause that was the reason Dave gave up time-travel shenanigans, right? Doomed timelines meant a version of all your friends die.

John earlier mucked about with this, changing events back and forth, and he assured Dave he wasn't loving with things too bad. There was no implication that he created a doomed timeline (which has been established as a Bad Thing, if I'm remembering right), he just... fixed things.

So does this mean that this Roxy for instance, with the (sad) development she's had, is not going to go all doomed timeline, but instead will simply never happen once John retcons things?

Or am I entirely mistaken about how unique Johns power is, relative to time travel, and he's just going to create a new alpha timeline, leaving this one doomed?

How are these even questions I'm asking? What the gently caress Homestuck? What are you even doing?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Trolls are hard as gently caress to kill huh?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eiba posted:

So... John's retcon powers are different than time travel... in that they... kind of shift the alpha timeline?

So if he goes back and fixes things... he doesn't turn this into a doomed timeline, he just makes it so it never exists or something?

I mean, 'cause that was the reason Dave gave up time-travel shenanigans, right? Doomed timelines meant a version of all your friends die.

John earlier mucked about with this, changing events back and forth, and he assured Dave he wasn't loving with things too bad. There was no implication that he created a doomed timeline (which has been established as a Bad Thing, if I'm remembering right), he just... fixed things.

So does this mean that this Roxy for instance, with the (sad) development she's had, is not going to go all doomed timeline, but instead will simply never happen once John retcons things?

Or am I entirely mistaken about how unique Johns power is, relative to time travel, and he's just going to create a new alpha timeline, leaving this one doomed?

How are these even questions I'm asking? What the gently caress Homestuck? What are you even doing?

John's powers do not leave behind a doomed timeline. He just changes the Alpha, which is supposed to be impossible but he got it through some mysterious artefact so whatever. If he does retcon this away he'll be the only one to remember it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unless there's some BS with 'nobody will remember, so Roxy steals her forgetfulness' or something.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
What if the Alpha Timeline only is the Alpha because of John's actions? Perhaps literally every other timeline is doomed only because John didn't happen to use his retcon powers to save that timeline.

Also maybe once John gains more control over his Authorial Authority he can zap other people around the timeline as well as himself. If he can do that I could maybe expect him to bring Roxy and Terezi along to help him solve the timeline as a group effort instead of by-himself. That would bring up the issue of doomed duplicates of people though. Maybe he'd bring Dirk over instead since it's in Dirk's nature to for his self to splinter about into multiple entities.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
A "John Fixes Everything" flash featuring https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_icK3AHDgc would be an acceptable way to fix this mess.

EDIT: Oh my god http://mspaforums.com/showthread.php?58577-CalCoin!-WORKING

Jen X fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 10, 2014

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Davinci posted:

What if the Alpha Timeline only is the Alpha because of John's actions? Perhaps literally every other timeline is doomed only because John didn't happen to use his retcon powers to save that timeline.

Also maybe once John gains more control over his Authorial Authority he can zap other people around the timeline as well as himself. If he can do that I could maybe expect him to bring Roxy and Terezi along to help him solve the timeline as a group effort instead of by-himself. That would bring up the issue of doomed duplicates of people though. Maybe he'd bring Dirk over instead since it's in Dirk's nature to for his self to splinter about into multiple entities.
I've just realised something. Wizardly Herbert, a story all about a pair of characters retconning their own story, is going to end up being prophetic.

Maybe that means Roxy will find a way back, just so she can make that observation.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 10, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
[S] John: Do the fixy thing

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i imagine a flash would be more "john trying to fix things and not succeeding through an undefined number of timelines before finally managing to pull together something that sorta works" kind of thing rather than just acing it first try,

but i like pain so

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Paul.Power posted:

I've just realised something. Wizardly Herbert, a story all about a pair of characters retconning their own story, is going to end up being prophetic.

Maybe that means Roxy will find a way back, just so she can make that observation.

I don't know if it's prophetic, exactly - Hussie said it was another story idea he had at the same time as or before Homestuck but never fully developed, so he's probably incorporated a lot of ideas from it into Homestuck. More of a prototype.

Edit: Going to add that Roxy sounds a wee bit suicidal there. Might be worth addressing.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 10, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tollymain posted:

but i like pain so

Me too, that's why I read Homestuck! :downsrim:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Still interested in seeing where this is going, but if John recons everything it's going to make everything that's happened so far entirely pointless and I'm not sure how I feel about that :/ why even bother showing us this if it's just going to go away thanks to a deus ex machina plot device?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is terezi wearing jade's shoes? they seem awfully sparkly

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Tollymain posted:

is terezi wearing jade's shoes? they seem awfully sparkly

I was just about to point that out. All I can gather about that is she payed a visit to Dave's corpse.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hey look, Old Terezi's back to be cool.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Terezi has always been cool, she's just been through some terrible poo poo.
Thank you, Terezi, for reminding everyone that you are, indeed, the best troll.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Still interested in seeing where this is going, but if John recons everything it's going to make everything that's happened so far entirely pointless and I'm not sure how I feel about that :/ why even bother showing us this if it's just going to go away thanks to a deus ex machina plot device?

Hussie wrote himself into a corner and is trying to resolve the dead-end that existed from before the gigapause even started, with some character development along the way. It's not just this recent stuff that's going to be obliterated, it'll be a fair bit of the content from quite a while back that ended up dragging the plot to the current position. He gave himself an out, and he's taking it.

At least, that's how I see it.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dolash posted:

I don't know if it's prophetic, exactly - Hussie said it was another story idea he had at the same time as or before Homestuck but never fully developed, so he's probably incorporated a lot of ideas from it into Homestuck. More of a prototype.

Edit: Going to add that Roxy sounds a wee bit suicidal there. Might be worth addressing.
Yeah, I'm not expecting John to start shooting anyone, or considering people to be not people.

But we might end up with some very metafictional logs out of this (well, even more so than usual).

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I forgot how much Terezi owned when she didn't suck.

I love and agree with everything about this sentence.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Fucknag posted:

terezi still best troll status: yes

She also wins by default. :downs:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Newest update is good. For both Homestuck and Paradox Space. I can already tell the latter is going to have some severe mind-mangling moments in it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

David Copperfield posted:

She also wins by default. :downs:

Well, if you exclude all the others just because they're dead, sure.

(also sollux aradia etc)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

GeneX posted:

Hussie wrote himself into a corner and is trying to resolve the dead-end that existed from before the gigapause even started, with some character development along the way. It's not just this recent stuff that's going to be obliterated, it'll be a fair bit of the content from quite a while back that ended up dragging the plot to the current position. He gave himself an out, and he's taking it.

At least, that's how I see it.

I'd be surprised if Hussie went into this arc without any idea how it would be resolved. It would make sense to write it this way if John gets something to take back with him (even if it was just some important knowledge or new skill). That way John gets a power up he might not have had otherwise, and puts him in position to take on the bad guys.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope we just get the exact Game Over Flash again but every time someone's about to die John zaps in and tackles them out of the way. The flash goes on as normal otherwise.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Fucknag posted:

Well, if you exclude all the others just because they're dead, sure.

(also sollux aradia etc)

Sollux and Aradia are as good as dead, considering they don't contribute anything.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Aradia might not be contributing a lot at the moment, but I don't think she's done contributing to the story even if she's hanging around ghosts.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Does Terezi actually know John can do something about this, or is she just desperate?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Yes, she warned him from using it as soon as he mentioned his ability to Dave and her, saying he'd gently caress things up

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A good poster posted:

Does Terezi actually know John can do something about this, or is she just desperate?

Seer of Mind. She can see the consequences of an action, so even if she doesn't know exactly what John can do she probably understands that he can at least do something.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I hope we just get the exact Game Over Flash again but every time someone's about to die John zaps in and tackles them out of the way. The flash goes on as normal otherwise.

So, would this be a new game+ or just a quick-load? :v:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

It feels like the obvious point for John to go back to is to grab the Ring of Life before Gamzee can take it for Aranea. It only solves the problems Aranea kicked off, and you've still got Condy, evil-Jade, evil-Jane and the glitches to deal with, but at least it'd get things back to a (relatively) stable baseline.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Can't you just taste how miserable everyone feels? Two of the most upbeat characters in Homestuck just declared that everything is a failure. Ain't that something.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

NewMars posted:

So, would this be a new game+ or just a quick-load? :v:

Neither, it'd be exactly that part from Chrono Trigger. He keeps pausing time before people die and replacing them with creepy, lifelike dolls. Or cosplayers.

Also I'm seeing Terezi as the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the amount of wounds she's got by this point.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 10, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe more like a reverse bk. she gonna kick john's rear end til he snaps out of it, then as soon as she's won she's going to keel over

has she taken the biggest beating and lived so far that we've seen? she's been mauled, impaled, cratered, self-cratered, and she's still on her feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'd be surprised if Hussie went into this arc without any idea how it would be resolved. It would make sense to write it this way if John gets something to take back with him (even if it was just some important knowledge or new skill). That way John gets a power up he might not have had otherwise, and puts him in position to take on the bad guys.

I think post-gagapause he knew where he was going, and that was to remove this stuff. Thus the flash killing a ton of characters, neatly setting up an even more urgent need to go back in time and rewrite history. Pre-gigapause, I doubt he thought about how much of an issue having the big confrontation with the minor villain at this point instead of later would be.

I agree that the most important outcome of this thing will probably be John getting a power up of some sort, but I think there's some character development tucked in here that is interesting; even if it'll be erased, we got an insight into some of the characters we otherwise wouldn't have, especially regarding their reactions to, well, mass death.