Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Suspicious Cook posted:

But speaking of Sonic, what kind of dark magic keeps him around?

Sonic's design is brilliant

mabels big day posted:

Gex the gecko had some good games.

I liked the Playstation/N64 one where you go into different movie parodies and he dressed up as James Bond and poo poo. I don't want to play it nowadays and ruin my memories of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

mabels big day posted:

Gex the gecko had some good games.

But he still didn't survive the 90's Mascot Purge. Not even Spyro lasted much longer than the turn of the century. I'm just trying to figure out why Sonic did. Did he just have too much 'tude?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic still has huge mindshare in a lot of the world, even among children who've never played any of the original games, so Sonic Boom is Sega's attempt to parlay that brand recognition into something that actually makes them money.

This game in particular is bad because it runs on an engine that barely works on Wii U and because they felt the need to add every stupid Sonic gimmick from the last ten years without even attempting any of the parts people like or expect from a Sonic game.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Sonic's design is brilliant

I liked the Playstation/N64 one where you go into different movie parodies and he dressed up as James Bond and poo poo. I don't want to play it nowadays and ruin my memories of it

It holds up okay-ish...except for the camera because 90s 3D platformer. Otherwise it's fine. I definitely liked it more when I was a kid though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Yeah this is the one I played as a kid and it ruled.

edit: no wait, I played Gex 3.

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 10, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Cook posted:

But he still didn't survive the 90's Mascot Purge. Not even Spyro lasted much longer than the turn of the century. I'm just trying to figure out why Sonic did. Did he just have too much 'tude?

Because Sonic was the one all the other cash-in mascots were trying to be and everyone knew that even then. That and autism.

And I guess because at the time at least he had the best games out of the bunch too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Suspicious Cook posted:

But speaking of Sonic, what kind of dark magic keeps him around?

Butt Rock and brand awareness.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Sonic Boom sucked well

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is still good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Let's be honest here, did anyone expect Sonic Boom to be good? It's a spinoff that's a tie-in to an upcoming cartoon, what about that actually seems like something that developers would put effort in?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is it still a thing here to challenge someone to post their receipt if they talk about playing a game before release?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Butt Rock and brand awareness.

I can accept that. I do unashamedly enjoy butt rock and Sonic does it well.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is still good

This is also true. It's not really a Sonic game but it is really fun.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Sonic is kept alive due to a steady sacrifice of original characters do not steal.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I used a stolen (via the Internet) credit card number to order a CD from the now-defunct CDNow (which was eventually acquired by Amazon I believe) and had it shipped to my home address. I was so eaten up with guilt and paranoia by the time it arrived, that I mailed it back with a hand-written note something along the lines of "this was mailed to me in error, please take it back." They returned it to me, thanking me for being honest, and told me to keep it. Also it's cool that I'm telling you all this because this was like 18 years ago right??? Statute of limitations etc. I would never download a game and I would never steal a car.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still like Sonic games alot when they're good, but it's of course a crap shoot these days but at least they have made some good ones. I do feel like this is yet another conversation we've had like a dozen times though.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I feel that Nintendo missed an opportunity with the amiibos, all the amiibos should be doing fabulous poses straight out of JoJo.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The_Frag_Man posted:

I feel that Nintendo missed an opportunity with the amiibos, all the amiibos should be doing fabulous poses straight out of JoJo.

Pretend I posted that "taste of a liar" manga page but with Yoshi and Mario instead.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Let's be honest here, did anyone expect Sonic Boom to be good? It's a spinoff that's a tie-in to an upcoming cartoon, what about that actually seems like something that developers would put effort in?
I didn't really expect it to be good, but the devs are ex-Naughty Dog so I could only hope that meant something. Clearly I'm disappointed.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
hehehe, meat bundle

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Scholtz posted:

Kind of a weird retailer based question, but one Target in my area has Bayonetta 2, but no Pikmin 3 in stock, and another target has no Bayonetta 2, but like 10 Pikmin 3 in stock. Both had Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors in stock. Is there any way to have one store transfer a copy of the game to another? Or do I have to search around for a store that has all three games that I want?

...would it kill you to go to both stores?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hedrigall posted:

...would it kill you to go to both stores?

I believe the point is a buy2get1 deal

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Scholtz posted:

Kind of a weird retailer based question, but one Target in my area has Bayonetta 2, but no Pikmin 3 in stock, and another target has no Bayonetta 2, but like 10 Pikmin 3 in stock. Both had Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors in stock. Is there any way to have one store transfer a copy of the game to another? Or do I have to search around for a store that has all three games that I want?

Oh, and I know I want Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2, but should I get Hyrule Warriors or Tropical Freeze? I feel like HW is always going to keep its $60 price tag, and DK's price tag is already dropping.

Easiest way for you to get your answer is to just call the stores and ask them to do it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nintendo Expects First Wave Of Amiibo To Be Hard To Find

I love you Nintendo but you misspelled "Hopes"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBhZ2L39Kg

Sigh... despite hating the first Xenoblade quite a bit, I gotta say XCX looks pretty loving good. I might have to preorder it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

Sigh... despite hating the first Xenoblade quite a bit, I gotta say XCX looks pretty loving good. I might have to preorder it.

It's the giant robots that can transform in tanks and jets and poo poo, isn't it? There aren't many games I can think of that wouldn't be improved by adding giant robots.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Actually it's the cool alien races :3:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's the giant robots that can transform in tanks and jets and poo poo, isn't it? There aren't many games I can think of that wouldn't be improved by adding giant robots.

Pikmin.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

At the beginning of the game your spaceship gets eaten by a gigantic robot, you escape the metallic stomach with your pikmin friends and the rest of the game is about exploring the robot's cybernetic organs.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

homeless snail posted:

At the beginning of the game your spaceship gets eaten by a gigantic robot, you escape the metallic stomach with your pikmin friends and the rest of the game is about exploring the robot's cybernetic organs.
It's incredibly unfortunate that Bulborbs aren't really characters and/or don't have giant robot cousins because Bowser's Inside Story but Pikmin would be a phenomenal pitch for even part of the fourth installment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BFC posted:

It's incredibly unfortunate that Bulborbs aren't really characters and/or don't have giant robot cousins because Bowser's Inside Story but Pikmin would be a phenomenal pitch for even part of the fourth installment.

The difference between Bowser and bulborbs is that bulborbs chew.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Scholtz posted:

Oh, and I know I want Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2, but should I get Hyrule Warriors or Tropical Freeze? I feel like HW is always going to keep its $60 price tag, and DK's price tag is already dropping.

I've played through Tropical Freeze entirely and it was a lot of fun. I started playing Hyrule Warriors last night and got two missions in and declared the game cool as gently caress. Really depends what you want to do; do you want tip-top platforming, accompanied by beautiful visuals and a great soundtrack? Or do you want to cut your way through thousands of enemies while being dealt non-stop stream of Zelda fan service? you can't go wrong with either game from a fun standpoint.

I'd say go with Hyrule Warriors if you're seeing DK's price dropping.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
We're a third of the way through November, two weeks away from Black Friday-Christmas peak shopping season, and no Smash console bundle has been announced still. I don't think it's coming, guys, and so my watch (for a Wii U super bundle) continues :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exioce posted:

We're a third of the way through November, two weeks away from Black Friday-Christmas peak shopping season, and no Smash console bundle has been announced still. I don't think it's coming, guys, and so my watch (for a Wii U super bundle) continues :(

Don't worry, it'll come. They're just waiting on you to buckle and purchase a standalone WiiU before they announce it.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't worry, it'll come. They're just waiting on you to buckle and purchase a standalone WiiU before they announce it.

There's still hope!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/11/super-smash-bros-wii-u-bundle-spotted-on-amazon-uk/

https://twitter.com/Sector__X/status/530900447620771840/photo/1

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Fremry posted:

Let's talk about games. I just finished Wind Waker HD, and it was definitely awesome. Took me forever, and people in here gave me a pep talk to continue to play it, but definitely worth it. It's also the only Zelda game that I've actually finished.

I should pick it up again and finish. Many times throughout my life I've picked up Wind Waker, made it pretty far and then put it down. Right around the time I had to start looking up guides to figure out how to water all the little trees, since there's still no way to write on the map in game.

Things like that.

I really paid for Wind Waker in fact I've bought it several times.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

BFC posted:

They could make it about these guys:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

I should pick it up again and finish. Many times throughout my life I've picked up Wind Waker, made it pretty far and then put it down. Right around the time I had to start looking up guides to figure out how to water all the little trees, since there's still no way to write on the map in game.

Things like that.

I really paid for Wind Waker in fact I've bought it several times.

You do know you don't have to do all the sidequests right?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Andrast posted:

You do know you don't have to do all the sidequests right?

How do I know I've beaten the game it seems like it just lets you keep plying until you get bored.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Nolgthorn posted:

How do I know I've beaten the game it seems like it just lets you keep plying until you get bored.

The trees you need to water show up on your map automatically when you take the quest, and change to indicate they've been watered once you water them. You don't need a guide or to write it down.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

oddium posted:

They could make it about these guys:

Those are Bulborbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

They're parasite Pikmin that grow their roots into the Bulborb's brain and then they get added to your group and it owns

• Locked thread