Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Playing blood banks and demon judgement doesn't count against the no damage achievements, good thing to know.

IPECAC + wafer with no flight, no orbitals, and way too many shot speed upgrades on the womb. Earning mama's boy is probably the last thing I'd expect to accomplish, but somehow I did. :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I dunno why people have had trouble with the Purist challenge, in my experience it's pretty easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCt0b22EXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=044lMYoQSKY

e: this was literally my first try as well getting carried is a pretty good strategy

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 10, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It probably should have been a challenge unlock from something difficult like The Purist, as a measure of balance to its amazing power.

The Purist? Difficult? That one's just a challenge (:v:). Difficult is any of the ones that blindfold you. I honestly am amazed I managed to actually complete Solar System earlier today.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Just got a pretty hilarious combo in Ludevico Technique and Parasite. Giant tear hovering over enemies splitting into tinier tears which hit the enemy and split into tinier tears which also hit the enemy...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ludevico generally leads to hilarious results no matter what other mods it's paired up with.
I wish it showed up more often...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Make it the reward for Suicide King: Mutant Spider, The Lost, and Mega Satan edition.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

Mushrooman posted:

If anyone wants to play around with Monstro's Lung, I got a pretty good seed for it:

XCNS
S1C9

Everyone do this. In floor 4, you get chocolate milk, and they synergize really well.

Edit: On floor 6 you get Ipecac and :vince:

Observe Me fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 10, 2014

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
First Mom's knife run for me. Did they mess with the freaking range/momentum on this thing? Half the time it feels like Mom's Tomahawk Rocket instead.

Also, you would think that Mom's Knife + Ludovico Technique synergise well. They kinda do (you can basically auto-kill the heart by putting the knife on top of it and waiting) but it moves EXTREMELY slow and it seems that its damage is nerfed.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

shodanjr_gr posted:

Also, you would think that Mom's Knife + Ludovico Technique synergise well. They kinda do (you can basically auto-kill the heart by putting the knife on top of it and waiting) but it moves EXTREMELY slow and it seems that its damage is nerfed.

I think that's a result of the Ludo. Mom's knife is still easily capable of two or even one-shotting most bosses with a damage upgrade or two, but Ludovico seems to have a bit of a damage penalty in exchange for being controllable. You can really notice it with Brimstone. A brim circle may melt bosses pretty quickly, but it's still slower than one-shotting them with a quadshot or Poly-powered brimstone shot.

e: Er, slightly misread your post so I think I just basically repeated what you were saying.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm jealous of all the sick Ludovico technique combos people are getting, the only time it's dropped for me was my first Eve run. The only interesting interaction I got out of it was a Robo-baby 2.0 uselessly spazzing out while I controlled the tear.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People keep saying you can blow up the statues in Devil/Angel rooms but everytime I try nothing happens.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Internet Kraken posted:

People keep saying you can blow up the statues in Devil/Angel rooms but everytime I try nothing happens.

Have you been to The Dark Room yet?

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Observe Me posted:

Everyone do this. In floor 4, you get chocolate milk, and they synergize really well.

Oh my lord I died laughing when I walked into Mega Fatty's room directly after getting the Chocolate Milk and immediately murdered him.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Well, that's it, my luck is just being strangely insane. Fourth character to Mom's Heart/Satan was Eve. At this rate, I'm going to unlock Blue Baby and beat the Chest with him before I even get a heart kill with Azazel.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
This is so not cool. I get the goat head item out of a chest and of the three angel rooms I've had so far I've gotten the bible, holy water, and the loving rosary.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

azazel + ludovico = walk into rooms to win

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Observe Me posted:

I picked up ipecac and my entire room bouncing murder scythes promptly killed me, this is amazing.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

Felix_Cat posted:

This is so not cool. I get the goat head item out of a chest and of the three angel rooms I've had so far I've gotten the bible, holy water, and the loving rosary.

Hold on I got one more angel room, my last one. It had three soul hearts :shepicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So on floor one of my Cain run I got fetus jar. Then on floor 2 I blew open a hidden room with ludivoco technique inside. This effectively gives you remote control bombs :wom:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Observe Me posted:

Where do you even get the lung? At the end of basement 2 the most interesting thing I had was rubber cement.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
first item room. guess you unlocked something that changed how the seed works

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tollymain posted:

first item room. guess you unlocked something that changed how the seed works

I guess. I got Mom's Perfume instead. And the gnawed leaf on the 3rd floor.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well, is the end result of that seed if you go to the chest. The real disappointment is the RNG won't let you fight mega satan. Protopis, death's touch, chocolate milk and monstro's lung is a hell of a drug. Auto killed everything in every room instantly.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think I may have screwed myself out of 100% completion. I had a few runs early on before I unlocked It Lives where I took a devil room spawn to go to Sheol early, and because of that (presumably) there are several womb endings that I don't have unlocked, and because the chest no longer spawns when you beat it lives I don't have any way to get those endings. Or do I?

That is a sucky feeling, I hope they fix that problem somehow because there is no way in hell I'm redoing all that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

13/f/cali posted:

I think I may have screwed myself out of 100% completion. I had a few runs early on before I unlocked It Lives where I took a devil room spawn to go to Sheol early, and because of that (presumably) there are several womb endings that I don't have unlocked, and because the chest no longer spawns when you beat it lives I don't have any way to get those endings. Or do I?

That is a sucky feeling, I hope they fix that problem somehow because there is no way in hell I'm redoing all that.

Huh? If you go to sheol/cathedral the ending is still there, you can view it in the ending viewer.

Right now I have ending 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 12, and 13 unlocked, for example, because my last 2 finished runs went to cathedral and sheol, respectively.

(Check your ending viewer you should have them all up to 10 unlocked with the corresponding items)

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

This run's safety provided to you by: the Trinity Shield, the Mask of Infamy, three orbital flies, and blue flies every other second.
Not pictured: Monstro's Lung + Ipecac.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zoness posted:

Huh? If you go to sheol/cathedral the ending is still there, you can view it in the ending viewer.

Right now I have ending 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 12, and 13 unlocked, for example, because my last 2 finished runs went to cathedral and sheol, respectively.

(Check your ending viewer you should have them all up to 10 unlocked with the corresponding items)

I have ending 4 and 11-16 unlocked and all the rest are locked.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I need help badly. I played the original BoI briefly and learned the basics. After playing Rebirth I seem to be struggling on Normal with Isaac and I only have 1 mom kill out of 30+ deaths. Is this normal? Should I be resetting if I have bad spawns on floor one?

Any advice other than playing slow? Are there any guides for intermediate players?

You guys all seem to have lots of completed things and I'm nowhere near any of that.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

im gay posted:

I need help badly. I played the original BoI briefly and learned the basics. After playing Rebirth I seem to be struggling on Normal with Isaac and I only have 1 mom kill out of 30+ deaths. Is this normal? Should I be resetting if I have bad spawns on floor one?

Any advice other than playing slow? Are there any guides for intermediate players?

You guys all seem to have lots of completed things and I'm nowhere near any of that.

Keep trucking through it and unlocking items.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

im gay posted:

at first, if you didn't play the original a lot like most of us, you ARE gonna die a lot because of lack of familiarity and good unlocked items/knowing how to use some stuff effectively. 30 deaths and 1 mom kill for someone who is more or less inexperienced is alright.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Ludo + Coal is loving fantastic.

Especially in that double-wide, double-height boss rush room. :getin:

What item is it that spawns flies on kills? Because if you make a fly "profit" for a few rooms you have a blue halo of instant death.

E: Also did Samson's bloodlust always go up with damage? Sacrifice rooms take him from powerful at the end of a floor to "HOLY poo poo LOL" levels of damage.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

13/f/cali posted:

I have ending 4 and 11-16 unlocked and all the rest are locked.

End 5 triggers/corresponds to everything is terrible - did you somehow never trigger that? In my game I know I skipped actually opening the chest for that run and still got the ending recorded.

That's really weird and seems kind of like a bug.

im gay posted:

I think I'd order it as play through the levels as much as you can - there's a lot of different playstyles but most people prefer high damage/low risk strategies and you'll generally have better options over the course of a run if you're good at avoiding damage (like, all damage) from the second level onward, so getting a feel for enemy attack patterns is also helpful.

In the original it took me like 20-some runs to finally kill mom so it's certainly not that weird one way or the other.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 10, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Holy poo poo, I'm finally done with Beans!, Solar System, and Cat Got Your Tongue. Please tell me there aren't any more blindfold challenges.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so it turns out beating Cursed is really easy if you have the broken watch, the pact, the squeezy doll, dark matter, and death's touch

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

so it turns out beating Cursed is really easy if you have the broken watch, the pact, the squeezy doll, dark matter, and death's touch

Broken Watch is aptly pretty broken. I'm not sure what the percent rate on it activating a slow is but afaik the slow doesn't expire which trivializes even the most obnoxious of bosses.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Zoness posted:

Broken Watch is aptly pretty broken. I'm not sure what the percent rate on it activating a slow is but afaik the slow doesn't expire which trivializes even the most obnoxious of bosses.

If you think that's broken wait till your donation machine gets to 999 and you unlock the Stop Watch. It slows every room.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
holy poo poo gently caress bob's brain. I was having a great run early and that stupid loving item ruined everything.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

im gay posted:

No, you're good, that's pretty normal.

If you want to accelerate, make as many devil deals per run as possible. That's actually not a terrible idea in general, but the reason I really say it is because the unlockable character Azazel is really good if he fits with your play style.

Not that it really matters, because you'll still have to beat the game a lot of times with everyone else. Hell, if your main goal is 100% completion you probably won't play Azazel much at all, because you'll win quick and move on to the next thing. But it feels nice to have a few good Azazel wins under your belt while you're getting good, you know?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Also what's the deal with items and bosses showing up constantly? Bob's brain is so common. So is Gurdy and Monstro. It kind of ruins the whole "hey I wonder what's going to happen next" vibe at least on the early floors. It gets pretty good at around the depths I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zoness posted:

End 5 triggers/corresponds to everything is terrible - did you somehow never trigger that? In my game I know I skipped actually opening the chest for that run and still got the ending recorded.

That's really weird and seems kind of like a bug.

I did trigger that, I have the secret and achievement for it, but I don't have that ending unlocked somehow.

I had this tendency at times to skip the end cutscenes. I would not be surprised if skipping the cutscene somehow made it not record. Or perhaps something else entirely.

I hope somehow that gets resolved in a patch or something.